WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
supperstitions ? EmptyYesterday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
supperstitions ? EmptyYesterday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
supperstitions ? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
supperstitions ? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
supperstitions ? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm by Matthew Turl

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
supperstitions ? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
supperstitions ? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
supperstitions ? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
supperstitions ? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
supperstitions ? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
supperstitions ? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
supperstitions ? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
supperstitions ? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
supperstitions ? EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
supperstitions ? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
supperstitions ? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
supperstitions ? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
supperstitions ? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
supperstitions ? EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
supperstitions ? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
supperstitions ? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
supperstitions ? EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
supperstitions ? EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
supperstitions ? EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
supperstitions ? EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
supperstitions ? EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
supperstitions ? EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
supperstitions ? EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
supperstitions ? EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
supperstitions ? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
supperstitions ? EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
supperstitions ? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
supperstitions ? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
supperstitions ? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
supperstitions ? EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
supperstitions ? Bar_leftsupperstitions ? Barsupperstitions ? Bar_right 
Dash
Hobbes
Bill8183
SRB1965
ADMIN
jgregory
John Young
1879graves
Matthew Turl
New topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
supperstitions ? EmptyYesterday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
supperstitions ? EmptyYesterday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
supperstitions ? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm by Hobbes

» 100,000 posts!
supperstitions ? EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
supperstitions ? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
supperstitions ? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
supperstitions ? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
supperstitions ? EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
supperstitions ? EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

supperstitions ?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

supperstitions ? Empty
PostSubject: supperstitions ?   supperstitions ? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 8:22 am

Hi all

As everyone knows, the Zulu did not attack Isandhlwana on 22 for reasons of supperstitions;

So why they attacked Pearson that day?

Salute

Pascal
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

supperstitions ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: supperstitions ?   supperstitions ? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 9:50 am

A question Ive posed often, the only answer Ive ever had that makes sense is that they were goaded into the attack, probably a close paralel to isandlwana and Raw.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

supperstitions ? Empty
PostSubject: Superstitions    supperstitions ? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 9:56 am

Hi Springbok .
You may be correct , and If I remember correctly it was the Auxiliaries with their white officers that stumbled upon the zulu
even though they were plainly seen massing on ' Wombane ' from memory . Happy to be corrected !.
cheers 90th. Salute
Back to top Go down

supperstitions ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: supperstitions ?   supperstitions ? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 11:06 am

Yes Springbok9 , maybe if they were NNC does not fall over, the Zulu left would spend the Pearson column to attack the next day ...

Salute

Pascal
Back to top Go down

supperstitions ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: supperstitions ?   supperstitions ? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 11:09 am

Yes Gary, it's like to Isandhlwana, it is whites who have searched La Castagne ...

Salute

Pascal
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

supperstitions ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: supperstitions ?   supperstitions ? EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 10:10 pm

Thought it might be worth posting this. high lighted in Yellow.

The Zulu's were discovered advancing. Not sitting down and waiting.

"Enclosure A. THE ACTION AT INYEZANE.  COLONEL PEARSON'S OFFICIAL REPORT.
From Colonel Pearson, Commanding No. 1 Column to the Military Secretary to His Excellency the High Commissioner.  

Etshowe  Zululand, January 23, 1879.

"SIR,
    I HAVE the honour to report my arrival here at 10 A.M. this day, with the column under my command, and, I am happy to state, without a casualty of any kind—except, of course, those which occurred in the engagement of yesterday, of which I have already duly informed you by telegram, despatched yesterday evening.
   Yesterday morning, the mounted troops which preceded the column under Major Barrow, had crossed the Inyezane River—which is about four miles from our camping ground on the previous night—when I received a note from him to say that he had selected a fairly open space for a halting place, which he had carefully vedetted. I at once rode forward, to reconnoitre, and found the ground covered with more bush than seemed desirable for an outspan ; but as there was no water between the Inyezane and the places where we bivouacked last night—four miles further on, and with several steep hills to climb—I decided upon outspanning for a couple of hours, to feed and rest the oxen, and to enable the men to breakfast.
    It was then just eight o'clock, and I was in the act of giving directions about the pickets and scouts required for our protection, and the wagons had already begun to park, when the leading company of the Native Contingent, who were scouting in front—personally directed by Captain Hart, Staff Officer to the Officer commanding that Regiment — discovered the enemy advancing rapidly over the ridges in our front, and making for the clumps of bush around us.
    The Zulus at once opened a heavy fire upon the men of the company who had shown themselves in the open, and they lost one officer, four non-commissioned officers, and three men killed, almost immediately after the firing began
. Unfortunately, owing to scarcely any of the officers or non-commissioned officers of the Native Contingent being able to speak Kafir, and some not even English (there are several foreigners among them), it has been found most difficult to communicate orders, and it is to be feared that these men who lost their lives by gallantly holding their ground did so under the impression that it was the duty of the contingent to fight in the first line, instead of scouting only, and, after an engagement, to pursue.
   I must add, however, that every exertion has been made by Major Graves, Commandant Nettleton, and Captain Hart, to explain to both the officers and men the duties expected of them. These officers, indeed, have been indefatigable in their exertions.
   As soon as the firing commenced, I directed the Naval Brigade, under Commander Campbell, Lieutenant Lloyd's division of guns, and Captain Jackson's and Lieutenant Martin's companies of the Buffs, to take up a position on a knoll close by the road (and under which they were halted), and from whence the whole of the Zulu advances could be seen and dealt with.
   Meanwhile, the wagons continued to park, and as soon as the length of the column had thereby sufficiently decreased, I directed the two companies of the Buffs, which were guarding the wagons about half way down the column, to clear the enemy out of the bush, which had been already shelled, and fired into with rockets and musketry, by the troops on the knoll above-mentioned. These companies, led by Captains Harrison and Wyld, and guided by Captain Macgregor, D.A.Q.M.G., whom I sent back for this purpose, moved out in excellent order, and quickly getting into skirmishing order, brought their right shoulders gradually forward, and drove the Zulus before them back into the open, which again exposed them to the rockets, shells, and musketry from the knoll.
   This movement released the main body of the Mounted Infantry and Volunteers, who, with the Company of Royal Engineers, had remained near the Inyezane, to protect that portion of the convoy of wagons. -The Royal Engineers happened to be working at the drift when the engagement began.
   When thus released, both the Engineers and Mounted Troops, under Captain Wynne and Major Barrow, respectively moved forward with the infantry. Skirmishers on the left of the latter, the whole being supported by a half-company of the Buffs and a half-company of the 99th Regiment, sent out by Lieutenant-Colonel Welman, 99th Regiment, who with the rear of the column, was now coming up.
    About this time the enemy was observed by Commander Campbell lo be trying to outflank our left, and he offered to go with a portion of the Naval Brigade to drive away a body of Zulus who had got possession of a kraal about 400 yards from the knoll, and which was helping their turning movement. The Naval Brigade was supported by a party of the officers and non-commissioned officers of the Native Contingent, under Captain Hart, who were posted on high ground on the left of the Etshowe Road, and who checked the Zulus from making any further attempt on our left.
   Shortly afterwards, when the kraal was evacuated, Commander Campbell suggested that the enemy should be driven off still further, to which I at once assented, and I desired Colonel Parnell to take Captain Forster's company, the Buffs, which up to this time had remained at the foot of the knoll, and assist the Naval Brigade to attack some heights beyond the kraal, upon which a considerable body of Zulus were still posted.
   The action was completely successful, and the Zulus now fled in all directions, both from our front and left, and before the skirmishers on the right.
    I now ordered the column to be reformed, and at noon we resumed our march, and bivouacked for the night on the ground described in the first part of my letter.
   The last shot I fired was about half-past 9 A.M. I enclose a list of the killed and wounded, and, in addition, I beg to state that both Colonel Parnell and myself had our horses shot under us.
The loss of the enemy I can, of course, only approximately give. By all accounts, however — and I have taken every pains to verify and confirm the statements made—upwards of 300 Zulus were killed. The wounded, if there were any, were either carried off or hid in the bush, as only two were found. The dead were lying about in heaps of seven and eight, and in one place ten dead bodies were found close together. At another 35 were counted within a very small space.
    As far as I can ascertain, the numbers opposed to us were about 4,000, composed of the Umxapu, Umdhlanefu, and the Ingulubi Regiments, and some 650 men of the district.
    I had already been warned, through Mr. Fynney, Border Agent, and other sources, that I might expect to be attacked at any moment after crossing the Umsindusi River, but the number of Zulus stated to be in the neighbourhood was estimated at about 8,000.
    All the commanding officers speak highly of the behaviour of their men during the engagement, and of the coolness of the officers and the pains taken by them to control the expenditure of ammunition.
   This I can personally vouch for as regards troops on the knoll, as I was present with them the whole time. The practice made by Lieutenant Loyd's guns, and by the rockets of the Naval Brigade, directed by Mr. Cotter, boatswain of H.M.S. "Active," was  excellent, and no doubt contributed materially to the success of the day.
   Major Barrow particularly wishes me to mention the steadiness and good conduct under fire of the Natal Mounted Volunteer Corps. Those engaged were the Victoria and Stanger Mounted Rifles and the Natal Hussars.
    Of the commanding officers themselves I have already, spoken.
    From the officers of 017 staff, Colonel Walker J.B., Captain MacGregor, and Lieutenant knight, the Buffs,—my orderly officer—I have received every assistance, not only during yesterday's engagement, but ever since they joined me.
   I cannot speak too highly of the energy and attention to their duties of Staff-Surgeon Norbury, R.N., my Senior Medical Officer, and his assistants. The field hospital was established in a convenient place, almost immediately after the firing began, and the wounded received every attention.
  Lastly, I wish to report the good example shown to the Native Pioneers by Captain Beddoes and Lieutenant Porrington, who, throughout our march, under the direction of Lieutenant Main, R.E., repaired our road in front, and during the engagement remained on the knoll, fighting rifle in hand.
   I must apologise for the great length of this letter ; but as the present is the first campaign of British troops against the Zulus, and as the Natal natives were being tested as soldiers for the first time, I have purposely gone into details. Should we again be engaged with the enemy there will, of course, be no further necessity for describing everything so minutely.
  To-morrow morning I propose sending two companies of the Buffs, two companies of the Native Contingent, and a small number of mounted men, to reinforce Lieutenant-Colonel Ely, 99th Regiment, who, with three companies of his regiment, left behind for the purpose, is now on his way to Etshowe, with a convoy of 60 commissariat wagons.
   I have written to request Colonel Ely not to advance beyond the Umsindusi till reinforced.
  On Saturday, Major Coates starts for the Tugela with 50 empty wagons, escorted by four companies infantry, two native companies, and a few troopers to bring up more stores.
  I enclose a couple of sketches of the ground on which the engagement took place, made by Captain McGregor and Lieutenant Knight, from memory."
Back to top Go down

supperstitions ? Empty
PostSubject: Re: supperstitions ?   supperstitions ? EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 7:38 am

Hi all

Very good, but it's not because they were moving they intended to attack ...

Salute

Pascal
Back to top Go down

supperstitions ?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: GENERAL DISCUSSION AREA-
Jump to: