WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Francis Shirley Russell 14th Hussars
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyToday at 12:20 pm by IntCorpsMedals

» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat Apr 27, 2024 1:46 am by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 8:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
john - The silent men who do their duty Bar_leftjohn - The silent men who do their duty Barjohn - The silent men who do their duty Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
john - The silent men who do their duty Bar_leftjohn - The silent men who do their duty Barjohn - The silent men who do their duty Bar_right 
John Young
Kenny
A Crockart
Petty Officer Tom
SRB1965
Eddie
Jager1
cmeghen
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

The silent men who do their duty

Go down 
+4
Mr Greaves
1879graves
littlehand
seankeeliher
8 posters
AuthorMessage
seankeeliher

john - The silent men who do their duty Empty
PostSubject: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 02, 2011 12:19 pm

"England owes her greatness to the silent men who do their duty" abstract taken from the Morning Post dated the 13th of November 1912 following the passing of the late Sir Frederick Richards former Commander and Admiral of the Fleet.

"During this war it has been necessary for the complete efficiency of the service that I should keep two offices open, the one at Durban and the other at Simons Bay. The clerical labour has been very great and communication and arrangement of details of transport and other services incessant. The telegraph was constantly at work and in this duty the services of Mr Carlisle, my secretary at Durban, and Mr Trew, assistant paymaster at Simons Bay, have been invaluable and I have much pleasure in recommending both these officers to the most favourable consideration of their Lordships."

Frederick W Richards - Commodore - Simons Bay September 13th 1879

My great great grandfather was Secretary John Carlisle RN, later Paymaster in Chief, who had arrived at the West Coast of Africa on board HMS Boadicea having transferred from HMS Active, the last square rigged naval ship to leave Portsmouth. I have often been told he was one of those silent men who did their duty, but would be grateful for further information regarding the likely role he played during the Zulu conflict, those with whom he would had served, and what life would have been like for a naval gentleman during the time.
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 02, 2011 2:23 pm

seankeeliher. Welcome to the forum..

Do you have any photographs of your Great Great Grandfather. "John Carlisle" Or any further information on him.
Back to top Go down
seankeeliher

PostSubject: Info regarding John Carlisle   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 02, 2011 2:54 pm

Thank you littlehand for your kind welcome to the forum

I do have some pictures of John Carlisle of which require scanning; two of which are in Naval Uniform. Regarding further information, I have a a manuscript written by my mother which provides some information regarding his service history which began in 1861 as a RN assistant clerk. In 1865 he was promoted to Assistant Paymaster serving on HMS Hercules. By 1877 he joined HMS Active and by 1879 was serving as Secretary to Commodore Richards, as previously mentioned.

1880 he was promoted to Paymaster and served as Secretary to the Principle Transport Officer in Egypt during the Egyptian wars where he was awarded the Khedive's Bronze Star. 1886 he was recorded as Paymaster in Chief and served as Secretary to the Commander in Chief in the East Indies during the Burma Annexation War (1885-1886).

In 1893 he was recorded as Fleet Paymaster and in 1911 recorded as Paymaster in Chief "Retired". In 1912 he came out of retirement to serve on the committee which organised a memorial to his former commander the late Admiral of the Fleet, Sir Frederick Richards.

Born in Charlton in 1843 he died on the 13th of September 1924 at the Technical Examining Officers residence in Gosport.

Unfortunately I have no written documents or manuscripts telling of his life in the RN, what life was like or the people he served with. However, I hope this provides you with some background information.
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 02, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi Seankeeliher

Welcome to the forum and a great first post.

The only information I can add is the following

He was secretary to the Commadore on the West Coast of Africa during the Zulu War (he was mentioned in Despatches.)

Time spent on shore 17th March 1879 to 11th June 1879 'Boadicea'

Time spent on shore 12th June 1879 to 24th July 1879

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Gosport Cemetery, Gosport, Hampshire, England.
Back to top Go down
http://zuluwar1879.tribalpages.com
seankeeliher

PostSubject: Thank you 1879 war graves   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 02, 2011 3:22 pm

Thank you to 1879 war graves, great site
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 02, 2011 6:50 pm

seankeeliher

Let me add my welcome to the forum. I am looking forward to seeing your photographs of John Carlisle.

Commodore F. W. Sullivan, who was Commodore Richards' predecessor at the beginning of the Zulu War, in his report to the Admiralty before relinquishing command wrote the following:

“I cannot conclude without recording the high sense I entertain of the services rendered me by my secretary, Mr. John Carlisle, during the period of my command, … Mr. Carlisle was recommended to their Lordships notice by me at the close of the war in the Cape Colony; and he has, during the war here, shown the same qualities which called for my thanks on that occasion. I respectfully renew my application for his advancement.”
Signed,
F. W. Sullivan, Commodore

For his service in South Africa John Carlisle was awarded the South Africa Medal with clasp “1877-8-9”

Thank you for sharing the information about your great, great grandfather.

Petty Officer Tom
Back to top Go down
Mr Greaves

Mr Greaves

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 02, 2011 6:51 pm

Seankeeliher. Always to have new members contributing. Looking forward to seeing the photo's of your Great Great Grandfather.
Back to top Go down
seankeeliher

PostSubject: Kind words and respect to fellow members of the forum   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 02, 2011 7:01 pm

As you are aware I have only been a forum member for no longer than one day. I would personally like to thank Littlehand, Mr Greaves, Petty Officer Tom and the 1879 war graves for their kind words and valuable information regarding Secretary John Carlisle RN.

With in the next day or so I will download and paste copies of the pictures I have of John Carlisle or Faffa as he was fondly remembered by my grand mother.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 02, 2011 7:31 pm

seankeeliher. Totally agree, excellent first post. Just to make you aware. I have moved this topic to the Naval Brigade section. If you have any problems posting your photos let me know. Idea
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
seankeeliher

PostSubject: Pictures of Secretary John Carlisle RN   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 02, 2011 8:00 pm

As promised two pictures taken some time after the Zulu wars

Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 02, 2011 9:59 pm

seankeeliher. You will have to use a photo hosting site like Photobucket. Or you can e-mail them to me and I will post under your name. Which would you prefer.
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
90th

90th

PostSubject: Silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyTue May 03, 2011 6:53 am

Hi Seankeeliher.
I would also like to welcome you to the forum and what a fantastic bit of history you are sharing with us . All of us are
looking forward to seeing the photo's of your forebear and you have produced a first posting of a high order .
cheers 90th Idea
Back to top Go down
seankeeliher

PostSubject: Pictures of Secretary John Carlisle RN   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri May 06, 2011 8:38 am

Sorry for the delay in posting pictures of Secretary John Carlisle problems with our broadband connection.

I believe the first picture was taken around the late 1880's while the second was taken late 1890's early 1900's

[url=[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]]

[url=[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri May 06, 2011 2:39 pm

seankeeliher

Thank you for the photographs. It is always nice to match a face to a name.

Petty Officer Tom
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri May 06, 2011 5:00 pm

seankeeliher. Great photo's. Do you know what the medals are for.
Back to top Go down
seankeeliher

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri May 06, 2011 5:35 pm

Dave

I believe one of the medals was the Khedives bronze star awarded to him for his services as Secretary to the Principle transport officer in Egypt during the Egyptian wars

The other two, I am not sure. I will try my best to find out
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri May 06, 2011 7:21 pm

Hi seankeeliher

Great photos and thank you for sharing them.

Hi Dave

His medals would be the same as Able Seaman Henry Lee's, see above
South Africa medal with 1879 clasp and the Egypt medal and Khedive star.
Back to top Go down
seankeeliher

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri May 06, 2011 7:28 pm

Thanks Dave for this

If you have any information on Able Seaman Henry lee would be interesting

All the best for now

Sean
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri May 06, 2011 7:49 pm

Hi seankeeliher

A little on Able Seaman Henry Lee.

He was a rating aboard HMS Active and was put ashore as part of the Naval Brigade from 19th Nov 1878 until 21st July 1879. He saw service on some 14 ships and shore establishments. He was awarded the South Africa medal with 1879 clasp and the Egypt medal and Khedive star. He joined under an alias since his real name was Aaron Lees. Born in Manchester in 1854 he completed 20 years of service retiring as a 1st class Petty Officer in July 1893. He unfortunately died a few years later on the Isle of Wight, he left one surviving son.

Back to top Go down
seankeeliher

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri May 06, 2011 8:06 pm

1879graves

Thanks for this, I am trying to build up a a complete picture and library of information on the people that served in the RN during my great great grandfathers service. I have just started out and it will take some considerable time, but eventually I hope to write a topic on my findings with which I will share with anyone that may be interested.

Once again thank you to all that have made me feel so welcome
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri May 06, 2011 9:55 pm

seankeeliher,

One modification on John Carlisle's medals.. He was entitled to the South Africa Medal with clasp "1877-8-9". Before being Secretaryto Commodore Richards on 'Boadicea', he was Secretary to Commodore Sullivan on 'Active'. (Confirmed on medal roll)

Petty Officer Tom
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri May 06, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi Petty Officer Tom

Many thanks for the correction on his medals
South Africa medal with 1877-8-9 clasp and the Egypt medal and Khedive star.

Idea
Back to top Go down
Mr Greaves

Mr Greaves

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyFri May 06, 2011 10:02 pm

Ships in Port 1881

"H M S Vernon" at Portsmouth, Hampshire, England

Able Seaman. Henry LEE. Age24 Male Place of Birth (Ashton Under Lyne, Lancashire)

Possibly one of those ships.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat May 07, 2011 2:59 am

seankeeliher,

I hope you find this information useful.

Secretary John Carlisle, HMS Boadicea

1 Mar 1843 Born in Charlton, Kent

13 Dec 1861 Entered Royal Navy as Assistant Clerk

12 Dec 1865 Promoted to Assistant Paymaster

30 Apr 1867 Assistant Paymaster (Additional for Chare of Lisbon Hospital) borne on HMS Fisgard (Woolwich)

2 Nov 1868 Assistant Paymaster on HMS Hercules (Iron Screw Ship, Channel Squadron)

13 Oct 1873 Assistant Paymaster on HMS Asia (Flag Ship of the Admiral Superintendent, Portsmouth)

31 Oct 1876 Secretary to Commodore on HMS Tourmaline(Corvette, Cape of Good Hope and West Coast of Africa)

25 Jul 1877 Secretary to Commodore on HMS Active (Corvette, Flag Ship, Cape of Good Hope and West Coast of Africa) during Cape Colony Wars

17 Mar 1878 Secretary to Commodore on HMS Boadicea (Corvette, Flag Ship, Cape of Good Hope and West Coast of Africa) during the Zulu War Mentioned in Despatches, South Africa Medal with clasp “1877-8-9”

30 Mar 1880 he was promoted to Paymaster

23 Oct 1882 Paymaster on HMS Orion (Corvette, Malta) for Transport Service in Egypt

12 Apr 1883 Paymaster, borne on HMS Alexander (Flag Ship, Mediterranean), for service as Secretary to Principal Transport Officer, Egypt. Entitled to Egypt Medal and Khedive Bronze Star

18May 1885 Secretary to Rear Admiral on HMS Bacchante (Corvette, Flag Ship, East Indies) during 3rd Anglo-Burma War. Entitled to India General Service Medal with clasp “Burma 1885-7”

30 Mar 1886 Promoted to Staff Paymaster

29 Nov 1890 Secretary to Vice Admiral on HMS Imperieuse (Cruiser
1st Class, Flag Ship, China Station)

30 Mar 1892 Promoted to the Rank of Fleet Paymaster

1 Mar 1903 Placed on the Retirement List with permission to assume the rank of Paymaster-in-Chief

13 Sep 1924 died in Gosport at the age of 81

Petty Officer Tom
Back to top Go down
seankeeliher

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat May 07, 2011 9:52 am

Petty Officer Tom thank you ever so much for the information. Hope all is well.

Sean
Back to top Go down
1879graves

1879graves

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat May 07, 2011 11:59 am

Hi Petty Officer Tom

I wonder if you can help, something is puzzling me about John Carlisle Medals scratch

Question - The first photo that Sean posted - Would the uniform be correct for about 1883 - 1884 ?
Question - In the second photo that Sean posted - What sort of date would be correct for that uniform or rank ?

The bit that is puzzling me-
Quote :
18May 1885 Secretary to Rear Admiral on HMS Bacchante (Corvette, Flag Ship, East Indies) during 3rd Anglo-Burma War. Entitled to India General Service Medal with clasp “Burma 1885-7”

This is what the Medal would have looked like. (For those who do not know what it looks like)

Now if the Second photo of John Carlisle is later than 1886 (he looks older in the second photo) then he should be wearing a total of four Medals scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat May 07, 2011 4:46 pm

1879graves,

I also wondered about the medal for Burma not being on the uniform in the second photograph. My source for including it is:

“War medals and their history”
By William Augustus Steward

“Burma, 1885-7.—To the crews of H.M.S. "Bacchante," "Woodlark," "Osprey," "Ranger," '' Mariner," "Turquoise," and "Sphinx," which took part in the third Burma War, that resulted in the disposition of Theebaw and the annexation of Burma, the medal with the bar for BURMA 1885-7, as described on page 138, was granted. Those awarded to the navy were generally impressed in tall upright Roman capitals.”

The answer to your first question is: ‘Yes’, the uniform is appropriate for the 1883-84 time frame.

The answer to the second question is: ‘The same time frame is appropriate for the second photograph’; his rank in both photographs appears to be the same, so the second photo might not have been taken that much later.

I don’t know the date for the authorization of the Burma 1885-7 medal, but I feel sure it took a couple of years (Zulu War medal was not authorized and delivered until 1881 and later) I would not think he would be wearing a fourth medal until 1889 or later.

seankeeliher,

Do either of the photographs have the date on them? Do you have his medals, or know where they are?

Petty Officer Tom
Back to top Go down
seankeeliher

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptySat May 07, 2011 6:05 pm

Petty Officer Tom

Unfortunately I don't have any of his medals.I have enquired with other family members before and it is a mystery as to what actually happened to them. Regarding the dates on the pictures they are not visible so I could only assume as to the time they where taken. The only other information the family has on John Carlisle are letters sent and received between the committee members that formed part of the funeral possession of Sir F.W.Richards.

I will look again and if I do come across any further information I will add it to the forum

Sean
Back to top Go down
tasker224

tasker224

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:10 pm

On the subject of the campaign medals, which are worn in chronological order, one would be able to date the photos of John Carlisle as being after 1882, but sometime before 1888, which would put him in his early 40s.

However, he does look older than this, but he may simply have lost or misplaced his Burma medal in the photos; fighting men of that era were really not gong hunters and they would have considered misplacing a campaign medal or 2 as a very trivial matter and quite unimportant.

(I once met a Battle of Britain pilot who had given away his medals to someone who had simply shown an interest in them - not me, regrettably. He really considered them of no importance).
Back to top Go down
tasker224

tasker224

PostSubject: Re: The silent men who do their duty   john - The silent men who do their duty EmptyMon May 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Actually, having had another look at Carlisle's photos, to contradict myself, taking away the facial hair, early 40s would be my estimate of his age actually.
Back to top Go down

The silent men who do their duty
Page 1 of 1