WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn: Lt. Melvill: You didn't really have to choose between your country and the Zulu, did you? Lt. William Vereker: Um, and a damn close thing it was too.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Black Powder Fouling Control
Today at 2:39 pm by yulzari

» Who Made The Prince Imperial's Coffin?
Today at 8:35 am by 1879graves

» Lieutenant Clement Williams, 3rd Battalion 1st Regt. NNC, Letter Home
Today at 2:40 am by 90th

» Pictorial Catalogue Of AZW Graves & Memorials
Yesterday at 5:15 am by 90th

» Photobucket
Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:58 pm by xhosa2000

» Lieutenant Robert D’Ombrain NNC 
Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:18 pm by ADMIN

» Colour Sgt (or was it Sgt?) Booth
Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:44 pm by xhosa2000

» The Camp at Isandula, on the Morning of January 22nd.
Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:53 pm by xhosa2000

» RYLEY John Rutherford
Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:42 pm by old historian2

» St Quintin.
Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:31 am by ADMIN

» An Old Zulu Warrior
Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:52 am by SRB1965

» Who is he & where is he !!!
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:55 am by 90th

» iNtombi Drift
Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:44 am by 90th

» Talk about Henry Martin from Gurney Slade Somerset
Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:00 am by andysandersuk

» Francis Broadfoot Russell
Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:58 am by rai

Chaplain George Smith, Rorke's Drift--signed.
(Isandula Collection)
Largest private Anglo-Zulu War collection on auction
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
xhosa2000

90th

1879graves

Frank Allewell

ymob

ADMIN

Julian Whybra

rusteze

John Young

SRB1965

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 3
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Frontier Light Horse Kambula Camp Col. Wood’s Column Zulu Land South Africa

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
littlehand

PostSubject: Frontier Light Horse Kambula Camp Col. Wood’s Column Zulu Land South Africa    Tue May 23, 2017 12:08 am

Frontier Light Horse
Kambula Camp
Col. Wood’s Column
Zulu Land
South Africa
Febry 19th

"My Dear Missie
You are the dearest girl that “ever was” for writing me such a nice long letter, it was quite the nicest I have ever received - I got it about a fortnight ago - (the letter I mean is the one telling me about Romen Williams being engaged to your friend.) I herewith enclose you a letter for Willie (which I wrote a few days ago, but was ordered to go out on patrol, so did not mail it) when you have read it, please send it on to him - I got a huge letter from all of you this morning which was written at A at [sic] Xmas time - how you must all be enjoying yourselves - A day or two ago some of my men caught some Zulus, & one had a letter which was address, “To the Kurnel of the Regiment”, it was from Oham (Zulu Chief) to say he had been at the Rorkes Drift fight, and had got the revolvers and rifles of our men & officers that were killed there; he wants to join us against Kenchwayo with all his men (about 2000) - My Regiment is going on patrol in a few days to bring him & his men into Camp. I hope it is not a trap that he is laying for us - it is just the sort of thing they would do - Oham also says in his letter, that Kenchwayo is going to attack the Column or Col. Pearson’s, on the day of the new moon (which is the 21st of this month, next Friday). He had an action skirmish with the enemy a few days ago, killed between 30 & 40 and captured about a 100 head of Cattle.- I dare say you will be surprised to see a English penny stamp on this letter - the reason is, one of our officers is going to England tomorrow, and takes this letter with him.- Emma says in the “combined letter” that she wrote to me some time ago - I have never received it - Tell me in your next where most of the letters have been sent to, so that I may have them forwarded -
I suppose we will have 8 or 9 regiments out here soon - I hope this business will be over soon as I should not like to stay out here a year longer. I am getting quite sick of it - I can’t get any of my luggage, it is all at Pretoria (about 400 miles from here; I expect it is all “jumped” by this time, (a nicer way of saying stolen). Harry Vaughan is with us at this this column with us (I suppose you can hardly remember him) he sends his kind regards to all, is a good deal changed, I did not know him, he is quite grey.- I am very glad to hear Josie is all right again & also that the little Chick is doing well - give her my love, & likewise to yourself and all the others.- Tell me in your next how my dog “Meg” is getting on.
Ever your affte Brother
Tochey[?]

P.S. Mr. Lloyd tells me that my Canteen came back in the ship I came out in. I have it sent to Dobbie’s the boot maker’s (25 Jermyn St.) care of E. Christain Esqr Lieut Frontier Light Horse (he is the officer who takes this letter) & will bring it back to me.
P.S. I don’t know anything against Romen William’s character but he is not “my sort of man” you can spell his name in three letters. Address the same as above but miss out Kambula Camp.

This letter was found in a suit pocket in ‘City Missions’ thrift shop, presumably in Launceston, in the early 1980s. The finder has been unable to trace the owner/s. We discovered it was written during the Zulu War in 1879. Cetewayo had become the absolute ruler of the Zulu in 1872 and endeavoured to revive the military methods of his uncle Shaka. In January 1879, the British under General Lord Chelmsford invaded Zululand with a force of 5,000 Europeans and 8,200 natives. Cetewayo had an army of 40,000. Chelmsford divided his force into three columns. His centre column advanced from Rorkesdrift 22 January but were attacked and over-whelmed near Isandhlwana. Of the other columns, Col. C. K. Pearson was besieged at Eshowe until achieving victory at Ginginhlove in April, while Col. Evelyn Wood, who had fallen back on fortified headquarters at Kambula, repulsed the pick of Cetewayo’s army 29 March. Kambula and Ginginhlove marked the turning point in the war. We hope our letter writer survived! It seems the letter was to his family in England, as he refers to Jermyn Street, which is off Piccadilly in London. Presumably what he has written as Kenchwayo is Cetewayo?"

Any information would be appreciated.—Editor. Reference: Encyclopædia Britannica, 1963
Back to top Go down

Frontier Light Horse Kambula Camp Col. Wood’s Column Zulu Land South Africa
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENEALOGY-
Jump to: