WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

rusteze

90th

ADMIN

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Selling off the deads belongings.

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
24th

PostSubject: Selling off the deads belongings.   Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:02 am

Do other members think it was right to sell of in auction the personal effects of those soldiers killed at Isandlawana. I know they were no good to the owners, But I would of though out of respect for their dead comrades, they would have send them to the families of the dead soldiers.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Selling off the dead's belongings   Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:33 am

Hi 24th.
I'm certain the sale of items , equipment etc of those deceased was a way of raising funds to send back to the families . The families
wouldnt have any use for war or campaign items but would certainly need the money to live .
cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Selling off the deads belongings.   Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:14 am

When I was on active service a dead comrades belongs were examined and any embarrasing items removed. The personal items were sent back to the next of kin and the balance, kit etc were auctioned of and the cash sent to the nok.
It was a way really of firstly helping the nok and secondly paying respect to a mate. Most of the items sold were done so at vastly inflated rates, I once paid 20 pounds for an old Playboy mag ( in those days sold for 5 in the NAAFI).

Regards
Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Selling off the deads belongings.   Fri Jun 10, 2011 7:33 am

I expect some would have considered it as a bad omen. carrying dead men's kit.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: selling of the dead's belongings   Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:13 am

Hi All.
I seem to remember reading a post on the RDVC Forum where one of the members had a list of the equipment etc
that was sold after Isandlwana which belonged to those who had died , this was Gear etc that wasnt taken into zululand.
The sale / Auction may have taken place at Helpmekaar but I may be wrong . Happy to be corrected and more happy
if someone has the list and would be kind enough to post it and send me a copy ! :lol!:
cheers 90th. Idea .
Back to top Go down
tasker224

PostSubject: Re: Selling off the deads belongings.   Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:13 am

springbok is exactly right.
that is common practice in pretty much every armed service in every nation in my experience. a friend will usually scrutinise all belongings. jewellery, wedding ring, photos, letters, diary and personal effects are sent home. useful kit that comrades could use is distributed at the discretion of the said trusted friend and the balance is auctioned and proceeds inc in a whip round.

if 24th is saying that PERSONAL items were auctioned after isandlwana that would be considered out of order.
i can only imagine that this could have happened only if the personal items could not be attributed to their rightful owner.

dave, comrades of a dead serviceman really don't see it that way, particularly in the field where needs are must!
(more likely to be inspired actually). if they had a problem, i guess they wouldn't accept any of the kit.
Back to top Go down
Chard1879

PostSubject: Re: Selling off the deads belongings.   Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:41 pm

Is there any reference to the auctioning of those who fell at Isandlwana.
Back to top Go down
Dave

PostSubject: Re: Selling off the deads belongings.   Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:00 pm

Came across this on the web. Not sure if it's true. Can anyone confirm.

Even Hook, who survived Rorke's Drift, had a price to pay. When he returned to Wales he found that his wife, thinking he was dead, had sold all his belongings and remarried. Private Henry Hook, VC, ended his career as a cloakroom attendant in the British Museum

I know he ended up the British Library.
Back to top Go down
tasker224

PostSubject: Re: Selling off the deads belongings.   Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:26 pm

Crikey, fast work by Mrs Hook. Anyone know what became of Mrs Hook's second marriage when Henry returned home? Wouldn't the marriage have been nullified?
Back to top Go down
tasker224

PostSubject: Mrs Henry Hook, V.C.    Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:36 pm

I have searched the internet too and can find no more info on Hook's wife over and above the superficial info above.

Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Selling off the deads belongings.   Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:57 pm

All of Colonel Durnfords affects where sold off before Nell and her farther could get to them.

Regards DB14
Back to top Go down
barry

PostSubject: Selling off of kit belonging to those KIA, AZW and ABW   Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:59 pm

Indeed, this was a common practice. Not sure who received the proceeds though. Tpr Clarke NMP reports in his diary that after having all his persoinal kit destroyed in the Isandlawana camp that he bought auctioned off kit at Rorkes Drift belonging to those KIA, a day or two after the rout.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Selling off the deads belongings.   

Back to top Go down

Selling off the deads belongings.
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: