WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

rusteze

90th

ADMIN

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Natal Hussars

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
John

PostSubject: Natal Hussars    Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:43 pm

Can't find anything on this unit. Any information appreciated.
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Natal Hussars    Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:20 am

Hi John

"The unit, then the Natal Hussars, was mobilised on 25th November, 1878, and with other Natal Mounted volunteer corps operated with the column of Colonel Pearson of the Imperial forces along the coastal road in southern Zululand. The force was engaged in the action of Inyenzane on 22nd January, 1879, and proceeded to Eshowe whence, after a few days when the news of the disaster to British arms at Isandhlwana was received, the Natal volunteers were hurried back to Natal where they were joined by the Isipingo Mounted Rifles and were employed till the end of the war guarding the Natal-Zululand border along the Tugela River. During this period the only fighting participated in was a skirmish at Middle Drift with a Zulu force endeavouring to raid into Natal but was there checked and driven back." (Anglo Boer War.com)
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Natal Hussars    Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:17 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by 1879graves on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Photobucket)
Back to top Go down
littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Natal Hussars    Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:10 pm

There's quite a few colonial regiments, we no very little about. Good to see posts relating to them being posted. agree
Back to top Go down
Rory Reynolds

PostSubject: Re: Natal Hussars    Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:26 pm

I have a 1879 clasp "Zulu" War medal to a Tr. Vlotman of the Natal Hussars. Quite apart from the dearth of information on the unit I have been very frustrated in not being able to find out much about Vlotman.

Thanks to Brett Hendey who sent me a few pages out of the late Terry Sole's (M.H.S.R.I.P.) at least I have a head start but is there any other info out there on the Hussars and or Vlotman?

Regards

Rory
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Natal Hussars    Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:29 pm

Rory, Cam Simpson is your best bet.
Back to top Go down
Rory Reynolds

PostSubject: Re: Natal Hussars    Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks Frank - then I've really hit a dead end as I have asked Cam before and he can't find him. I suspect this is a case of the surname being "corrupted" at some point.

Regards

Rory
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Natal Hussars    Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:11 pm

I don't think the name has been corrupted - Tpr. Vlotman appears on the medal roll for the Natal Hussars and the name goes back a long way to the original Dutch settlers. The earliest individual Vlotman I have found was born in Amsterdam in 1655 and died in Cape Town in 1719. By 1850 the family (families) seem to be in the Free State (Winburg?). There are a few possibles for your Trooper in the attached tree (there may of course be others given the long history of the family) but the medal roll gives no initials so it is difficult to pin him down. But I have no doubt he was a Vlotman!

Steve
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Natal Hussars    Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:45 pm

Hi

I think if memory serves from when I painted a unit up for my wargames collection, they wore dark green uniforms (almost black from a distance).

Once again, I think, the official full dress headgear was a hussar type busby but I doubt if this was used in the field and I am not sure if the headgear was just a 'nice idea' which came to little (unless I am mistaking them for another colonial unit)

The Natal Hussars merged a few years after they were raised, with the Greytown Mounted Rifles

They wore a white pith helmet, with silver fittings but the usual collection of forage caps would have been worn, as well.

Cheers

Sime (I think)
Back to top Go down
Brett Hendey

PostSubject: Re: Natal Hussars    Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:57 pm

Rory
There is a lot about the Natal Hussars in the book 'History of the Umvoti Mounted Rifles' by Mark Coghlan. It was published by the Regiment in 2012 and I got my copy from their HQ in Pinetown. Perhaps one of your ex-minions can pick up a copy for you. There is no Vlotman listed in the index, but other entries might be helpful.
Regards
Brett
Back to top Go down
1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Natal Hussars    Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:21 pm

Hi Roy

Could be a couple of leads for you?

Glasgow Herald 19 November 1898

and

Dundee Evening Telegraph 16 June 1902

You need to study mo
Back to top Go down
Rory Reynolds

PostSubject: Re: Natal Hussars    Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 pm

Many thanks chaps - I will most certainly have to source the UMR history and follow up the leads for Anthony Vlotman who seems to be the most promising.

Regards

Rory
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Natal Hussars    

Back to top Go down

Natal Hussars
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: