WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu. Lieutenant John Chard: The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day. Bromhead: Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» The Pictorial World - March 15th 1879
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyYesterday at 1:13 pm by ben2000

» The lost diary of Pvt James Owen
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2024 12:03 pm by miklew

» Last of the 24th at Isandhlwana
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2024 6:16 pm by John Young

» What was the uniform of field marshals/generals in the zulu war?
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 22, 2024 6:53 am by John Young

» Henderson and the NNH at Rorke's Drift
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptySat Jul 20, 2024 12:17 pm by SRB1965

» Capt. D. Hayes 1/3rd Regt., NNC
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 18, 2024 11:11 am by Julian Whybra

» The Wrecked Camp
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2024 4:33 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private N/N John Robert Branch 90th Regiment and his discovered diary
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2024 8:53 pm by 1879graves

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 12:06 pm by 1879graves

» 90th foot sgt T. Collins 214
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 10:57 am by johnman

» Baron Von Steitencron
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 10, 2024 3:10 pm by Julian Whybra

» Sgt Joseph Windridge, Defender of Rorke's Drift - Memorial
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 09, 2024 3:15 am by 90th

» Writing advice
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 4:04 pm by Julian Whybra

» South Africa 1877-79, 1 clasp, 1877-8-9 (4389 Fr. Sergt. S. Smith. O/2. Bde. R.A.)
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 9:30 am by rai

» The trashing of the Zulu monument to the brave warriors at Isandlawana March 12, 2024 has been blamed on scrap metal scavengers.
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:41 pm by ADMIN

» The Goodwill Zulu Festival: Celebrating the Welsh and KwaZulu Natal Shared Heritage.
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:27 pm by ADMIN

» Any nominal role of G Coy 2/24th regiment
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 11:18 am by Wayne

» Bassage Diary
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 9:31 am by Julian Whybra

» Prior to Sihayo's Kraal
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 9:19 am by 90th

» British Fort Locations
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 3:40 am by 90th

» Sergeant 1064 Tom Hick / Hicks G Company 2/24th Regiment
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 03, 2024 11:05 am by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 28, 2024 2:31 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» Private 25B/279 Henry Sears Bugler E Company 24th Reg. KIA Isandlwana
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 27, 2024 1:07 pm by gardner1879

» Hamilton Browne's birthday
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2024 9:22 am by Julian Whybra

» Zulu "Corps"
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2024 6:01 pm by Hobbes

» Army Pay Department Personnel
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2024 11:49 am by Julian Whybra

» Ntshingwayo birth date
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 16, 2024 11:37 am by Hobbes

» Zibhebhu and Cetshwayo's family
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2024 9:11 pm by Julian Whybra

» Smith's Store/Hotel
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyWed Jun 05, 2024 6:06 pm by Julian Whybra

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 04, 2024 5:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Shaka iLembe
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 01, 2024 1:27 pm by Jon84

» Bugler 1415 Thomas Finn / Flin 90th Regiment
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptySat May 25, 2024 11:28 am by johnman

» Inspector-General Evelyn Richard Hugh Pollard
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyTue May 14, 2024 10:13 am by ADMIN

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptySat May 11, 2024 8:01 am by Julian Whybra

» Fairlie's Native Police
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 9:12 pm by Hobbes

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 Bar_leftDurnfords retreat. - Page 6 BarDurnfords retreat. - Page 6 Bar_right 
Branchjr
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 Bar_leftDurnfords retreat. - Page 6 BarDurnfords retreat. - Page 6 Bar_right 
1879graves
90th
SRB1965
John Young
paulhellier
Hobbes
johnman
ADMIN
New topics
» The Pictorial World - March 15th 1879
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyYesterday at 1:13 pm by ben2000

» The lost diary of Pvt James Owen
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 25, 2024 12:03 pm by miklew

» Last of the 24th at Isandhlwana
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 24, 2024 5:53 pm by miklew

» What was the uniform of field marshals/generals in the zulu war?
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 21, 2024 12:30 pm by darthvaix

» Henderson and the NNH at Rorke's Drift
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 19, 2024 1:29 pm by SRB1965

» Capt. D. Hayes 1/3rd Regt., NNC
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2024 10:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» The Wrecked Camp
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 8:51 am by 61MECH

» The trashing of the Zulu monument to the brave warriors at Isandlawana March 12, 2024 has been blamed on scrap metal scavengers.
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:41 pm by ADMIN

» The Goodwill Zulu Festival: Celebrating the Welsh and KwaZulu Natal Shared Heritage.
Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:27 pm by ADMIN

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Durnfords retreat.

Go down 
+13
Ray63
barry
90th
Mr M. Cooper
impi
Chard1879
littlehand
ymob
John Young
rusteze
xhosa2000
eaton
Frank Allewell
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
rusteze

rusteze

Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 6:49 pm

I must say I warm to Durnford much more than I warm to Chelmsford. In particular I think the grit and perseverance he showed in 1873 was remarkable even though the result did not endear him to colonial society. In 1878/79 his greatest achievement, in my view, was to create the native contingents in a very short space of time. But again he was undermined by the quality of characters placed in subordinate roles. They were also chronically underarmed because of the fears of the colonial population. Given that the imperial forces were significantly under strength for the task in hand, i think this was crucial and Durnford recognised it. Had the NNC battalions performed as well as his own Native Horse the outcome may have been different.

Steve
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 6:50 pm

However, on the 22nd January 1879, it could be argued by some (and not necessarily by me) that his military career was far from remarkable and it got worse as the day wore on....

Sime.. Hmmm... Can't see myself arguing against that statement, except to say that even on that
fateful day AWD sold himself dearly and certainly bought time for other's. he organised and carried out
a splendid text book withdrawal and duly organised one of the largest ' last stand's '.

I really find it hard, and i must confess a bit irritated by the continual comparison to GAC. Anthony was
a kind compassionate and even sensitive soul.. and i think Custer was the complete opposite, a vain
glorious pompous nutjob who found genocide to his liking, a complete anathema to all around him,
not afraid to disobey any direct order until in the end he was slapped down, his wife Libby i believe
intervened with Sheridan to restore to him a command. at the battle of the greasy grass he threw
his column commanders under the bus, leaving Reno in the lurch and Benteen off on his famous scout
to the left. needless to say the ammunition he was so desperate for... never arrived. and he was
killed, the squaws are said to have put awl's through his ears in order that he could hear better in
the afterlife. this is just my opinion, there are ( i know ) people on here who are really into Custer.and
will no doubt tell me if i have any facts wrong. thanks for your reply. xhosa
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi,

It could be because they both had moustaches......

GAC was all of those things that you mention (and probably a good deal more) I'm not sure if it was Libby who interceded on his behalf, I know that Terry and Sheridan helped smooth the water between Grant and him.

It was not the first time that he left someone in the lurch, some officer and a patrol was abandoned earlier in his career (can't remember his name) but it caused a lot of ill feeling within the 7th and Benteen thought he was doing it again to LBH.

It didn't help that it was not a particularly unified command in the 7th (thanks to GAC's favouritism)

Strangely enough until a few years ago (at west Point) officer cadets are given a 'blind' wargame scenario, with the same objectives as GAC at LBH and they invariably devise a - plan similar to one used on the day.

I have read about the spikes in his ears (and also another mutilation - involving an arrow...which was concealed from Libby)

I don't think Benteens ammo would have helped much. I spose he went in with a proven plan (that worked before) but when something went wrong - 'Custers Luck' finally deserted him.....and he was unable to retrieve the situation....even if Benteen and Reno (if sober enough) would have rallied to him, I think they were still in trouble....

Cheers

Sime
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 21, 2017 8:10 pm

Steve,

I think another 'fault' with the NNIC, was that fact that it was insisted that they were organised and drilled (to some degree) along European lines. They would have been better employed, fighting in an irregular tribal way, under their own leaders (OK maybe the 'battalion' or 'company' commanders would be European).

Somewhere I have the book 'Black Soldiers of the Queen' which is really good on the subject of the NNIC/NNMC.

Cheers

Sime
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Durnford's Retreat    Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 5:48 am

SRB1965
Sime , it was Major Joel Elliott who Custer as you say through under the bus , along with 10 - 15 Soldiers from memory , and again from memory was it the Sandy Creek Massacre or the Battle of Washita ? .
90th agree
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 8:51 am

90th wrote:
SRB1965
Sime ,  it was Major Joel Elliott who Custer as you say through under the bus , along with 10 - 15 Soldiers from memory ,  and again from memory was it the Sandy Creek Massacre or the Battle of Washita ? .
90th agree

Hi 90th, yeah that's right, it was Elliot.....now you mention it, I think it was after Washita.....I was trying to remember from a couple of documentaries' on TV, I watched a while ago.

Thanks a lot

Sime
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Durnford's Retreat    Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 10:33 am

Hi Sime
I was a Custer phile until the zulu war took over back in 2005 or so . I have quite a few books on the American West , but havent looked at one in 12 years I just remembered !!! , several I havent even read to be honest Shocked Shocked
90th
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 11:34 am

Hi,

I find LBH fascinating probably for the same reason as Isandlwana - the fact that the evidence is sketchy (or almost non existant in the case of LBH) - except from the victors (who were largely ignored).

The Archaeological investigation & evidence (particularly the forensic side of it) from LBH is far superior (perhaps due to the nature of the soil) than Isandlwana.

I spose being a 'young' nation with lots of recent wars (on home territory) - AWI, ACW, Indian Wars etc they look after their battlefields better. Where as in the old world we have neither the living space nor real interest to maintain ours.

In the UK we have no defining point in our history (AWI, ACW, The Alamo - in case of Texas) - 1066 was so long ago and the ECW did not really change much (for most of the population).

Whilst I have your ear - do the Aussies make a big deal about Eureka Stockade or it largely forgotten - albeit nothing as major (or defining) as the American battles mentioned above.

Cheers

Sime
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Durnford's Retreat    Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 2:17 pm

Hi Sime
I doubt anyone out here in Australia under the age of 30 has even heard of the Eureka Stockade , it , was after all , only a relatively small affair compared to defining moments in history of many other nations . As important as it was to the Miner's of the time , it doesnt really have the air of a major confrontation .
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyTue Aug 22, 2017 4:13 pm

Strange that - it was one of the display games, I used to put on at wargames conventions/show around the UK (about 20 years ago)....it used to be good fun....'Crimean War' British and the less flamboyant 'Wild West' figures for the miners....

Spose it was more of riot than a battle........

Thanks a lot

Sime
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 31, 2017 1:25 pm

Durnford's reputation as a maverick, reckless commander as we know can
be traced back to BRP... but even then all was not as it seemed.. IK. sent
me this booklet a couple of years ago i guess.. it show's the preliminary
sketch of his famous painting of the BRP incident.. the author makes the
case that the Shepstone's suppressed the truth and pressured the artist to
produce a ' sanitised ' version. thus the first scape goating of Durnford.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Durnford's Retreat    Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 31, 2017 1:56 pm

Hi Les
Last Nov when Ian and a few of us went to SA , we where fortunate enough to meet Graham Dominy who showed us the Rocket Trough they have in the Pietermaritzberg Museum , he also showed us the Original sketch done of The Bushmans River pass incident , we had a room to ourselves so we where able to touch and handle the Rocket Trough along with Rockets as well , it was a great morning . Unfortunately this Months trip has been cancelled.
90th Very Happy
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 31, 2017 6:18 pm

Hiya mate, i would have loved to have got my hand's on that rocket trough as
well as a live rocket, there's a few on my street i would like to see running for
their lives. Joker soz about your trip i'm guessing it was a numbers thing, but
that's more pennies for sag's innit. Wink xhosa
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 31, 2017 6:26 pm

Hi

Just out of interest is the trough in PM Museum, one from Isandlwana and if not were the (3?) troughs from Isandlwana ever recovered/found or were they trashed by the Zulus?

Cheers

Sime
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 31, 2017 7:11 pm

Hi Sime, i'm sure the 90th will tell you, but from memory i seem to recall
the rev Charles Johnson clearing away a rocket when he was settling his
church at Isandhlwana. xhosa
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Durnford's Retreat    Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 10:44 am

Hi Sime
The Rocket trough in the PM Museum is from Fort Cherry on the Middle Drift , where Durnford was initially before he was ordered to move to RD . I'm not 100 % sure but I dont think the Rocket Troughs was recovered from Isandlwana , but I may be having a senior moment ! . Les is correct , at least a couple of Rockets were found post war , by , from memory , the Rev Johnson .
90th
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 2:17 pm

Coincidentl Ive been having a similar discussion of line with a forum member. Rockets were spread all over the battlefield. Davies comments on sending his men to collect boxes and then dumping them on the plain because they were to heavy.
There are 2 reports of mules running around with rocket panniers strapped on.
Then of course there is the only recorded case of a rocket t Isandlwana actually doing its job:

"“On a certain Sunday, just at the scanty congregation was gathering for worship in the school-church grass hut which also did duty as a store-room on occasions when there was anything to store, a huge rocket which had been dropped by the rocket-battery when that unit was cut to pieces by the Zulus in the battle of Isandhlwane, caught fire from some burning grass, and came with a swoop and a roar right into the little camp”.

With thanks to Ymob for the above.

There was also two rockets found by the proprietor of the hotel down on the Durnford Donga ( The first Hotel in the area) One was dug out of the donga and one was found on the plain and given to Ryder Haggard.

In the iSandlwana tourist centre there is a rocket reputably found at iSandlwana, and tht could easily be the one refered to by 90th as being found by Johnson.

Cheer

Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 01, 2017 7:43 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tellgryn

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2022 2:06 pm

xhosa2000 wrote:
However, on the 22nd January 1879, it could be argued by some (and not necessarily by me) that his military career was far from remarkable and it got worse as the day wore on....

Sime.. Hmmm...  Can't see myself arguing against that statement, except to say that even on that
fateful day AWD sold himself dearly and certainly bought time for other's. he organised and carried out
a splendid text book withdrawal and duly organised one of the largest ' last stand's '.

I really find it hard, and i must confess a bit irritated by the continual comparison to GAC. Anthony was
a kind compassionate and even sensitive soul.. and i think Custer was the complete opposite, a vain
glorious pompous nutjob who found genocide to his liking, a complete anathema to all around him,
not afraid to disobey any direct order until in the end he was slapped down, his wife Libby i believe
intervened with Sheridan to restore to him a command. at the battle of the greasy grass he threw
his column commanders under the bus, leaving Reno in the lurch and Benteen off on his famous scout
to the left. needless to say the ammunition he was so desperate for... never arrived.  and he was
killed, the squaws are said to have put awl's through his ears in order that he could hear better in
the afterlife. this is just my opinion, there are ( i know ) people on here who are really into Custer.and
will no doubt tell me if i have any facts wrong. thanks for your reply. xhosa        

xhosa you are correct, Custer is nothing like Durnford. Custer was a glory hound, covered up many things done wrong by him and his brother Tom. Durnford is a far better person, kind and compassionate as you posted. Durnford gave his life trying to help others, Custer send others in harm's way to get a tactical edge like Reno at the Little Big Horn and in the two cases he promised support and ran off. That is the reason when people compare the two as the same, it appears they know nothing of Custer. I have studied the Civil War since the mid 1960's and the Louisiana troops in the Army of Northern Viriginia since the mid 70's, those troops had a run in with Custer at Appomattox, Custer is a buffer. He lost some artillery to the Louisiana troops just before the surrender and while the truce was on for the surrender he dashed across the field of battle and demanded his artillery back. He was refused by the Louisiana commander, this goes to Custer's buffing nature, which came from his card playing. I can go into long stories of Custer and card playing.

The Little Big Horn battle has much in common with Isandlwana, but also has much that is not common. Benteen scout to no where is due to Benteen is in the lead that day, by sending him off it puts the Custer circle in the lead. Else wise Custer would have been with the Benteen group at last stand hill.

Durnford is being judged by many with 20/20 hindsight and most are totally wrong.

Drunford is much wronged man in these books we have on our selves.

Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2022 3:02 pm

Tellgryn
I have to tell you that your response to Xhosa five years on, is too late as he is no longer with us.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2022 3:04 pm

Tellgryn
Xhosa / John Benson/ Les Knight died a few weeks ago so will not be responding Im afraid. However i do know that you have my book and would hope that you would agree that I have treated Anthony Durnford with respect.

Frank
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2022 3:09 pm

And I think that Durnford has been dealt a poor hand by historians...
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2022 3:29 pm

Something I wrote at the conclusion of my article on Durnford published nearly thirty years ago:

…In death he is as much an enigma, as in life he was a conundrum.  Like his close friend Charles Gordon, he received a martyr's death, facing enemies with whom he had a marked affinity.  Many have spoken since Isandlwana both in praise and to the detriment of Durnford.  I will not sit in judgement of Anthony William Durnford.  However close to where he died is the memorial to the Natal Carbineers who perished that day, and if I may misquote it - neither praise nor blame add to his epitaph.

JY
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnfords retreat.   Durnfords retreat. - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 25, 2022 3:31 pm

Well-spoken John.
Back to top Go down

Durnfords retreat.
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6