WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun May 05, 2024 5:58 pm by John Young

» Zulu "Corps"
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2024 10:44 pm by Julian Whybra

» Fairlie's Native Police
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 9:12 pm by Hobbes

» 24th Regiment side drum a plea for help
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:11 pm by General Gordon

» Francis Shirley Russell 14th Hussars
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 12:20 pm by IntCorpsMedals

» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 am by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 Bar_leftjames - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 Barjames - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 Bar_right 
John Young
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 Bar_leftjames - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 Barjames - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 Bar_right 
Hobbes
Stefaan
General Gordon
New topics
» Zulu "Corps"
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySat May 04, 2024 6:50 pm by Hobbes

» 24th Regiment side drum a plea for help
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 6:11 pm by General Gordon

» Fairlie's Native Police
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyThu May 02, 2024 1:01 pm by Hobbes

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Go down 
+27
Carlos Roca
1879graves
Ulundi
barry
Ray63
sas1
John Young
90th
Mr Greaves
old historian2
ymob
littlehand
Dave
6pdr
Chard1879
Kenny
John
Frank Allewell
ADMIN
DrummerBoy 16
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
impi
kopie
Mr M. Cooper
rusteze
24th
Julian Whybra
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next
AuthorMessage
6pdr

6pdr

james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 3:09 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:

This is a little difficult because I don't want to say anything specific before 5th Nov.  
Is this the date your latest publication is available from Brecon?  I ask because they listed it some time ago, and I ordered it online, but I haven't received it as yet.  I thought DrummerBoy already had a copy, but perhaps he received his in advance of its official publication?

I'm actually more concerned with Chard than Lady Butler, but keen nonetheless!
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 3:23 pm

6pdr wrote:
Julian Whybra wrote:

This is a little difficult because I don't want to say anything specific before 5th Nov.  
Is this the date your latest publication is available from Brecon?  I ask because they listed it some time ago, and I ordered it online, but I haven't received it as yet.  I thought DrummerBoy already had a copy, but perhaps he received his in advance of its official publication?

I'm actually more concerned with Chard than Lady Butler, but keen nonetheless!
6prd, read the original Jenkins topic. It will all be clear!!agree
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 4:16 pm

JW wrote:
I'm also a little perturbed by the sentence
"The artist herself stated that she had ‘managed to show, in that scuffle, all the V.C,’s"
Still if it can be shown to be the case, then that puts element of doubt in the picture. 

If Butler just concentrated on those awarded the VC ( Which makes sense, based on it being commissioned by the Royal family) It would certainly cast some doubt. Why would Butler place a Private Soldier to the front. More prominent that some of the VC winners themselves. I don't think that soldier in the painting is Jenkins. Someone said they thought it was Jones VC?
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 5:03 pm

Quote :
6prd, read the original Jenkins topic. It will all be clear!!agree
Thanks 24th.  BTW, I meant Cochrane, not Chard, fwiw.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 5:07 pm

Surely there must be an original proof for the painting. Naming who's who.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 5:27 pm

Admin
I tend to agree.  Impi is trying to cast doubt based on an unsourced 'quotation'.  I can find no provenance for it and I'm sure he hasn't been able to.  The nearest I can find to it refers to de Neuville's painting - that he "included all the principal actors in the scene". Lady B's painting is clearly not the issue here.  I'd rather wait till 5th Nov.  I'm a patient man and I don't like sources being manipulated.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 5:53 pm

I think this topic needs adding to the original a some stage. 

Impi, i once challenged JW research in another topic. "The Brave Fugitive"
I could have continued, but after obtaining his publication, it was clear to see, that his research and evidence came to the conclusion, the person he said it was, was. It would be worth while, obtaining the evidence. that shows DJ as being at RD.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 6:06 pm

littlehand wrote:
I think this topic needs adding to the original a some stage. 

Impi, i once challenged JW research in another topic. "The Brave Fugitive"
I could have continued, but after obtaining his publication, it was clear to see, that his research and evidence came to the conclusion, the person he said it was, was. It would be worth while, obtaining the evidence. that shows DJ as being at RD.
LH. Let's let Impi run his own course!
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 6:11 pm

Just giving him sound advice!
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks LH Salute 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Click on link above. Look at the images of Lady Butlers Painting, bearing in mind, she mainly concentrated on the VC winners

Also I don't think that is possible that David Jenkins could be recognised from that sketch, as a relative some 120 odd years later.
It's a side view, with a chin strap hiding some features. He's was not awarded the VC. So what's he doing so prominent in the painting. In the link above all the VC winners are mostly facing the front. The others we know of from their wounds.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 11:38 pm

Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 12:10 am

Julian Whybra wrote:
Admin
I tend to agree.  Impi is trying to cast doubt based on an unsourced 'quotation'.  I can find no provenance for it and I'm sure he hasn't been able to.  The nearest I can find to it refers to de Neuville's painting - that he "included all the principal actors in the scene".  Lady B's painting is clearly not the issue here.  I'd rather wait till 5th Nov.  I'm a patient man and I don't like sources being manipulated.
Here's the un-manipulated source, in Butlers own words.

Pages 85-86-87-88-89
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 12:33 am

Well now we know, somewhere there's a list of names for each defender. 

Butler mentiones, that the queen had met all of the survivors.. Don't recall this being said of Jenkins. Question

JW wrote:
"Lady B's painting is clearly not the issue here" 
Julian could you elaborate on this.
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 7:21 am

24th. There seems to be a hell of alot, that David Jenkins kept to himself. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 11:34 am

Impi

First, in my essay if you'd read it, you would see a letter from Lady Butler saying that she only used RD survivors as models and a second letter from her thanking David Jenkins for sitting for her.  You would also find contemporary sources stating that David Jenkins was a survivor.

Secondly, I know the source you've quoted.  It says "I had managed to show, in that scuffle, all the VCs and other conspicuous actors in the drama...Majors Chard and Bromhead were sufficiently recognisable in the centre, for I had them both for their portraits".  It does not say that she had all the individual VC winners as models for their portraits.  That would have been impossible (think of Schiess). Hook is shown from the back and therefore not facially identifiable.  What she does state she showed are the actions of the VC winners.  Their faces are sufficiently obscured, apart from a few that she would have used as models, to be identified as anyone in particular.  The stated that she used only 24th RD survivors as models in the letter I found - Wilson, Desmond, Jenkins, Payton, Roy I have no doubt were used as models since they were in Gosport when she was there painting and asking for them.
Chard and Bromhead she used.  Reynolds, Hitch and Allan were available.  The painting was finished late 1880 after de Neuville's and displayed for the first time in 1881.  So when you write "she mainly concentrated on the VC winners", you actually mean that she mainly concentrated on the actions of the VC winners.

Recognizing David Jenkins from that sketch, has nothing to do with providing evidence that he was at RD.  The sketch is labelled with his name.  I found irrefutable evidence of his presence.  Read it for yourself.  Wait until 5th Nov when most people will have seen it for themselves.  The fireworks can start then.  This damp squib of yours shows no understanding of historical process. You seem to be more intent on futile attempts to score points than seeking after the truth. It might give you pleasure but it's not history.
Back to top Go down
Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 12:43 pm

Impi

Adding to the wise words of JW – and hoping not to incur the wrath of the forum administrator in the process……..

David Jenkins was well-known in the local community in Brecon before and after AZW. His family had strong links with the Lewis family – Margaret Lewis married CSgt George Chambers 1/24th (killed at Isandlwana) and her brother Bombardier Thomas Lewis was a defender at RD.

It is inconceivable that DJ could put about a story of being present at RD, if this were not true. He would have been immediately ostracised by the community.

Before you post your next flippant response – remember the soldiers of both sides went through hell on 22/23 January 1879 – many of them never recovered from that experience. We continue to salute them.
Back to top Go down
6pdr

6pdr

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 1:01 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:
This damp squib of yours shows no understanding of historical process.  You seem to be more intent on futile attempts to score points than seeking after the truth.  It might give you pleasure but it's not history.

Truer words were never written. I particularly like "damp squib." Inspired!

It's reminds me of the judgement on Balaclava: "Magnificent, but not war." This could be "Pedantic, but not history."

Lets' face it, regardless of the form of human endeavor, some people just prefer to draw attention to themselves.

- Brandon

P.S. Unfortunately, not all of us will have an equal chance to be enlightened further on November 5th as I anticipate AT LEAST another week before Brecon gets it to me in the U.S.
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 1:43 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:
Admin
I tend to agree.  Impi is trying to cast doubt based on an unsourced 'quotation'.  I can find no provenance for it and I'm sure he hasn't been able to.  The nearest I can find to it refers to de Neuville's painting - that he "included all the principal actors in the scene".  Lady B's painting is clearly not the issue here.  I'd rather wait till 5th Nov.  I'm a patient man and I don't like sources being manipulated.
JW wrote:
Secondly, I know the source you've quoted 
scratch 

Kenny,he was that well known. No one knew he had taken part in the defence of Rorke's Drift. Not even his family. He didn't put the story about that he was at RD. that's why we are discussing the issue today No 

And yes your correct, I do know that the soldiers went through hell, and that's why is crucial to make sure there are no pretenders in that hall of fame. 

Julian. You are now quoting, from the link to the Butler book I posted. You said you couldn't find providence, I gave it to you. 

The Sketch of whom you claim to be Jenkins, is important as its part of the  evidence, that shows him, one to be in the painting and two at the defence of Rorke' s Drift.

As for scoring points, I'm on my own in this, you have the backing of other members, because of who you are. I will keep looking, until I'm 100% sure you are correct. If that day comes, I will congratulate you on your work and accept David Jenkins was there. 
But if I do find anything that proves otherwise, I will rub it in your arrogant face along with all the others that think the sun shines out of your a**e
agree 

Admin, no doubt you will receive Emails and PMs.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:18 pm

Impi. Your not alone in this as you say, I personally think your comments are relevant, more so JW says there is no source , to veryfy that all the VCs were used in the painting. You then post a link to a book by the artist who in her own words say's she used them all. JW then claimes to know the source. About turn or what?  Cracks are appearing my friend.

It's also odd in all the names JW mentions along with Jenkins taking part in the painting, only Jenkins is named. 

On the 5th of November, don't expect anything that is relevant, all you will get, is members saying JW is correct, Weldone Julian, Pat, Pat. Pat.
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:30 pm

Julian Whybra wrote:
Impi

This is a little difficult because I don't want to say anything specific before 5th Nov.  However, I managed to find out that Lady B. did use Jenkins and other RD participants as models.  I'm afraid neither is it the case that Jenkins never claimed to have been at RD.  He did so claim.  The evidence for all this is in the essay which, I'm sure, others will comment on after 5th Nov.  The painting wasn't finished until well into 1880 by which time several of the 2/24th wounded had arrived home - Hitch, Allan, etc.

I'm also a little perturbed by the sentence
"The artist herself stated that she had ‘managed to show, in that scuffle, all the V.C,’s"
which has been attributed to Lady B.  I've been unable to find an attribution anywhere.  I'm starting to wonder if this isn't apocryphal or was said by someone else about the picture.  I'd certainly be interested if anyone can actually find the source of this remark.
What's going on Julian.
JW wrote:
 Secondly, I know the source you've quoted.
Back to top Go down
Kenny

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Impi

Many people today are not familiar with the exploits and lives of their ancestors.  Once they delve into their family tree – they can be surely amazed.  You only have to watch the celebrities on TVs ‘Who do you think you are’.  I only discovered quite recently that my grandfather went to Paris in 1917 as a member of the Massed Bands of Brigade of Guards.

This is what happened to Geoff Rees of Swansea – he did not know until quite recently that his great grandfather had been at Rorke’s Drift.  He was unaware of the existence of the RD bible presented to David Jenkins in 1879 held by another branch of the family. In his search he found the Lady Butler sketch which became his only evidence.  Today, JW has put together the other evidence and published it.

Last edited by Kenny on Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 3:13 pm

Then its only right, that the truth be justified. The rededication was years ago, JW work is weeks old. Should the research had not been done, to the extend it has been now, at a point before the redication. 

What you are saying, is let things rest for the sake of the family. Very amicable I must say!
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 3:59 pm

Hello all,

What's the finality of this forum?
-Research of truth on the AZW?
-Fight against Mister Julian Whybra in a deliberate and provoking manner?
I have some doubts...

Regard

Frédéric
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
old historian2

old historian2

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:03 pm

Been sitting back watching this unfold. But confused scratch 

Julian, say he would like to know the source of the statement ref: VCs awardee's being used in the famous painting by E. Bulter. 

Impi shows the source, only to be inform by Julian he already knew the source. scratch 

So is the source valid.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:06 pm

24th and Dave
Impi was implying from his original post that Lady B had personally sketched each of the VC winners.  At least that was my interpretation.  That was the 'source' I was referring to having looked for.  When it became clear he was simply quoting her reference to including all the VC winners, it became apparent which source was being used.  I'm sorry if I confused you.

Dave
I'm sorry cracks are appearing.  I hope they heal soon.  

Impi
I'm afraid many people knew in the locality, at work, and in his family that Jenkins had taken part in the Defence of Rorke's Drift. He was referred to several times in the local newspapers.  All these sources appear in my essay.

Thank you for supplying the source of the quotation.  It clarifies Lady B's position exactly.  You'll find I've used extracts from the same passage in the essay.  And it's provenance not providence.

You are quite correct in saying that the sketch labelled as Jenkins is an important part of the evidence.  Taken together with the letter of thanks to him from Lady B and the report as to how she only used RD participants as models, it then assumes even greater importance.  Whether or not Jenkins can be recognized in the resulting painting and which figure he is, is another matter.  (Personally I think his stance is used several times.)  What's important is the sketch is labelled as him and that he posed for her.

I don't have the backing of other members, because of who I am.  If I have any backing, it's because of what I've researched and written.  Reputation is all.  If I simply spouted on this forum without evidence-base, my opinion would be worthless.  I am pleased you will keep looking until you're 100% sure I am correct.  I know you will not find anything which gainsays Jenkins's presence.  I don't expect congratulations.  And I shall take no joy in demonstrating that you have been wrong.  But Jenkins's memory deserves better than this.

I am self-confident over Jenkins, but not arrogant.  As I said, your thought patterns lack historical process.  So, when confronted by logic and consistent evidence-based argument, you resort to anger and sometimes abuse.  It can't be easy, if you're not used to it, and I forgive you your temper tantrums.

Dave 24th impi
You would all do better to wait until 5th Nov when no doubt the others will all be very keen to enlighten you as to the primary sources and their content.  You'll be surprised at how many there are.  I was.  In fact, I'm still finding evidence I could have put in.

Old historian
Yes, the source is valid - it's Lady B's memoirs.  But it simply states that she included representations of all the VC winners winning their VCs.  It doesn't say she had them all pose for her.  How could she?  Schiess was in RSA and several of the 24th were in India.
Back to top Go down
old historian2

old historian2

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:11 pm

ymob wrote:
Hello all,

What's the finality of this forum?
-Research of truth on the AZW?
-Fight against Mister Julian Whybra in a deliberate and provoking manner?
I have some doubts...

Regard

Frédéric
It does no good making comments like that Ymob! 
If a member doesn't agree with another member, it's because they have two different views. It's bound to get heated at some point that's life. 
The issue is not against JW as members keep stating. Impi has always maintained the same stance, and Julian his. 

In Julian's defence, it can only be good for book sales, as not only members what to know, the evidence he has found, but also the guest to the forum. I say let the debate continue, it will stop eventually. 
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:20 pm

[
Frédéric [/quote]It does no good making comments like that Ymob! 
If a member doesn't agree with another member, it's because they have two different views. It's bound to get heated at some point that's life. 
The issue is not against JW as members keep stating. Impi has always maintained the same stance, and Julian his. 

In Julian's defence, it can only be good for book sales, as not only members what to know, the evidence he has found, but also the guest to the forum. I say let the debate continue, it will stop eventually. [/quote] 
No doubt!!!
"Arrogant face" for example is certainly a valid comment for the research of the truth isn't it????
Back to top Go down
old historian2

old historian2

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Perhaps read the posts prior to Impi remark!
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:41 pm

old historian2 wrote:
Perhaps read the posts prior to Impi remark!
I have read all the posts...and it's not only "the Impi remark" (I.E:"for example").
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 5:46 pm

JW wrote:
Thank you for supplying the source of the quotation.  It clarifies Lady B's position exactly.  You'll find I've used extracts from the same passage in the essay. 
Your welcome!
Back to top Go down
Mr Greaves

Mr Greaves

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 10:23 am

The bibles have been signed by Miss Wilkinson. Who is she?
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 1:16 pm

She was something to do with the methodist Church.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 7:48 pm

Miss Wilkinson was I believe hon secretary to the Rorkes Drift Testimonial Fund.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 7:51 pm

do we have a photo of this lady?
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 7:54 pm

Hi Dave
Ive never seen one, I would be surprised if there was an individual photo but its highly possible that there was a photo of the committee. I cant say why but there is a niggle that Ive seen one.
Cjeers
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 03, 2013 11:29 pm

Dave wrote:
do we have a photo of this lady?
I saw one not long ago, will try to retrace by web-searches.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 7:46 pm

I'm unlocking this topic a day early,as I'm not going to be about tomorrow.

I have merged the Butler painting topic with this one, as the posts are more directed at this topic, than E. Butlers painting.
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 8:15 pm

Well looking forward to the members who brought the publication views?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 9:03 pm

not tonight..just reading it for
the fourth time. i will
let some one else kick off.
so convincing,any thing else
without back up is risible..
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 9:28 pm

Deleted
CTSG. Not the kind of post to restart this topic. 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 9:49 pm

so i'm going mad scratch  believe
i posted just a while ago, admin
stop juggling and please restore
my post.Suspect  No 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:24 pm

btw, how long you getting off
for, have you appointed a
stand by moderator, this is apt
to get messy.ie, evidence v ?
cheers
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:40 pm

xhosa2000 wrote:
not tonight..just reading it for
the fourth time. i will
let some one else kick off.
so convincing,any thing else
without back up is risible..
Your post is on the other page. It was CTSG post that got deleted. Come on Les. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:48 pm

Les which post are you referring to?
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 04, 2013 10:59 pm

littlehand,pete, c'mon be serious Rolling Eyes  its
not that i dont do this all the time, thank
the stars you are watching over me Salute 
but pete if your awol,' who guards the guards'
Les
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 11:26 am

Hi all,
I have read this night the study written par Mister Whybra on Jenkins.
Exceptional as usual with this author.
There is no doubt in my mind on his presence at Rorke's Drift.

Cheers

Frédéric
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 1:10 pm

Dave wrote:
Impi. Your not alone in this as you say, I personally think your comments are relevant, more so JW says there is no source , to veryfy that all the VCs were used in the painting. You then post a link to a book by the artist who in her own words say's she used them all. JW then claimes to know the source. About turn or what?  Cracks are appearing my friend.

It's also odd in all the names JW mentions along with Jenkins taking part in the painting, only Jenkins is named. 

On the 5th of November, don't expect anything that is relevant, all you will get, is members saying JW is correct, Weldone Julian, Pat, Pat. Pat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 1:14 pm

being presented to the king,
with comrades looking on..
the third letter..JW. leads
us, baby stepping us through
his finding's. the research is
at times overwhelmingly
hammered home ( and quite
rightly so ) for me there has
never been any doubt
as to the author's contention,
that 295 was indeed a drift
defender/survivor.

i hope that when the counter
argument arrives the author's
will by now have read JW's
conclusions, if not, provide
( actual ) EVIDENCE in support
of their assertions. JW Salute  agree 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 1:17 pm

dave get a clue,look at the
bigger picture. ( pun intended ) You need to study mo 
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records   james - Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 05, 2013 9:09 pm

I would thought there would have been more responces. Disappointing for both me and Julian. So can we take it that only two members of the forum purchased the book?
Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 18Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10 ... 18  Next