WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyYesterday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyYesterday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm by Matthew Turl

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Have we reached the top of the market? Bar_leftHave we reached the top of the market? BarHave we reached the top of the market? Bar_right 
Dash
Have we reached the top of the market? Bar_leftHave we reached the top of the market? BarHave we reached the top of the market? Bar_right 
Hobbes
Bill8183
SRB1965
John Young
ADMIN
jgregory
Tig Van Milcroft
Rob Herrick
New topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyYesterday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyYesterday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm by Hobbes

» 100,000 posts!
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
Have we reached the top of the market? EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Have we reached the top of the market?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
SergioD

SergioD

Have we reached the top of the market? Empty
PostSubject: Have we reached the top of the market?   Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 3:14 pm

The recent auctions have reset the bar re medal prices. At Bonhams a 17th Lancers SAGS would have cost you £1800 after fees. this time last year it would have cost you around £800.
As for the more unusual medals the intombi survivor medal was $40K plus.

But when you see a standard SAGS to a Private in the 2/4th a regiment that was predominantly on out post duty during the war at £895 with a well known dealer - if it sells then the time has come to give up collecting SAGS and revisit your insurance valuations.

I hope this bubble bursts soon - because whilst I have stepped out of the frame and focused on filling gaps in other wars - I will not be able to sit on the sidelines forever and that scares me..

It is a crazy and frustrating time for us SAGS medal collectors !!
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Have we reached the top of the market?   Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyTue Mar 29, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi Sergio
I think its a sign of the times with the world wide financial instability. The markets are giving no return, Gold is at the bottom and property is to expensive for the average player. Ive noticed exactly the same trends in items my wife and I collect, people looking for a haven for the cash to get a return worth having.
The debate of course is really is it a bubble or a longer term issue?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
intombe

PostSubject: Re: Have we reached the top of the market?   Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 12:16 am

Hi Guys,
Yes, the SAGS medals and other militaria/artefacts associated with the Zulu war have gone up in price considerably during the past two years. I think that the high end or premium items will always fetch a good price. I know that we are not talking about the same league as the Victoria Cross but when I was 12 years old a world record was set for such a medal at 18,000 pounds sterling. Look at the prices now! The Zulu war has always been regarded with great interest, more so than most campaigns and we should all be able to figure out why. I collect anything related to the AZW and as the years have gone by, my tastes have been more discerning and I follow the maxim which is "buy the best that one can afford". A serious collector will always do well long term with dollar-cost averaging spread among his or her purchases. Dealers globally have expressed a dearth in SAGS medal inventory. Frank mentions gold. If you can purchase bullion ( gold or silver) at the right price ie with a minimal added premium and purchase a little on a regular basis then your average cost becomes a good base investment. Then you can divest yourself of the same bullion when it suits you.
I am very confident of the continuing high prices for SAGS except that the low end items might fluctuate except that long term the prices will ease upwards.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Have we reached the top of the market ?    Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 1:14 am

I dont collect many other medals except the SAGS , although due to their increased popularity, therefore a massive increase in price , I like Sergio have quite possibly bought my last one ! , I have purchased 3 medals from the Afghan war , higher end of the market , I always see medal prices when checking the dealers sites , there arent any other campaign medals that have simply exploded in price , as have the SAGS , the other campaigns are always fairly steady , The Afghan , especially those dealing with the battle of Maiwand have increased in price , but other campaigns are pretty steady . It chaps is just that several well heeled people are hoovering them up , and happy to pay exhorbitant prices to do so ! , who knows ... Mick Jagger or someone of the same ilk may have become an enthusiast ! , if so , I hope he joins here ! Joker Joker . I'm actually thinking of selling 3 of my SAGS certainly while I can get a massive return to the AUD $ . I may need to contact Justin from Jagermedals Shocked
90th Very Happy
Back to top Go down
intombe

PostSubject: Re: Have we reached the top of the market?   Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 2:03 am

I might test the market myself by selling a few SAGS medals. The prices for assegais, iwisas and Zulu shields are also getting up there. I think the spark that caused the explosion in prices was the David Smith auction a couple of years ago. This was a very highly publicised event and pulled a host of interested parties from all over the world.
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Have we reached the top of the market?   Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 2:47 am

So where does it leave collectors?. Is it not a real symptom of
these uncertain times globally!. a steady nerve might be the
answer, unless financial considerations are pressing!. the truth
is that people will always put a premium on courage,, history
tells us than medals from early victorious campaigns are ever
appreciating, ie, Waterloo, Trafalgar. are we really saying the
all consuming interest we have in the Anglo Zulu War campaign
is waning and might even die within the next one or two
generations?. history tells us that brave deeds and valour live
for evermore...who would not want to keep even a tiny piece
of that.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Have we reached the top f the market    Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 3:23 am

Hi Xhosa
I sure it's the opposite to be honest , interest regarding all things from the AZW is certainly not waning , for the prices of Medals to more than double in a shade under two years , Assegais , Knobkerries and the like , are also increasing in price quite dramatically , I remember Ian Knight saying to me not that long ago , you could pick up a Knobkerry , in any Antique shop in the UK back in the 80's for a Tenner ! , certainly not the case nowadays . Shocked Shocked . For the Collectors of anything AZW'ish of which I'm certainly one , patience will indeed need be a virtue , along with a steady nerve , but I doubt the prices will lower any time soon . As I said earlier , several Campaigns bearing medals haven't increased at anywhere near the same rate as has the SAGS , for instance , medals for the Campaigns in India , China , Egypt , lower end Afghan campaign etc may have increased a little , but I think it's safe to say , certainly nowhere near the rate as have the SAGS in the last two years or less ! Shocked .
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
SergioD

SergioD

PostSubject: Re: Have we reached the top of the market?   Have we reached the top of the market? EmptyWed Mar 30, 2016 9:30 am

Indeed - as 90th says there is certainly a premium on AZW medals at the moment. So the SAGS to 368 Private W. Catterall, 2/4th Foot (a regiment that had limited action during the war) is on sale at £895. Compare this to my last two purchases of an Egypt Abu Klea group with LS&GC to a private in the 2nd KRRC (who had close to 50% casualties at Abu Klea) for £995 and a Sutlej Medal for Aliwal to a private in the 16th lancers (who distinguished themselves by repeated charges of the Sikh guns and infantry suffering significant casualties) at £600. The price rise would appear to be very specific to AZW.

Like everyone on this site I am passionate about this particular war and no doubt will eventually give in and try and add to my collection - but I have recently been driven by these prices to look at other actions Maiwand (so no doubt 90th will be outbidding me again) and Abu Klea - both incredibly interesting campaigns and battles - good investments , interesting research - but they just don't ignite the passion they way the AZW war does.

Hopefully things will calm down but with that 2/4th medal at that price its hard to see when. I really cant see the value or the upside at these prices and will content myself to doing some serious research on the medals I own and continuing my work on the 17th Lancers database. So no more SAGS purchases for me ......unless a 17th Lancers is for sale lol!!

SergioD

Back to top Go down

Have we reached the top of the market?
Page 1 of 1