WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyToday at 1:46 am by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyYesterday at 8:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? Bar_leftPulliene wounded on the firing line? BarPulliene wounded on the firing line? Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? Bar_leftPulliene wounded on the firing line? BarPulliene wounded on the firing line? Bar_right 
John Young
A Crockart
Petty Officer Tom
SRB1965
Kenny
Eddie
Jager1
cmeghen
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Pulliene wounded on the firing line?

Go down 
+2
90th
crimea
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
crimea

crimea

Pulliene wounded on the firing line? Empty
PostSubject: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyFri Jul 17, 2020 4:05 pm

Noticed on another forum that Pulleine was wounded in the head by Zulu musketry whilst on the firing line at Isandlwana. Anything in this?

Crimea
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Pulleine wounded on the firing line    Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 12:45 am

Hi Crimea
Don't remember ever coming across it , doesn't mean it didn't though , many mysteries when it comes down to Isandlwana .
90th
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 5:12 am

The only reference to Pulleine being wounded was an overheard conversation from I think Coghill. Would love to know any other source
Frank
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 9:11 am

Two quotes I can find are-

Curling: “Shortly after this I saw Lieutenant Coghill, who told me Colonel Pulliene had been killed.”

Private Brickly:“Lieut. Coghill afterwards joined us, and reported to the Adjutant that Colonel Pulliene had been shot.”

Obviously the word in the first quote is 'Killed' (fairly non ambiguous) but the wording of the second one "been shot" leaves room for debate.....but these are quotes of what someone said and remember in the heat of the moment.....

Cheers

Sime

Back to top Go down
crimea

crimea

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 11:27 am

The following is from Wikipedia. hardly gospel, but worthy of debate perhaps?

Donald Morris, in The Washing of the Spears, possibly basing his account on that which circulated amongst the 24th's officers after the battle, provides probably the fullest account of Pulleine's final moments. In his version, once it became clear the battle was lost, Pulleine ordered Melvill to attempt to escape with the colour before retiring to his tent, possibly to write a letter to his family, or alternatively to sketch a report of the defeat for Chelmsford. Before he could finish a Zulu confronted him and, despite wounding the man in the neck with his revolver, Pulleine was fatally stabbed by an assegai.[18]

An unknown source describes Pulleine as having died 'early'[18] in the fighting, and according to Henry Curling of the N/5 battery, Coghill informed him Pulleine was dead when he met Curling and Stuart-Smith as they began their flight to the Buffalo River.[15] This account is supported by that of another British survivor Pte Bickley, who mentions Coghill reporting to Melvill that Pulleine 'had been shot.'[19] This version of events would explain why Durnford was apparently unable to locate Pulleine once his force returned to the camp as the rout began. Furthermore, in his memoir A Lost Legionary in South Africa, Commandant George Hamilton Browne describes coming across and saluting Pulleine's corpse on his way back from visiting his tent on the morning of the 23rd.[20] Hamilton-Browne's 1st/3rd NNC had their tents on the extreme left of the camp, so the account would be consistent with Pulleine having died here.

It is also possible that Pulleine survived the British collapse, only to be killed in one of the desperate last stands which took place after it became obvious the British were doomed. Such a scenario is supported by at least one survivor account. Cracroft Nourse, a company commander with the NNC, describes how he saw 'half a company of the 24th, with their colonel in their midst, assegaied.'[21] near the foot of Isandlwana hill as he began his escape.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 11:57 am

Crimea
This may assist:
https://www.1879zuluwar.com/t10177-the-western-slopes?highlight=Pulleine

also for a touch of conjecture
https://www.1879zuluwar.com/t10364-missing-cairns?highlight=the+missing+cairns

Morris whilst brilliant in his time was really very very good at making 2 + 2 = whatever he fancied Very Happy Very Happy

Frank
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 12:17 pm

The tent scenario (as recreated by Denholm Elliot in Zulu Dawn) was taken from the account of Zulu warrior.....the warrior obviously not knowing who his 'victim' was.

Quite what the officer was writing is and will never be known....if it happened at all....I prefer to think it was a shopping list for the local hardware store.......and ended with "oh yeah and get some screwdrivers please".....
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Pulleine wounded on the firing line    Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 2:06 pm

Excellent Frank 2+2 = WIW ( Whatever I want ) very good . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Joker Joker Joker Joker
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
crimea

crimea

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 3:15 pm

Thanks Frank, that's a veritable mine of information...trouble is....it raises more questions than answers! LOL. Thanks to 'Zulu Dawn' I have this image of Pulleine sitting in his tent and fatalistically allowing himself to be killed......nice to think that he may have sold his life more dearly along with  the remnants of his command!
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 4:09 pm

To imagine that as a battle raged around him and all was being lost, Pulleine would have found a quiet moment to pop back to his tent to write a few lines to his missus can only be worthy of Hollywood. I can picture a scene in which he might have decided to write a hurried note for Rorke's Drift and get it away with a messenger...but even then...Pulleine knew that his place was with his regiment and that's where he would have remained.
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi

One thing that fascinates me is John Williams account of the end of the battle -

I then saw Lieutenant Melvill leaving Camp with the Queen's Colour and Lieutenant Coghill close behind him; the latter told me to come on or I should get killed; just then the two guns of the R.A. retreated out of Camp past me and I could see the men on foot who had attempted to escape turned back and coming into Camp.

When I got onto the hill overlooking the Rorke's Drift road the Zulus were entering the Camp from that direction and I saw Lieutenant Coghill's horse assegaid in the thigh.

About 300 yards out of the Camp the ground became so bad that the guns of the R.A., were upset and I saw several of the drivers assegaid. I passed them here and saw no more of the guns.

On my way to the drift I passed Band Sergeant Gamble 1/24th Regiment on foot but could give him no assistance.

When I got down to the drift I saw Lieutenants Melvill and Coghill coming down the rocks to it, and after I entered the river to cross saw no more of either of these Officers

If you take his account at face value - he left the camp after M&C, and the guns, saw Coghills horse assagied in the thigh whilst he (Williams) was on the saddle/nek

He went '300 yards' out of camp, passed the guns, passed Gamble

But ended up at Fugitives Drift before M&C

Obviously the trauma may have caused problems with his recollection of events.....

I have to assume that information about the Colour, that Melvill was carrying was learned soon after but before giving his statement - the Colour was cased (unless the Queens & Regimental colours had different cases?) so how would he know what Melvill was carrying.

Another point I have been pondering is did the 'unlucky' Gamble ask him for help because he says he could be of no assistance.....

Cheers

Sime
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 5:43 pm

Hi Simon
Looking at the language:
'The later told me to come on', that intimates he was ahead of Williams and was urging him forward
'just then then the two guns of the RA passed me', so he had left the camp before the guns, possibly not by much.
The guns were ahead of him as you say he passed them 300 yards out of the camp.

Its a common thought that there was a pathway, the fugitives trail, and all the escapees followed that path. In truth they were spread over a wide area from the summit of Mpethe across the flat plain and bog to the edge of the cliff leading down to the river passed the bend and rapids. So its more than feasable that Williamd took a better route, inadvertently, than M and C.
As far as Gamble is concerned he seems to be in the same area as he was when Brickhill passed him.

Regards

Last edited by Frank Allewell on Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySat Jul 18, 2020 10:11 pm

Weren't Gamble's words something akin to "For God's sake give me a lift!"?
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Pulleine wounded on the firing line    Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 1:24 am

Julian ' For God's Sake give me a lift ' I think you'll find was directed at Brickhill ? .
90th
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 6:31 am

When we consider the situation it was really brave of Brickhill to admit that he abandoned Gamble, self preservation sure but the anguish he must have felt later on in life.
As a matter of interest Simon a mate of mine is getting ready to start mapping the cairns along the trail, hopefully rediscovering a few that have become over grown with the passage of time.
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 8:23 am

Hi Frank,

That would be very interesting.

Obviously cairns contain multiple occupants but I often wonder how many British casualties were West of the battlefield - who's cairns/remains have been destroyed by subsequent farming on that side of the hill.....never know of course....

Cheers

Sime
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 8:55 am

90th
Yes, I know. SRB was wondering about the trauma created in the fugitives' minds causing them to confuse events later on and about what Gamble might have asked Williams for him to be 'of no assistance'. Reading accounts, I think the trauma of the flight was more influential than is generally realized. Gamble's remark to Brickhill indicates something of the panic which then bred further panic in men's minds. Gamble must have said something similar to Williams (a sergeant to a private) which must have created something of a brief dilemma for Williams. Disobeying a sergeant - possible repercussions - devil take the hindmost - leaving someone he knew well to his fate - a split second decision. It must have played on Williams's mind then but more so later for him to have mentioned it in his statement. PTSD, not being recognized then, must have presented itself in many forms afterwards, as an outlet, and confused, jumbled re-telling must have been one of them. The mind recalls what it wants to recall and in no particular order. Trying to make sense of it afterwards must have been a torment for these poor blokes and they often got it wrong.
The Barker and Granger accounts are good examples of this.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 9:29 am

Simon
The 1940 aerial survey of the area shows massive farming of the western slopes. In fact a map I have of the late 20's shows a farmhouse owned by the Lurrings family around half way down to the stream.
An interesting point with Gamble is that if he was passed in the stream bed, Brickhill says he was tottering around over the rocks, he must have left pretty early to get there ahead of Brickhill. Williams passed him on the way to the stream bed on foot, and well ahead of M and C. I wonder what his duties would have been whilst the camp was under attack. Most band members were acting as either stretcher or ammunition bearers, would Gamble have been in charge of them? If so his departure could well have been with indecent haste!
Just a though.
Frank
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 9:44 am

Hi Frank

He is mentioned by one of the survivors of the band (Wilson) - who was on stretcher duty.

When things started to go pear shaped and the defence collapsed, Shepard told them they would be of no use and Gamble told them to do one.

Reading his account it seems to be soon after the Police and Carbineers retired from the camp - he mentions the 'rest of the idlers' leaving camp.

He started of (along with someone else) carrying a stretcher back towards the nek....

Cheers

Sime
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 10:01 am

Hi Julian,

I spose once the jig was up, it came down to survival instincts......regardless of rank or station.....Williams had a horse....Gamble did not.

Given the time to do a 'risk assessment' and tactical evaluation, maybe Williams could have helped, maybe Brickhill could have - I think it was Hamer who says he was given a horse by a 'rocketeer' who was shot and killed soon after.

I often wonder about Vereker giving up the horse because the NNMC claimed it was his.....I myself would have asked for a Bill of Sale, registration document and at least 2 affidavits proving ownership (but that's me)

There were many 'heroic' acts and many 'cowardly' (though I don't like using that word - perhaps 'selfish' is better) ones - most of which are now lost in time.

Undoubtedly these men felt survivors guilt.....to the rest of their days and tried to justify their actions - at least in their own minds.

I really must get out more.......

Cheers

Sime
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 12:02 pm

Frank
Before making any assumptions about Gamble's or anyone else's undue haste it must be remembered that he might have caught a loose horse which was subsequently stabbed forcing him to go on foot.  Perhaps that's way he was found tottering among the rocks so far along the trail.
Plenty of fugitives recorded that their horses were killed or fell and they caught another.  The 'Brave Fugitive' Hall got through three.  What was true of those who lived to tell the tale was also true of those that didn't.
SRB
Cowardice...selfish...? Self-preservation is a powerful motivator. The guilt of the survivors must have been overpowering especially for officers like Curling who must have felt a responsibility towards the men they commanded.
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 12:18 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:

SRB Cowardice...selfish...?  Self-preservation is a powerful motivator.  The guilt of the survivors must have been overpowering especially for officers like Curling who must have felt a responsibility towards the men they commanded.

Hence the inverted commas, Julian...... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 1:58 pm

Walking or riding Julian he was still ahead of Williams, if he had ridden part way it would make his departure that much earlier. As it is he seems to have departed well before Williams, who in turn saw M and C and the artillery before passing Gamble. So the 'assumption' has to remain, he left at an early stage. No disrespect intended for the good Sergeant but if one is putting together a time frame for the Fugitives it adds another point to the project.
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 2:55 pm

If its any help Frank:-

Wilson

Gamble told Wilson to ship out (from the hospital tent area), he was passed by a carbineer heading up the to the hill (saddle?)
He caught a horse about ‘half a mile’ down the track.
He crossed the river and 50 to 100 yards on the Natal side met Private Bickley ('some way on' found a spare horse) at some point Wilson and Bickley met up with Sergeant Norton (IMI).

Bickley

He left from the area of the Officers Mess.
Made it to the saddle to see the Right Horn closing the road to Rorkes Drift
Found a pony about a ‘quarter of a mile’ from camp, shortly caught up with Mel and was joined by Coghill (who told them the Pulliene had been shot).

Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 3:41 pm

Frank
When you write 'walking or riding he was still ahead of Williams' that all depends on when the mounted Gamble might have lost his horse.  If he'd lost it half a minute before Williams arrived, he would left the camp at about the same time.  It also depends on where Williams and Gamble were in the camp when they began their retreats.  Williams was north of the General's tent and able to fire from there at the approaching Zulus.  If Gamble had been delivering ammo to the line he would have had much further to go to reach camp, unless he'd caught a riderless horse...if he was in the waggon park he would have been nearer the rear of the saddle...and so the speculation goes on.  I'm not moaning, I just think it's all too easy to say that a man left the camp 'early'.  It all depends on the starting point and the mode of travel.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 4:47 pm

I take your points Julian and Simon. However The RA had left the camp and been caught and savaged when Wilson got passed the wreckage, on the way to the drift he then found Gamble.
The speculation would therefor be that he left the camp well ahead of Williams, even after telling him to leave. The possibility then is that he could have caught a horse, and for whatever reason lost it. Again its possible that the RA were attacked and wrecked before he got there, so putting his departure after the RA. But he was still between the RA last known point and the stream when caught up by Williams hence would have had to have left before.
There are all sorts of permutations, Gamble had a horse lost it just after the RA demise then carried on walking, or, had passed that area before the RA was attacked then lost his horse, or, walked / ran from the camp early and had passed the RA site before it was attacked.
Endless possibilities but bottom line he was ahead of Williams and Brickhill therefore by any margin he left before.
In terms of starting point he was in a similar position within the camp at the same time as Williams
Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 5:35 pm

Frank - I think Cog (not Gamble) told Williams to go and Gamble dismissed Wilson.

It seems that Wilson, Williams, Bickley and Gamble were all at the rear of the camp - Hospital tent, Glyns tent, quartermasters' area and Hospital tent (respectively).

Gamble could have found a horse and subsequently lost it but his last known contact (Wilson) did not find one until about half a mile down the track - Bickley had a saddled horse but left it for the Quartermaster (who told him to saddle it and went off towards the latrine).

We know that Williams had a horse from the get go but Bickley and Wilson found one on the track. Williams says he passed Gamble 'on his way to the drift'.

I feel that Wilson either left slightly before Gamble or at the same time as Gamble (Gamble told him to go) from the hospital area

If a similar exercise to what Julian did with the timeline of What the Rearguard Saw, could be done - you have a number of points in time - the departure of the guns, retreat of the Carbineers/Police, which to start from.

Now this may be a silly question but could a man on horse travel much quicker than one on foot along the Fugitives Path? - maybe in places but not all the way.....you are ex-cavalryman and have walked the path, there must be some advantage to having a horse and as far as I know, if you had not got a horse before 'half a mile on the track, you were in trouble....

cheers

Sime

Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 5:49 pm

My thoughts are Williams left last but having a horse from the start overtook Gamble who did not have a horse but never caught up with Bickers or Wilson (or at least never mentioned it)

Wilson left slightly before Gamble and found a horse half a mile down the track

Bickers left around the same time but found a horse before Wilson so was always ahead of him until they met in Natal.

Gamble left around the same time as Wilson & Bickers but never got a horse

And finally it was "Colonel Plumb in the WC with a lump hammer, that did it"

I've probably got this all wrong but hay ho......all as we have to do is tie in M & C with all this......
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 6:08 pm

Frank
There's some confusion in your posting - too many cold beers on a Sunday afternoon...
Wilson made no mention of passing Royal Artillery wreckage.
Wilson did not find Gamble on the way to the drift. The last time he saw Gamble was when Gamble (in the camp) told him to leave.
It was Melvill who told Williams to leave, not Gamble.
SRB
Col. Plumb never went in the WC. That was QM Pullen - Bickley saw him heading in the direction of the 1/24th officers' latrines.
Yours, confused, of Billericay.
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 8:47 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:

That was QM Pullen - Bickley saw him heading in the direction of the 1/24th officers' latrines.

Well when you've got to go, you've got to go.......20,000 spear armed enemies would certainly make me want to.....

Is Frank allowed beer now Uncle Cyril has banned it?
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 10:08 pm

"when Wilson got passed the wreckage,"
Sorry that should have read Williams.The bottom line remains.
I started an essay a few hundred years ago on all the fugitives, even built a 3d comp model but it became impossible. SD blows it all apart, take him out of the equation and we can get a result. The central part works out on the theory 2 + 2=WIW, must pull it out and re look at it.
And the wine cellar is well stocked, Cyril caught me once, never again, and its bloody cold in Cape Town, 21 today
Back to top Go down
WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 11:31 pm

To get back to the original question, here's what I have on the fate of Colonel Pulleine:

Captain Gardner
"I then returned to Colonel Pulleine, but about five minutes later I observed the mounted men retreating–there were then some 10,000 before us. The enemy continued to advance steadily, and soon enveloped our right as well as left, and completely surrounded us.
I saw all was over; our men fought well, but both Colonel Durnford and Pulleine were shot; the guns attempted to retire, but the road was occupied by the enemy; they were overturned, and all the gunners were stabbed."

Private Bickley
"About a quarter of a mile on I found a pony standing in the path which I mounted and shortly after caught up Lieutenant Melvill who was carrying the Queen's Colour. Mr. Coghill afterwards joined us and reported to the Adjutant that Colonel Pulleine had been shot."

Lieutenant Curling
"When we had gone about 400 yds., we came to a deep cut in which the guns stuck. There was, as far as I could see, only one gunner with them at this time, but they were covered with men of different corps clinging to them. The Zulus were in them at once and the drivers pulled off their horses. I then left the guns. Shortly after this I saw Lt. Coghill, who told me Col. Pulleine had been killed."

Lieutenant Higginson
"Colonel Durnford was with the Rocket Battery, with Frank M’Dowell, R.E. (a son of Dr. M’Dowell, of Dublin). They were both killed very early in the battle. Then Colonel Pulleine (was shot through the brain, and five companies 1 24th Regiment and one 2 24th Regiment, and 23 officers, were cut to pieces."

Captain Nourse

"But the sight that met my eyes was saddening. The guns, which I had thought had escaped, horses and men, were all dead, huddled in a donga. The last and most pathetic sight was about half a company of the 24th, with their Colonel mounted in their midst, assegaid, just out of reach of their bayonets." (This anecdote is partially backed by a statement in A Soldier's Life by E Durnford by Colonel Mansel and Captain Nourse).

Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 6:31 am

Hi,

Well without being master of the obvious, they can't all be right.

If you look at Nourse (N) & Curling (C) (and if you follow their time lines - or narration).

Nourse

N sees the guns, then sees about half a company of the 24th, with their Colonel mounted in their midst, assegaid, just out of reach of their bayonets.(or was the most pathetic sight seen back up towards the camp?)

This was presumably after he had passed the guns........now who was assagied – all of them, the Colonel (or the horse Joker JW).....how can you be assagied without getting within bayonet reach (throwing spears?)

How close was N to the last stand – at that distance would he recognise a officer (probably) in patrol jacket? (also a very ‘romantic idea’)

Curling

C (leaves with his command?) – guns overan, C goes on does not mention the Colonel and the boys? Why - did the Colonel pass the guns and make his stand after C but before N got there.
OK so then (shortly after leaving the guns) Coghill turns up and says to Curling the Colonel has been shot.....

Hmmmm I'm confussed......

Frank 21 degrees - I'd have my string vest and knotted hankey on at that temperature, in Blighty

Off to work to churn out custard creams for you lot......

Cheers

Sime

Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Pulleine wounded on the firing line    Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 6:39 am

Sime you can't beat a good custard cream , not as good as the Milk chocolate digestives ! , yes the Isandlwana ...he said , they said , far to confusing to make any definitive conclusion in my eyes , I decided to stop ' Translating ' many years ago , it's in the ATH ( All To Hard ) basket , I take them for what they are .... One person's account and I leave it at that .
90th
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 9:32 am

Chocolate digestives anytime. Put two back to back and dip in the coffee. Salute
Back to top Go down
crimea

crimea

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 9:36 am

Well, one things for sure.....with no definite answers and conflicting evidence this question of the fate of Pulleine will last for ever. If this was judged in a  court of law I reckon the verdict may be 'Presumed killed by person or persons unknown, whereabouts indeterminable'.

As a matter of interest, what was the 'official' Government response?
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 9:58 am

Crimea there is very little certainty on any of the issues from iSandlwana apart from it happened on a Wednesday, after that its all in the air.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 10:00 am

But if you think Pulleines death site is confusing stay away from Doc Peter Shepherd, that one will drive you nuts.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 10:05 am

Alternatively, all weekend warrior's list of sightings/accounts could be true but just misremembered in the wrong order - all part of the PTSD.
Back to top Go down
crimea

crimea

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 1:28 pm

LOL, as frustrating as it may be, sometimes its just as well to have a good mystery.

Did King Arthur really exist?
Was Robin Hood one man, or many or none at all?
Was Pulleine killed in his tent, out on the firing line or on the scree slopes?

All these things we may never know but it's good to discuss! Wink

Crimea
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 2:30 pm

It is indeed

Back to top Go down
WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 2:49 pm

Ah yes.. there is also the odd Private Parry (a bastion of truthfulness) anecdote suggesting that Pulleine's horse was shot out from underneath him. At least we've moved on from the old tale about him being killed in his tent.

If I had to make a wild guess, I'd have Pulleine shot and killed at some point after retire was sounded. Captain Parr discusses a Company of the 24th that had tried to extract themselves but were cut down west of the Neck. I'd have to say Nourse was probably mistaken and misidentified another unfortunate mounted Officer in a patrol jacket as Pulleine.
Back to top Go down
WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 2:52 pm

The problem (and appeal) of Isandlwana is that there is so little evidence regarding the final stages of the battle- and the evidence we do have is so contradictory- that any number of theories can be argued. Two can look at the same pieces of evidence and draw two entirely different conclusions.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 3:43 pm

Mike, he is under the cairns we found down on the Manzimyama. Happy to give a lot of money to anyone that can prove me wrong. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 3:53 pm

Frank Allewell wrote:
Crimea there is very little certainty on any of the issues from iSandlwana apart from it happened on a Wednesday, after that its all in the air.

Unless the Current Regime say it was a Saturday.......I go with GHB - somewhere on the way to his tent/NNIC camp and defo shot (like what Coghill said)
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 3:59 pm

interesting conversation:

South African laboratory: Hi Cyril good news we have a vacine and have sold 100 million doses to Boris

Cyril: Good news what about doses for our own people

South African Laboratory: Ahh yes was meaning to chat to you about that!

I kid you not.

( Tongue in cheek of course )
Back to top Go down
WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 4:07 pm

My money on that unfortunate mounted Officer would be placed on Mostyn! Dependent on being able to trace who found his ring and the existence of any unsurfaced family papers.

Frank Alewell, I hope we can discuss and research this further in person if I ever manage to reach SA when and if the current virus/civil unrest/insurrection dies down.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 4:20 pm

Look forward to that Mike.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 4:32 pm

Mike I noticed on your list of statements you left of GHB, freudian slip maybe? Suspect
Back to top Go down
WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior

PostSubject: Re: Pulliene wounded on the firing line?   Pulliene wounded on the firing line? EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 4:44 pm

That was an intentional slip! There are quite a few descriptions related to various potential Pulleine bodies; most I believe are on your Western Slopes thread. My intent was to showcase the survivor statements I had (all of which admittedly may have been gleaned from Coghill, save for Gardner's)
Back to top Go down

Pulliene wounded on the firing line?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next