WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:Lt. Col. Pulleine: His Lordship is of the cetain opinion that it's far too difficult an approach to be chosen by the Zulu command.Col. Durnford: Yes, well... difficulty never deterred a Zulu commander.

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  GalleryGallery  PublicationsPublications  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
Colonel R.T. Glyn, 1/24th Regt. kwaSokhexe, Ulundi
[Mac and Shad](Isandula Collection)
Secrets Of The Dead The Mystery Of Zulu Dawn
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Top posters
90th

littlehand

Frank Allewell

ADMIN

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

John

Mr M. Cooper

1879graves

impi

rusteze

Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Top posting users this month
Drummer Boy 14

Frank Allewell

90th

rusteze

ADMIN

SRB1965

Julian Whybra

ymob

1879graves

xhosa2000

Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.

Share | 

Letter from a Private of the Royal Marines

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Petty Officer Tom

PostSubject: Letter from a Private of the Royal Marines   Mon Feb 20, 2017 4:30 pm

Seat of War, Jingolover
April 24th, 1879
Dear Father and Mother,
I now take my pen up to write to you a few lines, trusting they will find you all quite well and happy, as I am pleased to inform you that I am quite well at present.  We had a hot battle on the 2nd of this month.  We had three killed and fourteen wounded.  After the battle was over and the enemy had fled we went to count their dead, and we found 470, and the next day we found as many more.  It is estimated that the enemy lost – that is killed and wounded – 1,200, and out of the 1,200 there was 1,000 killed.  We have not seen anything of them since.  We have tomorrow to march towards the King’s capital.  We expect to have some hard fighting there, as they are a very desperate race of people, and very plucky.  Last Tuesday one of the King’s chiefs come in with eighty men and women to give themselves up, so we made prisoners of them and sent them down to Tugela, our headquarters.  There is a few women and children coming to us daily.  I expect it will last about two months.  The weather here is very hot in the day time and very cold at night, and we have been laying in trenches every night this last six weeks with only a rug and our overcoats.  Times are very hard here, I can assure you, but we cannot expect anything else in the battlefield.  I hope you will not let this letter depress you in any way, as it is God’s will that I am here to fight for my Queen and country.  Hoping it may please him to bring safe back to dear Old England, and if it not to guide me to the right path to eternal life, where I hope we all shall meet to part no more.  Dear father tell my brother Robert that the letter he sent me last September I received yesterday.  It was seven months old.  All out letters were stopped as soon as we got our orders from the Pacific for home, so we have been without letters ever since last September, till I got Robert’s yesterday.  Tell him I cannot write to him till I get back to the ship, as I have no more paper with me, but if I can manage to get any I will write again, if not you will know the reason.   If you answer you must address as follows:
Pte. John Allsopp, R.M.L.I.
Naval Brigade, Lower Tugela
Zulu Land, South Africa
So now, Dear Father and Mother, I must bid you all adieu, give my kind love to all my brothers and sisters, and accept the same yourselves from your ever affectionate son John, so good bye and God bless you all.

(Source:  The Derbyshire Times, June 7, 1879)

Petty Officer Tom
Back to top Go down
John

PostSubject: Re: Letter from a Private of the Royal Marines   Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:29 pm

Tom really liking these letters. Salute
Back to top Go down
Petty Officer Tom

PostSubject: Re: Letter from a Private of the Royal Marines   Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:21 pm

Hi John,

I'm glad that you enjoyed them.  Only two more left, which I will post soon.  Then, I will move on to Sir  Garnet Wolseley's aborted attempt to land ashore at Port Durnford.

Petty Officer Tom
Back to top Go down
90th

PostSubject: Letter from a Private of the R.M.   Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:27 am

Hi Tom
Thanks for posting the letters , much appreciated .
90th
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Letter from a Private of the Royal Marines   

Back to top Go down

Letter from a Private of the Royal Marines
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: NAVAL BRIGADE ANGLO ZULU WAR 1879-
Jump to: