WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu. Lieutenant John Chard: The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day. Bromhead: Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» The Pictorial World - March 15th 1879
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyYesterday at 1:13 pm by ben2000

» The lost diary of Pvt James Owen
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jul 25, 2024 12:03 pm by miklew

» Last of the 24th at Isandhlwana
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyWed Jul 24, 2024 6:16 pm by John Young

» What was the uniform of field marshals/generals in the zulu war?
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyMon Jul 22, 2024 6:53 am by John Young

» Henderson and the NNH at Rorke's Drift
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySat Jul 20, 2024 12:17 pm by SRB1965

» Capt. D. Hayes 1/3rd Regt., NNC
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jul 18, 2024 11:11 am by Julian Whybra

» The Wrecked Camp
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyWed Jul 17, 2024 4:33 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private N/N John Robert Branch 90th Regiment and his discovered diary
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyMon Jul 15, 2024 8:53 pm by 1879graves

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 12:06 pm by 1879graves

» 90th foot sgt T. Collins 214
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 10:57 am by johnman

» Baron Von Steitencron
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyWed Jul 10, 2024 3:10 pm by Julian Whybra

» Sgt Joseph Windridge, Defender of Rorke's Drift - Memorial
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyTue Jul 09, 2024 3:15 am by 90th

» Writing advice
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 4:04 pm by Julian Whybra

» South Africa 1877-79, 1 clasp, 1877-8-9 (4389 Fr. Sergt. S. Smith. O/2. Bde. R.A.)
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 9:30 am by rai

» The trashing of the Zulu monument to the brave warriors at Isandlawana March 12, 2024 has been blamed on scrap metal scavengers.
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:41 pm by ADMIN

» The Goodwill Zulu Festival: Celebrating the Welsh and KwaZulu Natal Shared Heritage.
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:27 pm by ADMIN

» Any nominal role of G Coy 2/24th regiment
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 11:18 am by Wayne

» Bassage Diary
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 9:31 am by Julian Whybra

» Prior to Sihayo's Kraal
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 9:19 am by 90th

» British Fort Locations
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 3:40 am by 90th

» Sergeant 1064 Tom Hick / Hicks G Company 2/24th Regiment
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyWed Jul 03, 2024 11:05 am by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyFri Jun 28, 2024 2:31 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» Private 25B/279 Henry Sears Bugler E Company 24th Reg. KIA Isandlwana
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jun 27, 2024 1:07 pm by gardner1879

» Hamilton Browne's birthday
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyFri Jun 21, 2024 9:22 am by Julian Whybra

» Zulu "Corps"
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jun 20, 2024 6:01 pm by Hobbes

» Army Pay Department Personnel
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jun 20, 2024 11:49 am by Julian Whybra

» Ntshingwayo birth date
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySun Jun 16, 2024 11:37 am by Hobbes

» Zibhebhu and Cetshwayo's family
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyWed Jun 05, 2024 9:11 pm by Julian Whybra

» Smith's Store/Hotel
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyWed Jun 05, 2024 6:06 pm by Julian Whybra

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyTue Jun 04, 2024 5:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Shaka iLembe
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySat Jun 01, 2024 1:27 pm by Jon84

» Bugler 1415 Thomas Finn / Flin 90th Regiment
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySat May 25, 2024 11:28 am by johnman

» Inspector-General Evelyn Richard Hugh Pollard
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyTue May 14, 2024 10:13 am by ADMIN

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySat May 11, 2024 8:01 am by Julian Whybra

» Fairlie's Native Police
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu May 02, 2024 9:12 pm by Hobbes

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs Bar_leftLt Antsey and men on road repairs BarLt Antsey and men on road repairs Bar_right 
Branchjr
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs Bar_leftLt Antsey and men on road repairs BarLt Antsey and men on road repairs Bar_right 
1879graves
90th
SRB1965
John Young
paulhellier
Hobbes
johnman
ADMIN
New topics
» The Pictorial World - March 15th 1879
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyYesterday at 1:13 pm by ben2000

» The lost diary of Pvt James Owen
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jul 25, 2024 12:03 pm by miklew

» Last of the 24th at Isandhlwana
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyWed Jul 24, 2024 5:53 pm by miklew

» What was the uniform of field marshals/generals in the zulu war?
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySun Jul 21, 2024 12:30 pm by darthvaix

» Henderson and the NNH at Rorke's Drift
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyFri Jul 19, 2024 1:29 pm by SRB1965

» Capt. D. Hayes 1/3rd Regt., NNC
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyWed Jul 17, 2024 10:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» The Wrecked Camp
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 8:51 am by 61MECH

» The trashing of the Zulu monument to the brave warriors at Isandlawana March 12, 2024 has been blamed on scrap metal scavengers.
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:41 pm by ADMIN

» The Goodwill Zulu Festival: Celebrating the Welsh and KwaZulu Natal Shared Heritage.
Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:27 pm by ADMIN

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Lt Antsey and men on road repairs

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrisHughes

Lt Antsey and men on road repairs Empty
PostSubject: Lt Antsey and men on road repairs   Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 2:18 pm

Sorry I am new to the forum and not sure of protocols. Have read everything I can get my hands on for the past 20 years, especially re Isandlwana.
Question is I recently saw some photos of cairns on the "fugitives trail" supposed to be remains of 24th, Lt Antsey's men, who I have read were sent out early in the day on road repairs.
Did they make it back to the line - as I also read a runner was sent early in the picture to retrieve them - or is it known that they died retreating down the trail?
Also, I have read that a significant proportion of the Imperial Infantry died either on or over the Nek?
Any comments (and advice on protocols in the forum) appreciated.
Chris H
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Lt Antsey and men on road repairs   Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 3:02 pm

Hi Chris and welcome.
Protocols?
Enjoy yourself, robust debate is good, no bad language and no personal attacks.

Otherwise take part in the discussions, ask questions give opinions and have fun.

Learn and share.

Thats about it really.

In terms of Anstey.............. its so debatable( like most things at isandlwana), as to where the fatigue party was working. There is evidence that suggests they were working in front of the camp along the road that Chelmsford used in his advance.He was in the firing line and retreated back along the mountain face to the neck and then a fighting retreat down the mountain reverse to his final point on the stream. If you look on Google earth here are a cluster of cairns right on the banks of the stream. Ansteys body was found there.
Have a look at Jammies site, there is a link below left. It shows the trail and the progression of the cairns. It was likened as a string with knots stretching down to the stream, Norris Newman I think.
Probably the greatest number of cairns/graves are in the region of the 1/24 th tent area and the wagon park stretching over the neck and then down towards the fugitives trail.

Explore this site there are lots of threads dealing with Anstey and the Fugitives trail itself.

Regards

Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: Lt Antsey and men on road repairs   Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 9:51 pm

http://1879zuluwar.forumotion.com/t248-lieutenant-edgar-anstey-1st-battalion-24th-regiment-of-foot
Back to top Go down
ChrisHughes

PostSubject: Re: Lt Antsey and men on road repairs   Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:46 pm

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.
I am absolutely absorbed with the AZW, Isandlwana in particular and any info is great.
I think my interest started when I was in the military (Australian Army - Engineer Corps) and during recruit training they screened "Zulu" for us. This was in 1977 and my interest has only grown since then.
I'll have a look at the site. Cheers
Back to top Go down
ChrisHughes

PostSubject: Re: Lt Antsey and men on road repairs   Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 12:12 am

Thanks again, Jamie's site fantastic info and photo's - will need a few hours to absorb.
I hadn't realised Durnford's last stand was so close to "Blacks Koppie" and so far out to the right flank.
I had imagined him closer in to the middle of the "saddle".
Also previously thought most of the 24th didn't manage a fighting retreat - my initial reading was Donald Morris, and I inferred that the 24th companies were basically overwhelmed not far from their initial positions in the line.
Think I'll need to visit Isandlwana. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Lt Anstey and his men on road repairs    Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 12:59 am

Hi Chis .
I dont know what you've read on the war but you should read the New Ian Knight book Zulu Rising and Mike Snooks
How Can Men Die Better, not many footnotes in snook but the way he describes the battle from his mlitary point of view,
he was a Lt - Col in the Royal Reg Wales ( 24th , SW Borderer's ) is excellent . Isandlwana , must get there one day myself.
Holts Tours are running a tour through Zululand in October through November Ian Knight is leading it , they run these tours
annually .
cheers 90th
Back to top Go down
ChrisHughes

PostSubject: Re: Lt Antsey and men on road repairs   Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 1:23 am

Thanks, actually have both of those books on order from Amazon.
Looking forward to getting into them and no doubt will have lot's of comments to post once read.
Note you are in Melbourne, I'm from there as well but working in Malaysia past 4 years.
Won't be able to make it this year to Isandlwana, but sounds good, I'll work on going in 2012.
Appreciate your replies. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Anstey last stand   Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 2:09 pm

Hello Springbok9,

ANSTEY's men have retreating back to their final point near the banks of the stream.

Why did not any of them manage to cross the river?

(I am never going to Isandlwana).

Cheers

YMOB
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Lt Antsey and men on road repairs   Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 3:20 pm

YMOB
Sorry My extremely limited French doesnt allow me to put this better.

Picture in your mind the setting. A sharply sloping hill down towards a very sharp 3 to 4 meter vertical drop to the stream. Anstey and his men have fought a rear guard action all the way across the battlefield, staged a stand on the neck, quite possibly have staged another stand in an old kraal, retreated some 750 meters down the slope to the top of the bank. They are probably out of ammunition and are fighting at close quarters with bayonet. So the zulus are literally at arms length away, screaming and shouting, threatening with spears, the atmosphere would have been intense, sweat pouring out of the troops along with the raw fear. Across the stream there are hoards of zulu having chased the fugitives and are now returning. So zulus in front, a precipice behind, if the manage to jump the precipice zulus are waiting at the bottom.
There is absolutly no where to go. They did the only thing they could do, fight to the death a give a good account of themselves.

If you decide not to go to isandlwana you will be missing a unique experience, its one of the few battlefields in the world that lets you feel exactly what happened. The fugitives trail walk and a cold swim at the end crossing the drift, a staggering walk up the hill to the final resting place of M and C and a sharp walk to warm up at the bar of the Fugitives Lodge..............magical.

Try it

Regards
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Lt Antsey and men on road repairs   Lt Antsey and men on road repairs EmptyTue Aug 16, 2011 4:03 pm

Hi Springbok9,

Yes!!, a resolute enigma (for me)!!!

A very clear picture and "atmosphère" of the ANSTEY's last stand!!!!

Thank you for the realistic description!

I will want to go to Isandlwana.

It's a dream.

But South africa is a very expansive travel for me (and my wife!!!).

Regards
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr

Lt Antsey and men on road repairs
Page 1 of 1