WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Zulu Dawn:Col Crealock. “Excuse me, my Lord, there's something I must convey to you. I rode along the track down to Rorke's Drift. The sky above is red with fire. Your orders my Lord? Do we move to the drift?”

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Colonel W. P. Collingwood
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyYesterday at 10:50 pm by John Young

» (Lieut: R. F. Westmacott. 77th. Foot.)
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyTue Jun 22, 2021 10:35 pm by ADMIN

» HARRY WILLIAM DAVIS,
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyMon Jun 21, 2021 6:49 am by aussie inkosi

» 90th foot sgt T. Collins 214
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 2:23 am by 90th

» Civilian Surgeon W.J. Cobbin
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 18, 2021 4:00 am by Frank Allewell

» Midshipman Coker photo
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyThu Jun 17, 2021 8:40 pm by ADMIN

» Battle of Rorke's Drift memorabilia
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyTue Jun 15, 2021 12:35 pm by John Young

» Lost Fortifications
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 4:51 pm by Richie Rich

» Isolated Graves in Zululand
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 4:48 pm by Richie Rich

» Melvill and Coghill Victoria Cross query
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 5:52 pm by Kenny

» Isandlwana Bugle
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 2:53 pm by Richie Rich

» Lambert, James Drummond (1835 - 3/3/1905)
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyWed Jun 09, 2021 7:26 am by John Young

» Time capsule back to the sphinx mountain
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyTue Jun 08, 2021 3:25 pm by timothylrose

» Prince Imperial visited
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyTue Jun 08, 2021 1:43 pm by Richie Rich

» Edward Provis Wickham Acting Transport Officer during the Zulu War
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 3:36 pm by ADMIN

» Lieutenant G. D. Hayward, Frontier Light Horse
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 3:26 pm by ADMIN

» 1042. Drumr. E. Allam. 57th. Foot.
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 3:03 pm by ADMIN

» Qr. Mr. Sergt. T. Leitch, 1/24th Foot
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 2:33 pm by ADMIN

» 422 Pte. J. Venning. late 1/13th Foot)
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 2:27 pm by ADMIN

» Trumpeter J. J. Horne, Newcastle Mounted Rifles
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 2:04 pm by ADMIN

» Trooper H. Smith NMP Suicide, 27th February, Helpmakaar.
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 12:50 pm by ADMIN

» Troopers E & W Tarboton, Natal Carbineers - Isandlwana
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 04, 2021 12:36 pm by gardner1879

» 36/1434 Pte. J. Hurley, 1/13th Foot
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 5:04 pm by gardner1879

» 389 Pte. J. Chatterton, 1/24th Foot,
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 4:59 pm by gardner1879

» 1509 Pte. C. Mullin, 1/24th Foot,
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 4:51 pm by gardner1879

» Melvill's Revolver Cylinder
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 4:17 pm by WeekendWarrior

» Other Ranks Foreign Service Frock
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyWed Jun 02, 2021 3:00 pm by bllusc

» Videttes flags and signalling
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyMon May 31, 2021 8:21 pm by gardner1879

»  P. C. Van Niekerk B/3rd Cape Yeo.
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyMon May 31, 2021 3:33 am by nitro450

» The engraved narrative is dense with detail, showing British soldiers marching and sprawled dead on the ground
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri May 28, 2021 6:34 pm by ADMIN

» 24th Regiment Pioneers
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyTue May 25, 2021 8:30 pm by WeekendWarrior

» Ian Knight Questions and answers
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyTue May 25, 2021 8:52 am by Frank Allewell

» 2nd Lieut. S. Strong 90th MID for Khambula
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyTue May 25, 2021 8:01 am by 90th

» Word Search Brain Training. All to do with Zulu War. 34 words to find.
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyMon May 24, 2021 8:16 pm by ADMIN

» Stevenson's Horse 1879 medal
Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptySat May 22, 2021 2:20 pm by blind pew

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Col Sgt Frank Bourne DCM
Top posters
90th
Isolated Graves in Zululand Bar_leftIsolated Graves in Zululand BarIsolated Graves in Zululand Bar_right 
Frank Allewell
Isolated Graves in Zululand Bar_leftIsolated Graves in Zululand BarIsolated Graves in Zululand Bar_right 
littlehand
ADMIN
1879graves
rusteze
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
John
Mr M. Cooper
Julian Whybra
Top posting users this month
Richie Rich
ADMIN
gardner1879
90th
John Young
Frank Allewell
Kenny
1879graves
aussie inkosi
blind pew
Most active topics
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.1
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
The missing five hours.
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Adding to the Library
The ammunition question
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
Durnford was he capable.5
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Keywords
taylor Franklin Woolfryes George 24th horse Durnford martini Police carbineers Mounted zulu smith Natal melvill harford drift john spalding Prince Forbes james Isandlwana payne henry Russell

Isolated Graves in Zululand

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Richie Rich

Richie Rich

Isolated Graves in Zululand Empty
PostSubject: Isolated Graves in Zululand   Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 7:57 am

After exploring the remains of Fort Newdigate, our party of Zulu War enthusiasts were led to the three nearby isolated graves located just off the gravel road. Although overgrown, neglected and rather marshy, the faithful few managed to approach and locate the graves. Unfortunately, only one is still officially identifiable, that being to Lt. Frederick John Cokayne Frith of the 17th Lancers. Frith was shot through the heart during a skirmish on 5th June 1879 near the Upoko River. His burial was attended by Lord Chelmsford and General Newdigate himself. As he was present with Frith when shot, I am also certain that my favourite character from the campaign - Colonel Drury Lowe (at this time still in his saddle...no cheek intended) was also at the grave side. There is one reference I found where it mentions that another two troopers were killed in the same skirmish and buried alongside Frith, but general consensus suggests otherwise and the two other graves alongside Frith remain unknown with some banter previously on this forum suggesting that they were probably stationed at Fort Newdigate and died from disease. Regardless, I hope that one day soon I can return to their graves and take some time to clean up and pay homage and respect to these poor souls lying remote on the pleins of Zululand.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: Isolated Graves in Zululand   Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 3:02 pm

Richie Rich,

Frith was the only person killed in action during the skirmish of 5th June 1879, so it rather casts doubt on the reference that you have discovered. Do you have the source of the reference?

JY
Back to top Go down
Richie Rich

Richie Rich

PostSubject: Re: Isolated Graves in Zululand   Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 3:55 pm

I seem to recall it was on a previous post on this forum sometime back....where the poster referred to a Pte. Edward D. McToy and his delightful history of the 13th Regiment in South Africa 1877/1879 where it mentions that two troopers were killed with Lt. Frith. The poster did suggest that the recording was probably erroneous but nevertheless referred to the observations made by this Pte. McToy.
Back to top Go down
Richie Rich

Richie Rich

PostSubject: Re: Isolated Graves in Zululand   Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 3:59 pm

There seems to be so many different versions of events here. I was just searching this forum and see that on 25/03/2019 the following information refers to Frith which here again, goes against my source of information and I quote: "A little more about the activities on 27/05/1880; On that day Wood and Princess Eugenie's entourage were visiting Fort Newdigate , there to place a wreath and plant poppy seeds on the grave of Lt Frith, 17th Lancers, who by all accounts had been shot by his own men". - Unquote. As to where the truth lies.....??
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: Isolated Graves in Zululand   Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptyFri Jun 11, 2021 5:50 pm

Richie Rich,

I been digging through my sources, McToy on page 70 does indeed state...killing Lieutenant and Adjutant Frith, two troopers, 17th Lancers, and a number of horses, and wounding several...

The London Gazette records Frith’s death see: https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/24745/page/4586

On the night of 6th June 1879 there was the alarm and subsequent “friendly-fire” incident on the site were Fort Newdigate would be built.  

Miles Gissop of the 17th Lancers records in his journal - which published in the Journal of the Society of Army Historical Research Volume 58, No. 234, both of those events.  In the case of the latter episode he records that a Sergeant of the Royal Engineers, was mortally wounded.  I have tried to find a cross-reference to that but as yet to no avail.

If that is the case it might account for one of the graves at least.

JY
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Isolated Graves in Zululand   Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptySat Jun 12, 2021 7:06 am

What I find so superb is that tours through the battlefields are again taking place. I think I can honestly state that that a couple of Aussies and certainly a pair of young ladies from the the Uk are pretty jealous right now. I know I am. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Isolated Graves in Zululand    Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 2:55 am

Frank you've got that right , what are the case numbers in KZN ? . When I'm over next it'll be for 2 months , Kate is coming with me , she also can't wait to get back ! .
90th
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Isolated Graves in Zululand   Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 11:12 am

We are into the 3rd wave Gary, nationally its around 8000 a day infections, mostly TVL and the Cape but Natal is going to catch up quickly. The inoculation is not progressing as well as it should so its a dead slow and stop situation. My wife has just been told she can get her jab on tuesday, small problem is she has been told to go to the Sandon centre, centre of JHB, rather a long way from Cape Town. Shocked Needles to say her reaction was interesting to listen to.
But still brilliant to know that there are tours gong ahead.
Back to top Go down
Richie Rich

Richie Rich

PostSubject: Re: Isolated Graves in Zululand   Isolated Graves in Zululand EmptySun Jun 13, 2021 4:48 pm

Thanks John.....appreciate that support....phew.....thought I was going to be in trouble there LOL....but yes, I guess the mystery will continue and perhaps we will never know. Just viewing the covid comments above....Pat Rundgren has organized a small sortie beginning of July - up to Ntombi Drift. I have never been there so really looking forward to visiting that battlefield and applicable cemeteries. I will definitely upload some pics on my return and comment accordingly.
Back to top Go down

Isolated Graves in Zululand
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: ZULU WAR BATTLES-
Jump to: