WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu: Colour Sergeant Bourne: It's a miracle. Lieutenant John Chard: If it's a miracle, Colour Sergeant, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point 45 caliber miracle. Colour Sergeant Bourne: And a bayonet, sir, with some guts behind it.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» iSandlwana a Zulu account describing the Zulu discovery and battle
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyToday at 8:30 pm by Eddie

» Zulu War latest intellegence Hayes and Price Imperial Mounted Infantry
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyToday at 6:03 pm by Julian Whybra

» Latest news 18th January 1879 Dixon drowining Newcastle Mounted Rifles
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyToday at 6:01 pm by Julian Whybra

» Colour - Sergeant George William Mabin
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyToday at 6:01 pm by John Young

» D Martin HMS Active drowned crossing Tugela. Richard Perring John James
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyToday at 5:59 pm by gardner1879

» First across the Buffalo River. The invasion begins. 11th January 1879
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyToday at 3:51 pm by gardner1879

» 17th Lancers
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyToday at 3:48 pm by Ian Chard

» The 'other' fighting clerk - Corporal JH Mayor, N.N.C
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyToday at 3:34 pm by gardner1879

» Cricket match A and H Company names
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyToday at 1:06 pm by Herbie

» Skirmish on the 15th January 1879 3 casualties?
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyToday at 12:34 pm by Julian Whybra

» Bourne DCM
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyToday at 7:37 am by ADMIN

» Lt-Col Bengough
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyYesterday at 10:00 pm by John Young

» Quartermaster W G Morgan 2/3rd Regiment
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyYesterday at 7:05 pm by 1879graves

» Private W F Crellin 99th Regiment. The evils of Natal Rum
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyYesterday at 3:27 pm by gardner1879

» Ammunition wagon lost at Mooi river
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyYesterday at 2:57 pm by gardner1879

» 1879 "The Zulu Army" book published
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyYesterday at 2:48 pm by gardner1879

» The Buffs Stanger and Victoria Mounted Rifles January 1879
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyYesterday at 2:45 pm by gardner1879

» Lieutenant S C Alexander Paymaster 3rd Battalion 1st Regiment Natal Native Contingent
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyYesterday at 2:20 pm by gardner1879

» W. Pack 90th Regiment , Bullers servant J Pegg , G Burge , T Atkins , J Merryweather , T Morton , T Emery , E Smith 1/13th Regiment 1878 action
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyYesterday at 12:57 pm by 90th

» Civil Surgeon Samuel Thomas Gordon Army Medical Department
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyYesterday at 12:15 pm by rai

» 1878 Map of Zululand Jeppe
Interest in the Zulu War EmptyYesterday at 1:41 am by 90th

» Private Nathan Billings 1/24th Regiment
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySun Feb 05, 2023 9:49 pm by Bill8183

» Christmas for the armed forces in SA 1878
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySun Feb 05, 2023 7:14 pm by John Young

» Frontier Light Horse , Defences at Utrecht and Colonel Wood's and Capt Maud's accident
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySun Feb 05, 2023 6:17 pm by gardner1879

» Maritzburg Hunt Coghill Law Lawrence Daly Moran Turtle
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySun Feb 05, 2023 8:32 am by John Young

» Regulations for Boer forces in the AZW
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySat Feb 04, 2023 11:39 pm by gardner1879

» Sports day at Utrecht 90th Regiment and Royal Artillery soldiers details shown
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySat Feb 04, 2023 10:58 pm by gardner1879

» Private 45/568 H Purcell 2/3rd Regiment
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySat Feb 04, 2023 10:50 pm by gardner1879

» Military Movements Captain Himes' Pioneers
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySat Feb 04, 2023 10:36 pm by gardner1879

» Private 49 W Peacock Private William Sullivan alias William Swaine 2/3rd Regiment horse thieves
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySat Feb 04, 2023 6:35 pm by gardner1879

» Colonel Colenbrandur
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySat Feb 04, 2023 3:39 pm by Kenny

» Adams Revolver Advert
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySat Feb 04, 2023 11:19 am by gardner1879

» Colonel Weatherley and the Border Lancer's
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySat Feb 04, 2023 10:57 am by gardner1879

» Colonial Volunteer unit locations November 1878
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySat Feb 04, 2023 10:54 am by gardner1879

» Natal Native Levies clothing issue Solomon Raw Vause
Interest in the Zulu War EmptySat Feb 04, 2023 10:51 am by gardner1879

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
The Missionaries The Zulus & The British Empire in Southern Africa / Full Documentary.
Top posters
90th
Interest in the Zulu War Bar_leftInterest in the Zulu War BarInterest in the Zulu War Bar_right 
Frank Allewell
Interest in the Zulu War Bar_leftInterest in the Zulu War BarInterest in the Zulu War Bar_right 
littlehand
ADMIN
1879graves
Julian Whybra
gardner1879
rusteze
John Young
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
Top posting users this month
gardner1879
Julian Whybra
90th
rai
John Young
Eddie
Frank Allewell
ADMIN
steve cheney
1879graves
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Adding to the Library
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Keywords
Franklin Police Roll john Isandlwana Russell rifles anstey smith 2022 williams Natal Durnford horse james Prince brown harford martini henry taylor Mounted 24th Jones drift George

Interest in the Zulu War

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
24th

24th

Interest in the Zulu War Empty
PostSubject: Interest in the Zulu War   Interest in the Zulu War EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 10:02 pm

May I ask how Individual members became interested in the history of the Zulu war?
For me it was the film that captivated me.
But I remember feeling a little disappointed, when I discovered the film was not all factual. For example Hook was nothing like he was portrayed in the film, and I believe it actually caused some distress to some of his ancestors. Like I have stated I have a great interest in this subject and, very much look forward to entering discussions.
Back to top Go down
sas1

sas1

PostSubject: Re: Interest in the Zulu War   Interest in the Zulu War EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 10:20 pm

Welcome 24th.
Yes, it was the film that got me interested; I have loads of books on the subject, but the trouble is although they are written by various authors they all read very much the same.
Ian Knight is the most leading authority, when it comes to the Zulu war subject and he has written many books. I not sure if you know but it was the film that started Ian Knights Interest in this subject.
Just out of interest we have a member onboard who locates and photographs the graves of those that took part in the AZW. Member name (1879Graves) has a look in the forum titled
(The ones History books forgot about)

sas1
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Interest in the Zulu War   Interest in the Zulu War EmptyWed Mar 25, 2009 10:49 pm

Sas1. Thanks very much for the Welcome, I think the film done it for most of us.
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Interest in the Zulu War   Interest in the Zulu War EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Hi 24th

I lived in South Africa as a boy and went to Isandlwana on a school trip. This got my interest started. My interest now is finding as much information on everyone who took part in the Anglo-Zulu War of 1879 as possible, with the main interest in finding graves and memorials all over the UK.

Welcome to the Forum.
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Interest in the Zulu War   Interest in the Zulu War EmptyFri Mar 27, 2009 9:18 pm

Graves 1879 So you’re the only one who wasn’t inspired by the film. Did you live far from the battlefields, or was it an overnight stay. Has Isandlwana changed much since your visit as a boy?
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: Interest in the Zulu War   Interest in the Zulu War EmptySat Mar 28, 2009 8:00 pm

Hi 24th

I lived in the Transvaal, so we were miles away. I went when I was a boy aged 10, I am now in my forties, so unable to tell you if it has changed since I was there. I now wished it was an overnight stay, what I can remember, we only stayed a few hours and had a good look around. I do remember to this day, a big black man telling me that they would come back and do it all again someday.
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
durnfordthescapegoat

durnfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Interest in the Zulu War   Interest in the Zulu War EmptyTue Mar 31, 2009 11:17 am

I don't think the film is that big a deal in SA. I got interested in the film because I was interested in local history and obvioulsy Zulu and colonial history. I do love the film though but it was the other way round for me. Must be a South African thing.
Back to top Go down

Interest in the Zulu War
Page 1 of 1