WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn: Lt. Melvill: You didn't really have to choose between your country and the Zulu, did you? Lt. William Vereker: Um, and a damn close thing it was too.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colour Sergeant F. Machin
80th Staffordshire Regiment (Isandula Collection)
Largest private Anglo-Zulu War collection on auction
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
1879graves

ADMIN

John Young

90th

xhosa2000

rusteze

SRB1965

Frank Allewell

Tim Needham

applebygypsy

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 3
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

CAPTAIN PAUL BENNETT CONNOLLY R. E. SURGEON

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
littlehand

PostSubject: CAPTAIN PAUL BENNETT CONNOLLY R. E. SURGEON   Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:39 pm

Can anyone confirm he did take part in the Zulu War

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
East Side
SACRED
TO THE MEMORY OF PAUL BENNETT CONNOLLY YOUNGEST SON OF THE ABOVE CAPTAIN CONNOLLY R. E. SURGEON LIGHT DIVISION OF THE CAMEL CORPS WHO PERISHED OF FEVER AT SHALADOOD, NILE THE 18th APRIL 1885 IN HIS 31st YEAR
ON THE RETURN OF THE UNSUCCESSFUL RELIEF EXPEDITION TO KHARTOUM HE WAS MASTER OF THEGOLD CROSS OF RUMANIA FOR SERVICES UNDER THESOCIETY OF BUCHEREST HE ALSO SERVED HIS COUNTRY IN THE ZULU WAR 1879 AS A VOLUNTEER SURGEON TO THE FRONTIER LIGHT HORSE IN THE ENGAGEMENTS AT HLOBANE, KAMBULA AND IN THE EGYPTIAN CAMPAIGN AS SURGEON TO THE STRETCHER?BEARER COMPANY AT THE BATTLES OF KASSASSIN AND TEL EL KEBIR.

"Surviving Monuments in Grange Road Cemetery
The churchyard of St. Mary Magdalene was due to close on the 1st January 1859; this was extended to 1st April 1859. The new Grange Road Cemetery, two acres of Layfield, was consecrated on 25th June 1859. It began to fill up rapidly and the remaining nearly seven acres of Layfield were purchased and the new section was consecrated on 23rd November 1867.
At the turn of the 19th – 20th century the cemetery was almost full and a new cemetery was needed, the new cemetery was established at Woodlands Road. Grange Road Cemetery was not closed until 1971.
In 1973 Gillingham Council once again indulged in another bout of municipal vandalism and removed the majority of the monuments to the nearby tip. No proper record was made, consequently, much unique information was lost."

Source: KENT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SOCIETY

Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Capt Paul Bennett Connolly RE Surgeon    Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:49 am

Hi Littlehand
From Lee Stevenson's excellent publication ' The Rorke's Drift Doctor '
''Served during operations against the Zulu 1879 & in Transvaal against the Boers 1880-81 ; Joined AMD 31/7 /80 ; Died 18/4/85 , Handak , Sudan ; SA 1878-79 , EGY , Tek , K.Star .
90th
Back to top Go down
cam simpson

PostSubject: Re: CAPTAIN PAUL BENNETT CONNOLLY R. E. SURGEON   Wed Oct 07, 2015 6:41 am

His obituary states he was the Surgeon to the Frontier Light Horse and was at Hlobane, Kambula and Ulundi.

Cam.
Back to top Go down
John Young

PostSubject: Re: CAPTAIN PAUL BENNETT CONNOLLY R. E. SURGEON   Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:46 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Surgeon P. B. Connolly.

Engraving originally published in The Graphic at the time of his death, subsequently used on page 193 of They Fell Like Stones.

John Y.
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Capt Paul Bennett Connolly RE Surgeon    Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:16 am

Connolly gets a mention in Wood's own book ' From Midshipman To Field Marshall ' .
Evelyn Wood was having trouble with a fingernail whilst on Bivouac , after three days he had seen the Doctor at the Station Hospital , after it was dressed and I quote from Wood .... '' When he had dressed the finger I went back to my tree and sent for Doctor Connolly , a friend , and telling him what had passed , asked ; '' Please advise me , will this nail ever reunite ? '' ..'' No , it never can, as it is crushed down to the root .'' .. '' How do you pull it out ? '' ... '' Slit the nail down the centre , and then take hold of one half with a pair of Forceps, and pull .'' ...This I did , but when the first half came out I asked for some stimulant , and then I said ; '' Now please , I will look away while you take out the other half .'' ( 2 )

Footnote ( 2 ) I was advised by one of the first surgeons in London , whom I consulted on my return , that I should never get another nail , but Mr Bader , the Oculist , who was a warm personal friend of mine , discredited this opinion , and said if I kept the finger plastered up long enough a new nail would grow , and he was right .
90th You need to study mo
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Capt Paul Bennett Connolly RE Surgeon    Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:28 am

Good one JY .
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: CAPTAIN PAUL BENNETT CONNOLLY R. E. SURGEON   Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:52 pm

Thanks for the quick replies.

Pete could you move this to the grave section Salute
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CAPTAIN PAUL BENNETT CONNOLLY R. E. SURGEON   

Back to top Go down

CAPTAIN PAUL BENNETT CONNOLLY R. E. SURGEON
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: PICTORIAL CATALOGUE OF AZW GRAVES & MEMORIALS-
Jump to: