"Ferreira’s Horse (1877-81). Colonel Ignatius Ferreira, CMG, raised three irregular mounted corps at Pretoria during the first occupation of the Transvaal. The first saw service against Sekukuni in June, 1878. The second, with a strength of 115, served in Wood’s column, and also took part in the capture of Sekukuni’s Mountain in 1879. The third corps was known as the Transvaal Horse, had a strength of 300, and included two 9-pr field guns. It was in action in Leribe, in Northern Basutoland, where it served until disbanded in August, 1881"