WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyYesterday at 2:58 am by John Young

» Zulu "Corps"
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySun May 05, 2024 7:44 am by Julian Whybra

» Fairlie's Native Police
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyFri May 03, 2024 6:12 am by Hobbes

» 24th Regiment side drum a plea for help
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:11 am by General Gordon

» Francis Shirley Russell 14th Hussars
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 9:20 pm by IntCorpsMedals

» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 5:48 am by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 6:36 pm by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 4:10 am by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 8:28 pm by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 6:26 pm by SRB1965

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 5:12 am by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 11:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 1:52 am by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 2:20 am by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 2:44 am by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 12:11 am by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 7:50 pm by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 2:10 am by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 3:17 am by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 9:35 pm by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:07 am by Bongo

» Writing advice
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 1:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 3:52 am by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:20 am by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 1:34 am by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 10:05 pm by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:08 pm by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 10:05 am by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 8:16 am by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 8:16 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  Bar_leftIt's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  BarIt's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  Bar_right 
John Young
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  Bar_leftIt's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  BarIt's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  Bar_right 
Hobbes
Stefaan
General Gordon
New topics
» Zulu "Corps"
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySun May 05, 2024 3:50 am by Hobbes

» 24th Regiment side drum a plea for help
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyFri May 03, 2024 3:11 am by General Gordon

» Fairlie's Native Police
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyThu May 02, 2024 10:01 pm by Hobbes

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 12:26 am by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 4:04 pm by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 12:04 am by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 2:28 am by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 5:01 am by Hobbes

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  Empty
PostSubject: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 6:27 am

Sir Garnet Wolseley's disdain for Bromhead and Chard is well known (VC envy perhaps?) but something he also wrote in his journal was about 'the Doctor'

"The only one who behaved badly was the Doctor and reports say he was a coward"

Has anyone heard of any rumours or reports that this attack may be based on.

Presumably the Doctor is Surgeon Reynolds who was awarded the VC for his medical work under fire and for running ammo to the hospital.

Was this just more VC envy - he does say something along the lines of "I hear in their the camp"

On recording the award of The Victoria Cross to Major Chard, at Inkwenken Camp, St.Paul's Mission Station, Zululand, he wrote - "A more uninteresting or more stupid looking fellow I never saw. Wood tells me he is a most useless officer, fit for nothing. I hear in their camp also that, the man who worked hardest in defence of Rorke's Drift Post was a Commissiariat officer,who has not been rewarded at all. The only one who behaved badly was the Doctor and reports say he was a coward

Cheers

Simon
Back to top Go down
Stefaan

Stefaan

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 6:57 am

Hello Simon, the question is did he mean a medical doctor or was there another defender present who had a degree?
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 7:15 am

Hi Stefaan

I suppose he could have been referring to someone with degree but I can't think of a defender who might have had a 'doctorate' and I assumed it was a medical doctor he was referring to.

Cheers

Simon

Back to top Go down
Stefaan

Stefaan

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 8:10 am

He couldn't have meant Reynolds, could he?
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 8:40 am

No sure what he was on about - it was something that was 'reported" - which doesn't make it true of course but I believe it was referring to Reynolds......
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 9:20 am

Simon,

Wolseley’s Victoria Cross envy is of course well known.

There could be another reason why Wolseley made such a disparaging comment about Reynolds his religion.  Wolseley was an ardent Church of Ireland Protestant, and Reynolds a Roman Catholic.  Just my thoughts, but I think it could be a reason for Wolseley’s statement.

JY
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 7:05 pm

Vindictive old goat.....

For many years I always thought that Sir G lived in my home town. We had Wolseley Hall nearby (well we used to have until it was demolished, partly by my Gt Uncle Billy), I was in 'Wolseley' House at school and I used to go to the same church as the current Lord W (he's dead now but this was 20 years ago)

It was only on later life that I learnt they were the poor branch of the Wolseley's and that 'The' Lord W title had become extant (if that's the phrase)
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 8:11 pm

Simon,

There is a plaque to Garnet in Colwich, as he was a distant relative of your local Wolseleys.

JY
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyWed Nov 22, 2023 8:39 pm

Hi

Colwich Church was the ancsetoral church of the Wolseley's and Ansons from Shugborough but the previous Lord W (or his family ancestors) had at some point converted to Catholism.

Rugeley and Cannock Chase (the latter, which had largely been denuded, so where more heath like) were the location of a number of army maneuvers in the Victorian period (before the more famous WW1 camp) and we have Shooting Butt's Road, West Butt's Road and East Butt's Road on the outskirts of town - supposedly made or improved by the army.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
 The hill in the background is Etchinghill - one of my old stalking grounds....(albeit 100 years later)

Thanks

Simon
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 12:30 am

Simon,

Interesting photograph. I posted it recently and asked if anyone thought it was Fort Pearson? It was thought that it was. How odd.

JY
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 12:37 am

It might not be Etchinghill, then - I lifted the photo from Staffordshire Past Track - there's 2 or 3 photos of the Autumn Maneuvers.

TBH it does look like Rugeley but there are some 'buildings' on top of the hill - I will do some more snooping on the Internet.
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 12:59 am

Can't find a decent modern image of the hill, there has been a lot of tree growth concealing it from the road but I'm certain it is Etchinghill.

Found a couple of photos, which show shape of the hill

Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 1:48 am

This is the graphic version of the hill.

The flag pole is still there - or it was during my lifetime (there is sandstone out crop at the top of the hill)

The road heading off passed the hill would become Bower Lane.

I'm sorry to overdo it but it's the first time I can post anything with authority on his forum......

Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyThu Nov 23, 2023 6:34 pm

As a final point about this area.

My family came from a small village very near to Etchinghill, called Slitting Mill - the Marquis of Anglesey had iron smelting works along the stream - hence the name.

In a desperate attempt to find hero amongst the Brown's, I have been for many years 'doing' my family tree....

You do have to take some transcriptions of documents with 'Julianesque' caution.

Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor    It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor  EmptyMon Nov 27, 2023 2:43 am

Thanks for the eponym!
Back to top Go down

It's all Sir Garnet....except for the Doctor
Page 1 of 1