WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyToday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm by Matthew Turl

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

» How many started?
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:10 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's Bar_leftThe Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's BarThe Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's Bar_right 
Dash
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's Bar_leftThe Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's BarThe Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's Bar_right 
Hobbes
Bill8183
SRB1965
jgregory
John Young
ADMIN
1879graves
Matthew Turl
New topics
» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyToday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm by Hobbes

» 100,000 posts!
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's

Go down 
+4
24th
Saul David 1879
90th
John
8 posters
AuthorMessage
John

John

The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's Empty
PostSubject: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptySun Jun 28, 2009 8:36 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I have a copy of the print above (The Battle of Isandhlwana.) By Fripp, for some years, and never really look at the detail. However today I had a good look at it through my magnifying glass. Must say the expressions on some of the soldiers faces, must have really captivated how it was during the battle, some cool and ready, and others terrified.

Now I know it was a dramatisation of the real event, but some consultation must have been done. Now please correct me if I’m wrong, but is the painting showing Popes last stand.

And who are the two men on horseback ,supposed to be in the background ,cutting their way through with their sabres, wearing light-blue uniforms.

All replies welcome.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: pope"s last stand   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 1:18 am

hi john,
i think you are correct, it is based on G COMPANY , pope"s command , the stony faced soldier with the head bandage i believe is COLOUR SGT WOLFE. i also have a large print framed and hanging in the bedroom !!, i dont think the wife is overly impressed !!.

cheers 90th.

p.s. the people on horseback , loosely based on MELVILLE and COGHILL i would expect, or just showing how some would have attempted to flee.
Back to top Go down
Saul David 1879

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 7:34 pm

The two in the back ground could Possibly members of irregular cavalry units such as the Natal Mounted Police.who wore light blue uniforms.

I could be wrong, but i would have thought that Coghill would have been on his way to Rorkes Drift.
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 8:10 pm

I have been taking a good look at my copy of the Battle of Isandhlwana, since Johns posted this topic. If you look on the left hand side, where the wagons are located, there is a mounted coloured gentleman wearing khaki uniform and a hat, firing a revolver. Would he have been with the NNC?
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 8:30 pm

Just out of interest. "Charles Fripp – who painted the famous ‘Last Stand of the 24th at Isandlwana’ painting – covered the war as a special artists for The Graphic; on 3 July he was busy sketching the skirmish at the White Mfolozi when he failed to hear a shouted order to withdraw.
When Lord William Beresford rode past, soaked in the blood of the injured Sergeant he had just snatched to safety, an altercation broke out which prompted Beresford to dismount and square up to Fripp with his fists! The two had to be dragged apart by Fripp’s fellow correspondents."

Source: azwrs
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
old historian2

old historian2

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 9:31 pm

24th the only one I can find with a similar uniform to that gent in the painting is from the Natal Native Horse.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Hope it helps..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 9:45 pm

I've gone and made sure by looking at the real thing. The mounted men in the background appear to be officers in blue patrol jackets. I think the artist's gunsmoke is playing tricks on your eyes. Or you have got a poor reproduction of the painting.

The central figure of the N.C.O. is a Lance-Sergeant rather than a Colour-Sergeant, as he is wearing white chevrons, N.C.O.'s who were substantive Sergeants and above wore gold chervons. Two possibles in 2nd/24th killed at Isandlwana Lance-Sergeants 25B/1217 Joseph Haigh & 2nd/24th 1755 James McCaffery.

The figure on the left with the wideawake hat and pistol has a white, rather than an African, left hand, I surmise he might be a wagon-conductor, he's not obviously mounted, by-the-way.

Yes I agree it is meant to be the 2nd/24th, because of the inclusion of Regimental Colour in the group. 1st/24th's Regimental Colour was on the Lines-of-Communication at the time of the battle.

Isandlwana
Back to top Go down
old historian2

old historian2

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 10:03 pm

Isandlwana. Thanks very much for the informative reply. You certainly know your subject.

Your probably right about a poor reproduction. I got my print from the Barking market.

I just hope we don’t start discussing the Battle of Rorke’s Drift Print, as I got that one from the same place.

I must get down to the National Army Museum. Have they still got that enormous painting of Ulundi?

Thanks for your reply.
Back to top Go down
Saul David 1879

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 10:27 pm

Isandlwana. Your reply is out-standing, I take it you have Studied the AZW for many years. Are you by any chance related to someone who took part in the AZW 1879

S.D
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 10:43 pm

All about. Charles Fripp

He was influenced by his father, the landscape artist George A Fripp, and he studied art in Nuremberg and at the Royal Academy of Munich. He is primarily known as an illustrator, in which capacity he worked for The Graphic from 1875 onwards, and the Daily Graphic from 1890 until 1900. Fripp spent many years in southern Africa covering the Ninth Kaffir, Zulu, Boer (1881 and 1899) and Matabele Wars; he was also 'special artist' in the 1885 campaign in Sudan, and covered a number of foreign wars including the Sino-Japanese conflict of 1894-95 and the Philippine insurrection of 1899. He also held a commission in the Artist's Rifles for 13 years. A number of his original sketches and water-colours survive but he is chiefly remembered for his painting 'The Last Stand at Isandhlula (Isandhlwana)'. (National Army Museum) which was exhibited at the Royal Academy in 1885. His only other Academy picture was his 1886 canvas, 'The attack on General Sir John McNeil's force near Suakim' (Duke of Edinburgh's Royal Regiment). The former picture resulted from his activities in the Zulu War which he recounted in an article published in 1900. He arrived at Durban on March 20th, 1879 and joined Lord Chelmsford's column for the relief of Etshowe. Fripp witnessed an attack on the British camp on April 2nd, and Chelmsford's successful relief of Pearson's force at Etshowe. Later he was in the column that discovered the body of the Prince Imperial which he vividly described, and his final account was of the battle at Ulundi which he sketched as he lay on the leather roof of an ammunition cart. He wrote: "Now and again a bullet sighed overhead as I watched the beautiful advance of the enemy rapidly spreading over the undulations, disappearing and reappearing as the inequalities were traversed. The landscape in the Isandhlwana picture was drawn, no doubt, on the spot. Similarly the Suakim picture was a result of his participation with General Graham's second expedition from which he submitted many sketches which appeared in the Graphic.

Nice one Isandlwana. I can see your going to useful. Thats if you don't mind sharing your knowledge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 10:52 pm

S.D.,

I have been "A student of the Anglo-Zulu War" since 1964, after seeing a certain film.

Through my recent acquired family history knowledge I can say I'm related to at least three persons who fought in the conflict in 1879, two of whom I discovered only this month whilst delving through the family tree, and they came as a surprise to me!

OH2,

The National Army Museum has a fine panoramic painting of the Battle of Ulundi by Adolphe Yvon, it was exhibited a few years back as it should have been seen on a curved mount.

Isandlwana
Back to top Go down
Saul David 1879

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 11:09 pm

That’s a long time, your knowledge must be endless. I think littlehand is right. Your knowledge will be useful.

S.D
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jun 29, 2009 11:18 pm

S.D.,

Extensive, but never endless!

Isandlwana
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 6:32 am

The 24th regimental colours shown in the painting. Are these the colours that disappeared? If so are there any statements from survivors, as to what might have happen to it.
Were they taken by the Zulu, Burned?
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: last stand   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 10:10 am

hi isandlwana,

I agree looking at my print the chap seems more white than black ( like someone else i know , sorry ) , a wagon conductor seems the best bet, i can say, i dont think i have noticed him before, the others mentioned ,yes, it is one of those works the more you look , the more you seem to find !!.. but mine is in the bedroom as the wife wants it out of the way and not on view. can you let us know who you are related to, im sure we are all keen to know.

cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 6:14 pm

90th,

One relative @ k.i.a. Isandlwana.

Two distant relatives: brothers; one at Ulundi with the 1st/24th draft, the other at Gingindlovu with the Boadicea.

Little Hand,

The 2nd/24th's colours were lost, only a Crown & Colour-pole were ever recovered.

Isandlwana
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyTue Jun 30, 2009 10:55 pm

I have been looking at my bad copy of the Battle of Isandhlwana again.

On the Right, there are three Zulus. One his holding a Rifle in the air, and the other two are kneeling besides a Dead Soldier.
Are they removing items, from the body or are they about to carryout the ritual of disembowelling, or have they already carried out the ritual. On my copy it actually looks like the Zulu has his hand inside the soldier’s stomach.

Didn't realise how much information was in the painting. Especially after Isandlwana put names to the faces.
Back to top Go down
Saul David 1879

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 10:49 am

It appears I to have a bad copy. I think they are removing items of clothing, Which was another custom.

S.D
Back to top Go down
sas1

sas1

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyWed Jul 01, 2009 10:51 pm

Can anyone tell me where I obtain a copy of this painting.

sas1
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: isandlwana by fripp.   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 7:47 am

hi sas1.

Fripp"s print is often on e-bay uk , or, go to google and type in isandlwana print, there should be plenty of places where you can obtain it, dont be in a hurry , if you do your homework you may find a good deal. i paid $ 90.00 U.S.
from art.com, i was to hasty. the size of the print will determine how much you will pay. good hunting, let us know how you go.

cheers 90th.

forgot to add , if you go to our home page scroll down till you come to LINKS TO THE ZULU WAR. click on it, you will then see " art prints of the zulu war, they will have it and many others , but search around you will find a bargain.

90th.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyThu Jul 02, 2009 9:07 pm

sas1

Heres a link. I paid more than that form my.. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Got to go late for work.. (Again)
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: fripps print   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 1:10 pm

hi sas1

here is an absolute bargain, i paid double for mine!!!.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
[url=url]url[/url]
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: isandlwana by fripp   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 1:17 pm

hi all.

the price works out at about 22 quid, not including postage, but it is fantastic value, not sure how long the sale will last.
good luck if any body is interested.

cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 1:37 pm

Excellent value. But with the frame it would cost. Total: £ 94.17
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
90th

90th

PostSubject: isandlwana by fripp   The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 1:45 pm

hi pete.

works out expensive if you buy it framed, i had mine framed after i recieved the print, there is a market on weekends near me, and they
framed it for only 40.00 aust, im sure you would find a place similar in your neck of the woods, i still cant believe how cheap it is. I noticed the sale finishes saturday.

cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down

The Battle of Isandhlwana by Fripp's
Page 1 of 1