WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyToday at 1:46 am by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyYesterday at 8:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie Bar_leftQuestions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie BarQuestions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie Bar_leftQuestions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie BarQuestions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie Bar_right 
John Young
SRB1965
Kenny
A Crockart
Petty Officer Tom
Jager1
Eddie
cmeghen
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie

Go down 
+4
John
fairestcape
waterloo50
90th
8 posters
AuthorMessage
90th

90th

Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie Empty
PostSubject: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 8:31 am

Faiestcape
Outstanding , looking forward to hearing the rest . Very Happy
90th

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 11:19 am

I enjoyed reading that, I'm looking forward to Chapter 5.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 1:18 pm

A quick question, what happened to all the equipment you were issued, did you get to keep any of it?
There is an excellent database for all the weapons used in Zulu Dawn on imfdb with some very good still shots.

GOOFS

There are many goofs in this film, in many scenes British soldiers switch from Henry Martini rifles and carbines between shots. During the battle only some of the British troops have bayonets fitted to their rifles when they should all have fitted them before the battle began. Many of the bayonets are either incorrectly fitted or obviously made of rubber. Also evident are the fact that many of the Henry Martini rifles are actually wooden props.

Back to top Go down
fairestcape

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 2:15 pm

waterloo50 wrote:
A quick question, what happened to all the equipment you were issued, did you get to keep any of it?
There is an excellent database for all the weapons used in Zulu Dawn on imfdb with some very good still shots.

GOOFS

There are many goofs in this film, in many scenes British soldiers switch from Henry Martini rifles and carbines between shots. During the battle only some of the British troops have bayonets fitted to their rifles when they should all have fitted them before the battle began. Many of the bayonets are either incorrectly fitted or obviously made of rubber. Also evident are the fact that many of the Henry Martini rifles are actually wooden props.

The opportunity to "nick" stuff was wide open to anyone on the set - and many "extras" absconded with large amounts of kit. We were frequently reminded by the production crews that if we were caught leaving the precinct (to go home, basically) with any property, they would unhesitatingly have us arrested for theft and be prosecuted.

But a lot of stuff got pinched, and we were very tempted to take home some mementos ourselves. When we did finally depart, we asked the production director if we could keep the little "Egypt" collar badges and a few shells of spent cartridges and the white shoulder bags. We were given a note permitting us to do so.

Spot searches became quite frequent, and departing buses were searched quite thoroughly. Some guys took to burying stuff in the ground, intending to return at some later date to retrieve it. We didn't care to take chances here, so other than the few trinkets we were told we could have, everything else was returned.

The "guns" were made of a cheap rigid foam plastic and hastilly "painted". If you scratched their surface, the foam would come away as a gritty sort of dust. Real guns were very carefully issued and controlled, with production assistants keeping a very close eye on what was happening with them during any given shoot.

On the days when the main battle scenes were being filmed, large numbers of us were issued with genuine Martini Henrys many of which could actually have been used in the Anglo-Zulu campaign a century earlier. I believe these guns were flown in from a wealthy collector from California, who accompanied his precious cargo for the duration of their use in the movie.

For 99% of the time, the guns we held were the rubbishy foam replicas, and as the bayonnette was part of the plastic casting, and the guns were so flimsy, a simple knock would break them. The first casualty was usually the bayonnette - hence many guns being seen without them. During the course of many weeks' filming, the condition of these flimsy foam guns deteriorated rapidly - some were not even recognisable as guns in the latter stages of production.

Because genuine Martini Henry's were not easily available, and neither were suitable real bayonnettes, some of us used 303 guns (can't remember the make or model). These were normally kept for distance shots, where stuff like cartridge smoke needed to be seen coming out of a barrel, but the distance was such that identifying the weapon was not possible.

A lot of the "extras" were very dumb and stupid people, and on many occasions would have forgotten to attach bayonettes before a scene was being shot. With such large numbers of stupid extras needing to be controlled and directed in some very complex scenes, I imagine the production crews just gave up trying to ensure they were properly kitted up, because having to re-shoot some of these scenes would have taken far too long and cost far too much.

The scenes showing the climax of the battle, took about a month to plan and film. Some takes - lasting 20 to 30 seconds - took an entire day to configure, with literally thousands of people being involved. This was long before the age of "CGI" and Chroma-Screen, so what you see is exactly what the cameras captured.

Setting up some scenes was massively complicated - with up to ten Panaflex cameras being run at the same time, across an area of several thousand square metres, or more. For one scene, one of the cameras was positioned about 2 miles from the set!

Given the relatively few number of production "bloops" in the final movie, I think the crews did a pretty good job of trying to ensure accuracy - but as I say - 9 out of 10 of the extras was a buffoon...
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 3:01 pm

fairestcape wrote:
waterloo50 wrote:

GOOFS

The opportunity to "nick" stuff was wide open to anyone on the set - and many "extras" absconded with large amounts of kit. We were frequently reminded by the production crews that if we were caught leaving the precinct (to go home, basically) with any property, they would unhesitatingly have us arrested for theft and be prosecuted.

But a lot of stuff got pinched, and we were very tempted to take home some mementos ourselves. When we did finally depart, we asked the production director if we could keep the little "Egypt" collar badges and a few shells of spent cartridges and the white shoulder bags. We were given a note permitting us to do so.

Spot searches became quite frequent, and departing buses were searched quite thoroughly. Some guys took to burying stuff in the ground, intending to return at some later date to retrieve it. We didn't care to take chances here, so other than the few trinkets we were told we could have, everything else was returned....

Looking at some of the stills on the link I provided earlier it is possible to see some rather ropey looking weapons, bayonets missing etc but I never noticed them when I watched the film, I get too engrossed in the plot and action to notice things of like that, the problem is, I'm going to notice them now. Still, its a fantastic film, you must be proud of your part in it. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fairestcape

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 6:26 pm

Of course, for purists and enthusiasts like us, absolute historical accuracy is an important feature. Because we know the finer details, when we see a production that ignores or omits these details, we tend to condemn the film. But the general public doesn't have the slightest concern if the soldier is using a gun issued 20 years after the battle he's representing, or if the badge on his beret is the wrong colour.

Most of the buffoons that were acting as extras did not even know what branch of army they were supposed to be in, or even what war they were fighting, or even when it happened. They were given a redcoat uniform and just told to wear it all day long. Their biggest concern was getting paid a few bucks on Friday afternoons, giving them the means to indulge in plenty of cheap alcohol. A lot of these guys turned up on set pissed out of their minds almost every day, but no matter... all they had to do was represent a red coat, sitting on a rock, somewhere in the background. If they twitched a bit, then the audience would see that they were a live person, wearing a soldier's uniform. No more was expected of them.

This film employed nearly 30 thousand people on some days - when the battle scenes were being shot, particularly, so whether any given "soldier" had his bayonette fixed in any given panoramic scene, where several thousand others were involved, was so trivial to the film's producers. As long as the general action was realistic, and as long as the overall historical context was maintained. Such attention to these very fine details - while being something the film makers were keen to achieve - did not matter much in the great scheme of things.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 7:10 pm

Is it true?
Anyone attempting to try in on with a Zulu female, would have been sentenced to hard labour or is that a myth?
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 7:27 pm

What an extraordinary question. Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 8:03 pm

"Cast and crew were warned that having sex with non-whites was illegal and would result in prosecution, imprisonment and a lashing." Suspect
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 8:07 pm

From the Independant!

"Filming under Apartheid

The producers had to keep their political views in check when they made the decision to shoot the film in South Africa, then in the grip of Apartheid. There were strict, legally enforced guidelines regarding the degree of freedom permitted to the cast and crew. It was impressed upon the 60-odd British visitors that sexual relations with people of other races would result in possible imprisonment, deportation or worse. Warned that miscegenation was a flogging offence, Baker is reported to have asked if he could have the lashes while doing it. The authorities were not amused."

Quite a good question to ask. Being an extra Fairestcape would know. Fact or myth!
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 8:13 pm

Yes admin, 24th, fully aware of that! but the question is so left field!
of all the questions that could have been posed why would anybody
focus right in on that aspect?. as i said i find that extraordinary, not
wrong..
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 8:15 pm

Sorry what am I missing scratch
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Admin views everything i say with suspicion it seems, i'm
just participating, no agenda. i just thought the question
posed was odd and out of context, nothing more.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 8:26 pm

There's me thinking you had a sheltered up bringing. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 8:31 pm

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 9:26 pm

90th wrote:
Faiestcape
Outstanding , looking forward to hearing the rest . Very Happy
90th
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 9:43 pm

Thanks 24th

Gent's I have moved fairestcape's account to the essay section. If you have any questions relating to his thread, please post in this thread, it makes it easier to read his story without the interruptions of other members posts.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptyMon Feb 01, 2016 10:28 pm

ADMIN wrote:
"Cast and crew were warned that having sex with non-whites was illegal and would result in prosecution, imprisonment and a lashing." Suspect

That's a new one.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 7:42 pm

Subject: Anglo zulu war essays , my part in making a great movie Thu 4 Feb 2016 - 23:15
Loving it ! , excellent , your experiences could make a film ...easily !
90th Salute

Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 7:43 pm

Zulu Dawn - my part in making a great movie Today at 12:37

great read sir. thanks for posting.

free1954

Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie   Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 7:44 pm

Zulu Dawn - my part in making a great movie Today at 12:54

Damn good read. Tell us more!

intombe

Back to top Go down

Questions relating to Zulu Dawn-my part in the making a great movie
Page 1 of 1