WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» 100,000 posts!
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:47 pm by jgregory

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

» How many started?
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:10 am by Julian Whybra

» Firing Line formation
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyMon Jan 22, 2024 2:32 pm by Julian Whybra

» Why did Maj. Spalding have to go ?
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 9:40 pm by Stefaan

» Grape-shot at close range.
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyMon Jan 15, 2024 7:42 am by SRB1965

» Books Hlobane & Kambula
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 10:08 am by John Young

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. Bar_leftHon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. BarHon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. Bar_right 
Dash
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. Bar_leftHon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. BarHon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. Bar_right 
Bill8183
Hobbes
SRB1965
ADMIN
jgregory
John Young
1879graves
Tig Van Milcroft
New topics
» 100,000 posts!
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 4:46 pm by Will M

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:24 am by ADMIN

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
littlehand

littlehand

Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. Empty
PostSubject: Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot.   Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySat May 31, 2014 11:09 pm

"CAPTAIN THE HON. FITZWILLIAM ELLIOT (1849-1928)
Anglo-Zulu War 1879:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Description:
A group of 13 letters and 2 continuations to his mother written between 20th May and 4th August 1879 whilst on active service in Zululand by Captain the Hon. Fitzwilliam Elliot, 93rd Sutherland Highlanders (93rd Foot), son of the 3rd Earl of Minto and younger brother of the 4th Earl of Minto, Governor General of Canada and Viceroy of India. Most with the envelopes addressed to his mother the Countess of Minto at 48 Eaton Square, London or Minto House, Hawick, N.B., with the 6d rubber stamp – ‘On active service in the field, no stamps procurable.’ The letters are closely written on 74 pages of folded blue note paper each 200 x 125 mm. Elliot, as an experienced officer and from a privileged social position, provides valuable insight into the campaign and the organisation of the army.
Also included:
Four carte de visite photographs, two of Elliot himself which are inscribed in his hand on the back, ‘Self on joining 93rd in  1867', and one each of his mother and father the Earl and Countess of Minto.
A carte de visite photograph of John Dunn taken by B.Kisch, Photographer & Artist, Durban, Natal.
Elliot’s ‘Record of Services of Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot.’ Army Form B.199, printed on blue paper.
Elliot’s commission appointing him Captain on 19th October 1878.

Elliot left England aboard the Conway Castle on 20th May 1879 and arrived in Cape Town on Friday, 6th June. He stayed at Government House where he was privy to some of the gossip in high places surrounding the war and the recent death of the Prince Imperial. He comments about Lord Chelmsford, ‘He has excellent officers in his army but cannot apparently get them to pull well together owing in a great degree to the unpopularity of Col. Crealock his military secretary….Now I am not with the army yet and am quite at liberty to tell you everything I hear of my future Commander in Chief and in saying that I believe Frere has little confidence in him, there is the impression the staff here has given me and of course in giving it to me they know, probably wish, that I won’t keep it to myself. No one seems to expect the war to end this year.’
He departed on 9th June aboard The Melrose arriving in Durban on Saturday 14th June where he received orders to joint Lieutenant-Colonel Crealock’s column on the Tugela River. He comments about the Prince Imperial’s death, ‘I think as usual people are hasty in their strong condemnation of (Captain) Carey. I don’t know him, but I do many of his friends and they all say he a good fellow but not a brilliant one. He is to be tried and I am afraid will be found guilty in which case there is no choice of punishment. It is a very nasty business.’
By 30th June he was at Camp Durnford where his detachment was involved with raiding the Zulu kraals and where they anticipated an advance to Ulundi and the arrival of Sir Garnet Wolseley by ship. However Wolseley was unable to land owing to rough seas and was forced to return to Durban. Elliot describes meeting John Dunn. There is evident frustration with Crealock’s slow progress, ‘His staff did all they could to make him move, but no, he would do nothing…he has had a grand chance and lost it and I should doubt his ever receiving another good command. If he does I hope I shan’t be serving under him.’
In a letter dated Camp Durnford, 10th July, he describes the cavalry and ‘Dunn’s men’ moving in support of the advance towards Ulundi and meeting the first Zulu warriors who had been present at the battle of Ulundi on 5th July and the news that Cetshwayo had escaped with one regiment to the north.
On 13th July he writes of receiving the first dispatches from Lord Chelmsford’s column about the victory at Ulundi. Happiness at this success is tinged with disappointment and discontent with Crealock for not having pressed on more vigorously. ‘Yesterday I was speaking to Sir Garnet who asked me if I have been lucky enough to see anything and I answered that I had been so far fortunate in having seen everything that was to have been seen with the column since its advance, but that was almost nothing…..on which Sir Garnet replied that, “ I should have thought not of what the column should or could have done, but rather by what sort of man it was commanded.” These are strong words for the C. in C. to use to me….’
He continues describing his own personal experiences, ‘I have therefore been very lucky in being attached to the cavalry and seeing more action than anyone not belonging to it. They have been doing all the dirty work for months past. In such a war there is nothing to be gained except by very fear and no glory in defeating such savages against whom there is no feeling of enmity but rather the opposite. I have taken rather a fancy to the Zulus, they are always so thoroughly manly, they never look cowed, but hold themselves always like men, never appearing angry, nor even humiliated at the loss of homes, cattle, women, everything indeed which they possess.’
On 19th July he writes describing a parade at which Wolseley presented Chard with his V.C. for his role at Rorke’s Drift commenting, ‘He (Chard) is a rum’un to look at, and most unprepossessing. It is generally considered that the V.C. is a most unsuitable reward and it would have been better to have given something else. Chard was the senior officer at Rorke’s Drift and got the chief kudos, whereas Bromhead was in point of fact in charge of the fighting element. The man to whom the chief credit for the defence of the post in given is a commissariat officer, but as he is a non-combatant it is probably his doings which will never be known beyond the troops here. Pearson has returned to England where probably he will be made much of, greatly to the amusement of all here. He is quite universally considered to be one of the greatest muffs this war has produced.’
In a letter dated 5th August Elliot gives a very detailed account of the composition of the 1st Division (Crealock’s column) naming all the senior officers and comments on them. He describes the equipment carried by the men and their rations, and also the transport wagons and what they carried.
The final letter, dated at Ulundi, 12th August 1978.
William Fitzwilliam Elliot-Murray-Kynynmound, retired from the army as a Lieutenant-Colonel. His service records show that prior to Zululand he had served in Nova Scotia in Canada. In his final letters he makes mention of wishing to be posted back to Canada where there was evidently a romantic interest for on 4th February 1880 in Halifax he married Elizabeth Fanny Rutherford. They had three children. His son ‘Jock’ served in the Anglo-Boer War 1899-1902. After the Zulu campaign Elliot served as Deputy Assistant Adjutant General Dublin District 1881-1884, in the War Office from 1884-89 and North East District 1889-92. He published two books, The Border Elliots and the Family of Minto (1897) and The Battle of Flodden and the Raids of 1513 (1911)"

Source:http://www.antiquarianauctions.com/bids/autograph-letters-of-captain-the-hon-fitzwilliam-elliot-1849-1928- 
Taken from site above to preserve text and photos, as they will be lost when sold. 
Back to top Go down
Brin

Brin

PostSubject: Re: Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot.   Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySat May 16, 2020 9:22 am

Hi LittleHand,
Thank you for taking the time to post the above a number of years ago.  Agree post the sale the letter and images above would have been lost in a private collection somewhere...
I have a scanned copy of the Wilkinson Sword register entry (ref 21892) for the then Lt William Fitzwilliam Elliot, 93rd Sutherland Highlanders to the sword he is holding above.  The order was placed on 28th May 1877 and passed the strike and bend test on the 12 June 1877.  The blade has minimal etching comprising of the period Wilkinson standard logos and proof slug, and is considered in the collecting arena as
a 'campaign sword' (ie: one bought for use rather than decoration). The Wilkinson Sword ledger entry notes it was "fitter in" which means the blade was a replacement to an existing (non-Wilkinson) basket hilt although the ferrule, grip, top piece insert and fringe were replaced by Wilkinson.  At the time of purchase Elliot had recently completed the Staff Officer's course and was re-joining the 93rd in Ireland.  He was promoted to Captain on 19 Oct 1878 and to Major on 31 Jan 1883 then to Lt. Col. on 31 Jan 1888, believe he retired in 1892 (more reach required).
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot.   Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySat May 16, 2020 3:08 pm

Southern Reporter 22 November 1928
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot.   Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySat May 16, 2020 3:20 pm

Minto Parish Churchyard, Minto, Scottish Borders, Scotland
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
Brin

Brin

PostSubject: Re: Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot.   Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot. EmptySat May 16, 2020 3:58 pm

Hi 1879graves,
Wow, some good and useful info there - thank you!  Might have to take a drive down to Minto when the present circumstances change.
Thank you for confirming he retired from active service in 1892.
Noted the basket hilt to Elliot's sword is electro-plated (to late Victorian standards) which it would not have been at the time of purchase, and does not look to have been plated in the above images (it appears steel finished like similar of the time).  In addition only the basket has been plated and not the whole of the sword as was popular by collectors in the 1960/70s. Period plating of basket hilts to swords became fashionable from c.1895 when the hilts altered from the rounded bar style (as above) to the later flat bar style from Wilkinson.  This is suggestive the same sword was also carried by his son when joining the Royal Scots Fusiliers in 1900 to bring it up to the then regulation standards - but this is only subjective speculation, as the scabbard is absent so unable to determine if it had a fitted 1899 pattern scabbard one or not..
When William Fitzwilliam was promoted to Major, in 1883, he would have been eligible to have had a Scottish Field Officer's hilted sword rather than a Basket Hilted sword, especially as this was actively encouraged in the 93rd (Robson, fig 147 and page 132).  So maybe he purchased another sword with a Field Officer's hilt and more ornate etching on the blade at a later date..?

(Brian Robson, "Swords of the British Army" - The regulation patterns, 1788-1914, 1975 edition, Arms & Armour Press, SBN 853682593)
Back to top Go down

Hon. William Fitzwilliam Elliot.
Page 1 of 1