WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyToday at 5:04 pm by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyToday at 1:04 am by A Crockart

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyYesterday at 4:13 pm by robgdad

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 3:28 am by cmeghen

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:12 am by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 12:49 am by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:52 am by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 3:20 am by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 3:44 am by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 1:11 am by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 8:50 pm by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:10 am by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyThu Apr 04, 2024 3:17 am by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 9:35 pm by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:07 am by Bongo

» Writing advice
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Mar 27, 2024 1:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 11:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 3:52 am by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 1:20 am by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 1:34 am by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 10:05 pm by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:08 pm by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 10:05 am by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 8:16 am by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyThu Mar 07, 2024 8:16 am by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyMon Mar 04, 2024 6:08 am by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 11:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:39 pm by John Young

» Philip Price
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 6:55 pm by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 6:47 pm by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 7:34 am by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 9:57 pm by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 9:47 pm by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood Bar_leftWas the Buffalo River High or Flood BarWas the Buffalo River High or Flood Bar_right 
John Young
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood Bar_leftWas the Buffalo River High or Flood BarWas the Buffalo River High or Flood Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
Kenny
Petty Officer Tom
Jager1
Dash
SRB1965
1879graves
robgdad
New topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyToday at 5:04 pm by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyToday at 1:04 am by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Apr 17, 2024 3:28 am by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyMon Apr 15, 2024 6:01 am by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 6:51 am by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyMon Apr 08, 2024 7:36 am by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:47 pm by SueSNB

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:07 am by Bongo

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 10:49 pm by lydenburg

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Was the Buffalo River High or Flood

Go down 
+6
24th
90th
Chard1879
John
Frank Allewell
Dave
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Dave

Dave

Was the Buffalo River High or Flood Empty
PostSubject: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 10:34 am

Was the Buffalo River on the 22nd Jan in a state of high or Flood. I take it in high it would have been easier to across, than it would in Flood.
On the other forum a member posted a thread, that could answer how the Zulus managed to cross the river so quickly.
I can't find anything that gives an account from those in 1879 of the rivers conditions. It maybe worth taking a look at the other forum, to get a better overview of what he is trying to say. For those that have been there, it make more sense.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 12:37 pm

Hi Dave
Paul is a resident and would have good local knowledge, but having chatted with David Rattray on a number of occasions he was of the opinion that the River had to have been pretty high to have formed the very strong whirlpool lower down towards the gorge.
High but not in flood would probably be my contention.
If it was in flood and, as a lot of writers seem to contend, the banks had flooded to a 100 yards wide the existing bank on the Natal side that Melvill had trouble climbing ( Brickhill ) wouldn't have been there. There are a couple of references to the weather, and rain, on the march to iSandlwana, cant put my hand to them at present but they are there. And again the fact that the Bashee and the Manzimyama rivers were giving such difficulty in crossing would suggest that they were running strongly.
The Zulus crossed the rivers by joining there arms and rushing at the water, Samuel Wassal mentions they had an unusual way of using their arms.
This is Rorkes Drift on the 11th January a couple of years back.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

This is Fugitives Drift at the same time of year

I dont believe the impi would have had any problem crossing a flooded river, they would have done so on many occasions. And there are again references by fugitives of men being carried away down stream and of horses swirling around in the whirlpool.

As with anything relating to that period, its open to interpretation. My money was on a high river, possibly not in flood though.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 8:31 pm

Frank how deep would the river be approx, in the top photo?
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 9:30 pm

Hi John
At the actual drift, to the left of the photo, alongside the island, a horse could cross pretty well but no body on foot. If the circumstances were the same on the 22nd 1879 it would probably explain why Addendorf didn't want to cross and waited for the pont, two hundred yards to the right of shot.
Back to top Go down
Chard1879

Chard1879

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 8:21 am

Those soldiers that were washed away, where would they have ended up? If not snagged on rocks ect.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood    Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 7:13 pm

Dave from all the books I've read and people I've spoken to over the years , the Buffalo was in full spate ( flood ) , the rains of Oct & Nov 1878 were Drought breaking rains , the area had been in Drought for 10 or so years . Anyone who lives in an area affected by Drought periods will tell you that Drought breaking rains are much higher in volume than the areas normal seasonal rain .
90th
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 9:50 pm

If it was in flood, would it not have been near impossible to cross. How did Henderson get his men across before arriving at RD.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 12:26 am

The highest Ive ever seen the Mzinyathi was during the hurricane that hit the area, it wasn't that it was so high but the speed it flowed was awesum. Way back then the concrete bridge and road to iSandlwana didn't exist and to get to iSandlwana by car involved a long round about trip to Dundee and then down to Nqutu before venturing over the Ngwebini stream onto the iSandlwana road. My car got washed of the crossing by the speed of the 'small' stream so you can imagine the water force going down the rivers. But that was a full on hurricane. 22nd January 1879 wasn't in that class.
There were one or two mentions of the rain and marching through plus of course the stories of the hell that the men at Helpmakaar had to endure. But there are also a few key elements from the survivors that could give a lead to the conditions.
Brickhill mentions seeing Gamble tottering about amongst the rocks of the Manzimyama on his way down the trail. If it was really such a 'high tide' those rocks would have been covered. Theres no mention by any of the fugitives of having to cross any sort of deep or fast flowing stream before hitting the drift itself.
I saw the fugitives drift at the time of the hurricane, that's the time that the 'coffin' rock was reputably moved. It was hellishly fast but not significantly broader. From a normal level there is a fair sized bank before the flat plain, Ive always assumed that was the bank that gave Melvill the problems in getting out of the river, Brickhill again. If the river had indeed burst its banks then the plain would have been pretty much underwater and that, or any, bank would not have played its part.
So yes comes back to the point, flood or high? I don't think it made that much difference to the flow rate, it was bloody quick !
24th in answer to your question, at Rorkes Drift there is an island/sand bank in the middle of the river, stands well out of the water even at 'high tide' from one bank to swim from upstream diagonal to the island, rest the horse, then repeat is not difficult. Ive done that. Trying to cross on foot is not a task to do lightly, that's why the NNC crossed downstream a bit. The river had to be strong enough to deter Adendorff however, he left Henderson and opted to ride upstream to get to the ponts.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 5:29 am

"I then came to Fugitives' Drift, the descent to which was almost a precipice. I found there a man in a red coat badly assegaied in the arm, unable to move. He was, I believe, a mounted infantryman of the 24th, named Macdonald, but of his name I cannot be sure. I managed to make a tourniquet with a handkerchief to stop the bleeding, and got him half-way down, when a shout from behind said, " Get on, man; the Zulus are on top of you." I turned round and saw Major Smith, R.A., who was commanding the section of guns, as white as a sheet and bleeding profusely ; and in a second we were surrounded, and assegais accounted for poor Smith, my wounded M.L friend, and my horse.

With help of my revolver and a wild jump down the rocks I found myself in the Buffalo River, which was in flood and eighty yards broad. I was carried away, but luckily got hold of the tail of a loose horse, which towed me across to the other bank, but I was too exhausted to stick to him. Up this bank were swarming friendly natives, but I only saw one European, a Colonial and Acting Commissariat Officer named Hamer, lying there unable to move. I managed to catch a loose horse, and put him on it, and he escaped. The Zulus were pouring in a very heavy fire from the opposite bank and dropped several friendly natives as we climbed to the top. No sooner had I achieved this than I saw that a lot of Zulus had crossed higher up and were running to cut me off. This drove me off to my left, but twenty of them still pursued for about three miles, and I managed to keep them off with my revolver."

Extract MOFYS Smith-Dorrien
Back to top Go down
Ray63

Ray63

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 7:31 am

Same applies I guess, some make it, some don't!
Back to top Go down
Paul Lamberth

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 8:24 pm

I was somewhat surprised to see this question appear on this forum (had to join up so as to respond) as it was originally posted on another. None the less reading comments submitted there is no circumstantial evidence or record that the river was in "flood" it was simply at normal levels at that point in time. I am of the opinion that its state was somewhat exaggerated by certain individuals who found themselves in a rather precariouse position...almost a kind of coverup so as not to be shot or wrongly accused of desertion.
ps Smith Doriens account has a slight challenge in so much it is believed that Smith did not make it to the river.
Back to top Go down
barry

barry

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 2:05 am

Hi  Paul,
You make a very interesting and valid observation.
If the Mzinyathi river was in full flood it would have been more than 80m wide at Sontondose's Drift. Full flood meaning overflowing the banks.
I don't recall any accounts of survivors describing difficulties getting to the banks because of water, which then suggests that the river WAS in spate. Spate meaning river level raised and flowing very strongly.
One simple pointer that tells me that the river was not in flood at the time  was the finding, by the NMP  during the Princess Eugenie visit to Isandlwana battlefield in Jun-Jul 1880, the unburied bodies of a horse and rider, both long dead. These were found  on the river bank at the foot of one of the cliffs  near SD's pool. The two had jumped off that cliff to escape the pursuing Zulu's during the battle and had not survived the fall.
The NMP Royal Escort detail buried the remains of rider and horse in situ, in the river sand on the bank of the river at the foot of the cliff. If there had been flood conditions at the time of the jump, the remains of horse and rider would have been quickly swept away down river and there would have been absolutely nothing to find there 19 months later.
Others have questioned the integrity of much of what Smith Dorien had to say about the battle. I tend too to treat much of his account with a lot of scepticism. So, if  SD got one thing wrong it opens up questions on a lot more. I think he knew very well how to sing the corporate song, just as long as Thesiger was alive, as his career could have been on the line if he did otherwise, ie not toeing the "official" line. His story seemed to change after the demise of the latter however.

regards

barry

PS : How SD managed to escape the battle field and then fight off 20 pursuing  Zulus on the south bank of the river
with only 11 rounds for his Adams reminds one of the cowboy movies where there never seems to be the need to reload. Utter BS in my mind.
Back to top Go down
Paul Lamberth

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 6:19 pm

Thanks Barry...you have added another point(s) that confirms my theory. What is also interesting is that although very few get out alive and that certain events are based on myth one can still deduct fact from logic and make statements that hold...in this case the river was not in flood. In my research I found that there was more evidence that pointed towards the fact that the river was in good spate as apposed to it being in flood. It is interesting how very little and even somewhat questionable evidence leeds to a conclusion that is certainly not correct. So to end this debate W.W.Lloyd's sketch of the crossing (Illustrated London News 29 March 1879) should be understood and accepted as such. However, this is also a good example how certain aspects can be misleading yet at the same time can be correct.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 6:49 pm

For the benefit of the forum
The so called Smith Dorrien Pool and the sand bank refered to by Barry as containing a grave
The same area during the dry months
Looking down stream from the same point, the bank on the right is the area where Melville was unhorsed
I will post later photos showing the river flowing strongly. The bank was a key element, Brickhill and others mention it, if the river was 'flooded' that bank would not exist. From that point of view I agree with Paul and Barry, to extend that into the realms of cover ups, avoidance of court martials etc is a bit beyond the pale though. But very happy to have that explained to me?
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 8:48 pm

There is of course the other point that in the river flowing strongly it could/would back up into the small stream bed on the Zulu side, that would increase the surface area of water without breaching the river bank. When the river flows strongly it also 'floods' into the area around the Blacks Sangar. That would also tend to increase the width of the river. I have a photo of that occurring will try and post.

Regards
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 8:53 pm

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Was the Buffalo River High or Flood   Was the Buffalo River High or Flood EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 7:35 pm

Hi Paul
Im belatedly just picked up on the following comment you made:
"ps Smith Doriens account has a slight challenge in so much it is believed that Smith did not make it to the river."
Could you elaborate on that statement? I would be really interested as to who is challenging Smith Doriens account of Smiths demise.

Regards
Back to top Go down

Was the Buffalo River High or Flood
Page 1 of 1