WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Lt. Melvill: Well done, Sir! Did you see that Noggs? Deceived him with the up and took him with the down. Norris-Newman: Well well, this one's a grandfather at least. If he'd been a Zulu in his prime I'd have given odds against your lancer, Mr.Melvill.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» A new memorial for the Gardners
Today at 1:42 pm by 90th

» John Dunn By Susan Nind-Barrett
Today at 12:49 am by xhosa2000

» The Marini Henry Carbine
Yesterday at 4:23 pm by timothylrose

» FIND-A-GRAVE WEBSITE
Yesterday at 3:25 pm by barry

» A Soldier Artist In Zululand
Yesterday at 2:47 pm by lionshead

» Martini Henry - Correct and real period butt stock markings?
Yesterday at 10:27 am by SRB1965

» What to do with your research when you have passed away.
Yesterday at 1:44 am by grahame_k

» Which Mkii or mkiii
Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:41 pm by SRB1965

» LEGACY: Heroes of Rorke's Drift' by Kris Wheatley
Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:13 pm by louisafilby

» Medal auction
Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:23 am by Gardner1879

» Regimental Paylists
Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:37 pm by Bill8183

» Bassage Diary
Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:34 am by 90th

» The first battle fought in Africa by the 24th?
Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 pm by Frank Allewell

» Admiral Sir James Startin, K.C.B., A.M
Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:14 am by John Young

» Most Recent Members 2018
Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:32 pm by ADMIN

Lt. (Brevet Major) J.R.M. Chard, 5th Field Company, Royal Engineers--Rorke's Drift and Ulundi
(Mac and Shad) Isandula Collection)
Rededication Rorke's Drift Defender William Wilcox. 8th May 2011 Dolton Devon.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

1879graves

rusteze

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

impi

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Frank Allewell

rusteze

90th

SRB1965

John Young

xhosa2000

Kenny

Gardner1879

ADMIN

Julian Whybra

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.1
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 3
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Lance Sergeant Armstrong Victoria Mounted Rifles

Go down 
AuthorMessage
littlehand

PostSubject: Lance Sergeant Armstrong Victoria Mounted Rifles   Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:20 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Lance Sgt Armstrong    Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:22 pm

Hi Littlehand
I checked 'For God , Queen & Colony ' by Terry Sole ; Victoria Mounted Rifles , William Armstrong , Sgt Major . Marked as Joining the Natal Volunteer Guides . No dates or other info given .
Cheers 90th . Salute

ps. The Victoria Mtd Rifles and all the other mtd Colonial units that were with Pearson at Eshowe were ordered back to the Tugela on the 28th Jan and arrived there that same evening , where volunteers from these units were then formed into the Natal Vol Guides approx 10th March .

Salute Salute
Back to top Go down
Mikie

PostSubject: Re: Lance Sergeant Armstrong Victoria Mounted Rifles   Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:54 pm

Hi All,
I am new to this forum. Not sure what topic to use- selected this from the reference to Armstrong and Victoria Mounted Rifles. My interest follows from the involvement of my great grandfather in the Zulu war. I am in possession of his reminiscences which contain some references to events I'd like to put in context - would appreciate any help in that regard.

He was A colonial, John Armstrong from Verulam, Natal and was a volunteer with the Victoria Mounted Rifles/ Natal Mounted Rifles 18 years old in 1878. He mentions various incidences:
seconded to Pearsons no. 1 column: training at Thrings Post: setting off for Eshowe.
Crossed Tugela at Bond's drift (2 days due to size of column); An encounter during a scouting party with Dabalumanzi - who he knew well from trading expedition in Zululand 2 years earlier;
Forming a laager on crossing the Inyesane river which was surrounded by large force of Zulus under Dabulamanzi - he attributes Zulu retreat to rockets used; building fort at Eshowe; part of detail of mounted men sent back to accompany Sir Garnett Woolsey; stopped off at the Tugela where he stayed behind; spent rest of war patrolling border - based near farm of Sir Liege Hulett.  

I am also in possession of a photograph of six soldiers posed in front of a tent in which a soldier wearing 3 stripes on his arm is labelled as J Armstrong (others still legible are A Garland and R Logan)

By and large, this sequence of events seems to follow what accounts I have been able to access on the internet- except for the involvement of Dabalumanzi at Inyezane and the use of rockets by the Naval contingent.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Lance Sergeant Armstrong Victoria Mounted Rifles   Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:35 pm

Mikie, welcome to the forum. If you wish, you can email me the photo and I will post on your behalf. I'll PM my email address.
Back to top Go down
http://www.1879zuluwar.com
Petty Officer Tom

PostSubject: Re: Lance Sergeant Armstrong Victoria Mounted Rifles   Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:55 pm

Mikie,

Welcome to the forum.  I would be very interested in reading the reminiscences of your great-grandfather.

There were two men named Armstrong on the medal roll for the Victoria Mounted Rifles.  Both men are identified by their last name only.  One was Sergeant-Major Armstrong, and the other was Trooper Armstrong.  (There was no one on the medal roll for Victoria Mounted Rifles with the rank of Lance-Sergeant.)

I have found a reference to a Lance Sergeant Armstrong of the Victoria Mounted Rifles in the newspapers in March, 1879.  I will send it to another member and ask him to post it for you.

I have also sent you a P.M.

Tom
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Lance Sergeant Armstrong Victoria Mounted Rifles   Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:52 am

Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Lance Sergeant Armstrong Victoria Mounted Rifles   Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:43 pm

Hi,

Attached is the photograph. I am beginning to wonder if the image might not be of John's older brother- William G Armstrong who was 6 years his senior. The came from a farm at Verulam so it is conceivable that they both joined up. There was another older brother George S who would have been of an age to join up. John was an apprentice blacksmith at the time.

Text and photo by Mikie

Last edited by ADMIN on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.1879zuluwar.com
90th

PostSubject: Lce Sgt Armstrong VMR    Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:07 am

In Terry Sole's ' For God , Queen & Colony , Victoria Mtd Rifles Sgt Major William Armstrong and Trooper John Armstrong Both awarded the Medal with 1879 Clasp .
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
Mikie

PostSubject: Re: Lance Sergeant Armstrong Victoria Mounted Rifles   Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:05 pm

Thanks for the posts,
I have ascertained from an incidental comment in another source (David Lincoln, "An ascendant sugarocracy: Natal's miller-cum-planters, 1905-1939, Journal of Natal and Zulu History XI, 1988), that William G Armstrong did also serve in the volunteers in the Zulu war. The photograph is almost certainly of William Armstrong, rather than younger brother John, as closer examination shows faint strokes that make the initials clearly "W G". I received the photograph as part of a bundle of papers about John, hence my initial assumption. I guess remaining the puzzle is the rank insignia: three chevrons could be a Lance Sergeant in some units, but not Sergeant Major?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lance Sergeant Armstrong Victoria Mounted Rifles   

Back to top Go down

Lance Sergeant Armstrong Victoria Mounted Rifles
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: DID THEY OR DIDN'T THEY TAKE PART IN THE ZULU WAR-
Jump to: