WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Zulu Dawn Lt. Melvill: “We come here by the orders of the Great Queen Victoria, Queen of all Africa.”

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Pte John Williams, survivor of Isandlwana
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyToday at 1:52 pm by 90th

» Walter higginsons statement
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyYesterday at 7:31 pm by Frank Allewell

» Ian Knight Questions and answers
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyMon Aug 02, 2021 8:45 am by Julian Whybra

» Gunner 1448 William Bibby, Royal Artillery, 6th Bde. M Battery
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyFri Jul 30, 2021 6:13 pm by SteveL

» Robert Gordon Wolrige-Gordon 2nd Lieutenant 94th
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 1:55 pm by 90th

» Deputy Inspector-General George Bell Murray
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 12:50 am by ADMIN

» Surgeon Major Henry Lamb
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyThu Jul 29, 2021 12:28 am by ADMIN

» Lieutenant Richard Hawes MacCarthy, 2nd/4th Regiment
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyWed Jul 28, 2021 10:44 pm by ADMIN

» 24th Regiment Pioneers
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Jul 27, 2021 6:20 pm by ADMIN

» Henry Berry
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptySun Jul 25, 2021 7:35 pm by gardner1879

» Devon Connection.
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptySun Jul 25, 2021 5:34 pm by 1879graves

» Sir Lionel McMahon 58th Regiment.
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptySun Jul 25, 2021 4:55 pm by 1879graves

» B Company 1/24th Regimental Records
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptySun Jul 25, 2021 4:08 pm by gardner1879

» Return from Zululand Private LETHBRIDGE and Corporal BERRY
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptySun Jul 25, 2021 5:00 am by Celticphred

» Alexander Gordon Cumming Skene.
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptySat Jul 24, 2021 7:53 pm by 1879graves

» Could it have been an even bigger disaster?
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyThu Jul 22, 2021 8:46 am by Frank Allewell

» New Book with Zulu War Connection
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyMon Jul 19, 2021 6:06 am by 90th

» ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptySun Jul 18, 2021 2:30 pm by aussie inkosi

» The Zulu dead at Isandlwana
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 5:05 pm by SRB1965

» J Brazier 1/24 foot 1877 - 78 bar
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyFri Jul 16, 2021 6:47 am by 90th

» New Members Welcome.
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyThu Jul 15, 2021 8:53 am by Drummer Boy 14

» Zululand population 1879?
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 7:44 pm by Altamont

» Melvill and Coghill Victoria Cross query
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 6:33 pm by SRB1965

» Yet another Hill of the Sphinx thread
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyMon Jul 12, 2021 6:59 am by 90th

» Zulu War Chess Set
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyFri Jul 09, 2021 10:49 am by Darto

» Joshua Harrod - Which Battles
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyThu Jul 08, 2021 5:30 pm by 1879graves

» Zulu War to Boer war. Those who served in both.
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyWed Jul 07, 2021 6:35 pm by Rory Reynolds

» Lance Sergeant Armstrong Victoria Mounted Rifles
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyWed Jul 07, 2021 6:24 pm by Rory Reynolds

» You tube Video "Fredrick Hitch"
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Jul 06, 2021 11:53 am by aussie inkosi

» Prince Imperial visited
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyMon Jul 05, 2021 1:47 am by 90th

» Isandlwana Casualty - John William Jones Davies
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptySun Jul 04, 2021 10:50 am by ADMIN

» Colonel W. P. Collingwood
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyWed Jun 23, 2021 10:50 pm by John Young

» (Lieut: R. F. Westmacott. 77th. Foot.)
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Jun 22, 2021 10:35 pm by ADMIN

» HARRY WILLIAM DAVIS,
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyMon Jun 21, 2021 6:49 am by aussie inkosi

» 90th foot sgt T. Collins 214
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptySun Jun 20, 2021 2:23 am by 90th

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Walking the battlefield of Kambula
Top posters
90th
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. Bar_leftHenry William Longcast, Interpreter. BarHenry William Longcast, Interpreter. Bar_right 
Frank Allewell
Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. Bar_leftHenry William Longcast, Interpreter. BarHenry William Longcast, Interpreter. Bar_right 
littlehand
ADMIN
1879graves
rusteze
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
John
Mr M. Cooper
Julian Whybra
Top posting users this month
Frank Allewell
90th
WeekendWarrior
Bobby Thomson
Julian Whybra
Danny1960
Most active topics
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable.1
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.5
Durnford was he capable. 4
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
The missing five hours.
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Adding to the Library
The ammunition question
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
Durnford was he capable.5
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Keywords
Mounted harford spalding Natal melvill Forbes james zulu henry john Police taylor martini George drift smith horse Prince carbineers Durnford payne Russell 24th Franklin Isandlwana Woolfryes

Henry William Longcast, Interpreter.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
John Young

John Young

Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. Empty
PostSubject: Henry William Longcast, Interpreter.   Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyMon Oct 26, 2020 9:35 am

I had an interesting discussion over the weekend with the Great-Granddaughter of Henry William Longcast regarding his campaign medal.

Longcast would serve as an interpreter to both Lord Chelmsford & King Cetshwayo. However he was removed from his duties at Cape Castle, as he appeared to be too biased to the Zulu cause for authorities in the Cape. After which he settled in Zululand and married a Zulu. He retained his links to the Zulu Royal House.

During the 1906 Rebellion he thought it was prudent to place his medal, together with testimonials from Lord Chelmsford, Sir Evelyn Wood, Sir Garnet Wolseley, Captain Joseph Ruscombe Poole & the Reverend Hahn from Nkandla, in the safe keeping of the Resident Magistrate at Nkandla.

Following his death in 1909, his friends and family went to report the death to the Resident Magistrate. They asked about the medal and the testimonies only to discover they were not there. The present family have their suspicions as to who removed the items, but it is not for me to repeat their allegations.

All the family would like to know that if anyone on the forum knows the whereabouts of Longcast’s Medal is that it is cared for. Should you know please drop me a pm in confidence so I can update the family.

JY
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Henry William Longcast , Interpreter    Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 1:09 am

Hi JY
Not sure John but I seem to remember the Longcast medal was possibly Auctioned at DNW in the last couple of years ? , I may be wrong , I seem to remember I bid on it , unsuccessfully ! .
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Henry William Longcast, Interpreter.   Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 6:06 am

John are you talking to Ingrid Filand?
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: Henry William Longcast, Interpreter.   Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 8:46 am

Gary,

Did a search on their website - no trace.

Frank,

Yes indeed. Something I should know?

JY

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Henry William Longcast, Interpreter.   Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 9:19 am

Then you probably know that Ingrid knows more about Henry than anyone. I believe she still lives in Eschowe.
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: Henry William Longcast, Interpreter.   Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Oct 27, 2020 9:29 am

Frank,

She certainly does, we have been corresponding over the last four years.

Yes, she is still in Eshowe where she is an elected member of the local council.

JY
Back to top Go down
Kagiso

PostSubject: Re: Henry William Longcast, Interpreter.   Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 8:06 am

Hello JY

I'm the grandson of Rose Elizabeth Longcast. Unfortunately I never got a chance to meet her as she passed on before I was born. I've been trying to contact Ingrid for sometime of which I was unsuccessful. May you please assist me with her contacts. According to my mother and aunt, my grandmother was from Natal and somewhere around Glencoe.

Regards
Kagiso Modisane
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Henry William Longcast, Interpreter.   Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 8:14 am

Kagiso
Last I heard of Ingrid she was working at the Sunnydale library in Eshowe. Try 035 4742 279

Frank
Back to top Go down
Kagiso

PostSubject: Re: Henry William Longcast, Interpreter.   Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 9:24 am

Thank you Frank
The Library seems to be closed at this time, I will keep trying. Thank you so much.
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: Henry William Longcast, Interpreter.   Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 2:04 pm

Kagiso,

I have sent Ingrid a WhatsApp message, awaiting her reply.

JY
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: Henry William Longcast, Interpreter.   Henry William Longcast, Interpreter. EmptyTue Jan 05, 2021 5:26 pm

Kagiso,

Please personal message me with your details, in order for me to pass them on to Ingrid.

JY
Back to top Go down

Henry William Longcast, Interpreter.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: 1879 ZULU WAR CAMPAIGN MEDAL-
Jump to: