WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyToday at 1:46 am by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyYesterday at 8:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 Bar_leftAZW books to avoid - Page 2 BarAZW books to avoid - Page 2 Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 Bar_leftAZW books to avoid - Page 2 BarAZW books to avoid - Page 2 Bar_right 
John Young
A Crockart
Petty Officer Tom
SRB1965
Kenny
Eddie
Jager1
cmeghen
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

AZW books to avoid

Go down 
+14
Arthur Wright
rusteze
ymob
Martini-Henry
littlehand
Tenedos
aussie inkosi
John
Chard1879
runner2
Mr M. Cooper
Frank Allewell
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
waterloo50
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ymob

ymob

AZW books to avoid - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 3:16 pm

Sorry, the essay "the missing five hours" is not in the section "pot pourri".
Try this link: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Cheers
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 3:18 pm

Very many thanks
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 3:27 pm

Frank ALLEWELL, our "Springbok", an eminent member of this forum wrote some very relevant essays.
Unfortunately you can't find them in the section "zulu war publications and reviews" No
Cheers
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
aussie inkosi

aussie inkosi

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 3:39 pm

I am surprised no one mentioned John Laband all of his books a very good
Back to top Go down
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 3:42 pm

At the risk of upsetting anyone, as I am utterly new to this, may I ask for a few examples of the mistakes in Prof David's book? I am genuinely keen to know
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 3:48 pm

Bonjour,
Aussie Inkosi,
You are wrong, see my post of today (3h48PM).

Cheers

frédéric

Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 3:51 pm

Martini-Henry wrote:
At the risk of upsetting anyone, as I am utterly new to this, may I ask for a few examples of the mistakes in Prof David's book? I am genuinely keen to know

From memory, there is many examples of the mistakes on this book on the Rorke's Drift forum (new forum or old forum?)
Cheers
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 3:56 pm

It looks like the Brecon museum may have run out of copies of Hill of the Sphinx as the book is no longer listed on their website (might be worth asking though). The book is becoming very scarce indeed as the print run was only 1000 copies back in 2002. I cannot even find any secondhand copies advertised.

Brecon do seem to have some copies of Jackson's earlier and shorter work "Isandhlwana 1879 The Sources Re-examined" (upon which Hill of the Sphinx is based) so that could be worth grabbing, it is very reasonably priced.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 6:52 pm

M-H.

Have you tried eBay, you may be lucky and get a copy of Hill of the Sphinx on there, keep looking as there are always fresh listings being added daily by various sellers. There is another site called AbeBooks, you may also find a copy on there, but search for the best offers.

Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 7:48 pm

Thanks Mr Cooper. I've checked EBay, I'll definitely check out any leads on the book. If you have any other recommendations please let me know.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 19, 2015 8:42 pm

M-H.

Yes, it seems that Hill of the Sphinx is becoming hard to find these days. I was lucky about 3 years ago, I found a cheap one on ebay in good condition for around a tenner.

Just a few days ago I recommended the book to another new member, he was kucky, he got one, however, it was about £24, so it has gone up in price quite a bit. But just keep checking ebay and abe books, you may just drop lucky. There are other sites that deal with hard to find books, but beware of their prices, your best bet is ebay and abe books, or someone on here might just have a copy they might wish to sell, check out the Buy-sell-swap-loan-forum on the home page, you never know, you might just get lucky.

Martin.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 12:47 pm

I found my copy of 'Hill of the Sphinx' on Abe Books'. Its a helpful book that will give the reader a good overview on the subject. Highly recommend it.

Cheers

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 5:15 pm

Hi,

Can anyone comment on the book, 'NARRATIVE OF THE FIELD OPERATIONS CONNECTED WITH THE ZULU WAR 1879 REISSUE 1989', I am thinking of buying it.

Many thanks

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 5:57 pm

It is the official history of the war and, as such, I think it is a basic for any AZW book collection. First published by the War Office in 1881 and again in 1907 , it does not have the benefit of more recent research but you would not expect that. It has the original maps and plans and so is a vital starting point for many of the discussions on the forum. There have been two modern reprints, the one you are asking about and a more recent softback edition from Naval and Military Press. The text is the same in both, but in my view, the maps are much better in the N&M paperback. Both are readily available at a low price. An 1881/1907 edition will set you back £800 and upwards.

Steve
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 6:13 pm

Thanks Steve,

£800 is a bit steep for me but I'm sure its worth it.
Back to top Go down
Arthur Wright

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 1:20 pm

waterloo50 wrote:
This may have already been discussed before but I am just about to spend some of my hard earned cash on updating my AZW book collection. I'm still in the early stages of learning about the AZW and I'm worried that I may be spending my time reading books that are inaccurate. I have no wish to offend any authors whom I'm sure work hard to produce their work but some books are better than others. Are there any books out there that should be avoided? I have followed a recommended list of books from this forum but every now and then its nice to find a good book on my own.

I also understand that it may not be appropriate to name and shame so if Admin would like me to rephrase my question that's okay.

Kind regards

Waterloo52

Answering the question from the opposite end, I can, personally, recommend any writings by Ron Lock as I have personally seen the depths of his research and can vouch for the accuracy of his works and their accuracy. This would extend to works that he has co-authored with Mr. Peter Quantrill. I am currently reading "Zulu Victory" and find it an excellent read.

I have often found myself having to stop and verify claims and statements made by folk and unfortunately am not persuaded to accept things merely on the basis of the reputation of the person or persons making the claims or statements.

I am in much the same boat with regards being new to these matters and share similar concerns with regards investing wisely.

In summary, anything either by or co-authored by Ron Lock, I highly recommend. There is also an overview or Thesis on the missing five hours which you can find here. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 2:54 pm

Hello Arthur,

The general consensus appears to be that Lock and Quantrill are excellent, they most certainly, thoroughly research their subject. I also think that anything written by Ian Knight is a must have. I have read TMFH and if you take a look at some of the threads on here you will see that TMFH has sparked some very interesting debates. I was also very lucky in that I managed to get a copy of Hill of The Sphinx, an excellent resource if you can get hold of a copy. I agree with you on not accepting things based on reputation, take Saul David for example an excellent author and historian but he often makes the odd mistake. As you are probably aware there are some very knowledgeable people here on the forum, they are normally very good at answering any questions that you may have. Also there are a number of experts on the forum with regards to things like weapons, tactics and the general history of the AZW. This site is an excellent resource for anything AZW.

Kind Regards
Waterloo50
Back to top Go down
Arthur Wright

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 6:39 pm

waterloo50, Many thanks for your reply and advice. And thank you also for your comments, you are too kind. I am very still very ignorant on all matters AZW and am trying to learn slowly as time and memory allow.
Yes, I have noticed that the TMFH article caused a bit of a stir as it seems to have been a little at odds with conventionally held thinking.
I believe that the article "The Ammunition Controversy" which is Appendix C in "Zulu Victory" had a similar effect.
I still have much to read and even more to learn and glean all the help and support I am able to from this site. So very glad I came across it as the comments, remarks and suggestions are as you say, often from very knowledgable contributors.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Arthur
If you see Kieth Smiths Zulu War Source documents then grab it no matter what the price. In addition Julian Whybras papers are available from the RRW. These are really usefull as they all are related to source documentation. L and Q tend to take a few liberties at times, as do most of the authors.
There are a number of source documents available in the forum. I shall over the coming few months be publishing on the forum in that section quite a few of my own source document collection so you can read them in the original format.
You do the right thing by researching source documents, its what everything written springs from, sometimes wrongly.
Regards
Back to top Go down
Arthur Wright

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 9:25 pm

Mr. Allewell, Many thanks for your kind words, advice and encouragement. I shall eagerly await anything you are able to share. May I ask what the RRW is so I can have a look to see if I can find something there? Sorry for my ignorance.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 9:45 pm

Hi Arthur,

The Regimental Museum of The Royal Welsh. (RRW)

The museum holds extensive archive material; personal and official diaries, albums and photographs etc; much of which has never been published.

Access to the archives is available by appointment (normally Monday to Friday). Alternatively, email them and they will try to answer your query as long as it is pertinent to the Regiment.

You will have to pay a fee for access to the archives.

Regards

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 9:51 pm

Arthur Wright wrote:
waterloo50 wrote:
This may have already been discussed before but I am just about to spend some of my hard earned cash on updating my AZW book collection. I'm still in the early stages of learning about the AZW and I'm worried that I may be spending my time reading books that are inaccurate. I have no wish to offend any authors whom I'm sure work hard to produce their work but some books are better than others. Are there any books out there that should be avoided? I have followed a recommended list of books from this forum but every now and then its nice to find a good book on my own.

I also understand that it may not be appropriate to name and shame so if Admin would like me to rephrase my question that's okay.

Kind regards

Waterloo52

Answering the question from the opposite end, I can, personally, recommend any writings by Ron Lock as I have personally seen the depths of his research and can vouch for the accuracy of his works and their accuracy. This would extend to works that he has co-authored with Mr. Peter Quantrill. I am currently reading "Zulu Victory" and find it an excellent read.

I have often found myself having to stop and verify claims and statements made by folk and unfortunately am not persuaded to accept things merely on the basis of the reputation of the person or persons making the claims or statements.

I am in much the same boat with regards being new to these matters and share similar concerns with regards investing wisely.

In summary, anything either by or co-authored by Ron Lock, I highly recommend. There is also an overview or Thesis on the missing five hours which you can find here. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bonjour,
Unlike Arthur I think the quality of this book (I.E: "Zulu Victory") is very uneven.
Although I do not share at all the thesis of an organized conspiracy, the part about the blame and the cover-up is very interesting.
However, the analysis on the lack of ammunition as a cause of the disaster is totally debatable.
This is also the case for the intentions of the Zulus.
Moreover, this book contains some statements that are based on the imagination of the authors (“artistic licence”).
The book contains numerous notes (a very good point)…. unfortunately, some of which are inaccurate…as the photographs.

And you seem to forget this unfortunate incident about their work:

Peter Quantrill wrote on the Rorke’s Drift forum: (subject; “Missing five hours” / 22 Sept.2013)
“We have been discussing the Zulu regiments designated in Map 2, Campbell Collection, Durban, in which Ron and I have maintained that the Zulu regimental annotations were from Wood's original. The regiments are named, in our copy, along the dotted line of advance shown on Map 2 . You have indicated that the original only reflects the Nodwengu and Undi. This I have countered by stating that it was neither Ron nor I who were responsible for the naming of the regiments, but our copy has the regiments named.
Your legitimate contention has been of some concern to me, and I accordingly paid a visit on Friday to the Campbell Collections,where they gave me complete access to the 'Wood Papers.' The two original maps are marked Map 2 and Map 3, the latter showing designated regiments, left to right, with lines of attack. Map 2, however, only shows 'black dashes' to indicate the position of regiments without designating them, to the south of which is point X. You are therefore correct, but the mystery remains as to how they were annotated in capital letters and by whom? This is something neither Ron, nor I, in our dotage, could remember doing some four years ago.(2009, the draft work on TMFH.)
I then contacted our Land Surveyor Barry Bechard, a friend, and posed the question to him. He had surveyed and inserted the roads that were not in the original No. 2. He recollected that we had given a drawing to Clive Phelps, a Draughtsman who was duly acknowledged by us in TMFH. Phelps lives locally and I communicated with him yesterday. He confirmed the designation of the Zulu regiments shown in our copy of Map 2, were in his hand and taken from instructions from us, (presumably data from Map 3) and then placed by him in the positions reflected.
In our view it does not materially in any way effect the thrust of ones view of TMFH, rather a lack on our part, without excuses, of recalling the circumstances.
Both Ron and I would therefore unreservedly like to tender our apologies to you, which we hope that you will accept. When we placed the roads onto our Map 2 to help readers with the topography, we should also have, with an explanation, placed the regiments accordingly. This we did not and, unforgivingly, was an error of judgement on our part. This will also, hopefully, correct any historical misconceptions on the issue”.

In conclusion, this book gives me mixed feelings: exciting but somewhere unreliable:
See no offense against the work of Lock & Quantrill, you gave your opinion (and I respect it), I give mine: it’s the game.  Wink  Salute

Cheers
Back to top Go down
old historian2

old historian2

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 9:56 pm

The ammunition question as been debated. If you have anything to add. I'm sure there would be great interest.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 9:58 pm

old historian2 wrote:
The ammunition question as been debated. If you have anything to add. I'm sure there would be great interest.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
I have nothing to add
Back to top Go down
old historian2

old historian2

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 10:04 pm

I think that debate clearly showed there was an ammunition problem. I have read and re-read that debate many times,and concluded there was a problem. But open to change if a counter argument can be brought forward.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 10:17 pm

Old historian,
As you know for Knight and others authors (Whybra, Jackson...) there was no ammuntion problem on the firing line (with the possible exception of Durnford).
For them, the lack of ammunition is not the cause of the rupture of the firing line.
Lock and Quantrill think otherwise .
You studied the arguments of each author and the evidences, you are agree with the thesis of Lock and Quantrill, Where is the problem?
As I said previously it's your opinion and I respect it.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
old historian2

old historian2

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 10:26 pm

No, no old chap. I agree with the debate on the forum, which goes into a bit more depth than Knight and L & Q.
I don't base my opinions on the authors. If that's what you do, then I respect that! and we shall leave it there. Not after an argument. Just thought by your post you had something new to add, as you stated the ammunition problem was debateable.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 10:32 pm

I don't know if you study also the Rorke's Drift forum but there are also solid arguments from the two camps based of course on testimonies.
All the difficulty is the interpretation given to these accounts...
Cheers.
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
old historian2

old historian2

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 10:40 pm

I'll leave that website with you!

Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down
Ray63

Ray63

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 16, 2015 10:48 pm

ymob wrote:
I don't know if you study also the Rorke's Drift forum but there are also solid arguments from the two camps based of course on testimonies.
All the difficulty is the interpretation given to these accounts...
Cheers.
Frédéric

A cross forum debate would be intersting? This one & the RDVC.

Perhaps both Administrators could arrange. Doesn't matter if members are on both. They go for either there was a problem or there wasn't.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 5:27 am

Arthur Wright
"Answering the question from the opposite end, I can, personally, recommend any writings by Ron Lock as I have personally seen the depths of his research and can vouch for the accuracy of his works and their accuracy. This would extend to works that he has co-authored with Mr. Peter Quantrill. I am currently reading "Zulu Victory" and find it an excellent read."

Hi Arthur
One what basis can you vouch for the accuracy of L and Qs work, you have stated on a few occasions your 'infancy' in this field but your statement above seems to reflect a more learned approach?
Im really not questioning you at all but would appreciate a cards on the table situation!

I do have the utmost respect for both the gentlemen concerned but cannot elevate them to the pedestal you feel they deserve unfortunately.

Regards

Frank
Back to top Go down
kendrick Nelson

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 12:19 pm

Deleted. Constructive comments only.
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 1:16 pm

kendrick Nelson wrote:
Avoid any books by author Adrian Greaves

Any reason why, I have some of his books, I cant see a problem with them! Could you elaborate!
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 4:35 pm

When I first came on this forum, I was offered the advice that 'you should read everything and make your own mind up'. its what you think about the authors work that's important, not what other people think. Unless you are prepared to spend hours trawling through archives and pacing the battlefield the only real source of information that you will have, will be other peoples research. I don't think that I have heard anyone on this forum state that a particular AZW author is absolutely correct and infallible in their work.
Back to top Go down
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 5:10 pm

What about books to suggest? A book on the right horn may aid the discussion on the forum
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 5:21 pm

Yes,

You can always walk into a book shop and ask if they have 'The Right Horn', lol
Back to top Go down
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Every morning for me personally
Back to top Go down
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 5:44 pm

Sorry just being childish tho' at times I think the forum could do with a little light-hearted banter.
Back to top Go down
runner2

PostSubject: Re: AZW books to avoid   AZW books to avoid - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 17, 2015 7:34 pm

Deleted. Comments like that could bring a lot of trouble your way.

Constructive comments only.
Back to top Go down

AZW books to avoid
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next