WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Lt. Melvill: Well done, Sir! Did you see that Noggs? Deceived him with the up and took him with the down. Norris-Newman: Well well, this one\'s a grandfather at least. If he\'d been a Zulu in his prime I\'d have given odds against your lancer, Mr.Melvill.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Lt. (Brevet Major) J.R.M. Chard, 5th Field Company, Royal Engineers--Rorke's Drift and Ulundi
(Mac and Shad) Isandula Collection)
Rededication Rorke's Drift Defender William Wilcox. 8th May 2011 Dolton Devon.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

1879graves

rusteze

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

impi

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
90th

Ray63

1879graves

John Young

xhosa2000

Frank Allewell

ymob

littlehand

rusteze

John

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Location of grave : Lt. F. Scott Natal Carbineers

Go down 
AuthorMessage
aussie inkosi

PostSubject: Location of grave : Lt. F. Scott Natal Carbineers   Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:03 am

Thanks I knew his grave was there but could not find it last time I was there I am going in January
of the 2 graves pictured which one is it do you have a close up photo please.

Are you able Tim to give me the directions to Scott burial plot So I can find it and take some close up photos please I have been there before so I know where Theophilus Shepstone grave is and the Colenso"s so if you can give me the directions from either of the above reference points

Thanks again
Back to top Go down
Tim Needham

PostSubject: Re: Location of grave : Lt. F. Scott Natal Carbineers   Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:49 pm

Lt. Scott's grave is the large toppled one in the centre - unfortunately it seems that the headstone remains in this position so I'm not sure how much of the inscription you'll be able to see (if my memory serves correctly, the grave to the right is his brother Daniel who also served during the Zulu War with the Natal Carbineers).

I'll try to get some rough directions to you shortly, just need to ask a contact of mine who found the memorial for me - I did enquire into the possibility of the stone being turned around, but I think it's such a big memorial that this seems unlikely.

Regards,

Tim
Back to top Go down
Tim Needham

PostSubject: Re: Location of grave : Lt. F. Scott Natal Carbineers   Sat Oct 28, 2017 10:08 pm

Sorry it's taken a while - rough directions to Scott's grave from my contact in South Africa, hope they're of some use:

It's in the Anglican section. That is opposite the Old Greys Hospital and  backs on to Miller street.
From the Lych gate it is probably easiest to take the second pathway facing left (North) …walk right to the end boundary wall,(nearest grave is Buntine/Pinson…. face north- east and travel past 3 main blocks of graves and turn right,:
graves then are Matthews; Coates;Broome: The Scott graves are in a strange diagonal block, before William.

Regards,

Tim
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Grave location of Lt F.D.Scott NC KIA Isanadlwana    Sun Oct 29, 2017 4:32 am

Thanks Tim .
Much appreciated , '' Aussie Inkosi '' and I will certainly be paying our respects .
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
aussie inkosi

PostSubject: Re: Location of grave : Lt. F. Scott Natal Carbineers   Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:45 am

Thanks Tim

For the directions 90th and I will try to turn over the Headstone to get the wording of the inscription scratch scratch scratch :  for all of us
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Grave location of Lt F.D.Scott NC KIA Isanadlwana    Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:23 am

Cheers Aussie Inkosi Very Happy Very Happy Salute Salute Salute Salute agree agree agree
90th
Back to top Go down
Tim Needham

PostSubject: Re: Location of grave : Lt. F. Scott Natal Carbineers   Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:24 pm

I have seen a photo of the gravestone prior to it being toppled - as far as I can make out the inscription reads as follows:

F(J?) DURRANT SCOTT
LIEUTENANT
NATAL CARBINEERS
BORN 19th APRIL 1851
FELL IN ACTION AT
ISANDHLWANA
22nd JANY 1879
AGED 28 YEARS & 9 MONTHS

Best of luck with getting the headstone turned around, although it may well take a few of you!

Regards,

Tim
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Location of grave : Lt. F. Scott Natal Carbineers   

Back to top Go down

Location of grave : Lt. F. Scott Natal Carbineers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: