WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» 100,000 posts!
Militaria Sale EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Militaria Sale EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:47 pm by jgregory

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Militaria Sale EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Militaria Sale EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Militaria Sale EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Militaria Sale EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Militaria Sale EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Militaria Sale EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Militaria Sale EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Militaria Sale EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Militaria Sale EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Militaria Sale EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Militaria Sale EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Militaria Sale EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Militaria Sale EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Militaria Sale EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
Militaria Sale EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Militaria Sale EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
Militaria Sale EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
Militaria Sale EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
Militaria Sale EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
Militaria Sale EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
Militaria Sale EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
Militaria Sale EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Militaria Sale EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
Militaria Sale EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
Militaria Sale EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
Militaria Sale EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
Militaria Sale EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
Militaria Sale EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

» How many started?
Militaria Sale EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:10 am by Julian Whybra

» Firing Line formation
Militaria Sale EmptyMon Jan 22, 2024 2:32 pm by Julian Whybra

» Why did Maj. Spalding have to go ?
Militaria Sale EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 9:40 pm by Stefaan

» Grape-shot at close range.
Militaria Sale EmptyMon Jan 15, 2024 7:42 am by SRB1965

» Books Hlobane & Kambula
Militaria Sale EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 10:08 am by John Young

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Militaria Sale Bar_leftMilitaria Sale BarMilitaria Sale Bar_right 
Dash
Hobbes
Bill8183
SRB1965
ADMIN
jgregory
John Young
1879graves
Tig Van Milcroft
New topics
» 100,000 posts!
Militaria Sale EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Militaria Sale EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
Militaria Sale EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Militaria Sale EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Militaria Sale EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
Militaria Sale EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Militaria Sale EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Militaria Sale EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 4:46 pm by Will M

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Militaria Sale EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:24 am by ADMIN

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Militaria Sale

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
milner

Militaria Sale Empty
PostSubject: Militaria Sale   Militaria Sale EmptyThu Aug 13, 2020 5:11 pm

This may be of interest to members

Description:
19th C Zulu hardwood staff set with unmarked silver presentation plaque engraved 'Zulu Ceremonial Dance Staff Taken From The Kraal Of Prince Dabulmanzi by Col. R. W. P. Curzon Howe Ulundi 1879' (overall length 158cm)
Estimate:
£1000 - £1500

Ryedale Auctioneers this Sunday 16th at 11.00am Lot No 70.

Auction online at saleroom.com

Regards Tony
Back to top Go down
milner

Militaria Sale Empty
PostSubject: Re: Militaria Sale   Militaria Sale EmptyMon Aug 17, 2020 5:17 pm

Above item unsold,will probably in a later auction.

Regards Tony
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

Militaria Sale Empty
PostSubject: Militaria Sale    Militaria Sale EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 12:52 am

I doubt it I believe it's a FAKE ! , certainly wouldn't get me ! , no-one by that name was in the AZW , and Dabulamanzi's Kraal(s) weren't near Ulundi !!.
90th Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

Militaria Sale Empty
PostSubject: Re: Militaria Sale   Militaria Sale EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 9:22 am

In 1838, Curzon-Howe joined the British Army and rose through the ranks as a Major General in 1869, a Lieutenant General in 1877 and a General in 1880. He fought in the Kaffir War and was present at the Siege of Delhi, for which he was appointed a CB in 1858. In 1876, Curzon inherited his elder brother's titles. He was appointed Honorary Colonel of the Prince Albert's Own Leicestershire Yeomanry Cavalry in 1876 on the death of his brother (Lt.Col. Commandant PAOLYC [1870–79] George, 2nd Earl Howe), Colonel of the 94th and 17th Regiment of Foot in 1879 and Colonel of the 2nd Life Guards in 1890. In 1897, he was appointed a GCVO for his services as Lord Lieutenant of Leicestershire, a post he held between 1888 and 1900.The regiment embarked for South Africa in spring 1879 and saw action at the Battle of Ulundi in July 1879 during the Anglo-Zulu War.[9] The regiment marched into the Transvaal and took part in the successful attack on Sekukuni's stronghold on 28 November 1879 during the Basuto Gun War.[9] Two Victoria Crosses were awarded to members of the regiment for their conduct during this action.[23]

The regiment remained in South Africa with its eight companies widely distributed throughout the Transvaal, garrisons being established in Pretoria (E and G companies), Lydenburg (A and F companies), Wakkerstroom (C company), Marabastad (B company), Standerton (H company) and Newcastle in northern Natal (D company). It was during the re-concentration of the companies, in response to outbreaks of civil disorder by the Boers, that A and F companies were attacked at Battle of Bronkhorstspruit in December 1880 in the opening clash of the First Boer War: the two companies saw 156 of their soldiers killed or wounded, with the rest taken prisoner.[24] The other six companies of the regiment spent the war being besieged by the Boers: C, D and H in Standerton, E and G in Pretoria, B in Marabastad, and a small detachment of 50 men in Lydenburg.[25]

So Colonel Curzon Howes regiment, the 94th ,were in action at Ulundi even though the were commanded by lt. Col Malthus.

Whilst I agree with 90th that Dabulamanzi's kraal was down towards the coast he did spend a lot of time at Ondini, even after the war in the fighting with Zibhebhu ka Maphitha. So the 'possibility would exist that the staff was taken from Ulundi and presented to the regiments Colonel in Chief.

There is a further possibility that when the 94th retired to the coast to link up with the coastal division Gingindhlvu was 'visited' and items were taken.

Just a couple of possibilities to ponder

Cheers
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

Militaria Sale Empty
PostSubject: Militaria Sale    Militaria Sale EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi Frank
Your post is quite confusing , Col Drury Curzon- Lowe ( not Howe ) was in command of the 17th Lancers in 1879 in Sth Africa , as I mentioned there was no-one named Curzon - Howe on service in Sth Africa during the the AZW of 79 , at least according to Mac & Shad . To me it smacks of someone trying to fake a battlefield pick up and they've got the names confused , as I think you may have done ? .
90th Very Happy Salute
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

Militaria Sale Empty
PostSubject: Re: Militaria Sale   Militaria Sale EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 4:25 pm

Evening Gary. Curzon Howe probably wasnt in SA at the time but he was honory colonel of the various regiments. Its an honary title much as most of the royal family have honory titles. In fact Captain Tom is now honory Colonel of his old regiment now. Pretty sure Princess Ann is also honary Colonel , of an Australian regiment I believe. My point, you seemed to have missed was that its plausible that he was presented with the memento. Its merely an observation that the possibility does exist, unless of course there is Made in China sticker on the bottom. Very Happy
Names arent mixed up at all the Curzon Howe family is rather famous in the UK, He was Lord Lieutenant of Leicester. He did incidently serve in SA during the Eastern Cape wars.
Google him.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

Militaria Sale Empty
PostSubject: Militaria Sale    Militaria Sale EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 4:39 pm

Hi Frank
Alarm bells , red flags , or whatever you want to call it to me , if , as you say ,  it was presented to him , why would he put his OWN name on it ( please don't reply so he'd know it was his , and others would know who it belonged to Joker )  , wouldn't it make more sense to add the name of the person who gave it to him ? , as surely this person would be a high ranking Officer as well one would think ? , certainly doubt it'd presented to him by anyone less than an officer ? , as I mentioned he isn't mentioned in Mac & Shad , there have been many fakes over the years , you don't need a ' made in china sticker'  attached to realise this , JY has seen his fair share of fake Militaria over the years , there are some fakes you wouldn't believe on ebay , these from blood river !! , I'm laughing so much I'm hitting the wrong keys , if you feel like parting with some hard earned Rands , good luck , but I'd suggest you don't ! hahahahaha. Let's not forget what the listing actually states .
Description:
19th C Zulu hardwood staff set with unmarked silver presentation plaque engraved 'Zulu Ceremonial Dance Staff Taken From The Kraal Of Prince Dabulmanzi by Col. R. W. P. Curzon Howe Ulundi 1879' (overall length 158cm) Dabulamanzi didn't have a kraal at Ulundi ! , spending time there as you said is not the same as him having a kraal there , and the fact that it reads taken from the Kraal by Curzon - Howe ! , who wasn't even in the Campaign , can't really see how you think it's genuine , if it was ' given ' to him as you suggest it wouldn't say '' Taken '' by Curzon - Howe . Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Cheers Mate
90th Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

Militaria Sale Empty
PostSubject: Re: Militaria Sale   Militaria Sale EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 4:56 pm

I fully agree, wouldnt touch it, however its interesting to make the connections. Theres no real reason why he should be in Mac and shad, I doubt he was in SA at the time, most probably had his feet up in his club in London. Hand carving artifacts for a hobby Very Happy
At the current exchange rates theres not a cat in hells chance i would buy anything outside of the Cape. Speaking of which, prohibition is now over and my bar is restocked as is my wifes fag cupboard. Stay safe mate I see the infection rate is dropping in Victoria.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

Militaria Sale Empty
PostSubject: Militaria Sale    Militaria Sale EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 5:07 pm

Hi Frank
Sorry mate , no connections whatsoever , out and out fake , every officer who was in Zululand is in Mac & Shad , it lists their individual service in the campaign , ( not only those who died there ) if he was in Zululand you'd expect him to be mentioned , and I can tell you I've read a lot on that Campaign ....and I've never heard of him , don't know anyone who has in AZW circles , this was offered up previously and didn't sell , I wonder why ? , to me they've tried a cheap shot with Google ...and came up with with the wrong ' Curzon ' they needed Lowe not Howe ! , seems obvious to me , there's the connection ...none . He would've been a pretty switched on chap sitting in London carving out artifacts for a 6 mth campaign HAHAHAHAHAHAHA . Yes our lowest case number in a month , glad you got the drink and fags back in order . You to stay safe , I hear it's out of control over there , but they aren't keen on really saying so ? .
90th Salute Salute
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

Militaria Sale Empty
PostSubject: Militaria Sale    Militaria Sale EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 5:35 pm

Hi Frank
Have sent you an email with some other fakes from ebay , you should get a laugh out of them .
90th Joker Joker
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

Militaria Sale Empty
PostSubject: Re: Militaria Sale   Militaria Sale EmptyTue Aug 18, 2020 5:59 pm

Good laugh indeed
Cheers mate. Stay safe, that goes for all the forum members
Back to top Go down

Militaria Sale
Page 1 of 1