WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Zulu Dawn Film Lt. Col. Pulleine: Lord Chelmsford assures us that there is no way the Zulu can get around us without our knowing. Col. Durnford: Zulu generals have a nasty habit of doing the unexpected. It might be wise to picket the hills.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
»  Isandlwana cultural centre
My new project HELP WANTED EmptyToday at 3:57 pm by John Young

»  Corporal F.Schiess
My new project HELP WANTED EmptyToday at 6:38 am by barry

» My new project HELP WANTED
My new project HELP WANTED EmptyYesterday at 7:49 pm by Frank Allewell

» The Old Store and Road
My new project HELP WANTED EmptyFri May 24, 2019 3:05 pm by Frank Allewell

» Durnford's penultimate order.
My new project HELP WANTED EmptyThu May 23, 2019 10:56 am by Bill8183

» Surgeon Major Frederick Beaufort Scott - Army Medical Department
My new project HELP WANTED EmptySat May 18, 2019 10:48 pm by Isandula

» Request - Like Lions They Fought by Robert B Edgerton
My new project HELP WANTED EmptySat May 18, 2019 11:34 am by 1879graves

» George Hampden Whalley
My new project HELP WANTED EmptyFri May 17, 2019 5:55 pm by 1879graves

» ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
My new project HELP WANTED EmptyThu May 16, 2019 10:11 am by steve.333

» Bassage Diary
My new project HELP WANTED EmptyTue May 14, 2019 9:30 pm by Rory Reynolds

» Lance Sergeant James Taylor (25B/82) E Company 2nd Battalion, 24th Regiment (2nd Warwickshire),
My new project HELP WANTED EmptyMon May 13, 2019 10:28 pm by Tim Needham

» The Western Slopes
My new project HELP WANTED EmptySun May 12, 2019 9:33 am by ymob

» Isandlwana, Last Stands
My new project HELP WANTED EmptyThu May 09, 2019 4:34 pm by ymob

» Clifford Scott
My new project HELP WANTED EmptyThu May 09, 2019 1:59 pm by Julian Whybra

» Soldiers Life and Work in South Africa - Durnford
My new project HELP WANTED EmptyTue May 07, 2019 9:16 am by 90th

The Death of Lt. Frith, 17th Lancers.
My new project HELP WANTED Screenshot-20190305-200950-Gallery-181x240 At eZungeni, Zulu War of 1879" original painting by Hermanus Willem Koekkoek (1869-1929) (Isandula Collection)
Isandlwana & Rorke's Drift 22nd January 2019
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th
My new project HELP WANTED Bar_leftMy new project HELP WANTED BarMy new project HELP WANTED Bar_right 
Frank Allewell
My new project HELP WANTED Bar_leftMy new project HELP WANTED BarMy new project HELP WANTED Bar_right 
littlehand
ADMIN
1879graves
rusteze
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
John
Mr M. Cooper
impi
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Frank Allewell
ymob
Julian Whybra
1879graves
SRB1965
John Young
rusteze
90th
Tim Needham
aussie inkosi
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.1
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 3
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

My new project HELP WANTED

Go down 
AuthorMessage
aussie inkosi

My new project HELP WANTED Empty
PostSubject: My new project HELP WANTED   My new project HELP WANTED EmptyWed May 01, 2019 1:05 pm

Hi guys

I am in the process of creating a web sight centered on Zululand I have a collection of panoramas which will be the center piece of this web sight, most of it will cover the battle sights of Zululand I am hoping to have this online by the end of the year.  As I am going through the eyewitness testimony's  it gives locations of certain features which I am wanting to confirm with maps which were drawn up as close to 1879 as possible.  As an example Uguku mentions a Kraal belonging to Baza which gives the location from were the artillary started firing which can be confirmed on Lieut Mainwaring map indicated by I.  Uguku also mentions a kraal belonging to  Nyenzani which was located behind Isandlwana of which the Nokenke regiment was moving to its not on the Mainwaring map but is there other maps that shows kraals located behind Isandlwana.  John Young has been helping me a lot but I thought it was best if I can remove some of the pressure and spread it around this is going to be a massive project I will be starting with about 50 panoramas  but that might only cover 10% of the entire web sight its going to take many more trips to these sights to cover all the places,  and as it is going to cost me thousands of dollars and hours to set up I will need to charge a small annual fee just to cover some of the costs, but the first month will be free so there is no obligation to pay if any one is not happy with it.  

This web sight will be great for all those who are interested in Zulu history but can not go and climb all these mountains and witness these magnificent views,  the best way to view these panoramas will be on a large screen which will be possible to view on your smart TV or if you dont have one you can connect your computer to the TV using a HDMI cable I have tested this from home and the results are great.  For all those who can contribute with Maps or any other images your name will be mentioned beside your images and I am prepared to give a discount for those who can help out,  nothing like this has been done before so if we who can all contribute we will be promoting our passion to those who may be interested.

So to start things of if there is a map of any kraals mark behind Isandlwana if you can post them or send me a private message I will be grateful.  Also I need a map with the location from where the guns finally fell in the hands of the Zulu and I remember not long ago seeing a map  from were the left horn  entered the camp from Durnfords donga.  If there is other things you may want to help with, you can send me a private message.  I will be posting more requests in the near future

Thanks and lets make this web sight something special.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: My new project HELP WANTED   My new project HELP WANTED EmptyThu May 02, 2019 11:11 am

I wish you well with your project which sounds like quite an undertaking. There are relatively few maps of Isandhlwana at a sufficiently large scale to show the kind of features you're after. The obvious ones are those included in the Narrative - the Military Survey of the Battlefield of Isandhlwana by Anstey shows kraals. More generally, a selected bibliography of Natal Maps by Merrett was published in 1979 by JK Hall and Co. in Boston USA. It lists 15 maps of Isandhlwana ranging in date from 1879 to 1966.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: My new project HELP WANTED   My new project HELP WANTED EmptyThu May 02, 2019 4:56 pm

Isandlwana Battlefield Site plan 10155/1 (dated 22.10.1986, Natal Provincial Administration Works Department) All the cairns were numbered.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: My new project HELP WANTED   My new project HELP WANTED EmptyThu May 02, 2019 4:56 pm

Isandlwana Battlefield Site plan 10155/1 (dated 22.10.1986, Natal Provincial Administration Works Department) All the cairns were numbered.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: My new project HELP WANTED   My new project HELP WANTED EmptyThu May 02, 2019 4:58 pm

I havent seen this map for a good many years but seem to recall there are cairns located on it. Possibly somebody on the forum can assist.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: My new project HELP WANTED   My new project HELP WANTED EmptyThu May 02, 2019 5:42 pm

This looks like something similar, but an earlier date?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Steve
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: My new project HELP WANTED   My new project HELP WANTED EmptyFri May 03, 2019 6:51 am

Hi Steve
Thats the old Provincial Road map exploring the new access road. The cairn map is similar as you pointed out, with all the cairns numbered.
Ive checked with the PMB archives and cant locate it there so it will probably be in Durban somewhere.
Still searching.
Back to top Go down
krish

PostSubject: Re: My new project HELP WANTED   My new project HELP WANTED EmptyFri May 03, 2019 8:23 am

aussie inkosi wrote:
Hi guys

I am in the process of creating a web sight centered on Zululand I have a collection of panoramas which will be the center piece of this web sight, most of it will cover the battle sights of Zululand I am hoping to have this online by the end of the year.  As I am going through the eyewitness testimony's  it gives locations of certain features which I am wanting to confirm with maps which were drawn up as close to 1879 as possible.  As an example Uguku mentions a Kraal belonging to Baza which gives the location from were the artillary started firing which can be confirmed on Lieut Mainwaring map indicated by I.  Uguku also mentions a kraal belonging to  Nyenzani which was located behind Isandlwana of which the Nokenke regiment was moving to its not on the Mainwaring map but is there other maps that shows kraals located behind Isandlwana.  John Young has been helping me a lot but I thought it was best if I can remove some of the pressure and spread it around this is going to be a massive project I will be starting with about 50 panoramas  but that might only cover 10% of the entire web sight its going to take many more trips to these sights to cover all the places,  and as it is going to cost me thousands of dollars and hours to set up I will need to charge a small annual fee just to cover some of the costs, but the first month will be free so there is no obligation to pay if any one is not happy with it.  

This web sight will be great for all those who are interested in Zulu history but can not go and climb all these mountains and witness these magnificent views,  the best way to view these panoramas will be on a large screen which will be possible to view on your smart TV or if you dont have one you can connect your computer to the TV using a HDMI cable I have tested this from home and the results are great.  For all those who can contribute with Maps or any other images your name will be mentioned beside your images and I am prepared to give a discount for those who can help out,  nothing like this has been done before so if we who can all contribute we will be promoting our passion to those who may be interested.

So to start things of if there is a map of any kraals mark behind Isandlwana if you can post them or send me a private message I will be grateful.  Also I need a map with the location from where the guns finally fell in the hands of the Zulu and I remember not long ago seeing a map  from were the left horn  entered the camp from Durnfords donga.  If there is other things you may want to help with, you can send me a private message.  I will be posting more requests in the near future

Thanks and lets make this web sight something special.

If you can give me a landmark of the Mainwaring map, I can have a look at the map my cousin drew, in 1878, which lists many of the kraals. Kris
Back to top Go down
http://www.edurnford.blogspot.com
aussie inkosi

PostSubject: Re: My new project HELP WANTED   My new project HELP WANTED EmptySat May 04, 2019 11:08 am

Thanks all, for all your help I am looking into all your leeds
Back to top Go down
aussie inkosi

PostSubject: Re: My new project HELP WANTED   My new project HELP WANTED EmptyYesterday at 10:56 am

I have a Question as I am doing some research on the first sighting of the Zulu by trooper Barker and Whitelaw both being at different locations on Pickett duty where these Zulu's both these troopers saw were they also seen by the pickets on Mikwene and is there any documentation to confirm this I have my personnel belief but i need to look at other possibilities

All your opinions will be welcomed
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: My new project HELP WANTED   My new project HELP WANTED EmptyYesterday at 7:49 pm

Aussie
Look back on the forum. Ian Knight once answered questions from forum members, one of those was on the piquets.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My new project HELP WANTED   My new project HELP WANTED Empty

Back to top Go down

My new project HELP WANTED
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: