WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
Zulu medal experts EmptyToday at 8:19 am by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Zulu medal experts EmptyYesterday at 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Zulu medal experts EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Zulu medal experts EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Zulu medal experts EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Zulu medal experts EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Zulu medal experts EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Zulu medal experts EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Zulu medal experts EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Zulu medal experts EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Zulu medal experts EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Zulu medal experts EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Zulu medal experts EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Zulu medal experts EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Zulu medal experts EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Zulu medal experts EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Zulu medal experts EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Zulu medal experts EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Zulu medal experts EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Zulu medal experts EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Zulu medal experts EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Zulu medal experts EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Zulu medal experts EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Zulu medal experts EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Zulu medal experts EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Zulu medal experts EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
Zulu medal experts Bar_leftZulu medal experts BarZulu medal experts Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
John Young
Kenny
A Crockart
Petty Officer Tom
SRB1965
Eddie
Jager1
cmeghen
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Zulu medal experts EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Zulu medal experts EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Zulu medal experts EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Zulu medal experts EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Zulu medal experts EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Zulu medal experts EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Zulu medal experts EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Zulu medal experts

Go down 
+8
Kenny
24th
TOWERBOY
tasker224
Jager1
SergioD
90th
lionshead
12 posters
AuthorMessage
lionshead

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 4:24 pm

Hello there, This is my first post on the forum so please forgive me if i am treading on people's toes.
I have a South Africa medal which needs verifing to see if it is the correct style of naming, i have been told it is by someone who has been dealing for years. However the medal is to a defender of Rorke's Drift so i have to be careful. I cannot give you his name at the moment until things are verified, but he is on the medal rolls.So if you chaps know who i can contact or take it to i would be grateful.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Zulu Medal Experts    Zulu medal experts EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Hi Lionshead .
Firstly welcome to the forum , possibly Bill Cainan the curator at the Royal Regt Of Wales Museum may be able to help . They do have Rorke's Drift participants Medals in their collection as far as I'm aware . There is a Medal Seller who is a member on here , I dont think its up to me to disclose his identity , but he may contact you via the pm service , but for the medal to be verified you would obviously need to send him pictures of the naming on the rim etc etc . Good Luck , and if it is the real deal you have a wonderful item as you are no doubt aware ! . Very Happy
Cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down
lionshead

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 9:38 am

Hello 90th,
Many thanks for your reply and welcome.The Museum at Brecon was contacted by the man i brought the medal off, who is a dealer and friend of mine,he was told that they did not have that man's medal in their collection.The dealer has shown it to a "expert" who had doubts but was willing to buy it! I have a sell back clause to my dealer friend,where he will have it back for the same price i paid for it, so there is a safety net in place for me. I been dealing with him for years, he is one of the old school he will not split family groups up for the sake of a bigger profit and has principles he keeps to.

Thanks, Lionhead
Back to top Go down
SergioD

SergioD

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 9:51 am

Lionshead
welcome to the forum. I dont know where you live - but for verification \I would recommend one of the big medal auction houses either Spinks or DNW . They will have experts wh will very quickly be able to tell you if it is genuine. Alternatively dependant on location you could ask one of the more reputable dealers to have a look - I would recommend either Rennie Alcock at British Medals or Justin Young at Jager medals. they are both very knowledgable and have high levels of integrity.

I would suspect wherever you go you will be asked wether you wish to sell it - to give you some idea of value the last I saw sold (hammer) for £27000 and is currently on a dealers list at £38000 but has been there a while so may be a but over priced. Value depends on rank and his roll/activities during the defence.

Be aware that idf you decide to sell by auction you will pay 20% of the hammer in commission a reputable dealer shouldnt charge you more than 10%.

Personally if it is authentic I would never sell it but cherish and research it it would be the pride of any collection.

I agree with 90th Bill Canain at teh museum should be able to help too.

If you want any more advise - contact details etc please let me know. BTW I am a medal collector not a dealer!!

Sergio
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Zulu Medal Experts    Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 10:03 am

Hi Lionshead .

I agree with Sergio's recommendations regarding Rennie & Justin . I dont know your financial status but if you dont need to sell it
then keep it , it's a wonderful item , I'd love to have one but they are out of my league , till the lottery numbers come up ! Very Happy
Cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
Jager1

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 6:38 pm

Lionshead, I collect and trade in SA 1877-9's as others have mentioned and happy to give my thoughts, will PM you with my details.

I'm in Scotland but if your anywhere near London then you couldn't do better than showing John Hayward at Spink it

Jager1
Back to top Go down
http://www.jagermedals.com
tasker224

tasker224

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 7:05 pm

Lionshead, welcome to the forum. I would only echo what SD, Jager and 90th have said. Make an appointment to take it to one of the big auction houses, they have premises in most major cities. I am sure that if your trusted dealer thinks it is right, then it is, but you are harming no one in getting a second opinion. No one can confirm the naming is correct in photos alone; they will need to handle the medal, examine the naming closely with an eye glass and take measurements.
And don't let them talk you into selling it; and don't leave it on a bus or train - wear a jacket with an inside zipped up pocket!
Back to top Go down
TOWERBOY

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 7:23 pm

And dont talk to any strangers Salute
Back to top Go down
lionshead

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 8:31 pm

Hello,
Thanks to everyone who have given advice to me, it has given me something to chew on.The medal was brought for a investment,i can thank the banks for that with the pathetic interest they pay. I am a medal collector and this one will stay in my collection and have pride of place but this is the most expensive one i shall ever own, whether it is right or wrong. Hopefully it will top my pension pot up one day if there is still such a thing in about 15 years time! I have been lucky i have visted Rorke's Drift and Isandhlwana twice in the last few years, and i defy anyone not to feel emotional when visiting those places.

Regards Lionshead
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 8:37 pm

When will you tell who the medal was awarded to??? Wink Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
TOWERBOY

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 9:44 pm

Lionshead, i know exactly what you mean about feelings when visiting Rorkes Drift & Isandlwana. i found Isandlwana very eerie probaly knowing what happenend there, a visit that will stay with me forever. Salute

Back to top Go down
lionshead

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyTue May 07, 2013 5:54 pm

24th wrote:
When will you tell who the medal was awarded to??? Wink Rolling Eyes
When i can get to London and the experts can give their opinions on it. I live in deepest darkest Devon way out in the sticks, so it would be a visit and a break in London combined. The chap who sold me the medal had some Crimean medals from the same source and one of these turned out to be a charger from the Light Brigade! The old chap who had these medals in his collection for the best part of 60 years, when it was not very easy to research anything, he did not know he had a Charger medal, so who knows?
Back to top Go down
lionshead

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Hello,
I have finally shown the medal to a expert from a London auction house at one of their valuation days, he was happy with it and wanted to consign it to one of their auctions! It will be staying in my collection in pride of place for a few years yet. Happy days!
Back to top Go down
SergioD

SergioD

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 4:32 pm

Thats good news - I am pleased for you. Any chance you can share with the Forum who it is named to. At which point you will be swamped with information and research!!

Sergio
Back to top Go down
TOWERBOY

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyWed Nov 26, 2014 4:37 pm

So now you know, who is the medal too? cheers
Back to top Go down
Kenny

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyThu Nov 27, 2014 12:05 pm

There was a very useful article (unfortunately I do have a copy) written by John Hayward of Spinks which appeared in the Journal of the Orders & Medals Research Society some years ago regarding the styling of the naming of the South Africa 1977-79 Medal.
Back to top Go down
lionshead

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 5:11 pm

Hello everyone, First of all happy Easter to you all, no matter what your beliefs! Now to set the cat amongst the pigeons, the medal was award to William Henry Camp.
Back to top Go down
nthornton1979

nthornton1979

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 6:05 pm

Very nice!

Neil
Back to top Go down
barry

barry

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Zulu war medal   Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 7:25 pm

Hi All,

The Camps were part of  NMP's Tpr Henry Lugg's ( Rorkes drift defender) family. 
If this is one of them, the owner of the medal awarded to William Henry camp has had quite a valuable find.

regards,

barry
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 9:11 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Biographical Tributes to:
Pte. William H. Camp 24 Regt. - Born Camberwell, London
Pte. James Hagan (Egan) 24 Regt. – Born Ireland
Drummer Patrick Hayes 24 Regt. – Born Ireland
Pte. David Lewis (James Owen) 24 Regt. – Born Pembrokeshire
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
rusteze

rusteze

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 9:41 pm

I do not have this edition of Legacy, in which Kris W no doubt spells out the history of William Henry Camp, but it is clearly another sad case.

His papers show he was medically retired from the SWB in December 1881 as insane. Sadly, in the 1891 census, he is a patient in Woking Lunatic Asylum.

Steve
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Zulu Medal Experts    Zulu medal experts EmptySun Apr 05, 2015 11:52 pm

Hi Lionshead
A wonderful item no doubt about that , as Steve has mentioned , it's an extremely valuable piece , will do wonders for your pension plan ! Very Happy Very Happy agree
Cheers 90th Salute
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 4:00 pm

barry wrote:
Hi All,

The Camps were part of  NMP's Tpr Henry Lugg's ( Rorkes drift defender) family. 
If this is one of them, the owner of the medal awarded to William Henry camp has had quite a valuable find.

regards,

barry

90th Barry said it, not Steve.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

Zulu medal experts Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zulu medal experts   Zulu medal experts EmptyMon Apr 06, 2015 5:18 pm

I don't think William Henry Camp is one of the Camp's related to the Lugg family. Henry Lugg came from Okehampton in Devon and married Mary Camp who was born in Bristol in 1857. Her father Edwin Gillard Camp was a Master Hairdresser from Barnstaple.

William Henry Camp was born in Camberwell High Street, South London, in 1853. His father was William Camp who was a butcher.

But still a very valuable find.

Steve
Back to top Go down

Zulu medal experts
Page 1 of 1