WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu. Lieutenant John Chard: The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day. Bromhead: Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» The Pictorial World - March 15th 1879
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyYesterday at 1:13 pm by ben2000

» The lost diary of Pvt James Owen
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jul 25, 2024 12:03 pm by miklew

» Last of the 24th at Isandhlwana
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jul 24, 2024 6:16 pm by John Young

» What was the uniform of field marshals/generals in the zulu war?
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyMon Jul 22, 2024 6:53 am by John Young

» Henderson and the NNH at Rorke's Drift
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySat Jul 20, 2024 12:17 pm by SRB1965

» Capt. D. Hayes 1/3rd Regt., NNC
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jul 18, 2024 11:11 am by Julian Whybra

» The Wrecked Camp
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jul 17, 2024 4:33 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private N/N John Robert Branch 90th Regiment and his discovered diary
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyMon Jul 15, 2024 8:53 pm by 1879graves

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 12:06 pm by 1879graves

» 90th foot sgt T. Collins 214
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 10:57 am by johnman

» Baron Von Steitencron
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jul 10, 2024 3:10 pm by Julian Whybra

» Sgt Joseph Windridge, Defender of Rorke's Drift - Memorial
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyTue Jul 09, 2024 3:15 am by 90th

» Writing advice
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 4:04 pm by Julian Whybra

» South Africa 1877-79, 1 clasp, 1877-8-9 (4389 Fr. Sergt. S. Smith. O/2. Bde. R.A.)
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 9:30 am by rai

» The trashing of the Zulu monument to the brave warriors at Isandlawana March 12, 2024 has been blamed on scrap metal scavengers.
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:41 pm by ADMIN

» The Goodwill Zulu Festival: Celebrating the Welsh and KwaZulu Natal Shared Heritage.
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:27 pm by ADMIN

» Any nominal role of G Coy 2/24th regiment
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 11:18 am by Wayne

» Bassage Diary
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 9:31 am by Julian Whybra

» Prior to Sihayo's Kraal
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 9:19 am by 90th

» British Fort Locations
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 3:40 am by 90th

» Sergeant 1064 Tom Hick / Hicks G Company 2/24th Regiment
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jul 03, 2024 11:05 am by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyFri Jun 28, 2024 2:31 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» Private 25B/279 Henry Sears Bugler E Company 24th Reg. KIA Isandlwana
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jun 27, 2024 1:07 pm by gardner1879

» Hamilton Browne's birthday
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyFri Jun 21, 2024 9:22 am by Julian Whybra

» Zulu "Corps"
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2024 6:01 pm by Hobbes

» Army Pay Department Personnel
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2024 11:49 am by Julian Whybra

» Ntshingwayo birth date
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySun Jun 16, 2024 11:37 am by Hobbes

» Zibhebhu and Cetshwayo's family
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2024 9:11 pm by Julian Whybra

» Smith's Store/Hotel
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jun 05, 2024 6:06 pm by Julian Whybra

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyTue Jun 04, 2024 5:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Shaka iLembe
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySat Jun 01, 2024 1:27 pm by Jon84

» Bugler 1415 Thomas Finn / Flin 90th Regiment
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySat May 25, 2024 11:28 am by johnman

» Inspector-General Evelyn Richard Hugh Pollard
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyTue May 14, 2024 10:13 am by ADMIN

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySat May 11, 2024 8:01 am by Julian Whybra

» Fairlie's Native Police
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu May 02, 2024 9:12 pm by Hobbes

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? Bar_leftWhy did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? BarWhy did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? Bar_right 
Branchjr
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? Bar_leftWhy did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? BarWhy did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? Bar_right 
1879graves
90th
SRB1965
John Young
paulhellier
ADMIN
Hobbes
johnman
New topics
» The Pictorial World - March 15th 1879
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyYesterday at 1:13 pm by ben2000

» The lost diary of Pvt James Owen
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jul 25, 2024 12:03 pm by miklew

» Last of the 24th at Isandhlwana
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jul 24, 2024 5:53 pm by miklew

» What was the uniform of field marshals/generals in the zulu war?
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySun Jul 21, 2024 12:30 pm by darthvaix

» Henderson and the NNH at Rorke's Drift
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyFri Jul 19, 2024 1:29 pm by SRB1965

» Capt. D. Hayes 1/3rd Regt., NNC
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jul 17, 2024 10:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» The Wrecked Camp
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 8:51 am by 61MECH

» The trashing of the Zulu monument to the brave warriors at Isandlawana March 12, 2024 has been blamed on scrap metal scavengers.
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:41 pm by ADMIN

» The Goodwill Zulu Festival: Celebrating the Welsh and KwaZulu Natal Shared Heritage.
Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:27 pm by ADMIN

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?

Go down 
+11
Dave
littlehand
24th
Al Amos
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
90th
Frank Allewell
The Aussie
Chard1879
joe
tasker224
15 posters
AuthorMessage
tasker224

tasker224

Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? Empty
PostSubject: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 8:51 am

As a newish student of the wars in SA, 1877 - 9, I am still learning, so apologies if this is a trivial Q.

I have yet to read a decent text on the subject. If you had to recommend one book, (on Isandhlwana in particular) which would it be?

Back to the Q.

Did the Zulu warriors run out of ammo? Did they simply get tired and hungry and go home? Were they ordered off by a senior chief on realising the attack was outside of their territory and unauthorised? Did they decide to spare fellow warriors after winning their respect for having put up such a brave fight, as implied by the film Zulu?

Many thanks all, have been living the battles in mind this weekend. As Saul David says, nice tribute s from everyone over the past few days.

Tasker
Back to top Go down
joe

joe

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 9:38 am

Hi, i think it was because the Zulus saw the approaching column (Chelmsford) moving towards R Drift

Cheers joe
Back to top Go down
Chard1879

Chard1879

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptySun Jan 23, 2011 12:15 pm

Basically, it was because they were tired and hungry, plus Chelmsford's relief column was on its way. Chelmsford column infact passed the Zulu army that had attacked Rorke s Drift. But they just passed each other like ships in the night. If the Zulu's had launched other attack, it would have been unlikely that the British would have fended them off has they were almost out of ammunition.
Back to top Go down
The Aussie

The Aussie

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 10:03 am

I'm just a beer drinking kangaroo, but if I had been the Zulu chief that day at Rorkes Drift I would have taken that place in the first attack with few casualties.
Using the benefit of 21st century thinking that has been developed by the well documented military battles of history, I would have rushed that temporary fort from four sides at once and as Ardendorf said in the movie,"Finish!"
I'm a real newby here but my contention is that there was so much rivalry and pride between various impies of company strength that each impi had to attack without the help of another.
The volley fired .455 bullets mowed down impi after impi until the chiefs decided that enough was enough and decided to conserve their regiments for a coming larger battle they knew was brewing with Chelmsford's forces.
Like all primative tribesmen they respected bravery and used this as a subterfuge to break off the engagement.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 11:34 am

Tasker 224
Depends on your reading pleasures really.

Without a doubt the book that will one day be a classic is 'ZULU RISING' Ian Knight. Its really the definitive on historical thinking.
If your prepared to be a tad more risque, 'HOW CAN MAN DIE BETTER', Mike Snook. Biggest problem that has is the lack of footnotes. But definitly attempts to dot the i's and cross the t's.
Contentious? ZULU VICTORY by Lock and Quantrill.

To get a really good grounding, ian Knight without a shadow of doubt.

After that the list is endless.

As to why the Zulu's broke of the attack at RD. Firstly they shouldnt have been there. They had over two days run/jogged from Ulundi, had a nights rest, marched to RD. Fought through the night, been pretty thoroughly thrashed. In short they were "buggered". The sight of the column returning was the last straw.

Aussie

A tad harsh to call that noble race Primitive.
For sure there was at times rivalry between the Amabuthu, the rivalry between the uThulwana and iNgobamakhosi was at times open warfare. The relationship between them both and the iNdlondlo and uDloko wasnt much better. However they were commanded by Dabulamanzi, not a man to brook arguments.
In terms of the all out attack that did actually happen, the first attack was on the rear, then a full on frontal, that was assisted by the guns of the Oskaberg. Around 6 to 6.30 the buildings were surrounded and attacked from all sides. The Western attack failed because of the light from the burning store, after that the attacks were directed for a while at the Eastern walls and the front ramparts. The last attack took place around 9 oclock.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: why did the zulus cease their attack   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 12:17 pm

Hi Tasker224.
My friend Springbok has hit the nail on the head in regard to ' Zulu Rising ' . Where once ' The Washing Of The Spears '
was seen as the single most important work on the Zulu War and was till probably the last 20 yrs or so . Zulu Rising
is the new benchmark for all books based on Isandlwana and R.D. It is impossible to cover the war in one book . It really
depends on what theatre of the war takes your fancy . I have many books and my ' Must Have ' list would more than likely
sit at 12 - 20 . As I said it depends if you wish to read Personal Diaries , Reference Books , the list goes on ! . Bertram
Mitford's Book is a cracker , Its called ' Through The Zulu Country ' it doesnt really cover the war , it's his journey through
Zululand 2 yrs after the war and what he saw and who he spoke to . Fascinating reading I've read it twice and will read it
again soon . His description of Isandlwana and the Fugitives Trail is quite moving . Its as if you are sitting in the wagon with
him !!. Mike Snooks book is also worth reading very moving in parts but does lack footnotes to back up his claims , but he
does attempt to describe it through the eyes of a soldier . I also agree ' Zulu Victory ' by Lock & Quantrill also well worth it .
Knights Book ' Fearful Hard Times ' is a wonderful book dealing with the First column's advance to Eshowe and the time it
spent there , till it was relieved and also covers the relief column heading to eshowe . Hope this helps .
cheers 90th.

Back to top Go down
tasker224

tasker224

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I will start with Zulu Rising. My birthday is coming up soon, so I will mention it to the missus when she asks me what i want. Might try Mike Snook's book after that, but I think he has a tendency to put 2 and 2 together and make 7; I am not surprised by the mention of a lack of footnotes in his book. This is only my personal opinion I hasten to add and I may yet change my mind. (I have pre-ordered his "Beyond the Reach of Empire" as I have a particular interest in in Abu Klea where my Great Grandfather fought) and very much look forward to reading it. I hope it will be as definitive as he has told me it is going to be.
Cheers
Tasker
Back to top Go down
The Aussie

The Aussie

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 10:24 pm

Aussie. Unfortunally your post can be and has been deemed as an attack on other cultures which as no bearing on this topic. For that reason your post as been deleted. Please stay on topic.
Regards Admin.

Last edited by The Aussie on Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 pm

Tasker224.
Quote :
“But I think he has a tendency to put 2 and 2 together and make 7”

Not sure how you came to the conclusion. Mike Snook is one of the leading authorities on the Anglo Zulu War. There has been much criticism towards his books normally by those who have not even bothered to read them. I’m guessing your one of them. Mike Snook like Ian Knight has spent a vast amount of time researching, the war and walking the Battlefields. Mike writes about Isandlwana giving clear concise over-view as to what might have actually took place, because as you know we will never know what exactly happen because their were no witness’s apart from the few that escaped. But what took place in the camp area will always remain a mystery. Mike Snook over-view is plausible and as far as I know, no one as yet shown it to be different. Don’t judge a book by its cover.

As for the Zulu’s leaving Rorkes Drift.

Firstly they disobeyed their Kings orders. (Never attack a British fortified position)

Secondly. They took on 139 British Bulldogs. Equipped with the Boxer Henry point 45-calibre. And a bayonet with some guts behind it. (Would you stay)?
Back to top Go down
The Aussie

The Aussie

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 3:35 am

Well I don't agree with you because you read it wrongly.
This is a general and informative discussion about the abilities of other tribes people of the nineteenth century in comparison to the Zulus. No derogatory statements were made or intended.
I am an Australian and I know more about the Australian Aboriginal than you ever will. They ate the horses and burned the rifles in the fires.
Believe it. It is part of our history.

I've heard of this sort of out of control political correctness on line but this is the first time I have seen it this bad.
There is no greater insult to be handed a member than to have a valid post deleted.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 6:28 am

Tasker 224
Your spot on Mike Snook does make 2 + 2 = 7. But the way he does it and the educated trip to get there is really very good.
That's why on an earlier post I said his book was rather risque.
Im rather spoilt in that I get to visit the battlefields once a year. This year I took Zulu Rising and HCMDB with me. If you sit on the Battlefield, Blacks Koppie is perfect, and read Mike Snook 2+2 does equal 7.
Read the book, dump the things you dont believe and be enthralled with some very very plausible reasoning.

Regards
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 2:25 pm

Aussie. Lets just say your post wasn't worded to well. relating to the Aborigines, Unfortunallty censorship is now a part of our lives. Admin would not have deleted your post if it were not necessary; His actions were only to preserve the integrity of the forum. So don’t take it to heart and keep up the good work. Must admit when i saw your post i did think Ouch!!!!

CTSG
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 2:27 pm

Quote :
This year I took Zulu Rising and HCMDB
I would like to have seen a photo of that...
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: why did the zulus cease their attack   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 3:16 pm

Hi ctsg.
I've also read Snook' s book HCMDB and honestly .......... Thoroughly enjoyed it . I do believe in Footnotes to back up
one's claims but at Least Mike Snook attempts to explain what '' HE THINKS '' happened in the camp from his soldierly point
of view . Cant bag him for that .
cheers 90th. :lol!:
Back to top Go down
Al Amos

Al Amos

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 3:49 pm

"But they just passed each other like ships in the night. If the Zulu's had launched other attack, it would have been unlikely that the British would have fended them off has they were almost out of ammunition."

As a life long wargamer, that would be one interesting 'what-if' battle. Both armies coming off the march, one low on morale and ammo, the other dead tired and perhaps dispirited as well. In the numbers game the Zulu should have a bit more men, eh?

---

Join me in speculation. Let's say battle was joined between the two, and the Zulu thrashed the English again, because of the low ammo status mainly. What becomes of the war? Does London admit their man on the spot was meddling with the internal state of affairs in Zululand, or do they double the reinforcement schedule?

... and the other side of the coin, what if the Zulus lose a second casualty high battle in 24 hours, does Cetswayo send a peace delegation?

Back to top Go down
tasker224

tasker224

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Hi All
CTSG - as I said, I reserve the right to change my mind.
I have heard Mike Snook's books are an enthralling read. It is important however to distinguish between what he THINKS happened and I would very much respect his expertise on that as an infantry officer, and what can be proved by documentary evidence. I have had a few discussions with him on this already, but he has assured me that various points - which he has stated as fact - on which I have challenged him in some of his posts on another forum, will be proved to be valid in his new book about Abu Klea. I will wait and see!

Admin - I agree with CTSG that Chelmsford was trying to make the best of what happened at RD and Isandhlwana and we can understand that - what leader wouldn't?. I have not read enough about it yet to form my own opinion on whether Chelmsford was to blame for the loss at Isandlwana or not!

The Aussie - keep posting, you have a right to express your opinions. Many of us have had posts removed by Admin for straying off topic - for example, no one on here has mentioned the 2010-2011 Ashes series yet have they?
I have to admit I was offended by your post with respect to the Aborigines. Why did they burn rifles do you think? (Having visited your beautiful country many times and having met with Aboriginal people, I would be of the opinion that they did this because they are a peace loving people, it was symbolic. I don't believe we should criticise them for that, or for wishing to pursue their own culture and way of life).

Cheers
Tasker224

Back to top Go down
Chard1879

Chard1879

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:40 pm

Al Amos.
Quote :
Does Cetshwayo send a peace delegation?
He tried on many occasions but was refuted.

Quote :
Does London admit their man on the spot was meddling with the internal state of affairs in Zululand, or do they double the reinforcement schedule?

Then of course the question of the 1st invasion would have been brought in to question. Like it says on the forum home page.

"Lord Chelmsford invaded Zululand without the knowledge of the British Government in the hope that he could Capture Cetshwayo, the Zulu King, before London discovered that hostilities had begun."

Would not have been good at all for Chelmsford & Sir Bartle Frere. Hung Drawn and quartered.
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 4:51 pm

Then 11 VC’s would have been awarded to the chosen few who fought at the battle of Inyezane 22nd Jan 1879. Inyezane would have then been used to over shadow R.D 8 Isandlwana.

Don't for get Lads, we had two victories on the 22nd/ 23rd The Zulu’s only had one.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 5:01 pm

Zulu Victory at Rorke's Drift.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 7:49 pm

What if Chelmsford had been chopped at Isandlwana? And R.D had been a Zulu Victory. Where would the British go from there?
Back to top Go down
Mr Greaves

Mr Greaves

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Quote :
What if Chelmsford had been chopped at Isandlwana

The Brits has no devices on Zululand, Worsley would have been sent in to calm the situation and life would have carried on as normal.
Back to top Go down
The Aussie

The Aussie

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 10:21 pm

Why did they burn rifles do you think? (Having visited your beautiful country many times and having met with Aboriginal people, I would be of the opinion that they did this because they are a peace loving people, it was symbolic. I don't believe we should criticise them for that, or for wishing to pursue their own culture and way of life).

Cheers
Tasker224

Are people this mis informed or are you having me on Tasker?
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 10:39 pm

Aussie. The topic is "Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?"
Back to top Go down
ciscokid

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 10:44 pm

The Aussie wrote:
Why did they burn rifles do you think? (Having visited your beautiful country many times and having met with Aboriginal people, I would be of the opinion that they did this because they are a peace loving people, it was symbolic. I don't believe we should criticise them for that, or for wishing to pursue their own culture and way of life).

Cheers
Tasker224

Are people this mis informed or are you having me on Tasker?

Hey Aussie,

As someone who's only caught 1/2 of the conversation, can you answer elaborate on this burning of rifles? PM me please to take it off topic.

- This isn't a joke, I'm seriously interested.

FWIW - I spent a year in Oz and stayed with some Aborigines when I spent time in Arnhem Land.

cheers
Back to top Go down
sas1

sas1

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 11:02 pm

Aussie. If you want to discuss Aboriginal people, why don't you join the forum below. Click on link. Deleted
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?   Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD? EmptyWed Jan 26, 2011 11:14 pm

I can see no point in continuing with this thread. Locking down before it gets out of hand. Aussie. If you un-happy about this decision please feel free send PM.

We don't intend on being your parents, however we do intend on keeping this forum neat and tidy.

Admin.
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com

Why did the Zulus cease their attack on RD?
Page 1 of 1