WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu. Lieutenant John Chard: The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day. Bromhead: Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» The Pictorial World - March 15th 1879
Natal Native Contingent EmptyYesterday at 1:13 pm by ben2000

» The lost diary of Pvt James Owen
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jul 25, 2024 12:03 pm by miklew

» Last of the 24th at Isandhlwana
Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Jul 24, 2024 6:16 pm by John Young

» What was the uniform of field marshals/generals in the zulu war?
Natal Native Contingent EmptyMon Jul 22, 2024 6:53 am by John Young

» Henderson and the NNH at Rorke's Drift
Natal Native Contingent EmptySat Jul 20, 2024 12:17 pm by SRB1965

» Capt. D. Hayes 1/3rd Regt., NNC
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jul 18, 2024 11:11 am by Julian Whybra

» The Wrecked Camp
Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Jul 17, 2024 4:33 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private N/N John Robert Branch 90th Regiment and his discovered diary
Natal Native Contingent EmptyMon Jul 15, 2024 8:53 pm by 1879graves

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Natal Native Contingent EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 12:06 pm by 1879graves

» 90th foot sgt T. Collins 214
Natal Native Contingent EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 10:57 am by johnman

» Baron Von Steitencron
Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Jul 10, 2024 3:10 pm by Julian Whybra

» Sgt Joseph Windridge, Defender of Rorke's Drift - Memorial
Natal Native Contingent EmptyTue Jul 09, 2024 3:15 am by 90th

» Writing advice
Natal Native Contingent EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 4:04 pm by Julian Whybra

» South Africa 1877-79, 1 clasp, 1877-8-9 (4389 Fr. Sergt. S. Smith. O/2. Bde. R.A.)
Natal Native Contingent EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 9:30 am by rai

» The trashing of the Zulu monument to the brave warriors at Isandlawana March 12, 2024 has been blamed on scrap metal scavengers.
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:41 pm by ADMIN

» The Goodwill Zulu Festival: Celebrating the Welsh and KwaZulu Natal Shared Heritage.
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:27 pm by ADMIN

» Any nominal role of G Coy 2/24th regiment
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 11:18 am by Wayne

» Bassage Diary
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 9:31 am by Julian Whybra

» Prior to Sihayo's Kraal
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 9:19 am by 90th

» British Fort Locations
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 3:40 am by 90th

» Sergeant 1064 Tom Hick / Hicks G Company 2/24th Regiment
Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Jul 03, 2024 11:05 am by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Natal Native Contingent EmptyFri Jun 28, 2024 2:31 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» Private 25B/279 Henry Sears Bugler E Company 24th Reg. KIA Isandlwana
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jun 27, 2024 1:07 pm by gardner1879

» Hamilton Browne's birthday
Natal Native Contingent EmptyFri Jun 21, 2024 9:22 am by Julian Whybra

» Zulu "Corps"
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jun 20, 2024 6:01 pm by Hobbes

» Army Pay Department Personnel
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jun 20, 2024 11:49 am by Julian Whybra

» Ntshingwayo birth date
Natal Native Contingent EmptySun Jun 16, 2024 11:37 am by Hobbes

» Zibhebhu and Cetshwayo's family
Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Jun 05, 2024 9:11 pm by Julian Whybra

» Smith's Store/Hotel
Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Jun 05, 2024 6:06 pm by Julian Whybra

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Natal Native Contingent EmptyTue Jun 04, 2024 5:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Shaka iLembe
Natal Native Contingent EmptySat Jun 01, 2024 1:27 pm by Jon84

» Bugler 1415 Thomas Finn / Flin 90th Regiment
Natal Native Contingent EmptySat May 25, 2024 11:28 am by johnman

» Inspector-General Evelyn Richard Hugh Pollard
Natal Native Contingent EmptyTue May 14, 2024 10:13 am by ADMIN

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Natal Native Contingent EmptySat May 11, 2024 8:01 am by Julian Whybra

» Fairlie's Native Police
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu May 02, 2024 9:12 pm by Hobbes

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Natal Native Contingent Bar_leftNatal Native Contingent BarNatal Native Contingent Bar_right 
Branchjr
Natal Native Contingent Bar_leftNatal Native Contingent BarNatal Native Contingent Bar_right 
1879graves
90th
SRB1965
John Young
paulhellier
Hobbes
johnman
ADMIN
New topics
» The Pictorial World - March 15th 1879
Natal Native Contingent EmptyYesterday at 1:13 pm by ben2000

» The lost diary of Pvt James Owen
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jul 25, 2024 12:03 pm by miklew

» Last of the 24th at Isandhlwana
Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Jul 24, 2024 5:53 pm by miklew

» What was the uniform of field marshals/generals in the zulu war?
Natal Native Contingent EmptySun Jul 21, 2024 12:30 pm by darthvaix

» Henderson and the NNH at Rorke's Drift
Natal Native Contingent EmptyFri Jul 19, 2024 1:29 pm by SRB1965

» Capt. D. Hayes 1/3rd Regt., NNC
Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Jul 17, 2024 10:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» The Wrecked Camp
Natal Native Contingent EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 8:51 am by 61MECH

» The trashing of the Zulu monument to the brave warriors at Isandlawana March 12, 2024 has been blamed on scrap metal scavengers.
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:41 pm by ADMIN

» The Goodwill Zulu Festival: Celebrating the Welsh and KwaZulu Natal Shared Heritage.
Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:27 pm by ADMIN

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Natal Native Contingent

Go down 
+8
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
Dave
robgolding
Frank Allewell
littlehand
Saul David 1879
90th
John
12 posters
AuthorMessage
John

John

Natal Native Contingent Empty
PostSubject: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyTue Jan 19, 2010 10:15 pm

"Natal Native Contingent early in the battle broke and fled, leaving a gap in the defence line, 300 yards (275 m) wide."

Just a few questions to feed my brain. Well was left of it.!

Were all the members of the NNC at Isandlwana armed with the MH? Were they given ammunition or was that just for the Europeans.

Maybe I shouldn’t, But going by the film Zulu Dawn, One MH was issued between ten men of the NNC.

These lads were not trained soldiers like the British and were it not down to the lack of experience on the officer’s part for not keeping the NNC under control.

What was the average age of these guys ?

And Is there any records from the NNC giving their versions of events.

Thanks in advance..... Wink
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Natal Native Cont.   Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 12:11 am

hi john.
Zulu Dawn is fairly close to the mark in regards to the arming of the NNC , I think one rifle per
10 men is right , and also only 5 rounds I think !. Not sure if they had the M.H , my guess
Sniders but I dont know for sure , if I get a chance I will have a look. The NNC were deployed
on the right flank of the imperial troops and when and if they bolted it would have left a huge
hole which the thinly scattered line of soldiers could not have possibly held .
hope this helps .
cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Natal Native Cont.   Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 1:17 am

Hi John.
This from I. Castle"s book. " ZULU WAR - VOLUNTEERS, IRREGULARS AND AUXILIARIES published
by Osprey.

NATAL NATIVE CONT. WEAPONS AND EQUIPMENT .
Due to fears expressed by Natal"s colonists only a limited number of firearms were issued to the NNC, and
in any case little enough time was available to train them in their use even had more been made available.
Accordingly only the African Officers and 10 NCO"s of each comp recieved them. Generally these were Enfield
Percussion Rifles , supplied with belts , bullet pouches and cap pockets . All others would be required to carry
their traditionial weaponry of shield and spears . Eurpoean officers and NCO"S were issued with MH "s , bayonets
and 50 cartridge bandoliers .
cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
Saul David 1879

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 5:31 pm

The withdrawal was in full swing when Pulleine dispatched Capt R. Younghusband's company forward to cover it. At this point the N.N.C. were unsteady. Without warning some of the N.N.C. scampered down to the camp in disarray but the rest formed up at the foot of the escarpment and imposed severe fatalities on the uNokenke as they come into sight over the ridge.

The N.N.C. were in the same situation as there European counterparts, they were not used to European Warfare, and had little or no training. Many of the NNC died that day on the side of the British but they are only remembered for desertion. Maybe they themselves saw all was lost, and like the British also decided to escape the carnage.

S.D
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Jan 20, 2010 10:02 pm

S.D. I don’t think anyone on this forum doubts the bravery of the NNC.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 5:43 am

SD
First I have heard of an NNC reform, this happened where?

Regards
Back to top Go down
Saul David 1879

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Jan 21, 2010 3:43 pm

Here!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

SD
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 5:03 am

Hardly a 'reform'.
Back to top Go down
Saul David 1879

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyFri Jan 22, 2010 9:05 pm

The 3rd N.N.C. lost 18 officers and 36 N.C.O.'s, only 3 officers escaping. I do not think we lost many men as I am sure the Natal Kafirs bolted very early in the day. I must however make exception of the one Zulu company left in camp. They sat tight until the enemy closed in. Then they charged and were killed to a man. But as Umvubie would have said, they had a good fight first.

Source: A lost legionary in South Africa"

A very Brave reform.!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptySat Jan 23, 2010 1:16 am

European officers who escaped the battle of Isandlwana confirmed that some NNC elements fought hard, and only began to disperse towards the end of the battle, when European soldiers were also attempting to flee the battlefield.

E.H
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyMon Jan 25, 2010 2:46 pm

The Natal Native Contingent were led by unsympathetic officers. Most of who were called upon to fight with only their traditional spears due to insufficient time, funds and resources to equip.
Back to top Go down
robgolding

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:19 am

I realise this is an old discussion, I thought, as Im a recent member I should start somewhere. I have done some small amount of research on the NNC at Isandlwana. (Im trying to confirm if one of the NCO's is a relative).
As far as casualties are concerned 39 Officers and NCO's of the 1st Batt NNC, and 35 Officers and NCO's of the 2nd Batt NNC together with at least 400 African troops died on the battlefield that day.
It is a pity that we concentrate most of our praises on the regulars and give little regard to those colonials fighting with them.
As far as the NNC leaving the firing line is concerned, they quite frankly would have run out of ammunition and would have been of little use anyway. Besides with the withdrawal of Durnford from the right and the general withdrawal of the 24ths firing line there was little else to do, the Zulu horns were encircling and the battle was as good as lost.
It has been reported that Shepstone made a stand with approximately 60 Zulu NNC on the far side of Isandlwana. The bodies were not discovered until sometime after the battle and were difficult to distinguish from friend or foe.
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 7:40 pm

Hi Rob. Welcome to the forum.

Rob just out of interest, may I ask
Quote :
(Im trying to confirm if one of the NCO's is a relative).
The name of the person in question. ?
Back to top Go down
robgolding

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 10:10 pm

Hi Dave, Yes , nothing confimed at this stage but my grandfather spoke of a relative killed by natives in South Africa in the 1800's - the only one I can find is a Sergeant W Golding 1st Batt NNC. Unfortunately my grandfather has been dead for 30 years so cant confirm any other details. Although not a particularily common name, it appears in England, Australia, South Africa and the US.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 10:50 pm

Just out of interest.

The 1st Regiment Natal Native Contingent of three battalions (Commandant Montgomery, Major Bengough, and Captain Cherry), and five troops mounted natives
formed No. 2 Column, commanded by Lieut. -Colonel Durnford.

The 2nd Regiment Natal Native Contingent (two battalions, under Major Graves) was attached to No. 1 Column, commanded by Colonel Pearson.

The 3rd Regiment Natal Native Contingent (two battalions, under Commandant Lonsdale) was attached to No. 3 Column, commanded by Colonel Glyn, and about two hundred Natal Native Contingent were attached to No. 4 Column, commanded by Colonel Wood.

Each battalion of Native Contingent was to consist of 5 staff and 90 officers and non-commissioned officers (white), and 110 officers and non-commissioned officers and 900 privates (natives) ; the native non-commissioned officer being armed with a gun, and being a section-leader of 9 men armed with assegai and shield.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:20 pm

Is there a list of names of those that served in N.N.C.
Back to top Go down
robgolding

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Feb 24, 2010 11:29 pm

I only have the casualty rolls -

CASUALTY ROLL FOR THE ZULU AND BASUTO WARS - SOUTH AFRICA 1877-79 by I T Tavender, I think it is currently out of print.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 9:33 pm

Natal Native Contingent. This unit was formed by John Dunn.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sourced from the Campbell Collections at the University of Pietermaritzburg.

Photo: Supplied by Springbok9
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Feb 25, 2010 10:42 pm

Now that's interesting the front rankers all seem to have rifles, I thought only a few rifles were allocated to the NNC. One Rifle to every ten men. ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 12:05 am

NNC troops were not issued with sufficient firearms to compose an efficient force. Only 1 in 10 soldiers were issued with a rifle, and they were the generally old-fashioned muzzle-loading muskets rather than advanced firearms. In addition, those issued with rifles were supplied with only 4 rounds of ammunition. Most of the NNC had their traditional African spears and shields.

E.H
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 6:07 am

Hi Elizabeth
In general your correct. The purpose of the NNC was never to fight in a defensive roll (as Isandlawana). Their primary roll was as a pursuing force, once an impi was turned by the rifes of the regular force the NNC would be turned loose to inflict the maximum damages to a fleeing enemy. Sounds unpalatable but that was the defined roll. Taking that, it therefore makes sense, in a 19th century way, that they did not need guns.
Traditionally in Africa theres allways been this terrible fear of arming a black force, obviously that was again part of the rational.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyFri Feb 26, 2010 7:25 am

Thanks Elizabeth. A sensible answer for once. You must have left your legal head somewhere. (Only Joking) ??
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 10:28 pm

Natal Native Contingent early in the battle broke and fled, leaving a gap in the defence line, 300 yards (275 m) wide

This didn't happened did it??

Cheers
DB14
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 5:12 pm

I have read quite a few accounts that say it did happen. To be honest I don't think it would have just been the NNC that broke ranks.
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 5:37 pm

It didn't happen. Idea

Why would a battalion put a number of black levies in the middle
of there firing line. Also with a gap 300meters wide how did the men get back to the
camp if there flanks where exposed.

Its even mentioned in standing orders, NNC are to be no where near the front Idea

Source

How can men die better
Back to top Go down
TOWERBOY

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 11:18 pm

I have a medal to the NNC named to Lieut. J.LUYT clasp 1879 for some reason he is on the second to last page in the D. R. Forsyth medal roll book, i have nothing else about him, any info would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: NNC . Lt. J. Luyt    Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 4:32 am

Hi Towerboy .
I looked through ' For God , Queen & Colony ' by Terry Sole and found a C. Luyt in the 2 nd Batt , 3rd Regt . .
I then checked my Ebay lists and back on the 13 / 3 / 08 - 19 / 3 / 08 , Lt . J. Luyt 3rd NNC , it opened at $ 39.99 USD , sold
for $ 610 .00 USD , there were 17 Bids . The Description read '' Re - named Medal - Upright Engraved , Block or Black Capitals.
Cant read my own writing !!. I also noted I couldnt find him on the roll , But he is indeed on the second last page of the Forsyth Medal Roll . Which has him in the NNC , Rank not known . Tricky one , this will be I suspect , not sure how you will find anything on him to be honest . Suspect If anyone can I'd say Littlehand can !. 1879 Graves may also be able to help .
cheers 90th. Idea
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 7:28 am

Hi Towerboy

I have sent you a PM

Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Natal Native Contingent   Natal Native Contingent EmptySun Dec 18, 2011 2:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Natal Native Contingent
Page 1 of 1