WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Quote: Lieutenant John Chard The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day. Bromhead Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Captain David Moriarity, 80th, KIA Ntombe
This photograph taken when he was in the 7th Regiment prior to his transfer to the 80th. [Mac & Shad] (Isandula Collection)
The Battle of Isandlwana: One of The Worst Defeats of The British Empire - Military History
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

rusteze

1879graves

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

impi

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
rusteze

John Young

Frank Allewell

SRB1965

90th

ymob

Julian Whybra

aussie inkosi

1879graves

paul mercer

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp

Go down 
AuthorMessage
waterloo50

PostSubject: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:22 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:08 pm

Well done Waterloo, great find.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:23 pm

This is part of a stonkingly good new exhibition at Tate Britain called Artist and Empire which I am off shortly to see.

Steve
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:58 pm

The Guardian Newspaper has a review of 'Artist and Empire', [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: The Battle Of Isandlwana by Charles Fripp    Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:19 am

Excellent find Waterloo , interesting .
90th Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:07 am

New NAM website with some excellent pictures of the painting and its restoration. See also the Rorke's Drift page.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Steve
Back to top Go down
John

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:27 pm

Steve wrote:
See also the Rorke's Drift page.

Good but nothing new!
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:12 pm

My daughter took some close ups of the Fripp at the NAM. The man was some painter!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Steve
Back to top Go down
Bert

PostSubject: Was a flag tied up or unfurled during this battle   Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:14 am

Hoping someone will know if the British flag or regiment flag was rolled up during this battle or out flapping in the breeze please?

I'm painting a cover on this battle & there seems to be a mixture of opinions of flag unfurled/flag not even out...
& looking at this wonderful, famous painting, shows the regiments flag out but then no eclipse...thanks scratch

Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
Bert

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:58 am

Hi xhosa2000 Many thanks for this excellent info, so would you say at some point during the battle the Queen's colour of the 2nd 24th would have had a flutter during the British battling the oncoming Zulus but lost when the situation took a turn for the worst? Salute
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:36 am

That's some photography. Really clear close up images.
Back to top Go down
http://www.1879zuluwar.com
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:59 pm

My attempt with Queen's Colour unfurled. "The last half-dozen".

Steve Reinstadtler
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: The Battle Of Isandlwana    Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks very good Steve , well done ! Very Happy Very Happy
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:25 pm

rusteze wrote:

My attempt with Queen's Colour unfurled. "The last half-dozen".

Steve Reinstadtler

When you say your attempt.Its that at photography or painting. ?.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:43 pm

Painting.
Back to top Go down
Bert

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:44 pm

xhosa2000 wrote:
Hiya Bert, the 2nd 24th's colour's were lodged in Glyn's guard tent, i suspect they
were taken as the Zulu drove the British back through the tent's toward's the nek
or saddle... i seem to recall that Lieut Dyer was mentioned maybe colour in hand
trying to rally the effective s, what we know for sure is that the only remain's of
the colours found in various homesteads in the month's following the massacre
were a colour pole and the brass lion which topped every colour pole, i wonder
that with all the three colours lodged in the guard tent, when it came on top Glyn
looked to the queen's colour of his battalion and made arrangements for its removal
from the field. the 2nd 24th were not so well represented, and with their officers
on the ' front line ' so to speak did not have time to make arrangements before
the Zulu drove them back through the tents such was the speed of the onslaught.
but nobody really knows for sure.     xhosa

Many thanks xhosa!
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:13 pm

As I posted a few months ago -there is an account of the battle of Isandlwana, recounted by Umsweanto/Muziwento (recorded by Swinney) - his father told him that -

"We were told also that there was a soldier at lsandlwana who carried a flag. He just waved it backwards and forwards. He fought not; he feared not (perhaps he put his trust in other soldiers)"

Whether this is anecdotal or a real event, I do not know but it couldn't have been the colours that were attempted to be save - because they were cased.

Ta

Sime
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:26 pm

Lots of points to comment on here - just one will suffice: if Adendorff is supposed to have deserted RD during the fight how was it possible for Harford to have sketched him with some of his men the very next day (the 23rd)? I'll answer my question. It should not have been possible. The fact that he did sketch him shows (along with a multitude of other evidence) that Adendorff did not desert.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:53 pm

Xhosa
Well, it's not author bashing. I wouldn't dream of doing that. It's simply pointing out one point of much additional evidence which clarifies a picture. No evidence whatsoever exists to indicate Adendorff was ever accused of desertion let alone stood trial for it. Glover, I think, simply embellished Morris's tale. One of many instances where Isandhlwana myth endangers factual history.
If we write often enough they sang Cy Enfield's version of Men of Harlech at RD, then people will believe it (in fact 9 times out of 10 they do!)
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Xhosa
Righto, thanks!

rusteze
I like your picture very much.
Back to top Go down
John Young

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:23 pm

Les,

What is thought-provoking - in my opinion - is the reliance on an account that was disproven as early as 1879, and then cite it as a reference, I refer to the quote from the false story of Lieutenant H. C. Young:

The popular press perpetuated many of these stories, although on the 1st March 1879, the highly respected ‘Illustrated London News’ drew its own rational conclusion for Coghill leaving the battlefield. It wrote that a Mr. Young, a surviving officer of the NNC who fled early in the battle alongside his natives, saw Coghill leave Isandlwana and commented, “It appears that Lieutenant Coghill was dispatched for assistance, as he was acting that day as staff officer to Colonel Pulleine”.

I have said this before and I reiterate it, I do not consider myself a historian.  I am just an interested amateur.

JY
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Julian

Very kind.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:10 pm

John
You may not yourself so consider, but I do.
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:55 pm

Steve,
In addition, you may be right.
Did yo know before to start your painting that a rumor told that one of the flag was in the middle of a coy during the fight?
Fred
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:54 am

Fred

I could claim it was an insight into the last stand, but it would not be true!
I have always admired the way that Fripp painted the regimental colour in his famous painting, particularly the flowing cords. I have placed my colour in the same location as Fripp. I also like the way in which the Queen's colour changes the shapes of the red white and blue crosses when folded - I stole that from a photo of Waterloo re-enactors! So all to do with art and nothing to do with understanding i'm afraid!

Regards
Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:22 am

Steve,
A superb work!
Just for information:
“Younghusband's company which has already been spoken of as having been held somewhat in reserve, was seemingly in square, and, with pouches tolerably full, was retiring steadily higher up the hill, drawing to it any stragglers who could reach it, and having the bandsmen of the regiment and the colours of the 2-24th in its centre”. H. H.Parr (“A sketch of..”, p.91).
Amitié
Fred
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp    

Back to top Go down

‘The Battle of Isandlwana’ by Charles Fripp
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: