WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyToday at 8:19 am by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyYesterday at 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
Message to all from forum member Springbok. Bar_leftMessage to all from forum member Springbok. BarMessage to all from forum member Springbok. Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
Message to all from forum member Springbok. Bar_leftMessage to all from forum member Springbok. BarMessage to all from forum member Springbok. Bar_right 
John Young
SRB1965
Kenny
A Crockart
Petty Officer Tom
Jager1
Eddie
cmeghen
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Message to all from forum member Springbok.

Go down 
+6
Mr M. Cooper
J.J.Meyer
90th
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
tasker224
ADMIN
10 posters
AuthorMessage
ADMIN

ADMIN

Message to all from forum member Springbok. Empty
PostSubject: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 10:30 pm

I must say I'm glad his wife has banned him from leaving the cape. Let's just hope he listens. " You can't keep a good man down"

Frank we all wish you a speedy recovery. Salute

From Frank.

" Hi Guys
Its been a while so I thought I would just touch sides.
I was wondering around at isandlwana three weeks ago, actually re following the route I think Younghusband took ( think I told you I was going to do that). Suddenly massive chest pains, over I went and thought Love that’s ironic Im going to die on the battlefield. Actually I was being a bit of a drama queen, recovered after ten minutes or so but took the precaution of going back to the RD Hotel. Three oclock the next morning I was fully convinced I was finished, packed up and jumped into the 4 x 4 and drove for a few hours to Durban  ( closest genuine hospital ) however on the way it cleared again so I went straight to the airport and headed back to Cape Town, three hours later I was in intensive care and have been untill today. So two more heart operations later my wife has now banned me from leaving Cape Town and in particular from going back to the Battlefields. Good job Ive spent the last few weeks wondering around, 6000 photos, walked every inch of ever conceivable route. Had a picnic at Chelmsfords Breakfast spot walked the route the impi took from Babanango to Ngwebeni Valley. Done it all and not before time. The population growth has virtually destroyed the atmosphere. Its dissapointing to sit on the battle field just soaking up the atmosphere and having the locals use it ( fenced or not) as a short cut between two villages. Its there country and difficult to argue against their right. But Im glad Ive seen it the way it WAS and having spent the time I have looking at every single person that was involved, knowing where most of them started and a lot finished, the battle falls into place. For once I have to agree with Mike Snook, stare at it long enough and you can SEE it happening in front of yoi.
Take care Friends"

Frank
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
tasker224

tasker224

PostSubject: Re: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 11:08 pm

Get well soon Springbok and get back to work on that book. Looking forward to it very much.
All the best
Tasker
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Springbok. You have spend more time on the Isandlwana battlefield than the 24th ever did. Time to call it a day. You don't want to end up on the home page in the top left hand corner. So take it easy, and get well soon and fall in for duty when your ready.

PS The good lord Chelmsford is innocent. Salute
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Message to all from forum member springbok   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 12:27 am

Hi Springbok .
I too think you should be banned ! , hope you have a speedy recovery and are soon up and about putting your book together .
I'll speak to you later as I'm getting ready to head off to work .
Cheers 90th. Salute Salute Salute
Back to top Go down
J.J.Meyer

PostSubject: Re: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 6:43 am

Best wishes for a speedy recovery Frank!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyMon Aug 27, 2012 7:59 am

Get well soon Springbok . Looking forward to it very much.
All the best.

"Courage les cartouches sont creuses"

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 4:24 pm

Springbok.

Hello Frank mate, I have only just read of this, so please forgive me for not replying earlier.

Your contributions to this forum are marvellous, and if the book is anything like those contributions, then we have all got some great stuff to look forward to when it is published. The photo's you have asked Pete to post on the forum have been invaluable to those of us who have no chance of ever getting to S.A, and if the photo's in the book are anything like the ones posted on the forum, then I am sure that you will get many sales of the book.

You have yomped many miles around the battle fields, concentrating on certain aspects at various locations, but now my fellow Lancastrian friend, it is time for you to just concentrate on getting your goodself well, and I hope that you have a speedy recovery.

All my best wishes Frank, get well soon mate.

Martin. Salute
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Springbok, please send me a photo of your wife burning your walking boots.

Enough is enough. Know when to stop, and let's have you back on the forum arguing the the toss with CTSG. One of the many highlights of the forum. We need your wit and humour.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Springbok, with plenty of rest, it will get better and better, good luck.

Cheers

Pascal
Back to top Go down
tasker224

tasker224

PostSubject: Re: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 6:34 pm

"yomped"? OMG, Martin Cooper was in the b****y Marines! Might have guessed that, or the Guards, given his knit-picking and obsession with unimportant details - ie BS ! :lol: (sorry martin, just messing! Salute )

Springbok, you'll be back soon enough and don't let your missus boss you around - I never do!?!?!

It is amazing what they can do these days, particularly in cardio-pulmonary, and electro-cardiology.
My old man had a "heart attack" in January 2000, followed by by-pass surgery and latterly a pace-maker and he is just as effervescent and mad now, as he ever was. You have more than a good few decades left in you yet. Just keep doing what you want to do and don't let it put you off - but be sensible during recovery, of course.
I know my old man would rather die on the badminton court or on a mountainside with his skis on, not sitting in an armchair.
Back to top Go down
bill cainan

PostSubject: Re: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyTue Aug 28, 2012 7:11 pm

Springbok

Come to Brecon - you can die here anytime you like !! I'll have you stuffed and into one of the Zulu War cases before you can say Isandlwana !

Take it easy

Bill
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Message to all from forum member Springbok    Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 12:48 am

Hi Bill .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , Bloody hilarious , but be careful what you wish for !!!!!! , He'd love that I'd expect .

Littlehand .
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , Likewise !.

cheers 90th. Salute Salute Salute
Back to top Go down
lucknow

PostSubject: Re: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 8:04 am

Hi Frank,
i will never get to walk the battlefields myself but the way you often describe them its as if i am there . Keep your posts coming they are always of interest.
Get well soon !
Regards Gavin.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 10:20 am

Gentlemen
Thank you for the kind comments.
Bill, was that a polite way of telling me to get S******D :lol:
Ive been thinking of cashing in on the experience by writing a book ' iSandlwana, near death experience reveals all" Just think of the absolute rubbish I could write and put it all down to 'near death revelations'. Has to be a fortune in that. :lol:

Cheers Guys and again thanks for the best wishes.

frank
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Message to all from forum member Springbok.   Message to all from forum member Springbok. EmptyWed Aug 29, 2012 1:32 pm

Bon courage mon vieux...
Back to top Go down

Message to all from forum member Springbok.
Page 1 of 1