WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command. Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Service of Re - dedication of the grave of Lt Col FV Northey.
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:43 pm by Herbie

» They fell like stones
Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:11 am by 90th

» Mansel letter?
Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:13 pm by Drummer Boy 14

» Braves mens blood
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:36 pm by 90th

» The Battle of Isandlwana
Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:26 pm by xhosa2000

» redcoats with Durnford
Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:50 am by 90th

» Isandlwana Casualty - John William Jones Davies
Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:44 pm by ADMIN

» Lamaci, Natal
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:49 pm by Mike Morley

» Shepstone's last stand
Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:44 pm by xhosa2000

» Hamers 'rocketeer'
Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:27 pm by SRB1965

» Cairns east of Isandhlwana
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:48 pm by rusteze

» William Henry Orchard
Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:08 pm by Frank Allewell

» Lt Col Northey grave rededication
Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:46 pm by John Young

» Captain Charles Lacon Harvey, 71st Regiment
Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:43 pm by ADMIN

» South Africa 1877-79, 1 bar 1879 CAPT: C.W. MURRAY 61st FOOT;
Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:21 pm by ADMIN

Brev. Lt-Col. R.H. Buller, VC, Staff
Brev. Lt-Col. R.H. Buller, VC, Staff: 2/60th KRRC-Zungwini,Hlobane, Khambula, Ulundi [Mac and Shad] Isandula Collection
Anglo-Zulu War 1879 - Dr David Rattray
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
ADMIN

Frank Allewell

rusteze

xhosa2000

SRB1965

90th

John Young

Drummer Boy 14

ymob

Julian Whybra

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Captain Carey

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
sas1

PostSubject: Captain Carey   Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:07 pm

During the Zulu War of 1879, Captain Carey was given leave to accompany a reconnoitring party under the command of the Prince Imperial of France, Louis Napoleon in order to verify a survey made previously. This party was ambushed by Zulus and the Prince Imperial was killed.
Captain Carey was requested to attend a Court of Enquiry. As a result, it was recommended he be tried by Court-Martial for 'Misbehaviour before the Enemy'. The Court-Martial concluded he was guilty and that he should be cashiered from the British Army. However, there was a flaw, the members of the Court-Martial were not sworn in, and when the matter was sent to be ratified in London, this point was raised. The Assistant Judge Advocate General O'Dowd overturned the findings of the Court and Captain Carey was allowed to go free.

http://www.careyroots.com/hd1.html
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Captain Carey   Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:46 pm

Captain Carey is mentioned on the Family Grave at Brixham, Devon.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
Saul David 1879

PostSubject: Re: Captain Carey   Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:40 am

1879 Graves

If I knew Captain Carey had a mention on the familey grave I would have looked it up and took a photograph, i was in Brxham about 3 months ago.
And never knew his familey were buried there.

He had quite a sad life after the incident an S/A

Thanks for the information next time i'm down that way I will look it up.

S.D
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Captain Carey   Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:17 pm

S.D

The photo was taken over 10 years ago. Then you could just make out his Rank and Name but not alot else.
We did take some rubbings but I have forget were we have put them.
I was back in Brixham last year and had another look at the grave, but was unable to make out much. It has weathered badly. I should have taken a few more photos but did not.
If I find the rubbings I will let you know.

Looking at the named website, you will find the following:

"In loving memory of Harriet, widow of Vice Admiral Sir Jahleel Brenton Bart KCB, died 9 Jan 1868 aged 74 years. Harriet, daughter of the above, wife of A F Carey, Vicar of this parish, died 8 June 1886 aged 62 years. Sidney Pelham de Burgh Brenton Carey, died 25 July 1870 aged 10 years. Leopold Hunsdon Brenton Carey died at Falmouth, Jamaica, 12 September 1875 aged 17 years. Jahleel Brenton Carey Capt. 98th Regiment died at Karachi 22 Feb 1883 aged 35 years, sons of Reverend A F and Mrs H M Carey".

Which is on the side of the family grave, which is now unreadable on the grave.

1879Graves
Back to top Go down
Saul David 1879

PostSubject: Re: Captain Carey   Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:16 pm

1879 Graves.
Thanks for that.
You say "We did take some rubbings" Is this something you do as an interest. and have you got any other photographs of the graves relating to the AZW. The main problem is there is just no one left to take care of these graves, half the ancestors of these people don't even know the exist.
Would you mind if I saved a copy of your photograph for my private collection.

S.D
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Captain Carey   Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:03 pm

Hi S.D

I and others have been locating graves and memorials to those who took part in the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879 for many years. It is a hobby I have and do have many photographs of graves to those who took part. I used to take rubbings when the graves were hard to read and we had to develop the photo films, But now with digi cameras, I just take the pictures.
Yes you may take a copy of the photograph for your private collection. I will send you a colour copy when i an next in Brixham as I live in Devon, but I do not know when that we be.
I have to agree with you, that not may people do not know about these graves and memorials and it is a shame. It is history being lost as each year passes.

1879Graves
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Captain Carey   

Back to top Go down

Captain Carey
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENEALOGY-
Jump to: