WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command. Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Service of Re - dedication of the grave of Lt Col FV Northey.
Today at 21:24 by 24th foot

» They fell like stones
Today at 20:17 by John Young

» Mansel letter?
Today at 14:13 by Drummer Boy 14

» Braves mens blood
Today at 12:36 by 90th

» The Battle of Isandlwana
Today at 12:26 by xhosa2000

» redcoats with Durnford
Today at 9:50 by 90th

» Isandlwana Casualty - John William Jones Davies
Yesterday at 22:44 by ADMIN

» Lamaci, Natal
Yesterday at 19:49 by Mike Morley

» Shepstone's last stand
Yesterday at 13:44 by xhosa2000

» Hamers 'rocketeer'
Fri 8 Dec 2017 - 16:27 by SRB1965

» Cairns east of Isandhlwana
Thu 7 Dec 2017 - 15:48 by rusteze

» William Henry Orchard
Wed 6 Dec 2017 - 17:08 by Frank Allewell

» Lt Col Northey grave rededication
Wed 6 Dec 2017 - 12:46 by John Young

» Captain Charles Lacon Harvey, 71st Regiment
Tue 5 Dec 2017 - 21:43 by ADMIN

» South Africa 1877-79, 1 bar 1879 CAPT: C.W. MURRAY 61st FOOT;
Mon 4 Dec 2017 - 21:21 by ADMIN

Brev. Lt-Col. R.H. Buller, VC, Staff
Brev. Lt-Col. R.H. Buller, VC, Staff: 2/60th KRRC-Zungwini,Hlobane, Khambula, Ulundi [Mac and Shad] Isandula Collection
Anglo-Zulu War 1879 - Dr David Rattray
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
ADMIN

Frank Allewell

rusteze

xhosa2000

SRB1965

90th

Drummer Boy 14

ymob

John Young

Julian Whybra

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Isandlwana eyewitness account by ?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana eyewitness account by ?    Sun 15 Feb 2015 - 6:22

Morning LH
Interesting account, one I haven't seen before, Im sure its pretty genuine as well. Ive had a quick look through and reckon its from a survivor of the Newcastle Mounted Rifles. He does specifically mention at times, 'Mounted Rifles', Bradstreet Hitchcock etc.
IF it is an NMR then there were 7 survivors not 4. But three deserted after helpmakaar so that could influence his perception of there being only 3 others apart from him. That would leave Horne, Burne, Moodie or Walsh as the potential authors. As Horne commented ( see Juanitas posts) that the piquet rode in and reported to him, and the author mentions he was on piquet then that would rule him out.
So comes down to Burne Moodie or Walsh.
Quarter Master Macphail in his memories talks of meeting up with Moodie and specifically mentions his size, around 16 stone, and his horse being weak. They met up and rode into Helpmakaar and then of to Newcastle/Dundee.
The author goes into detail that HE was a heavy man and his horse wasn't in good condition, hence Bradstreet wouldn't let him go out on the patrol from iSandlwana.
So if I was to take a stab in the dark I would go for Donald Moodie as the Author.

That really does need a more serious look at it though, but possibly its a good place to start.

Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Isandlwana Eyewitness Account by ?    Sun 15 Feb 2015 - 7:37

Hi Springy
Yes a very interesting account , especially the last TWO LINES ! . I dont remember seeing it before either , seems very genuine to me as well . I think the  ( 4 ) he refers to , are just their individual group of 4 , together at the river , the other 3 had possibly already left ,  or were somewhere else on the river and he didnt see them ? .
90th Salute

Last edited by 90th on Sun 15 Feb 2015 - 11:38; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana eyewitness account by ?    Sun 15 Feb 2015 - 8:02

90th
Yep would agree with that, hes obviously a very articulate man as well so I would say his opinion has a solid base, the last two lines that is.
Im tied up today with grandkids, the twins have arrived back from Patagonia so will try and trace tomorrow.
Just checking on a trip for May, will let you know.

Cheers Mate
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana eyewitness account by ?    Sun 15 Feb 2015 - 11:03

Who's Greenbank?
Back to top Go down
John Young

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana eyewitness account by ?    Sun 15 Feb 2015 - 11:27

CTSG,

Trooper G. Greenbank, Newcastle Mounted Rifles, killed in action at Isandlwana. He appears in a number of reports as Trooper C. Greenback.

Frank,

I'd follow your suggestion of Moodie, and I would hazard a guess that the recipient was no less than Duncan Campbell Francis Moodie, who was then resident in the antipodes.

John Y.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana eyewitness account by ?    

Back to top Go down

Isandlwana eyewitness account by ?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: ZULU WAR EYE WITNESS ACCOUNTS-
Jump to: