WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyToday at 8:19 am by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyYesterday at 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 Bar_leftDurnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 BarDurnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 Bar_leftDurnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 BarDurnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 Bar_right 
John Young
Kenny
A Crockart
Petty Officer Tom
SRB1965
Eddie
Jager1
cmeghen
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Go down 
+18
John Young
old historian2
Ulundi
Dave
Ray63
90th
24th
John
ymob
Julian Whybra
Frank Allewell
impi
littlehand
Chard1879
ADMIN
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
rusteze
Mr M. Cooper
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 3:47 pm

As a matter of interest this is the area shown on the map.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 3:58 pm

Yeah Frank, agreed, although only 50 years ago it seems
so dated now!, but bless Smail, i have a lot of his work's
and there are as you know some really historic photo's
you never see in modern publications.. i will nip into the
Central library in city centre manchester and photocopy
the full map, that's if i can find anything ever again after
it was re-opened a few months ago after a 3 year refurb,
they moved all the ref books, tens of thousands, to some
underground ex saltmines in cheshire..all the bound copys
of the ILN's and the Graphic and most of the nineteenth
century periodicals, nothing is where it was, the systems are
completely changed, lots of new staff, i will have to find the
time to start from scratch, and guess what, every thing is
price linked..charging, for what belongs to us all! i'm all
for them recovering admin charges, but they have put a price
on every thing..money grubbing philistines..end of rant. Very Happy
                                                                            xhosa

Great photo mate, looks so peaceful and benign..
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 3:59 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:
springy

Thanks for the clarification of your post.  See my post of 2.02.

You are quite right, I agree, that at the time Durnford was called to Isandhlwana his column had been split quite significantly to a point where referring to it as a column was stretching the truth. However, the fact remains that it WAS still an independent Column as demonstrated on the 22nd by Crealock being designated as being the staff officer with sufficient rank to give orders to an independent column commander and NOT Clery.  It is also demonstrated by Durnford's actions on arrival at the camp and on leaving it.

Thus my position is that there was no de facto amalgamation/hostile takeover AT THAT POINT certainly not in Durnford's mind (though a future one - even an imminent one - may have been on the cards and in Chelmsford's mind).  I do not feel that the later remarks by Crealock that you quoted indicate any takeover (de facto or de jure).

I also totally agree with you re the 'taking his whole command to deal with 400 Zulus'.  He precisely did not do that.

Fair enough. What however do you make of those points I isolated from Crealock, The position he expected Durnford to be in, his adding in Durnfords force to the defenders
As he, I would have assumed, was responsible for drafting the instructions  for Durnford to move up to Rorkes Drift he would have been fully aware of his position. I just find it curious that he makes a point of positioning a Durnford camp site for no apparent reason. And we have agreed on his approach to his writing.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 4:04 pm

Les
Its the same as the Cape Archives, now in the old Roland Street Jail and charging an arm and a leg. Plus having to wait 3 to4 weeks for copies.
That faint line of track moving right to left is the aprox line that M and C travelled to get up the hill. Most visitors think they made their way up the new dirt road that goes down to the drift. That in itself is a bitch to walk up, the old track is even worse. I still don't know how they did, possibly the added inducement of a rather angry gentleman with a sharp stick chasing them would help

Cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Yep. inducement.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 4:18 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:
springy

Thanks for the clarification of your post.  See my post of 2.02.

You are quite right, I agree, that at the time Durnford was called to Isandhlwana his column had been split quite significantly to a point where referring to it as a column was stretching the truth. However, the fact remains that it WAS still an independent Column as demonstrated on the 22nd by Crealock being designated as being the staff officer with sufficient rank to give orders to an independent column commander and NOT Clery.  It is also demonstrated by Durnford's actions on arrival at the camp and on leaving it.

Thus my position is that there was no de facto amalgamation/hostile takeover AT THAT POINT certainly not in Durnford's mind (though a future one - even an imminent one - may have been on the cards and in Chelmsford's mind).  I do not feel that the later remarks by Crealock that you quoted indicate any takeover (de facto or de jure).

I also totally agree with you re the 'taking his whole command to deal with 400 Zulus'.  He precisely did not do that.

Okay, let's take a new angle.

We know Durnford had an independant command. However previous orders show he was still obeying orders from LC that directed him to various locations. When Durnford received these orders he moved as requested to the various locations, and did nothing until further orders arrived. So what's so different about the 22nd Jan. why did he not just move to the camp, and await further orders, if there had been a cause to send them.

Did he feel as he said, left behind, thinking LC was going engage the Zulu and there was no part for him to play, is that why he told Pulleine he wasn't going to stay. He wanted to show LC his capabilities after he was rebuked on the 14th Jan.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 4:39 pm

Impi

I think you make a good point in your last paragraph. I do think there is an element of him wanting to show his capabilities. But if there was also a good military reason for doing what he did then that's fine. I think that is what we are trying to decide.

Steve
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 5:00 pm

rusteze wrote:
Impi

I think you make a good point in your last paragraph. I do think there is an element of him wanting to show his capabilities. But if there was also a good military reason for doing what he did then that's fine. I think that is what we are trying to decide.

Steve

Based on the outcome of the battle, I would strongly disagree. It has been said that Durnford expected further orders to be waiting at Isandlwana, there were none.

So Who ordered Durnford to put a large portion of his men onto the Nqutu heights to the North and North East after his arrival in camp?

Who ordered Durnford to ride off Eastwards from camp either on his 'rescue mission' or scouting duties? In camp, Lt Cochrane had already confirmed Durnford knew there was an enemy "in force behind the hills on the left" and "the enemy are in three columns"

Why did Durnford ask for two companies of the 24th infantry to support his movements Eastwards? Them on foot and him on horseback when it has already been established that a serious threat was emerging from the Northwest but as yet unseen? A zulu spy had already indicated a force of around 6000 warriors in that area. What could 150 troops on horseback do?

Prior to the reprimanded by Chelmsford, who ordered Durnford to move his troops into Zululand from Middle Drift instead of Rorke's Drift?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 5:18 pm

No there was no further orders.. but the 1st report of Zulu activity
was around 7.30.. Durnford and Chard had a chat! Durnford moved
to the camp, found no fresh orders awaiting, received a report, went
to link up with LC, came across the whole Zulu army, withdrew in
good order, saved countless lives, fought a last stand and bravely
died in an overall general massacre. all that is fact. what else can be
said? anything that is not fact, and not in the public domain, must be
discounted as speculation, that last statement is also a fact. xhosa
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 5:22 pm

Yes Xhosa. Personal observation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 5:26 pm

Cheers mate, also historically correct. xhosa
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 5:36 pm

Impi

Nobody had to order Durnford to act. He was a column commander. We can discuss whether he did the right thing based on what he knew at the time.

Steve
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 5:47 pm

The first question I would ask, if that was the case, why did he move to the camp, when Order to.
And we must agree, whatever orders were left for Pulleine, would have been binding on Durnford.

And yes, perhaps that would be good road to go down, as to what he knew at the time. I will let you fire the first shot!

Can we keep away from the famous Durnfords last stand, and his heroic deed in keeping the gates open. We can go there later if you wish, as that seems to be the only thing at Isandlwana he is really remembered for. I'm really concerned with the events that got him into that postion. No disrepect intended.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 5:56 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Springy.

I have found the original conversation between Julian and myself on Thursday November the 12th 2012, however, with the topic being locked I cannot insert the 'quote' to show you what Julian said. But if you look in the search you should find it, a quick run down is that Julian said.

"Bengough's battalion was one arm of the pincer, Durnford the other, with Chelmsford in the centre waiting to crack whatever nut appeared. The orders of the 22nd endorse those of the 19th and follow on naturally (or so it must have seemed to Durnford). It's one continuous narrative and would have been all perfectly in keeping. No fresh orders means stick to the plan as dicussed. And so he did"  

Salute

impi.

This is what was discussed back in 2012 between myself and Julian.

Read what Julian said at the end, ie; "No fresh orders means stick to the plan as discussed. And he did".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 5:58 pm

Going hypothetical and with 20/20 i think stuff the RB..
i will have a few of these in steady hands.. got to go
now. leaves on the line at 15.58, just waiting on a taxi.
xhosa

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 6:03 pm

Yes, it's a pity they didn't have some Gat's.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Impi

Being able to make decisions of his own does not preclude him from obeying orders from Chelmsford when he gets them.

On the quite difficult question of what he understood the strength and dispositions of the enemy to be at the time - I think we are long past the first shot having been fired on the forum. Many posts have addressed that in the last few days. At the moment, I go with the view that he did what he thought was appropriate, not recklessly try and show his capabilities. You and others disagree. That's fine.

I don't think there is any doubt about the mans courage so, as you say, the question of last stands can wait till later as far as I'm concerned.

I am far happier that the discussion is now about his judgement that morning and not about him disobeying orders (which was never the case).

Steve
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 6:35 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Springy.

I have found the original conversation between Julian and myself on Thursday November the 12th 2012, however, with the topic being locked I cannot insert the 'quote' to show you what Julian said. But if you look in the search you should find it, a quick run down is that Julian said.

"Bengough's battalion was one arm of the pincer, Durnford the other, with Chelmsford in the centre waiting to crack whatever nut appeared. The orders of the 22nd endorse those of the 19th and follow on naturally (or so it must have seemed to Durnford). It's one continuous narrative and would have been all perfectly in keeping. No fresh orders means stick to the plan as dicussed. And so he did"  

Salute

impi.

This is what was discussed back in 2012 between myself and Julian.

Read what Julian said at the end, ie; "No fresh orders means stick to the plan as discussed. And he did".

Martin the orders on the 22nd did not indorse those on the 19th. How could it!

Looking at the orders that could have been issued that day.

Strengthen / Reinforce the camp.
Take command of the camp.
Move to the camp. (This is the one that was sent)

None of the above endorses those issued on the 19th.

If Durnford was required to act on those orders issued on the 19th it would have said so.

Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 6:40 pm

rusteze wrote:
Impi

Nobody had to order Durnford to act. He was a column commander. We can discuss whether he did the right thing based on what he knew at the time.

Steve

Steve, you said

"We can discuss whether he did the right thing based on what he knew at the time."

I agreed said you could fire the first shot. In othe words start the discussion.

Then you say is been covered before.

So why, suggest it!
Back to top Go down
Ray63

Ray63

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 7:16 pm

So am I right in thinking, Durnford only left the camp, when the message came in, that the Zulus were retiring in all directions.

I will put my head on the block again! springbok Rolling Eyes

Who did order Lieutenant Cavaye to take up a position as a piquet on the hill?
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 7:49 pm

Ray
Yes
Its debatable, Essex says Durnford.
Salute
Back to top Go down
Ray63

Ray63

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 7:52 pm

You say debatable. In what way?
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 7:55 pm

Theres statements that say Durnford and others that say Pulleine. I personally believe it was Pulleine. Essex suggests, and this after his COI statement, that it was Durnford.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 7:56 pm

Well, according to Ian Knight he says it was Pulleine?
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 7:58 pm

Ian Knight wasn't there Martin. Chelmsord says he was told by Essex that it was Durnford.

Cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:02 pm

" Durnford replied, very well, it does not very much matter. we will not
take them". he could do without them-although it must have been clear to
the officers of the 24th that the northern aspect was a blind spot in the
camps defences. As a result two companies of the 1st 24th were indeed
indeed later sent on to the spur to the north. although the order might be
traced back to Durnford, Pulleine quite clearly had the final say in the
timing of their despatch. xhosa
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:07 pm

LOL, nice one springy.

But I would have thought that Ian would have done a little research about this before he stated it in one of his books.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:14 pm

Impi

The point I am making is that deciding what Durnford knew and did that morning is now the proper focus of discussion, and a lot has been said about it already, including by me.  So it simply isn't a case of  firing the first shot as you put it. I have put some longish posts together in the last week or so to set out my views and to explore a few possibilities. I have not reproduced great tracts of what others have written, or written two line comments under a copy of someone else's post.

So thank you for your invitation to begin - I think I have already, and so have others.

Steve
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:20 pm

Here's a good account of just how reckless Durnford was, with other men's lives.

"Statement of Lieutenant H.D.Davies commanding Edendale Troop, NNH.
...We looked up to the ridge on our front. And could see the enemy in great numbers, 1500 yards steadily advancing and firing at us. Colonel Durnford gave the order for us to extend our men and wait for the enemy to come within 400 yards of us, then Henderson’s and my Troop to retire …(TNA(PRO) WO 33/34 Inclosure 2 in No.96.) 
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:27 pm

And he should have done what? The whole venture was reckless with mens lives!

Steve
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:31 pm

It's a perfectly correct textbook maneuver, used to good effect it can
check the enemy's advance impi, Buller as you are aware used the
self same tactic. but in order to bring on the attack. xhosa
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 9:26 pm

Frank, i forgot to add the sources for the two
companies were, Cochrane, WO 32/7726//079/1473
and 1596.
and as you mentioned Essex sent to the Times
2nd of April 1879. xhosa
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 9:35 pm

To Date
Replies to this topic
Total Views by members and guests
agree
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:08 pm

It has been said numerous times that Pulleine was strictly sticking to Chelmsford's orders to defend the camp, and that when Durnford arrived that those orders would be binding on him.

HOWEVER. Strictly speaking, Chelmsford NEVER left any orders for Pulleine did he?

Clery took it upon himself to write those, and let's not forget that Chelmsford stopped Clery from writing any orders to Durnford because Crealock said that a Junior officer should NOT be writing orders to a senior officer, ie; column commander. Therefor, strictly speaking, the orders that Clery gave to Pulleine could NOT be binding on Durnford as they were NOT OFFICIAL orders from LC, but from a junior officer who had taken it upon himself to write them. And as we have seen, Chelmsford himself agreed with Crealock that a junior officer should not write orders to a senior officer, ie; column commander. Therefor, strictly speaking, Clery should NOT have taken it upon himself to write any orders to Pulleine, because, strictly speaking, Clery was also junior to Pulleine.
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:31 pm

I guess we will have to wait for JW essay to move this forward, instead of backwards.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Durnford was he capable 5    Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:31 pm

Hi Martin
In reply to your post asking if Durnford was looking for wagons , the answer is yes , wagons and forage were what he was seeking back on the Natal side of the river , when he was ordered up to Isandlwana .
Springy
I dont think you'll get an argument from me regarding the distance Durnford had pitched his camp into Zululand , I said 2 - 4 miles as a generalization , I hadnt checked the books for the detailed estimation , when I get a chance I'll look it up . If , and then , your reply seems incorrect , then I'll let you now ! You need to study mo agree
Cheers 90th Very Happy

PS I'll have to check the scores from your Test Match Salute
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:36 pm

Hi Gary.

Thanks mate, I thought that's what he was doing, was it Vermaak's?

WI, 88/2, 4 behind.

Salute
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Durnford was he capable 5    Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:41 pm

Hi Martin
I do seem to recall it was indeed around Vermaak's Salute
Cheers mate 90th Very Happy
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:52 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
It has been said numerous times that Pulleine was strictly sticking to Chelmsford's orders to defend the camp, and that when Durnford arrived that those orders would be binding on him.

HOWEVER. Strictly speaking, Chelmsford NEVER left any orders for Pulleine did he?  

Clery took it upon himself to write those, and let's not forget that Chelmsford stopped Clery from writing any orders to Durnford because Crealock said that a Junior officer should NOT be writing orders to a senior officer, ie; column commander. Therefor, strictly speaking, the orders that Clery gave to Pulleine could NOT be binding on Durnford as they were NOT OFFICIAL orders from LC, but from a junior officer who had taken it upon himself to write them. And as we have seen, Chelmsford himself agreed with Crealock that a junior officer should not write orders to a senior officer, ie; column commander. Therefor, strictly speaking, Clery should NOT have taken it upon himself to write any orders to Pulleine, because, strictly speaking, Clery was also junior to Pulleine.
Clery gave Pulleine his orders on behalf of Glyn, not LC.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:55 pm

24th wrote:
Mr M. Cooper wrote:

Clery gave Pulleine his orders on behalf of Glyn, not LC.

Makes no difference, he took it upon himself to write those orders, and he was also wrong in doing so, because as a junior officer, he should not be writing orders to a senior officer. Would an RSM take orders from a private?
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:55 pm

Clery was the Senior Staff Officer to the 3rd Column, commanded by Colonel Glyn,
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 11:05 pm

John wrote:
Clery was the Senior Staff Officer to the 3rd Column, commanded by Colonel Glyn,

So what! Neither Glyn nor Chelmsford left any orders for Pulleine, Clery did it on his own accord, making those orders UNOFFICIAL.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 11:14 pm

It makes no difference. If as you say Clery took in upon himself. Which I doubt. 
Glyn and LC were preparing to leave, that's why they have Staff officers and Secretaries. What I mean by it's makes no difference. 

2nd Evidence.—Colonel Glyn, C.B., states: From the time the column under my command crossed the border I was in the habit of receiving instructions from the Lieutenant-General Commanding as to the movements of the column, and I accompanied him on most of the patrols and reconnaissances carried out by him. I corroborate Major Clery's statement.

Glyn corroborated everything Clery said, under oath at the COE.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 11:20 pm

John, Glyn is only corroborating what was said in that 2nd evidence you quoted.

As a junior officer, Clery should not have taken it on his own accord by writing and issuing orders to a senior officer.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 11:27 pm

Martin you have no proof to substantiate what your saying. Clery wound not have wrote that, unless Glyn authorised it. Clery statement at the COE states exactly what he done. No one at the COE pulled him up for taking it upon himself to write orders. The orders he wrote to Pulleine were in line with the one, he was ordered to write to Durnford before Crealock spoke up in a tent behind canvas. .
Glyn.
"I mentioned in the written instructions to Colonel Pulleine that Colonel Durnford had been written to to bring up his force to strengthen the camp. I saw the column out of camp and accompanied it."
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 11:35 pm

And I think the reason, Crealock send the orders to Durnford, was because Durnford was not under the command of Glyn remembering Clery was Staff officer to Glyn. Nothing to do with Clery being junior.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 11:37 pm

No proof? Have you not read any of Julian's posts regarding this?

Neither Glyn nor Chelmsford left any orders for Pulleine, so Clery took it upon himself to do it. Clery was junior to Pulleine, so he should not have done that without any authority.

Now! was this order that Clery wrote and issued to Pulleine signed or initialled by Glyn or Chelmsford?

Or did Clery take that upon himself to do?

Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 11:46 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
No proof? Have you not read any of Julian's posts regarding this?

Neither Glyn nor Chelmsford left any orders for Pulleine, so Clery took it upon himself to do it. Clery was junior to Pulleine, so he should not have done that without any authority.

Now! was this order that Clery wrote and issued to Pulleine signed or initialled by Glyn or Chelmsford?

Or did Clery take that upon himself to do?

Well as that order isn't available we can only assume. Unless you have it.

It really gets boring when you keep referring everything back to Julian. He is not the all seeing orical of the Zulu war.
As I have said, all the evidence was read out at the COE, and no one then or since, apart from you have pulled Clery up for not having the authority.
But if you read Clery's evidence I'm sure many would have gone with him, as it all made sense, compaired to that of Crealock. And yes we would not be having this discussion, because had Clery sent the original order to Durnford, he would have known what was required of him. In turn that would have stopped Durnford scattering his men all over the show.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 11:58 pm

Crealock COE

"3. Lieutenant-Colonel Durnford, R.E., was not under Colonel Glyn's command at this time; he had been moved from his original position before Middle Drift, with some 250 Mounted Natives, 200 of Sikalis footmen, the Rocket Battery, and one battalion of the 1st Regiment Natal Native Contingent to the Umsinga District, on the Lieutenant-General's seeing the ease with which the Natal frontier could be passed in that part of the Buffalo River. The Lieutenant-General's order was therefore sent to him by me, being the only Head Quarter Staff Officer (except the Aide-de-Camps) with him. These details formed part of No. 2 Column under his command"

"2. I was. not present during the conversation between Major Clery, Staff Officer to Colonel Glyn, and the Lieutenant-General, but the evening before, about 8.30 P.M., on this officer asking the Lieutenant-General if the 1-24th " Were to reinforce Major Dartnell in the Magane Valley," he said " No."  The General received, I believe through Colonel Glyn, a subsequent representation which caused the fresh orders at 2 A.M. the 22nd, and the orders to Lieutenant-Colonel Durnford"

Hightlighted. Must have missed this, by relevant to the argument that Durnford was acting in line with those he received on the 19th. "FRESH"
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 5 EmptyMon Jan 05, 2015 12:05 am

John.

The COE was one big cover up.

They all covered their backs and looked after themselves and of course Chelmsford.

By Clery taking it upon himself to write and issue orders to Pulleine without any authority from either Glyn or LC, that makes those orders unofficial.

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 12 ... 20  Next