WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Quote:Lieutenant John Chard: The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day. Lieutenant Gonville Bromhead: Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast..

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Best book on colonial soldiers during zulu war
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyToday at 3:39 am by 90th

» Royal Small Arms Repair Factory - Pimlico / Mill Bank , London
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyWed May 18, 2022 2:04 pm by MPS1

» Deafness linked to the effects of battle
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyMon May 16, 2022 1:56 pm by Younghusband

» Brevet Major Walter Parke Jones, R. E.
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptySun May 15, 2022 7:29 pm by ADMIN

» Zulu campfires
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptySun May 08, 2022 11:28 am by John Young

» Stations of Regiments mid 1870's (UK)
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptySun May 08, 2022 11:26 am by John Young

» Nevill Coghill's nephew
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 29, 2022 10:09 am by Julian Whybra

» Uniform - Natal Circa 1895?
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 24, 2022 11:44 am by Rory Reynolds

» Isandlwana solving the enigma
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 2:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» John Wyndon Lyon
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2022 6:38 pm by Julian Whybra

» No. 1488 Color Sergeant A. Spalding
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 19, 2022 9:35 pm by John Young

» Pin pointing an ASC man's war
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 12:55 pm by Rory Reynolds

» Trooper David Doig, father-in-law Trooper Robert Adams
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2022 3:42 pm by Julian Whybra

» Pte 922 George Edwards (Alias Orchard) and Pte 2744 Charles Moore
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2022 7:47 pm by 1879graves

» 4709 Gunner Ernest Jones N/5 R.A.
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2022 12:33 pm by Woolwich

» Frederick Montague 83728 RN HMS Boadicea 1879 (Missing 1914/15 Star and Victory Medal)
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2022 11:48 pm by OC1

» Updated List of Royal Navy Medals Known to Exist
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2022 8:31 pm by Petty Officer Tom

» The Mystery of the Missing Mainwaring Material
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2022 5:03 pm by WeekendWarrior

» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2022 6:54 pm by Kenny

» Help Please
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 31, 2022 6:01 pm by John Young

» James Hamer testimony concerning time and distance
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 30, 2022 11:56 pm by aussie inkosi

» Barker and the Rocket Battery
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2022 12:15 pm by Frank Allewell

» Renamed medals?
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 28, 2022 6:40 am by 90th

» S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 26, 2022 7:47 am by Brett Hendey

» Seeking Primary Sources
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 8:46 am by aussie inkosi

» Dead Was Everything: Studies in the Anglo-Zulu War. Keith Smith
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 7:21 am by aussie inkosi

» Pte H Brown 6th Lanc Fus
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 20, 2022 11:11 pm by Sturgy

» ‘Isandula Mountain, Zululand’
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2022 11:43 am by Julian Whybra

» Private MJ Flood 57th Foot
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 14, 2022 7:25 pm by Alfie

» Richie's new Zulu War model figure project - cast your vote now
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 13, 2022 11:06 pm by PhilJ

» Natal Witness 'mystery' death notice
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 13, 2022 9:29 am by Julian Whybra

» Sapper M Leahy RE
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 12, 2022 12:08 am by Sturgy

» Corporal J Quail 1/13th Foot
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2022 11:11 am by Sturgy

» Sergeant Major Dan Scott
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 10, 2022 10:15 am by aussie inkosi

» 4 'Allens' in the casualty roll listed as having died at Isandlwana.
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 09, 2022 11:04 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
The Battle of Isandlwana: From above
Top posters
90th
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 Bar_leftIsandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 BarIsandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 Bar_right 
Frank Allewell
Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 Bar_leftIsandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 BarIsandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 Bar_right 
littlehand
ADMIN
1879graves
rusteze
Julian Whybra
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
John
Mr M. Cooper
Top posting users this month
John Young
ciroferrara
Frank Allewell
90th
Herbie
Bill8183
Younghusband
MPS1
Isandula
Kenny
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
The missing five hours.
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Adding to the Library
The ammunition question
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
Durnford was he capable.5
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Keywords
George spalding payne zulu james Natal Woolfryes brown carbineers Police Durnford henry smith taylor horse Russell harford Prince Mounted Isandlwana Franklin william martini drift john 24th

Isandlwana solving the enigma

Go down 
+14
mel1879
WeekendWarrior
John Young
Danny1960
Drummer Boy 14
Bill8183
BigPaulie
aussie inkosi
timothylrose
gardner1879
Julian Whybra
ADMIN
90th
Frank Allewell
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
aussie inkosi

aussie inkosi

Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2022 8:59 pm

Hi Frank

Well your book is full of maps, photos, and testimony's which I love, but you have concluded the discovery took place in the historical location I would have loved some hard proof so I can follow up on it, I agree with the location of the rocket battery and the vast majority of the rest.  But I would love to say your dedication to the battle and the study of it is unsurpassed, good work mate.

I really love the 90 plus pages of testimony's their is no other book with such an extensive range of eye witness points of views.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2022 9:29 pm

Thanks Inky
The discovery is a whole new ballgame the level of speculation ( I know your going to REALLY disagree ) is huge in trying to pin that down. We both have our suspicions but proving it to any degree is currently beyond our reach. Ron and Pete have tried and produced an outstanding thesis but still the prophets of doom cast doubt.
In terms of the testimony's Ive only published those that I have quoted from. Just wait till you see the two volumes coming from Mike and Neil, literally 100's.
Those books are going to blow your mind.

Cheers Mate
Back to top Go down
WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2022 9:38 pm

Frank, thanks for the shout out! Aussie, I think you'll be quite excited to see what we've produced. I'm notoriously bad at responding to emails but if you need any specific accounts, please feel free to badger me and I'll send them your way!

Back to top Go down
aussie inkosi

aussie inkosi

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 20, 2022 10:37 pm

Mike
When will your 2 volumes be on the market ? thanks for your offer I will email you with some names, I am hoping to have my website online by the end of the year trying to get permission to publish some works are proving to be a headache.

Frank
There should be no speculation when I began my research 3 years ago I was hoping to find clear eyewitness testimony which I believe I have the issue is people will always question it as goes with  interpretation and some clear errors in some testimony's.

The reason prophets of doom cast doubt is because its in all our nature to protect our conclusions, but fair understanding of the testimony  should prove itself and when it confirms it, several times over again then doubt should be removed.

In my opinion The Missing five Hours is a masterpiece which credit is due its just missing a few links which will shortly be solved. Well then its up to those to interpret in the way they wish but eyewitness testimony should be the highest standard one should reach to be excepted by the experts and by the lay.
Back to top Go down
lfmcgee4

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2022 4:34 am

First post… but I couldn’t resist after I just received a copy in the US.  The book looks amazing.  Thank you Frank for all of your hard work putting this together.  
Lee
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2022 8:11 am

AUSSIE
Here's the thing...
"clear eye-witness testimony" is of its nature CLEAR. If it is open to interpretation then it is not clear and cannot be used to establish the truth
and
"clear errors in testimonies" have to be proven beyond doubt in order to become accepted as erroneous
and
"fair understanding" does not constitute proof and certainly does not provide "confirmation" of suggested events or reasoning.
and
The Missing Five Hours whilst it can be applauded in some areas, it cannot be in others through its inconsistencies, selective use of evidence, and misquotations. As such it is flawed as an historical work and does not constitute "a masterpiece".
Back to top Go down
aussie inkosi

aussie inkosi

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2022 11:47 am

Julian

You and I believe in the same location of the discovery the only thing we differ is the location of Barkers discovery your half way there, the other half will take a little longer.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2022 11:51 am

AUSSIE
I don't know if there's an emoji for a wry smile. If there is 'X' marks the spot.
X
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2022 4:09 pm

Hi Lee. Hope you enjoy. Always happy to answer any questions. My e mail address is right up front if you would prefer.
Ive been told that there is to much speculation, but surely most modern works are to a degree speculative. Its really why Ive said in the introduction that the solutions I offer will not satisfy everyone but will promote some discussion.
Julian
I do admire Ron and Pete in putting together TMFHT. Again, speculative to a large degree and yes there are different ways to interpret what they have quoted but look at the huge amount of discussion and exchanges that have taken place because of it. Its really for having the courage to step outside the box that I do applaud them both. Heck David Jackson did exactly the same with his initial 'Sources'. And yes it was brilliantly backed up but it went against convention at the time.
Aussie
C'mon mate youve been playing with that web site for long enough, we were talking about it in Rorkes Drift at the 140th visit, time to get it out.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 21, 2022 6:37 pm

Frank
Missing Five Hours - admirable yes, ambitious, yes, laudable, yes, but right?
Back to top Go down
aussie inkosi

aussie inkosi

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 8:39 am

Frank

Taking the photos does not take much time but the research took me forever, I tried to back all my findings with eyewitness testimony, even by doing that people will still question it, I am not to much worried what people may say, when I first emailed you my findings I said then I know I am right and I look at other possibilities nothing made sense until I found that hill.  In all the books of Isandlwana I have read very few if any mentions in detail Barkers find none has even located the hill, I remember asking you years back, I know deep down where the Zulu where discovered and can back it up.

Julian   but right ?  YES they found maps not fakes that locate the discovery why it took 130 years to find I do not know. The Location on those Maps you agree with that was the main point of the thesis.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 8:55 am

AUSSIE
True, they did find the additional maps but that was not the main point of the essay.
Surely that was the notion of the supposed Zulu decoy.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 9:17 am

Hi Julian
I would agree about the 'enticement' section but the army location is a different aspect. INKI and I have very similar ideas as to that.
What is of interest is when we did our ground survey nothing was found on the ridge at Mabaso. Our first lot of hits were some distance south of the main road,22 seperate pings. It does of course mean little as between there and the base of Mabaso a lot of road works and farming has taken place over the years. But climbing up Mabaso again nothing other than the residue of Coke cans etc.
Draw from that what you will.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 9:39 am

In mine and David's 'Durnford Papers essay' (1990) we made the point that the 'X' is very much the location from where the Zulus were first seen rather than where the Zulus were first found to be. I'm sure that's valid, don't you think? When Ron found the additional maps we exchanged long e-mails with one another discussing the variance between a vaguish point marked on a map and the actual location on the ground and the meaning of the 'X' and he was also of that opinion.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 9:56 am

And the Hamer map endorses that.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 10:21 am

agree Salute
Back to top Go down
aussie inkosi

aussie inkosi

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 12:13 pm

Julian

The decoy yes TMFH implies Chelmsford was decoyed out but as you know through my research I have concluded it was Durnford, frankly it was only by accident the Zulu knew the British were at Mangeni if it was true that Chelmsford was decoyed out they would have placed scouts all along the high ground to give them early warning.  It was the sound of gunfire coming from Mangeni that alarmed the Zulu that the British divided and that happened sometime after 7am over 3 hours after Chelmsford left the camp.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Isandlwana solving the enigma   Isandlwana solving the enigma - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 22, 2022 2:48 pm

Aussie
We have been discussing the 'masterpiece' epithet which you applied to L&Q's work and asserted was the main point of their essay.
1.  L&Q's main thrust was in fact the Chelmsford decoy which we know was wrong.
2.  By finding the additional maps L&Q also reinforced the X on the Chatham maps in the Durnford Papers but this was not the main point behind their essay.

As a separate matter your last post suggests that the Zulus decoyed Durnford, not Chelmsford, which as you know I utterly reject for the reasons given in our private e-mailing.  This is not something it would be fair to go into now as (a) it has nothing to do with this thread and (b) you have not had a chance to pursue all the sources, put all your thoughts in order, and place them in the public domain.
Back to top Go down

Isandlwana solving the enigma
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3