WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
»  Darkest Africa
Today at 9:33 am by John Young

» Prince Imperial Leave Request at Woolwich
Yesterday at 8:03 pm by martinusmagnus

» Lieutenant-Colonel Gerald Lionel Joseph Goff.
Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:26 pm by 90th

» R.I.P Terry Sole
Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:05 pm by nitro450

» Major Gonville Bromhead VC
Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:46 am by SRB1965

» Lt. G. Pardoe 1st Btn 13th (Somerset) Light Infantry
Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:45 am by ADMIN

» Natal Hussars
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:02 pm by Rory Reynolds

» Location of grave : Lt. F. Scott Natal Carbineers
Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:49 pm by Tim Needham

» Lieutenant Henry Lysons
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:47 pm by ADMIN

» Lt. H.Valentine Jay. Natal Native Contingent
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:44 pm by ADMIN

» Lieut & Adjutant Henry Julian Dyer
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:41 pm by ADMIN

» Lt Gonville Bromhead
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:19 pm by ADMIN

» MAJOR FRANK BROADWOOD MATTHEWS
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:15 pm by ADMIN

» Lodge Isandlwana Masonic Military Lodge
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:11 pm by Muhlenbeck

» Lt. G. Baker 3rd Btn 60th Regiment
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 pm by ADMIN

Lt. General Sir J.G. Wolseley, General Officer Commanding
Mac and Shad (Isandula Collection)
The Battlefields of Isandlwana and Rorke's Drift
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
90th

xhosa2000

Frank Allewell

SRB1965

ADMIN

Victorian Dad

Brett Hendey

rusteze

FLYNN

aussie inkosi

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Orders to laager at Isandhlwana

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Fri May 29, 2015 11:38 am

Bonjour Frederic

I came across this interesting note in the papers at the National Archives last week. This is from Glyn to Belairs dated 2/3/1879 and says it encloses statements on the events at Isandhlwana by two wagon drivers "Hans Boer and Abraham". But I cannot, so far, find the statements in this file of papers. Neither can I find any reference to those names in the literature. So is this missing evidence or can someone offer more information?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Copyright National Archives
Steve

Last edited by rusteze on Fri May 29, 2015 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Fri May 29, 2015 12:28 pm

rusteze wrote:
Bonjour Frederic

I came across this interesting note in the papers at the National Archives last week. This is from Glyn to Belairs dated 2/3/1879 and says it encloses statements on the events at Isandhlwana by two wagon drivers "Hans Boer and Abraham". But I cannot, so far, find the statements in this file of papers. Neither can I find any reference to those names in the literature. So is this missing evidence or can someone offer more information?

Steve

Steve,
I suppose you have study "England's sons" by Mr Whybra (i don't have my copy at hand).
If these men and their statements are not listed in England's sons, you have at hand the "material" for a great essay!
Wonderful!
I hope indeed that you enjoy your travels at Kew by motorway.... Wink
Cheers
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Fri May 29, 2015 1:34 pm

Frederic

Salute, I did not look in the obvious place!  Abraham appears on page 57 of Julian's work, his statement is in the National Archives in file WO 33/34. Hans Boer is a new inclusion by Julian in the latest edition, his statement is in WO 32/7713. Both escaped via Fugitives Drift - I will take a look at the reports next week.

It shows how documents on the same subject can become separated in the archives, the file I reviewed last week, which contained Glyn's note, was WO 32/7726.

Regards
Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Fri May 29, 2015 2:16 pm

Steve,
I haven't read these testimonies (Abraham and Boer)..
I am suspicious about the reality of this hypothesis (I.E:order to build a laager given by Pulleine, Durnford or others Officers).
No mention given on this subject by surviving Officers as ESSEX, GARDNER or SMITH-DORRIEN...
I rather think that there were the Zulus who moved the wagons for the transportation of loot and their wounded.
But i have a (little) doubt: Who was the "source" for the war office memorandum ( "called in the cattle and began to harness them so as to draw the wagons into a circle")?
Rumors from members of the relief column?
Testimony given by Hans Boer?
If this testimony is a new inclusion in England's sons, it probably has never been published before in a a book, maybe in a forgotten newspaper ....
So i am anxious to read it.
Cheers.
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Fri May 29, 2015 3:58 pm

Rusteze
Both Boer and Abraham's accounts are quite well-known. Don't expect anything revelatory in them!
ymob
I too am suspicious of the remark in Yorke's book - it all depends on the nature of the source.
Back to top Go down
John Young

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Fri May 29, 2015 5:58 pm

Frédéric,

Queen Victoria's journal transcribed by her daughter Princess Beatrice appear on:

I tried a quick look on the Royal Archives for any correspondence between Colonel the Hon. Frederick Stanley, the Secretary of State for War and Colonel Henry Ponsonby, Queen Victoria's Private Secretary, and nothing obvious is leaping out as yet.

John Y.
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Sun May 31, 2015 11:56 pm

John Young wrote:
Frédéric,

Queen Victoria's journal transcribed by her daughter Princess Beatrice appear on:

I tried a quick look on the Royal Archives for any correspondence between Colonel the Hon. Frederick Stanley, the Secretary of State for War and Colonel Henry Ponsonby, Queen Victoria's Private Secretary, and nothing obvious is leaping out as yet.

John Y.

Bonsoir Mr Young,
Thank you for the link, but it seems that i don't have access to "the Queen Victoria's journal" from France (only GB, USA and Canada).
I have asked a "pass" and i am waiting the answer.
Cheers
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:03 am

Payback for La Revolution Francaise!

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:38 am

Impertinent
Obviously we did not cut enough heads.
If only Admiral Nelson had been French...

Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:44 am

Blaspheme!

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:48 am

i know, but the Duke of Wellington, i can't.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:56 am

Turn up the volume.

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Very Nice melody and pictures my friend...
In France, we say: " la musique adoucit les moeurs"
Cheers
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
John

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:57 pm

Back to top Go down
rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:14 pm

Good link John. Tres evocateur Frederic.

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:02 am

Bonjour,
About the "laagering" of the camp, there is this testimony of trooper S.B. JONES (Newcastle Mounted Rifles) who was with CHELMSFORD's column the 22 January:
"Towards daylight we were ordered to trek back to Rorke's Drift [I.E: the 23 January]...Colonel Pulleine had all the wagons inspanned and it could be seen that it was his intention to form a laager, but the zulus had attacked the camp before that could be done and had killed all the oxens in their yokes...we saw where some of the 24th Regiment about 100 of them, had got behind a ridge and built up a sort of stockade of ammunition boxes. From behind that flimsy defense they had kept the Natives off until all their ammunition was finishe, and there we found them with heaps of empty cartridge cases beside each body".

Source: "The Natal Mercury", Tuesday, Jan, 22nd 1929 quoted in "The journal of the AZWRS " (Mr Young) Vol. n°2 issue n°1 p.16-19 "We saw red").

Cheers

Frédéric
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:51 pm

ymob wrote:
Bonjour,
About the "laagering" of the camp, there is this testimony of trooper S.B. JONES (Newcastle Mounted Rifles) who was with CHELMSFORD's column the 22 January:
"Towards daylight we were ordered to trek back to Rorke's Drift [I.E: the 23 January]...Colonel Pulleine had all the wagons inspanned and it could be seen that it was his intention to form a laager, but the zulus had attacked the camp before that could be done and had killed all the oxens in their yokes...we saw where some of the 24th Regiment about 100 of them, had got behind a ridge and built up a sort of stockade of ammunition boxes. From behind that flimsy defense they had kept the Natives off until all their ammunition was finishe, and there we found them with heaps of empty cartridge cases beside each body".

Source: "The Natal Mercury", Tuesday, Jan, 22nd 1929 quoted in "The journal of the AZWRS " (Mr Young) Vol. n°2 issue n°1 p.16-19 "We saw red").

Cheers

Frédéric

Just a clarification: Mr John Young was chairman of this journal.
It's not the journal with the same title by Adrian Greaves (and now Mr John Laband).
Cheers
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
ymob

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:22 am

Bonjour
Maybe the origin of the "myth" of a laager at Isandhlwana:
One anonymous member wrote on the occasion of the expedition led by Black (2/24th)
"Waggons were standing in every direction, many having been moved a considerable distance from the original position"

South Wales Daily News, 15 April 1879 "The scene at Isandula"

Cheers

Frédéric
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:45 am

I love this music, its used quite a lot with clips from Sharpe. King George commands and we obey....I also enjoy listening to La Victoire est a nous and 'Le chant de l 'oignon' I have to be honest, I can't think of many nations that march into battle singing about onions. Surprised
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:01 pm

If you like some real good powerful tub thumping music, then try Elgar's Triumphal March on full volume, bloody fantastic. agree
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:20 pm

Regarding wagons being moved about at iSandlwana, I am sure I have read that the zulu's did move some of them about and also used some to transport the booty and wounded and also some of the dead, that would account for the wagons 'standing in every direction'. If my memory serves, I am sure that I read that some of the wagons had been dumped down some of the dongas.

More good music is 'Jupiter the bringer of jollity', from the Planets suite by Gustav Holst, probably better known as 'I vow to thee my country', maybe this should be The English National Anthem, very stirring stuff, marvellous music, as is 'Land of Hope and Glory', another one that could be Englands National Anthem, well, what's left of our once great country, that I fear is now going down the drain and will soon be consigned to the history books if we don't do anything about the situation, very sad, and the sooner we are out of the awful EU the better.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:44 pm

Spot on with the music Martin, but if you really want to hear something then put on some headphones, turn the volume up and listen to Ennio Morricone The Ecstasy of Gold. The vocalist will blow your socks off. Salute [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Chard1879

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:17 am

ymob wrote:
Bonjour,

Cheers

Frédéric

Between 9-10 Brickhill ordered the waggoners to collect all the cattle.
The oxen were indeed in their yokes but they were not in spanned. This had been done prior to Durnfords arrival.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Orders to laager at Isandhlwana   

Back to top Go down

Orders to laager at Isandhlwana
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: