WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» 100,000 posts!
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:47 pm by jgregory

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

» How many started?
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:10 am by Julian Whybra

» Firing Line formation
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyMon Jan 22, 2024 2:32 pm by Julian Whybra

» Why did Maj. Spalding have to go ?
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 9:40 pm by Stefaan

» Grape-shot at close range.
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyMon Jan 15, 2024 7:42 am by SRB1965

» Books Hlobane & Kambula
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 10:08 am by John Young

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Chard/Bromhead revolvers Bar_leftChard/Bromhead revolvers BarChard/Bromhead revolvers Bar_right 
Dash
Chard/Bromhead revolvers Bar_leftChard/Bromhead revolvers BarChard/Bromhead revolvers Bar_right 
Hobbes
Bill8183
SRB1965
ADMIN
jgregory
Tig Van Milcroft
Rob Herrick
90th
New topics
» 100,000 posts!
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 4:46 pm by Will M

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:24 am by ADMIN

Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Chard/Bromhead revolvers

Go down 
+2
timothylrose
Stand to
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Stand to

Stand to

Chard/Bromhead revolvers Empty
PostSubject: Chard/Bromhead revolvers   Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 4:19 pm

Good morning gentlemen/ladies,

Yes, I did use your search function first.  I fear the results I got reflected my poor searching skillset.  

Back to topic, do we know what specific model of Webley (or Enfield???) revolver Lt. Chard and Lt. Bromhead carried on the 22nd and 23rd of January, 1879?  I presume it was a unit issue or private purchase by said officer?  Is that how it worked in those times?  
I have seen several statements with different answers regarding the model/caliber of the revolvers.

But the one that is the most commonly spoken of is a Webley Royal Irish Constabulary, and at least in Chards case, in caliber .45.  If this so, it could quite possibly be caliber .450 Adams which was in use by the British military at that time.  At least I think .450 Adams was in British military sidearm use at that time.  

In essence:

1. Do we know maker, model and caliber for said gentleman's sidearms?

2. How, and from whom, were, sidearms issued to officers in 1878/79??  Were officers obliged to purchase their own sidearm if they desired one?

3. Was caliber .450 Adams in British military service during the 1878/79 window?

I am located in Eastern Washington State about 200 miles inland from the Pacific coastline  As a moderately interesting datapoint about me, our home address is 10,500 miles (17,000 km) from KZN.  So, frankly the Anglo/Zulu wars knowledge around here is virtually non-existent, save for a few hard core amateur historians. or Anglophiles. Regrettably, the closest I have ever been to being in Britain was a brief trip up to “British” Columbia! Wink  

Despite my, admittedly poor, attempts using your search function and having crap results, I just know these questions of mine must (MUST) have been answered and discussed ad nausem already on this forum.  And for my inability to find them, I apologize in advance.

Stand to
Back to top Go down
timothylrose

PostSubject: Re: Chard/Bromhead revolvers   Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySat Aug 14, 2021 7:46 pm

Chard's revolver at the RE Museum is a Webley RIC and is said to be the one he carried in the Zulu War - officers bought their own in "Government cartridge" ORs carried either the new Mark 3 Adams made as a centre fire or Mark 2 conversions from percussion ones. Calibre designation can be somewhat problematic - I have 2 Webley RIC's, one in .455 and one in .450/455 as the cartridge were virtually interchangeable alongside the .476 Enfields - here's a link that will help to confuse you on all that http://www.cartridgecollectors.org/?page=introduction-to-455-cartridges
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Chard/Bromhead revolvers   Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyMon Aug 16, 2021 9:55 am

Chard's revolver that he used at Rorke's Drift is on display at the Royal Engineers Museum. I think there is also a photo of the specific revolver on the website.

I remember seeing it in person back in like 2013 - was a very interesting experience!
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Chard/Bromhead revolvers   Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 1:15 pm

Click Here
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
Stand to

Stand to

PostSubject: Re: Chard/Bromhead revolvers   Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyTue Aug 17, 2021 4:54 pm

Thank you for that attachment. Beautiful photoos and informative.

Stand to
Back to top Go down
Spudee

Spudee

PostSubject: Re: Chard/Bromhead revolvers   Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptyWed Aug 18, 2021 1:05 am

Here is a link to Chard's Webley at the RE Museum. http://81.145.194.75/Details/collect/11775
Back to top Go down
free1954

PostSubject: Re: Chard/Bromhead revolvers   Chard/Bromhead revolvers EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 1:06 pm

great information and links. thanks to all.
Back to top Go down

Chard/Bromhead revolvers
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: BRITISH / COLONIAL UNIFORMS. WEAPONS.-
Jump to: