WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

90th

rusteze

ADMIN

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
littlehand

PostSubject: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:48 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by littlehand on Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
old historian2

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:02 pm

Your forgot the Link Littlehand. (Please post)
Back to top Go down
joe

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:02 am

Hi OldH,
The link is there its just the mans name-just click his name

thanks joe
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:54 pm

Hi All

Suspect I am at the moment not sure if he took part in the Zulu War Suspect

I have not been able to find any evidence that he took part yet scratch

William de Passey and family (1918)
William de Passey, a member of the Light Horse headquarters staff 1913-1918, photographed with his wife and family in the garden of their home in Kent Street, Adelaide. At this time he held the rank of Major and was the Camp Commandant at Mitcham Camp, South Australia during the 1st World War. Behind: Edwyna ('Queenie') May de Passey (nee Read) and Lieutenant Roy de Passey 3rd Tunnelling Coy. In front: Major William de Passey, his wife Louisa Amelia Augusta (nee Wegener), with the daughter of Roy and Edwyna, Una Erica, (later Summerville).

Major William de Passey and Lt. Roy de Passey (1918)
Lieutenant Roy de Passey 3rd Tunnelling Coy, standing behind Major William de Passey, taken in the garden of William and Louisa de Passey in Kent Street, Adelaide.
Source: State Library of South Australia
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:53 am

What is meant by this.

"Although he does not appear on the Medal Roll for the 17th Lancers at the last great battle of the Zulu War – at Ulundi on 4 July 1879 - he almost certainly was there or close by"
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:20 pm

Hi Littlehand

I have been doing a little digging with regards to William De Passey.

Found this Newspaper clipping, claiming he took part in the Zulu War.

Now to my findings and my opinion.

Having found his Service record, see photo

From this you can see that he served in South Africa from 3rd June 1879 to 31st Jan 1880.
This puts him in the right time frame for the Zulu War. BUT we need to understand a few things before we say he was at Ulundi or close by.
William transfered from the 5th Lancers to the 17th Lancers on the 27th May 1879. He is listed as joining the 17th Lancers on the 27th May 1879. So lets say he got all his new kit and horse ready by the 3rd June 1879 and set sail for South Africa to join the 17th Lancers already in the Zulu War.
Now I do not know how long it would have taken to get to South Africa by boat but it must have taken awhile, then William would have had to get to the Front Line by the 4th July 1879 to have taken part in the battle or be close by.

It is my opinion that William did not have time to get from England to Ulundi by the 4th July 1879 (I am willing to be proven incorrect). That is not to say he did not take part in the Zulu War just not at the battle of Ulundi. I am of the opinion that by the 4th July 1879, William could of well been in Zululand and making his way to the front and only took part in what was left of the Zulu War.

William is not listed as getting a Medal on his service papers, which suggests to me that he did not make it in time. He still could have been entilted to the medal if he crossed into Zululand by the 4th July 1879, William could have made his claim for the medal much later on in life after leaving the UK and that is why he is not listed on the Medal Roll and no entry has been made on his service record.
Back to top Go down
rai

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:39 pm

Hi All
Further info on William De Passey, on the 1881 census he appears in Barracks at Canterbury, but appears on no other census it seems he went to India this is on his service papers, being discharged in 1888. I then find a W De Passey as a Captain in the 2nd Australian Horse during the 2nd Boer War, this would tie in with information by Graves1879 above, it seems likely sometime after 1888 he went to Australia.
As for service in the Zulu War, the date of June 3rd is the date he left the UK not the date he arrived in South Africa this would have been about three weeks to a month later, making it almost impossible for him to have reached Ulundi by the 4th july 1879.
Rai
Keyshamlighthorse
Back to top Go down
De Passey

PostSubject: Hi, I am the great grandson of William and would love to find out more about his life. Your knowledge and mine information may help in this matter. I have his inscribed 1879 Zulu medal and ... how do you post longer reply's?   Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:21 pm

1879graves wrote:
Hi All

Suspect I am at the moment not sure if he took part in the Zulu War Suspect

I have not been able to find any evidence that he took part yet scratch

William de Passey and family (1918)
William de Passey, a member of the Light Horse headquarters staff 1913-1918, photographed with his wife and family in the garden of their home in Kent Street, Adelaide. At this time he held the rank of Major and was the Camp Commandant at Mitcham Camp, South Australia during the 1st World War. Behind: Edwyna ('Queenie') May de Passey (nee Read) and Lieutenant Roy de Passey 3rd Tunnelling Coy. In front: Major William de Passey, his wife Louisa Amelia Augusta (nee Wegener), with the daughter of Roy and Edwyna, Una Erica, (later Summerville).

Major William de Passey and Lt. Roy de Passey (1918)
Lieutenant Roy de Passey 3rd Tunnelling Coy, standing behind Major William de Passey, taken in the garden of William and Louisa de Passey in Kent Street, Adelaide.
Source: State Library of South Australia
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi De Passey

I am happy to hear that you are a relative and have his medal.

Would love to have you post further information and photographs of the medal to help with further research.

Just hit the Reply button and type away in the big box for longer replies.

Salute
Back to top Go down
rai

PostSubject: Passey 17th Lancers   Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:19 pm

Hi All.
Just a bit more on William Passey,
No 1693 5th Lcrs, No 2380 17th Lcrs, Attested Aldershot May 2nd 1876, Ex Worcestshire Militia, he was a L/Corp during the zulu war, but was deprived of the lancer rank on 11 Jan 1884, reverting to Private. He served for 12 years and 81 days. Discharged at Fort William [India]. On his service papers his next of kin is given as mother charlotte sister sarah and brother thomas, all living Kidderminster, his date of birth is given as 1858 Abberley Kidderminster.
The 1861 census address, is Habberley Valley Kidderminster, Father Thomas b.1825 Agri Labourer, mother Charlotte b.1825, 5 kids, John 1849, George 1850, Sarah 1853, James 1857 and the youngest William 1859.
All the best
Rai
Keynshamlighthorse.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:19 pm

Back to top Go down
Richie

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Hi De Passey,
Welcome to the forum, is this your ancestor??? would be great to see any information you have on the Lancers, medals, photographs or written records. I have just spent 4 months on creating a model of a 17th Lancer it's posted in the model section.
cheers
Richie
Back to top Go down
http://www.1879miniatures.co.uk
De Passey

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:23 am

Richie wrote:
Hi De Passey,
Welcome to the forum, is this your ancestor??? would be great to see any information you have on the Lancers, medals, photographs or written records. I have just spent 4 months on creating a model of a 17th Lancer it's posted in the model section.
cheers
Richie

Happy to be here. William was my great grandfather and I believe I inherited a lot of his genes as I have a strong affinity to many of his stories.

Most of the information I have pertains to his life in Australia but I do have some interesting references from his time in the 17th. Unfortunately my grandfather destroyed his memoirs (probably due to his colourful and honest accounts) so many of the mystery's surrounding his career (Zulu War) will always be surrounded in mist.

My father related to me how he recalled sitting of his GF's knee and being told about the huge number of Zulu's attacking at Ulundi, that the sky was covered in spears. I beleive the Zulu used a throwing spear the assegai as well as the Iklwa. From my reading of the recovered parts of his memoirs and my understanding of his personality and life, if Williams said he was at Ulundi, then he was there. However, William has surprised me many times so I will remain only 90% committed.

I will post his excellent references from the 17th and a photo of his medal soon.

Catch you soon

Brian

Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: William De Passey , 17th Lancers    Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:20 am

Hi all .
I agree with Graves , I dont think De Passey could have made Ulundi in the known time frame . He left the UK on the 3rd June ,
at least 3 weeks to get there , and then get to Ulundi . I doubt it . Welcome to the forum De Passey .
Cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:42 am

Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: William De Passey 17th Lancers   Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:27 am

Nice one Littlehand , the unit has an Australian Sounding name ! :p;:
Cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:25 pm

Back to top Go down
krish

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:54 pm

De Passey wrote:
Richie wrote:
Hi De Passey,
cheers
Richie

Happy to be here.  William was my great grandfather and I believe I inherited a lot of his genes as I have a strong affinity to many of his stories.

Most of the information I have pertains to his life in Australia but I do have some interesting references from his time in the 17th.  Unfortunately my grandfather destroyed his memoirs (probably due to his colourful and honest accounts) so many of the mystery's surrounding his career (Zulu War) will always be surrounded in mist.

My father related to me how he recalled sitting of his GF's knee and being told about the huge number of Zulu's attacking at Ulundi, that the sky was covered in spears. I beleive the Zulu used a throwing spear the assegai as well as the Iklwa.  From my reading of the recovered parts of his memoirs and my understanding of his personality and life, if Williams said he was at Ulundi, then he was there.  However, William has surprised me many times so I will remain only 90% committed.

I will post his excellent references from the 17th and a photo of his medal soon.

Catch you soon

Brian
[/quite]         I am only new here also, and i just read how you have an affinity with your GG grandfather, I also have inherited many of the traits of my 2nd  cousin *3, my GG grandfathers nephew, I never before in many years of research have recognised that, my cousins do as well.  I thought it a bit uncanny, so to find someone else just proves how genes make us who we are.
Back to top Go down
http://www.edurnford.blogspot.com
90th

PostSubject: William De Passy 17th Lcrs ?   Tue Feb 17, 2015 5:33 am

William De Passy isnt listed on the Medal Roll . You need to study mo
90th
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.   

Back to top Go down

William De Passey, 17th Lancers.1879.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: DID THEY OR DIDN'T THEY TAKE PART IN THE ZULU WAR-
Jump to: