WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Zululand trip. EmptyToday at 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Zululand trip. EmptyYesterday at 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Zululand trip. EmptyYesterday at 6:13 am by robgdad

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Zululand trip. EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Zululand trip. EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Zululand trip. EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Zululand trip. EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Zululand trip. EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Zululand trip. EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Zululand trip. EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Zululand trip. EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Zululand trip. EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Zululand trip. EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Zululand trip. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Zululand trip. EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Zululand trip. EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Zululand trip. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Zululand trip. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Zululand trip. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Zululand trip. EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Zululand trip. EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Zululand trip. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Zululand trip. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Zululand trip. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Zululand trip. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Zululand trip. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Zululand trip. EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Zululand trip. EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Zululand trip. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Zululand trip. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Zululand trip. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Zululand trip. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Zululand trip. EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Zululand trip. EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Zululand trip. EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
Zululand trip. Bar_leftZululand trip. BarZululand trip. Bar_right 
John Young
Julian Whybra
Kenny
Petty Officer Tom
Jager1
Dash
SRB1965
robgdad
EOA
New topics
» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Zululand trip. EmptyToday at 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Zululand trip. EmptyYesterday at 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Zululand trip. EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Zululand trip. EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Zululand trip. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Zululand trip. EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Zululand trip. EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Zululand trip. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Zululand trip. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 11:49 am by lydenburg

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Zululand trip.

Go down 
+8
Mr Greaves
Frank Allewell
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
Neil Aspinshaw
ADMIN
littlehand
johann engelbrecht
warrior3
12 posters
AuthorMessage
warrior3

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi everyone.
My name is Guy, and I've been lucky enough to have visited Zululand and the battlefields twice now. Once in 2006, and again in 2007, with the Holts tour with Ian Knight. I'm considering visiting the battlefields in march 2011, but this time i would like to do this trip on my bike. The type with no engine! I think it would be fantastic to get out in the open, and just peddle. Obviously this trip will have to be well planned. It would keep the cost down as well. Would any enthusiast like to join me on my adventure, as i Have absolutely no friends at all into the Zulu Wars!!

Cheers

Guy
Back to top Go down

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 2:34 pm

Interesting idea. You would be wise to have at least 2-3 other cyclists with you, preferably with at least one Zulu speaker.

Cross country cycling has yet to take off in that part of South Africa, though there are some mountain biking events and some 'triathlon' events use mountain bikes rather than purely road bikes.

I would not expect the heat to trouble you much - you could always stop and rest - but the very strong sunshine would require care to be taken. It would also be very unwise to risk abrasions or other injuries since you would largely have to look after your own first aid or trust to passing motorists. On a good day you could at least 'push/carry' a suitable bicycle along most of the Fugitives Trail, and ride it in places, so a long-ish round trip out of a parked vehicle at Rorke's Drift would be do-able. It would at least gibve the lammergeiers a family outing......
Back to top Go down

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 2:43 pm

Sorry, I should have added that the valley bottoms (Buffalo/Batshe/Manzimnyama) can all very very humid, especially after rain. However, if you trained up for it and took things very steadily then it could be done. Since the visibility of the Fugitives Trail is very dependent on the state of growth of local vegetation, I would not positively recommend taking it on with a bike in tow. I'm simply saying that it could be done though very laboriously in places. So, allow plenty of time and start early to get the best of the morning cool.

Quite whether it would be worth taking bikes all the way out there - or somehow obtaining them in KZN - is something else to ponder over.

Back to top Go down

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 2:48 pm

And, of course, you would need to take stock of the state of the Buffalo River. That could be assessed at either Vants Drift or at Rorke's Drift. If a bit marginal. you could still have a good day out at Isandlwana, and possibly even get out to Mangeni Falls and back if you were really keen. Not much point getting all the way to the Fugitives Drift only to come back again. If you can safely cross the Drift by wading or or doggy pddle, then you could probably get your bike across too - using some sort of improvised flotation and ropes, or, on a really favourable day when the upstream pool is shallower, simply by dragging it through the water (on ropes if necessary).
Back to top Go down
johann engelbrecht

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Do not forget about the Northern Battlefields.... Hlobane, Khambula and especially Enthombe Drift!!! Looking for accomodation look at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] .These are easily reached from the main road i.e. R33 [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.] March is a good time, not so hot any more, but the rivers can be in flood! Would be great to visit the Enthombe site on the 12th March 2011 exactly 132 years after the fatefull day!!
Back to top Go down
http://dtd@ptr.dorea.co.za

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 3:20 pm

You might be able to cycle and walk up Hlobane but it would be fairly heavy labour and quite a lot of the top would be fairly risky cycling even if following discernible tracks.

Khambule has particularly cloying soil when wet and might not be much fun for cycling, though would be fine when very dry. You would need to think through where your startpoint should be, or it would be another outing for the lammergeiers. Even George Mossop didn't have the opportunity to cycle down the Devil's Pass, so you could sell tickets for that! Though you could, very carefully, get down the Pass whilst hand carrying a bike there would be significant risk of an accident. Even when younger, I would not take that risk.

Ntombi (or Meyer's) Drift is also a bit of a flog, unless starting out from Luneburg by pre-arranging to leave a vehicle at the school there.
Back to top Go down
warrior3

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 3:26 pm

Thanks for peoples input so far. Just to say that i will be hiring a guide for Fugitives and Hlobane.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 3:50 pm

HI warrior3. Welcome to the forum. I hope your trip goe's well. Try dropping Ken Gillings a P.M He is one of the best guide's there is. His knowledge his endless. He will be able to give you all the information you need to undertake your venture. Idea

Sorry forgot to say Ken is a member on the forum.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyMon Jun 28, 2010 3:57 pm

warrior3. Here's a link to some of Kens posts.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just scroll down until you see his name.

Just click on his name. click on PM. Write message and send.

I know he is a way at present on one of his battlefield guilds. But he will pick up his message on his return.
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
Neil Aspinshaw

Neil Aspinshaw

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 11:50 am

The Fugitives Trail on a Bike!, phew, unless you are a total extreme cyclist I rather think you'll be carrying the bike. No Disses to Holts, but did you do the trail beyond the Manzimyama?, its 100% change from the river onwards.

Apart from the first mile, on the downward slope to the first deep gulley, thats about your lot, January was my seventh Fug Trail, it changes every time as the vegetation is now obscuring the white markers, making the terrain difficult to follow.

After the Manzimyama the trail is difficult enough on foot, never mind a bike, the first ascent in now rock to rock, and the overhead bush now means you spend most of the time stooping. The swampy area is impossible on a bike, and the final descent to the river a steep scramble. If the Buffalo is athing like Jan, running three feet up and like a train, erm, I'll stick to the Kyack from FDL.

I was talking to some of the guys from FDL who did the Ratrace, and the ride from Isandlwana to RD is about 1 & 1/2 hours.

The idea is sound, but I'l stick to our 4 x 4 and shanks's pony ta
Back to top Go down
http://www.martinihenry.org

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 12:17 pm

I'm in full agreement with Neil on the lack of wisdom in attempting it but then it isn't me who wishes to do these things. The Fugitives Trail could still possibly be done [u]with[/u] a bike (as an awkwardly carried load in places) but - as pointed out - only parts of it could be done [u]on[/u] a bike and even then subject to the very variable local conditions. If you can walk somewhere then broadly speaking you can generally walk it carrying and pushing a bicycle. That said, I have seen mountain bikes appear in extraordinary places, including in the Dolomites and the mountains and forests of the Innsbruck area. However, what is plainly present is the constant and unquantifiable risk of injury and stranding and perhaps seriously so. Grappling with a bike might also mean not spotting some of the occasional snakes on the trail that might elect to hold their ground.

Nevertheless, and leaving out the Trail, there is still a lot that can be seen by mountain bike but it may not be easy or much fun in some weather and ground conditions. Which is, perhaps, why you hardly ever see anybody doing it.

Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyTue Jun 29, 2010 8:12 pm

Gabion. I see you’re a man up for a challenge. Its good to know England still as some with the get up and go inside them.
I wish you well with this venture, and of cause we would expect some Video footage and photographs. (Not that we are asking for photographic evidence) If I was young enough I would join you, but we don’t want another fatality on the Fugitives Trail. Idea
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 7:27 am

Gabion
I admire your fortytude.
However let me briefly say what Neil Alludes to..............Fugitives trail by bike cant be done. If its a case of carrying the bike then thats hardly biking! I was there a few weeks ago, as was Neil, the bush is over hanging to the degree that I couldnt imagine trying it with a bike on my back.
Good Luck anyway, I do love an optomist.

Regards
Back to top Go down

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:20 am

Testing, Testing, 1, 2, 3....
Back to top Go down

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyWed Jun 30, 2010 11:27 am

My point is that anybody who particularly wished to set off from (say) Rorke's Drift by bike and make a round trip back to there via the Fugitives Trail and Drift could indeed do so.

Not without risk, and taking a great deal of effort, and subject to the state of the river and ground conditions.

I'm not saying it would be easy, or fun.

I have visited this area and trail at regular intervals and frequently over most of the last 60 years. Hardier locals tend not to make such heavy weather of it as casual visitors. There are good and bad times to go down it and those visiting in January might well find that conditions are very unfavourable. But, they improve during drier periods and especially when the river is low and the grass and undergrowth has reduced.

Back to top Go down
Mr Greaves

Mr Greaves

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 7:20 am

How long would it take to complete such a task.

Gabion Says
Quote :
"I have visited this area and trail at regular intervals and frequently over most of the last 60 years."

Gabion may I ask your age. scratch

Mr G.
Back to top Go down

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 9:33 am

Ageless
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 11:21 am

Gabion
As a thought, what would Amafas' opinion be to a mountain bike on a heritage site?

Regards
Back to top Go down

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 12:39 pm

You do raise a very good point.

Much of what we now see and experience on the Trail arises from implementing the site development planning of the former Kwa Zulu Haritage Coouncil. So, amongst other initiatives such as enclosing the battlefield heritage site; authorising the building of Isandlwana Lodge; fencing to contain the game animals now grazing there; and various measures and changes to the pattern of use; now having the overall effect of the bush regrowing to the extent it has.

Part of the purpose of these changes was to try to slow down the extent of erosion and in particular to the area immediately to the west of the Isandlwana feature and the area where the old road used to run. So, the effect of bicycle wheels would undoubtedly contribute to erosion and there is also the issue of maintaining the dignity and tranquility of what is really a large multi-ethnic war grave.

So, were this sort of activity to 'start small' (with maybe half a dozen peole doing it a year) sooner or later it could 'grow big', and raise both of the concerns that I have just mentioned.

Several factors contribute to the increasing obscuration of the trail, and quite a part of that is very much reduced walking activity along it.

Also, the marked/painted or cut trail effectively became symbolic over time since the historic flight of the Fugitives would have been over a broader and now indeterminable corridor though probably with some canalising and contouring caused by encountering the bog on the slopes of Mpethi and the need to gain height so as to be able to follow on down to the area of the drift. Interestingly, and because the marked/cut trail was simply intended to asist with direction finding towards the Drift, there has never been any interest in keeping it cleared or conserved as such. My understanding is that the original paint marking west of the Manzimnyama owes its origins to the Dundee MOTHs who were once very active in organising an annual walk along the trail and in assisting those involved with crosdsing the Drift safely. Others will know, but I don't think Fugitives Drift Lodge is anything like as active as it once was in its earlier days in guiding people along the trail; though that would depend upon demand, I agree.

So as to clarify my position, I would not be advocating that this already vulnerable site and trail should become a focus for some sort of running or sporting activity. This is, I would agree, highly unlikely in the short term. However, who can predict what might happen there in future if the site became increasingly proprietorialised by any of the current or future operators who gain revenues by exploiting it. As you infer, I would expect Amafa as the trustee body to discourage any activity that might lead to these worsening effects and they would be right to do so.

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 1:48 pm

Cabion

Im in full agreement. And yes the marked trail is but a slice of the original flight path.
Once upon a time Davids sons were around to assist people crossing the drift. Its still possible to arrange, if you are a guest, for assistance both from FD and Isandlawana Lodges.
I personaly would be very much against any form of 'simplifying ' the route. Its beauty is in its wild state, only in this condition can one appreciate the fugitives plight, albeit the area is vastly over grown.

Regards
Back to top Go down
old historian2

old historian2

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 9:48 pm

There are some photo's of the trial somewhere. Can anyone post a link.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 9:52 pm

Gabion. This is Jamie's website. You will find this very usefull.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 9:56 pm

Hi Littlehand,
How do you navigate around the Jamies website?

thanks joe
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 9:58 pm

Try now Joe.
Back to top Go down
old historian2

old historian2

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks Littlehand. Idea
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 10:00 pm

Cheers Idea
Back to top Go down
Chard1879

Chard1879

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptyThu Jul 01, 2010 10:25 pm

I have just spent the last 40 mins looking at Jamie's site. (Wow!!!) Excellent. Is he a member/ ex-member.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: zululand trip   Zululand trip. EmptyFri Jul 02, 2010 4:44 am

hi Chard1879.
As far as I am aware Jamie is still a current member . Idea .
cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Zululand trip. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Zululand trip.   Zululand trip. EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 2:12 am

Neil say's
Quote :
"If the Buffalo is anything like Jan, running three feet up and like a train"
Is that true, because that very fast. Which river feeds the Buffalo.
Back to top Go down

Zululand trip.
Page 1 of 1