WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyToday at 1:46 am by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyYesterday at 8:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  Bar_left Designer of Historical Boardgames  Bar Designer of Historical Boardgames  Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  Bar_left Designer of Historical Boardgames  Bar Designer of Historical Boardgames  Bar_right 
John Young
Kenny
A Crockart
Petty Officer Tom
SRB1965
Eddie
Jager1
cmeghen
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
 Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Designer of Historical Boardgames

Go down 
+4
Frank Allewell
Julian Whybra
BigRIJoe
ADMIN
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ADMIN

ADMIN

Designer of Historical Boardgames  Empty
PostSubject: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 9:29 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

"Dear Zuluites
I, a member of this group of enthusiasts, am a world famous (yes, I am at that level . . .)
designer of historical boardgames (or simulations). (Attrached is my instant resume, among other attachments)
I have recently finished a design/game on Rorke's Drift that you folks might be interested in . . . I have attached the gamemap for the game for you to see and comment, and I do note that, in the game, each individual soldier at Rorke's has own "piece" (which shiuld provide some interesting 'discussion".I do not yet have a publisher for this game, but that should not take long (hooefully). If you have any comments, suggestions or interest of any kind, please feel free to do so.
Thank you so much,
Richard H Berg"
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
BigRIJoe

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 3:34 pm

This guy is the real deal. He's been designing wargames for almost 45 years and his name is hallowed among wargaming grognards like myself.  Richard what we Zulu War fanatics need is a tactical level Isandlwana game or  a "Zulu War HexaGame with Rorke's Drift, Isandlwana, Hlobane  Kambula Gingindlovu and Ulundi. You might try selling it to Compass Games of Connecticut. They're also the real deal.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyTue Oct 09, 2018 3:47 pm

Richard
Your plan of RD is a little different in the detail to Chard's plan in terms of room layout and doors. Have a look at his account in the Royal Archives which is accompanied by several detailed plans of the interior of the buildings. I'm sure what you've done would provide for an enjoyable game but the purists will want historical accuracy and you can quite easily obtain it. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 7:22 am

Reply from Richard.

"Thank you folks for featuring me and my game stuff . .  .my gamemap is based on a large number of maps that I collected . . .as with any historical subject, they often differ. As I am looking to get a publisher for ZULU!, it is always open to change, etc etc . . . The same will be said for the Order of Battle for the "Brits", which include a counter for each individual present."

Best

rhb"
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyWed Oct 10, 2018 8:29 am

Richard
I'm sure all forum members would be interested to know what other primary-source maps of RD you've found apart from Chard's original in order to create your game-map. Looking forward to it!
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 7:49 am

Richard
A very common mistake that has perpetuated over the years is the semi circular barricade in front of the hospital.
In Chards original hand drawn sketch, submitted in his first report, page 14, There is no shaped barricade. There was however an outcrop of rock. That outcrop of rock was interpreted as being part of the defence by the draughtsman that formalised Chards sketches and over the years successive authors have perpetuated that error.
That particular map has been posted on the forum and is deemed the most accurate as being Chards very first sketch and drawn not to long after the incident.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 8:16 am

Hi,

My first thoughts are, as a wargamer (albeit not board gamer) of many years (too long) is that sometimes liberties have to be taken with 'terrain' or maps/plans.

In my RD set up, I have had to reduce the number of rooms in the hospital - to accommodate the miniatures, because some rooms were initially unoccupied and too make the game playable.

I once did a 'skirmish level' display game based soley on the hospital - with an in-scale (compared to figure height) hospital - so the building was much larger than an 'wargames' one. (its all about figure height to ground scale) but that was a game based around a small part of RD, with its own game mechanism

I'm not fond of the semi circular wall in front of the hospital.

My other thought is 1:1 for the defenders - is hellishly complex and depending on the game mechanism used perhaps long winded.

Games tend to be trade off between the historically accurate and the playability.

I look forward to looking at the mechanism & reading the reviews

Cheers

Simon

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 8:50 am

Sime
Unfortunatly as you may have picked up, this site is soooooooo about accuracy. We thrive on it, so when we have a self advertised 'World famous' historical designer , described as a 'hallowed big deal', one would expect a certain relevance to the subject being followed. Im not a gamer so cant really comment on its nuances but a modicum of research would have resulted in a more historically accurate representation. My funny old African brain would otherwise say why not play it on a snakes and ladders board? Very Happy
But there again Im from Cape Town and what the hell do we know! Salute
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Designer of Historical boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 10:15 am

Hi Frank
The semi circular shape in the defences at the front of the hospital has been described as a Lunette , I've read it over the years in some of the books , many times it's shown in the Maps and isn't part of the rocky outcrop as it appears to be in Chard's Map dated 1881 in ' The Narrative Of Field Operations ' , also on Pge 266 of the Noble 24th there is a series of 4 sketches , I don't know the artist , not named , only states .. Copyright Stanley Evans , the Lunette is shown in 3 of the 4 pics . As you say it isn't in Chard's original sketch , that doesn't necessarily mean it wasn't there , one only has to look at Crealock's painting of his , and the columns arrival at RD , where he hasn't put in all the mealie bag wall , which ran along the front to the hospital ! , that print ,  or for those who'd like to see what I mean,  is on the Front cover of Sonia Clarke's ' Invasion Of Zululand ' .  
90th Salute

Last edited by 90th on Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 10:18 am

Hi Frank,

I spose that's why gamers differ from historians - I anguished for hours about what uniform/outfit (NMP or hospital paitent?) to paint a 30mm tall 'Lugg' in......apart from his woolly hat....because I didn't want to be savaged by some self styled expert at a show.....who had seen the film Zulu and knew all about it......

I reckon it could be played on a snakes and ladders board but its probably a bit extreme.

I'm not into board games (though there is little difference between them and the 'wargames' I used to play - apart from the malady caused to my mind, wrecking my eyesight painting and probably giving myself lead poisoning over 40 years - as compared to buying a ready made game) but I have never heard of this fella.

The earnest members of this forum could make a super accurate - new version (script/screen play) of the film Zulu (with myself staring - of course) but it would be dead boring.....most of it at night, very few deaths (amongst the Brits), no 'front rank fire' etc, no 'ingomane' and above all no Ulla Jacobson.....I could go on but I have been distracted by Ulla....

But true maybe he should have tried a bit harder with his plan/map but from a gamers point of view its a fair representation (not as good as mine..... Wink - mines got a plank!) but if I was going buy the game (which I'm not) I would be too upset at the extension to the wall.

Cheers mate

Sime
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 10:30 am

" if I was going buy the game (which I'm not) I would be too upset at the extension to the wall.

Not if you were a Pink Floyd fan,
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 11:21 am

How I feel about historical board games.

Steve
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 11:32 am

Frank Allewell wrote:
" if I was going buy the game (which I'm not) I would be too upset at the extension to the wall.

Not if you were a Pink Floyd fan,

Sorry Frank, I meant to say ".....not be too upset...."

God I hate Floyd.......could never get into them.......
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 11:36 am

rusteze wrote:
How I feel about historical board games.

Steve

I love that chess piece......

Just out of interest have you ever played one? or do you just not like the idea......some people struggle with the idea of wargaming, board gaming, re-enacting etc without trying them - I'm the same with Nicolas Cage films.....
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 12:07 pm

Hi Sime

My feelings about war board games are not particularly rational! But I find them unconvincing because of the obvious constraints and limitations imposed by the nature of the beast. I get bored with Monopoly and Cluedo as well! Although I say it in a hushed voice, I feel a bit the same about toy soldiers although i recognise the skill that goes into producing them. What's the difference, you might say, between that and producing a painting? And you are probably right. To get down to a very basic question - what is the more informative and insightful, War and Peace or the History of Napoleon's March on Moscow? Tolstoy might be regarded as the ultimate war gamer!

Steve
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 12:46 pm

Hi Steve

Personally I feel that producing a painting is much harder than painting a wargames figure - after all depending on the casting - the detail is there for the painting to paint as best he can - doesn't matter if you dry brush, ink wash, layer or whatever.......its rather like painting by numbers (which is the limit of my artistic skill). My painting of figures is all smoke and mirrors & illusion.....

I'm not sure wargaming/board gaming is insightful or informative at all - its rather like saying that Tafl gives you an insight in Anglo-Saxon warfare. Gaming doesn't explain why a battle was lost, however if the game/rules are well designed - historical deployment, terrain and a direct recreation of troop movements should result in a historical outcome.......but that's where the random factors (dice/cards or whatever) come in

I think that wargaming gives (or gave - being as I have largely given up) me the desire to find out about historical subjects, though it could be argued that my love of military history (albeit strictly amateur) initially caused my hobby......

I am always fascinated by what people see in their own & other peoples hobbies/pastimes.......I can think of nothing worse than trying to drown a worm on a hook and despite some of friends trying to explain what its all about, I find it unfathomable.

Cheers

Sime
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 1:31 pm

I don't disagree with any of that. Human beings have the capacity to analyse and understand better through interaction with others, particularly when there is a common interest or endeavour. It is why informed speculation and the construction of credible alternative scenarios is to be very much welcomed. I do accept that war gaming can have just such an effect.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyThu Oct 11, 2018 2:10 pm

" informed speculation and the construction of credible alternative scenarios "

A perfect description of my hobby, in addition to copious amounts of Chardonnay that is.

Unwelcome in certain areas however.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 7:15 pm

A good discussion back on topic. I have put a new discussion into the ring section, for those that want to continue contributing. If you have a differences of opinion, use the PM facilities. Perhaps some members are suffering from SAD. Let’s keep the good discussions going. You know it makes sense.
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Designer of Historical Boardgames     Designer of Historical Boardgames  EmptyFri Oct 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Fair enough Pete, tho i'm surprised that you think seasonal adjustment disorder
is a real condition, speaking for myself.. i love all the four season's.. and i'm
most definitely not SAD.
Back to top Go down

Designer of Historical Boardgames
Page 1 of 1