WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» 100,000 posts!
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:47 pm by jgregory

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

» How many started?
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:10 am by Julian Whybra

» Firing Line formation
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Jan 22, 2024 2:32 pm by Julian Whybra

» Why did Maj. Spalding have to go ?
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 9:40 pm by Stefaan

» Grape-shot at close range.
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Jan 15, 2024 7:42 am by SRB1965

» Books Hlobane & Kambula
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 10:08 am by John Young

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
What to do with your research when you have passed away. Bar_leftWhat to do with your research when you have passed away. BarWhat to do with your research when you have passed away. Bar_right 
Dash
What to do with your research when you have passed away. Bar_leftWhat to do with your research when you have passed away. BarWhat to do with your research when you have passed away. Bar_right 
Hobbes
Bill8183
ADMIN
jgregory
SRB1965
1879graves
Tig Van Milcroft
Rob Herrick
New topics
» 100,000 posts!
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 4:46 pm by Will M

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:24 am by ADMIN

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

What to do with your research when you have passed away.

Go down 
+9
John
ADMIN
rusteze
Frank Allewell
BRM123
krish
Arthur Wright
xhosa2000
1879graves
13 posters
AuthorMessage
1879graves

1879graves

What to do with your research when you have passed away. Empty
PostSubject: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi All

I know this is a morbid question but here goes.

It was brought to my attention the other day and now has me thinking.

I was asked the following question:- What are or what happens to all that research, that you have done over the last 30 odd years, when you have passed away?
I did not have an answer!

My children or Grand childern have no interest in the information I have collected over the years, I am sure they would just put it in the bin.

So my question to the forum is:- What have others planned for their work / research when they have passed this world?

Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 8:06 pm

I don't think it a morbid question, when put in the context of morbidity...
were all going one day, not of our choosing either, i do have some bits
and bob's, i have always envisioned that my bit's would be put in a
local militaria auction and then let the hammer fall where it may!.. i
would not like my thing's to become a burden on my family so i am very
relaxed about the demise of my collection, it is the natural order of
thing's.. and as i have said i would not put my family through the ordeal
of having to check the price's as they will currently stand at the time.. to
see the dealer's ' cherry pick ' the item's their interested in leaving the
bulk behind, i don't give a toss about any money, the notion that i have
had a real lifelong passion for a subject that has sustained me as no other
has for over forty year's make's me feel very lucky and satisfied. where
it all go's after i'm gone.. well i don't give a toss. Very Happy sound's to me Andy
that you need to find a young researcher who will continue your fine work.
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Jul 09, 2018 8:29 pm

xhosa2000 wrote:
sound's to me Andy
that you need to find a young researcher who will continue your fine work.

Hi Les

That is the issue I have, The information I have collected over the years has no monetary value. A museums are only interested in their own regiments, so that is a no go.

As you say Les, find a young researcher, That would be great but as we all know they are very hard to find.

I still have many years left in me yet and I might just find some young researcher willing to continue my work.

Andy
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
Arthur Wright

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jul 10, 2018 12:58 pm

In Ron Lock's case, his wife, Brenda and myself have agreed to keep his collection. At least for the time being. As I have developed quite an interest in the subject myself, I am finding it a very helpful resource towards furthering my own interests in this subject.

The nicest, to me, is if one can inspire someone else to have, or develop, an interest. However, my opinion may be biased as well as being an uneducated one.
Back to top Go down
krish

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptySun Jul 15, 2018 11:34 pm

I think that is an appropriate question, and one of the reasons all my research is written, firstly as an ebook and then into a blog. In the future people will expect an answer, and not be prepared to invest time and money towards finding an alternative solution or the true facts Then so many mistakes will be made even more than today. . Granddaughter recently spouted about Brunel. Great engineer, both of them, and didn't believe he was her g.uncle. Her interest piqued, history is more relevant if the person becomes "real". Estate planning is a necessity, people avoid it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.edurnford.blogspot.com
BRM123

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 11:24 am

Two ways you might preserve the tree parts of your research would be to place your tree online at FamilySearch, findmypast or Ancestry. The tree will survive you.
Another way is to find a society which might accept your work and place it on file for the benefit of future reearchers. Many people have used the Society of Genealogists for this purpose.
I'm rather fortunate in that my research has primarily been into my surname and ancestors and I am a member of the Guild of One-Name Studies. The Guild provides several means of preserving members' work, including now over 200 websites at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Check out my own site at margetson.one-name.net. It will remain on the Guild website long after my own demise.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 2:45 pm

Mines going with me so I can show Chelmsford the Legacy he left.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 3:15 pm

I completely understand why people want to preserve their work but I take a slightly contrary view. My real pleasure has been doing the research, making the discoveries and, sometimes, helping others along a little bit. Everything I have discovered is equally available to be found by others who are so inclined. Indeed it is now hugely more accessible than ever it was when I began. Anyone who started their family history by going to Somerset House and manhandling enormous ledgers will know what I mean. So why would I want to deprive future enthusiasts of the real pleasure of the hunt and discovering things for themselves?

Steve

PS. Frank you know where your going then!
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 5:57 pm

Its all arranged Steve...……………..
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 10:33 pm

For a large fee, you can put your research on here. I'll even post a photograph of the researcher on the anaversary of his/her death. If you sign all copy rights to me, I'll post two photographs.

90th you can be the first to sign-up.
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyMon Jul 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Hmmm.. on a slightly different tack, if any of you have any
items relating to the AZW the 1st Boer war or the 1906 poll
tax rebellion and you want to move them on then please
contact me.. and to all those i have bought from in the past
again i say thank you and let's do some more business. all
item's considered.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 12:44 am

I'll take care of John Youngs and Isandula's collection. If it helps.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: What to do with your research when you pass away    What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 3:43 am

Hi Frank
I'm sure LC will be pleased to see you initially Very Happy Very Happy , he may not be so pleased once you inform him of his Legacy ! Suspect Suspect
Hi Les
That's what we like... keep that collecting spirit alive and well ! Joker Joker agree agree agree .
Hi Pete
Yeah , I'll drop you a line ! HAHAHAHAHAHA Very Happy Very Happy .
To John and Isandula
If you have anything you may be thinking of moving on , feel free to contact me ! agree agree agree agree agree agree
90th Joker Joker
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 7:12 am

Les I picked up a couple of booklets by SB Bourquin, Gilbert Torlage and Steve Watt. One on Colenso and one on Valkraans
ISBN 0 86975 500 5 and 0 86975 517X
Not expensive and pretty interesting. I paid R40 for the two, around GBP 2.20 and at the same market stall 'Slogging over Arica' by Michael Barthorp  ISBN 0 304 36293 X for GBP 4.
Not in my field but couldn't resist buying. Happy to pass along if they are of interest, and of course you don't have them already ?

As to all my collection and more particular the files and copies of documents I have, they will all be heading to the Talana Museum in Dundee.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 7:21 am

And that leads to the thought that it would be really exciting that the abortion being built at iSandlwana was turned into an accredited well run research centre. Rather than the usual collection of dusty old shields and pollitically correct banners and posters a genuine research area that donations and bequests could be made to. hummmmmm
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 10:07 am

Frank,

On the point of that building at iSandlwana, I did make a suggestion to the person concerned that it be established as a research centre. In order to kick that off, on behalf of his family, I donated the Zulu War book collection of my late friend, Peter Renny.

I also suggested to her, that the interpretation centre follows to two routes and the visitor can initially choose whether to follow the British or the Zulu path. It is a conception that seems to work well at the Culledon Battlefield and the Apartheid Museum, whether my suggestion fell on deaf ears only time will tell.

If someone’s legacy needs to be examined, personally I think it should be that of Garnet Wolseley. The ramifications of his divide and conquer tactics echoes down the ages to this day.

JY

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 11:20 am

The possibilities are endless John, we could even teach Guggs who the Induna at iSandlwana were!
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 12:14 pm

Frank,

Now you are asking for a tad too much...

JY
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 1:50 pm

All my research on Mr Gardner (and there are still bits trickling in generated by the book being published) is being passed back to the family  and will be passed down to future generations so will not be lost.
I fear my large book collection, artifacts  and general research will be broken up and put back into the system for, as Steve put it, others to find and marvel at.

As for what happens next ..
After a long old chin wag with the Gardner's, followed by a light lunch with F.B. Russell, I would  want a word with that Clery fellow and find out what the hell he was thinking sending all those spiteful letters. Mad

Kate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 2:37 pm

Ah Clery, the poor mans David Frost !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 3:48 pm

Something else to think about Frank but probably like you, I have hundreds (possibly thousands)of photographs of the various battlefields.
With constantly changing landscape and with sites such as Isandlwana being encroached upon, such collections could be very useful for future researchers. Especially as so much is now stored on computers which can so easily be lost or made inaccessible by the obsolescence of technology.

All my photos are in albums with dates and descriptions but what will happen to them when I go.
Books have a value, artifacts more so but what of one persons photo albums?
Kate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyTue Jul 17, 2018 4:27 pm

Kate your so right. My photos date back to 1968 and taken sparingly because of the development costs. But over the last few years with the advent of digital then thousands have been taken. My back up hard drive has close to 15000 from all over Zulu land. Its why I have in the past tried to post as many as possible to the forum to try and share with everyone.
Im sure you have exactly the same feelings of nostalgia when browsing through though. If IK hadn't written Then and Now I would be very tempted to do it. I got close to it when I developed the app on iSandlwana, now that was fun.
Frank
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 9:26 am

15000 !!!! Shocked Shocked
'Cameras ... very wonderful things these sir aren't they.'
A fantastic effort Frank Salute
Now that is an archive that definitely needs saving.

Kate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 12:45 pm

Even got a couple of the RB demise area. Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 1:07 pm

Frank Allewell wrote:
Even got a couple of the RB demise area. Wink Wink

Whichever Notch, notch, incline or defile it was........ Very Happy
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 1:36 pm

I would be grateful if anybody could tell me why the exact location
of the RB's contact is such an issue?. whether it was there! or a few
metre's to the left or a bit further up the notch.. who is this person
or person's who can definitively say this is the spot!. and go
on to explain why it matter's even one jot. we know the area that
the RB came to grief and the event's that were unfolding as the
battle progressed... i believe that nobody could say one hundred per
cent that the RB was overwhelmed ' HERE we only have the
primary sources that are available and they more or less say the same,
so evidence for a definitive site must be backed up with fact and not
with conjecture or supposition..
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 1:59 pm

Les a few posts back I offered you some Boer war publications, have a look.
As you say a couple of metres here and there with the RB makes no difference but the more accurate in placing its demise becomes really important when combined with a few other issues that affected the over all battle.
Sorry to be enigmatic but there are reasons that will some time in the future be clear.
Let me know about the books.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 2:00 pm

Simon that was chucked in very tongue in cheek. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 2:50 pm

Rocket Battery??? What Rocket battery?
Is it a bit like a Duracell Battery but found in salads?
(First used successfully, I hasten to add, during the Crusades against Saladin. Hence the name.)

I'll see if I can Russell up some research to find out anything about it and will let you know.
Must dash as I need to hale a cab. Now were did I leave my mules?

Very Happy  Off Topic
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyWed Jul 18, 2018 3:24 pm

Very funny Kate. Very Happy Thank's for your kind offer Frank, i have the
Barthorpe, i have never got into the 2nd Boer war it just makes
me so very angry to think about it!. i look forward very much to
your new offering's in due course, i'm sure they will garner much
interest. but again thank's mate.
Back to top Go down
grahame_k

PostSubject: Re: What to do with your research when you have passed away.   What to do with your research when you have passed away. EmptyThu Jul 19, 2018 1:44 am

Hello to the forum,

I am one of the 'silent' members of the forum as I am the Director of Military History Research Centre (Aust.), a private company based in Canberra. I note the question asked by Les (10th July) regarding the succession of an individuals’ research before departing this mortal coil. 'What do you do with your research'... I hear that question asked by just about every private collector I have spoken to over several decades. Finding a successor is no easy task when children are no interested, and the work is specific.

One of our concerns, for many years, has been the final destiny of the hard work and expenses incurred by private collectors and researchers after we can no longer carry on our work. One of the services offered by the Research Centre is that of procurement of such collections where the owner wishes to maintain the integrity of his/her works, not only to add to our work, but, to ensure the individuals work 'in perpetuity'.

We have recently acquired further private collections, one from the USA, one from France and one from Australia, each one credited to the former owner. Should you consider the disposal of your work at some point in the future, please don't dispose of it in a manner where care and maintenance may not be a priority. I would like to make it known on the forum that there is answer to the question, but I hesitated because of our private sector profile. The advantage lies in the fact that the MHRC consists of fellow directors and shareholder, thus is supported with a succession plan and offers perpetuity.

I look forward to your comments

Grahame Kingston (history194-18)
Military History Research Centre (Aust)
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

What to do with your research when you have passed away.
Page 1 of 1