WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu. Lieutenant John Chard: The army doesn't like more than one disaster in a day. Bromhead: Looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at their breakfast.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» The Pictorial World - March 15th 1879
A grand welcome home. EmptyYesterday at 1:13 pm by ben2000

» The lost diary of Pvt James Owen
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jul 25, 2024 12:03 pm by miklew

» Last of the 24th at Isandhlwana
A grand welcome home. EmptyWed Jul 24, 2024 6:16 pm by John Young

» What was the uniform of field marshals/generals in the zulu war?
A grand welcome home. EmptyMon Jul 22, 2024 6:53 am by John Young

» Henderson and the NNH at Rorke's Drift
A grand welcome home. EmptySat Jul 20, 2024 12:17 pm by SRB1965

» Capt. D. Hayes 1/3rd Regt., NNC
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jul 18, 2024 11:11 am by Julian Whybra

» The Wrecked Camp
A grand welcome home. EmptyWed Jul 17, 2024 4:33 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private N/N John Robert Branch 90th Regiment and his discovered diary
A grand welcome home. EmptyMon Jul 15, 2024 8:53 pm by 1879graves

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
A grand welcome home. EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 12:06 pm by 1879graves

» 90th foot sgt T. Collins 214
A grand welcome home. EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 10:57 am by johnman

» Baron Von Steitencron
A grand welcome home. EmptyWed Jul 10, 2024 3:10 pm by Julian Whybra

» Sgt Joseph Windridge, Defender of Rorke's Drift - Memorial
A grand welcome home. EmptyTue Jul 09, 2024 3:15 am by 90th

» Writing advice
A grand welcome home. EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 4:04 pm by Julian Whybra

» South Africa 1877-79, 1 clasp, 1877-8-9 (4389 Fr. Sergt. S. Smith. O/2. Bde. R.A.)
A grand welcome home. EmptySun Jul 07, 2024 9:30 am by rai

» The trashing of the Zulu monument to the brave warriors at Isandlawana March 12, 2024 has been blamed on scrap metal scavengers.
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:41 pm by ADMIN

» The Goodwill Zulu Festival: Celebrating the Welsh and KwaZulu Natal Shared Heritage.
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:27 pm by ADMIN

» Any nominal role of G Coy 2/24th regiment
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 11:18 am by Wayne

» Bassage Diary
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 9:31 am by Julian Whybra

» Prior to Sihayo's Kraal
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 9:19 am by 90th

» British Fort Locations
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 3:40 am by 90th

» Sergeant 1064 Tom Hick / Hicks G Company 2/24th Regiment
A grand welcome home. EmptyWed Jul 03, 2024 11:05 am by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
A grand welcome home. EmptyFri Jun 28, 2024 2:31 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» Private 25B/279 Henry Sears Bugler E Company 24th Reg. KIA Isandlwana
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jun 27, 2024 1:07 pm by gardner1879

» Hamilton Browne's birthday
A grand welcome home. EmptyFri Jun 21, 2024 9:22 am by Julian Whybra

» Zulu "Corps"
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jun 20, 2024 6:01 pm by Hobbes

» Army Pay Department Personnel
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jun 20, 2024 11:49 am by Julian Whybra

» Ntshingwayo birth date
A grand welcome home. EmptySun Jun 16, 2024 11:37 am by Hobbes

» Zibhebhu and Cetshwayo's family
A grand welcome home. EmptyWed Jun 05, 2024 9:11 pm by Julian Whybra

» Smith's Store/Hotel
A grand welcome home. EmptyWed Jun 05, 2024 6:06 pm by Julian Whybra

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
A grand welcome home. EmptyTue Jun 04, 2024 5:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Shaka iLembe
A grand welcome home. EmptySat Jun 01, 2024 1:27 pm by Jon84

» Bugler 1415 Thomas Finn / Flin 90th Regiment
A grand welcome home. EmptySat May 25, 2024 11:28 am by johnman

» Inspector-General Evelyn Richard Hugh Pollard
A grand welcome home. EmptyTue May 14, 2024 10:13 am by ADMIN

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
A grand welcome home. EmptySat May 11, 2024 8:01 am by Julian Whybra

» Fairlie's Native Police
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu May 02, 2024 9:12 pm by Hobbes

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
July 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
A grand welcome home. Bar_leftA grand welcome home. BarA grand welcome home. Bar_right 
Branchjr
A grand welcome home. Bar_leftA grand welcome home. BarA grand welcome home. Bar_right 
1879graves
90th
SRB1965
John Young
paulhellier
Hobbes
johnman
ADMIN
New topics
» The Pictorial World - March 15th 1879
A grand welcome home. EmptyYesterday at 1:13 pm by ben2000

» The lost diary of Pvt James Owen
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jul 25, 2024 12:03 pm by miklew

» Last of the 24th at Isandhlwana
A grand welcome home. EmptyWed Jul 24, 2024 5:53 pm by miklew

» What was the uniform of field marshals/generals in the zulu war?
A grand welcome home. EmptySun Jul 21, 2024 12:30 pm by darthvaix

» Henderson and the NNH at Rorke's Drift
A grand welcome home. EmptyFri Jul 19, 2024 1:29 pm by SRB1965

» Capt. D. Hayes 1/3rd Regt., NNC
A grand welcome home. EmptyWed Jul 17, 2024 10:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» The Wrecked Camp
A grand welcome home. EmptySun Jul 14, 2024 8:51 am by 61MECH

» The trashing of the Zulu monument to the brave warriors at Isandlawana March 12, 2024 has been blamed on scrap metal scavengers.
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:41 pm by ADMIN

» The Goodwill Zulu Festival: Celebrating the Welsh and KwaZulu Natal Shared Heritage.
A grand welcome home. EmptyThu Jul 04, 2024 7:27 pm by ADMIN

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

A grand welcome home.

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
24th

24th

A grand welcome home. Empty
PostSubject: A grand welcome home.   A grand welcome home. EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 12:46 pm

I have just been reading an account of Chards return to England. It seems to have been a grand affair, with the people of England paying their gratitude, for his services and heroic deeds in S.A.
I have been looking for other events dedicated to others returning home from the Zulu War, but can only find Chards.
They seemed to have welcome the troops home with a lot more respect then, than they do today.

From the Royal Engineers Museum. Website

Reception at Home: Chard and Robson

Major Chard and Driver Robson arrived at Portsmouth aboard a chartered ship the SS Egypt, where a large gathering of generals, including the Commander in Chief His Royal Highness The Duke of Cambridge, were waiting to greet them. Amongst other passengers were several other Rorke's Drift defenders, including Surgeon Major James Reynolds VC and Gunner Arthur Howard (a former patient at the makeshift hospital).
Once home Major Chard VC commenced an unofficial tour of the country, being requested to leave a contact address with the adjutant general so that an audience with Queen Victoria could be arranged. First stop was the home of his sister in Moredon, Somerset. News of the visit travelled fast and a huge crowd of over 4,000 had gathered at Taunton railway station to greet Chard's train. Chard and his family were then taken by carriage through the streets of Taunton, to the strains of 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' and on to the village of North Curry with its streets decorated with banners. A large party was also held.
Other welcoming receptions continued - Plymouth, London and Chatham. At Chatham, Chard was "entertained" by his fellow officers at Brompton Barracks. Several Zulu warriors were amongst the guests.
On 10th October, Chard and Robson went to Balmoral and an audience with Queen Victoria and at the beginning of November, in Somerset, Robson parted company from Chard. The year 1879 drew to a close, ushering in a more routine way of life. Chard was posted and went on to further promotion and Robson to normal army service holding a reference from Chard:

If anyone has any information regarding welcoming our troops home from the AZW please let me know. Regardless of who they are.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: welcome home   A grand welcome home. EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 1:54 pm

hi 24th.

I seem to recall reading of a simliar welcome when WOOD and BULLER returned home, cant think where i saw it.
hope someone can recall seeing it, and pass it on.

cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: welcome home   A grand welcome home. EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 2:03 pm

hi 24th.

Forgot to add, i shall look through ' FROM MIDSHPMAN TO FIELD MARSHAL " , EVELYN WOOD's own story, i may have read about his triumphant return to england in his book.

cheers 90th.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: A grand welcome home.   A grand welcome home. EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 10:22 pm

24th Chards Return to England. in two parts. Source: Colchard

29. On the morning of 2nd.October,l879,HMT ‘Egypt’ (a National Line passenger/cargo steamship of 4500 tons, built in 1871),berthed at Portsmouth. On board were Major Chard VC; Surgeon-Major J.H.Reynolds,MB; VC. (of Rorke's Drift fame),Lieutenant E.S.Browne,VC. (Hiobane on 28th.March, 1879) and l/24th.Regiment of Foot, under the command of Colonel W.R.Glyn,CB; together with other representative Corps.

30. Shortly after the 'Egypt' had berthed, the Commander-in Chief, H.R.H.The Duke of Cambridge, arrived with Prince Edward of Saxe Weimar. A telegram from H.M.Queen Victoria was delivered to Major Chard, welcoming him home and asking him to visit her at Balmoral. The 1/24th.Regiment of Foot were paraded on the quay, where they were inspected by the Duke of Cambridge. There was great interest shown at the display of the much faded and tattered Queen's Colours, for which Lieutenants T.I Melvill and N.J.A.Coghill lost their lives in attempting to save them ,after the defeat at Isandhlwana and for which they were both awarded a posthumous Victoria Cross in 1907. Following an address by the Duke of Cambridge, the 1/24th.Regiment of Foot returned aboard HMT. 'Egypt' for the midday meal and to prepare for disembarkation.

31. In the afternoon of 2nd.October,1879,the l/24th.Regiment of Foot were disembarked and marched to their barracks at Gosport, during which they were enthusiastically welcomed by large crowds lining the route.

32. Major Chard, apparently in excellent health, also disembarked, intending to proceed to North Curry, near Taunton, Somerset to visit his sister and brother-in-law,Major and Mrs.Barrett of Moredon. Besides the Royal invitation to attend Balmoral, Major Chard was asked to attend functions at the Wanderers Club, London, Chatham, Bury, Taunton, Langport, North Curry and Plymouth.

Reception in Taunton.

33. Following prior arrangements, Major Chard arrived at Taunton, on the 1.20 pm train from Bristol, on 3rd.October 1879. He was met at the Railway Station by a large crowd of townspeople ,relatives and friends, including an official welcoming party, made up of the Mayor of Taunton, the Town Clerk and most of the members of the Corporation. Major Chard was accompanied by his brother-in-law, Major William Barrett and his batman,12046 Driver Charles Robson of the Royal Engineers, the young soldiers carrying Zulu assegais and other trophies of the campaign.

34. Taunton Borough Town Clerk Nr.T Meyler read the following address, in the open space , in front of the downside of the Railway Station, before a large gathering:

"To Major John Rouse Merriott Chard,R.E.: VC. - We the Mayor, Alderman and the Burgesses of the Borough of Taunton ,most cordially welcome you on your return amongst us; more especially we do so as in you we recognise the officer whose promptitude, skill and energy organised and carried out the defences which enabled a small but courageous body of British soldiers to withstand the furious onslaughts of the Zulu army, flushed with victory and fearless of danger. To you,to Major Bromhead, and your gallant companions, your country owes her gratitude and thanks for averting the horrors of an invasion of her Colony of Natal. As long as the annuals of our times exist, so long will the names of Chard, Bromhead and Rorke's Drift be inseparably connected and be recorded and remembered in one of the brightest pages of our national history.

Given under the common seal of the Borough of Taunton, this third day of October,1879.

Thos.Meyler, Town Clerk. Meyer Jacobs, Mayor.

35. In his speech of welcome,the Mayor of Taunton said:

"Major Chard in asking you to accept this tribute of our admiration for the courageous conduct you displayed during the late war, J am sure it will be no idle compliment to see we are proud of the distinction which you have won. Conduct such as you have displayed is common almost to every English officer, when placed in trying circumstances. We are proud of the gallantry you and your noble band showed on that occasion and welcome you back to Taunton with feelings of heartfelt gratitude that your life has been spared and we hope that the honours that have been conferred upon you and cheerfully accorded to you, will not in any manner, prevent you still carrying on the duties of your noble service. We feel quite sure that, the thanks of the Corporation of Taunton will be the earnest of many to follow, for it is no compliment for me to tell you that, your conduct has met with the admiration of the whole of your countrymen. We are proud of the distinction you have won, and we feel additionally proud in knowing that you are associated by families ties with this immediate neighbourhood. We are pleased at being the first to welcome you back to your native land, and we shall ever retain a pleasant recollection of the fact that we were the first to offer you are thanks on the one part and our congratulations on the other, for the nobility of conduct you have displayed in defence of our country. Nay you retain this address for many years and have pleasant recollections of the fact that, we have the first of welcoming home to your native country:'

36. Major Chard,who was received with prolonged cheering, replied:

"Mr.Mayor and gentlemen - I am too much overcome by my own feelings and by the novelty of the position I find myself in to find words in which to sufficently express my thanks for the kind welcome you have given me today, and the honour you have done me on this occasion. It is always one of the pleasantest episodes in a soldier's career, when he is returning once more to England after foreign service, especially when that service has been a campaign where there have been hard knocks and hard work knocking around. Especially has it been pleasant to me on this occasion coming home, as I have with the gallant 24th.Regiment,whose name will live forever in the history of the country. I shall ever be proud myself of being associated with that Regiment at Rorke's Drift, and on landing in England, it was especially gratifying to me to find that even after the lapses of so long a time and after so many other stirring occurences had taken place, and so many other gallant deeds have been done, that what happened in January last, in a little obscure corner in Natal, is still remembered, although it might well be forgotten. I am deeply grateful for all that has been said. I shall never forget the kindness you have shown me on this occasion. As a West Countryman, this address from you, the Chief Magistrate of Taunton, is particularly gratifying to me and the kindly welcome I have received from the people of Taunton, J shall never forget as long as I live. I thank you very sincerely’.

37. Colonel Rawlins, whose son served in Natal during the war said:

"I think it ought to be known that, Her Majesty the Queen has just sent to welcome Major Chard home, and I am sure we all rejoice in it. There is a young officer, who was almost the first to shake hands with Major Chard at Rorke's Drift - Lieutenant Walsh -let us give one cheer. There is another gallant fellow on the box. He was at Rorke's Drift and distinguished himself in a gallant manner. Let us give him one cheer. And now God speed them".

38. A procession led by the Mayor's carriage, followed by Major Chard, proceeded through the streets of Taunton and were given a tremendous reception from the townspeople, as they passed. On arriving at the Borough boundary, in East Reach, the Mayor's party left the procession and Major Chard was driven on to North Curry, where elaborate preparations had been made for his reception.

Reception in North Curry.

39. When it was known that Major Chard would be staying with Major William and Mrs.Charlotte Barrett, his brother-in-law and sister, at Moredon just out-the village of North Curry, a committee under the Chairmanship of the Vicar of North Curry, the Reverend R.C. L.Browne, with Nr.William Pyne as Secretary, set about organising arrangements for the welcome of Major Chard.

40. The village of North Curry was extensively decorated with flags, flowers, banners and decorative arches by the morning of Friday,3rd.October,l879 Approaching the village from the direction of Taunton, a large arch had been erected across the road at Borough Post, with the words "Welcome to North Curry ",highlighted on it. Opposite the house of Mr.J.A.Rouse, in Windmill Road, was another arch, with a shield on top ,bearing the Chard crest - "Nil perandum", surmounted by an eagle. Opposite the Wesleyan Chapel, was another arch, with the inscription "Long Life to Major Chard". Nearby, at the begining of Greenway Road, was another arch, displaying Major Chard's initials "J.R.N.C",with the letters "VC" beneath. Outside the residence of Dr.Olivey, were two banners inscribed, "God Save the Queen" and "God Bless the Prince of Wales", all set off with a display of flowers and an arch, with the words, "Honour to the Brave". In front of Mr William Foster's house, there was a coloured portrait of Major Chard. At the village centre of Queen's Square, the fir trees and nearby houses were bedecked with flags and flowers. Outside the Bird-in-Hand Inn was an arch made up of replica mealie-bags and rows of biscuit and meat tins, bearing the names of Chard and Bromhead and the inscription, "Joy to the Defenders of Rorke's Drift". The Post Office was decorated and close by was an arch stating, "The Natal Preservers" and "Health and Happiness". In front of Nr.Lockyer's residence was a banner bearing the words. "Welcome to The Gallant Major Chard - The Hero of Rorke's Drift" and there was a similar banner set up over the entrance to Mr.R.Batten's premises. On the Stoke Gregory road, leading to Moredon, were two arches bearing the messages, " Health and Happiness "and "Peace and Prosperity". By Mr.Wescombe 5 residence was a banner inscribed, "welcome to the Brave" and leading towards Moredon was another arch - "Ulundi and Home". Opposite the lodge entrance to Moredon was a substantial archway, bearing the words, "Welcome to Moredon"and a representation of the Victoria Cross.

Last edited by Chelmsfordthescapegoat on Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: A grand welcome home.   A grand welcome home. EmptySun Jul 19, 2009 10:22 pm

41. Long before 2pm.on a fine October afternoon, a huge crowd of people began to congregate in the open space around Borough Post, a short distance outside North Curry, on the Taunton road. They came from North Curry Parish Othery and neighbouring parishes. The people came on on horseback, in carriages and in other forms of transport, to witness the reception and it soon became apparent that, the estimated 3,000 people in attendance,in including at least 100 on horseback, was causing serious overcrowding. As a result, the organising committee had to get the gathering to move back to higher ground, so that all could see the reception. This was achieved with the cooperation of a happy crowd, in a holiday mood.

42. As soon as the carriage bringing Major Chard, accompanied by Major and Mrs.Barrett and Major Chard's elder brother, Captain William Chard,Royal Fusiliers, came into sight, the Band of the 3rd.Somerset (Taunton)Rifle Volunteers, struck up with "See the Conquering Hero Comes" and prolonged and loud cheering from the crowd. Eventually, some semblance of order was achieved and the Reverend R.C.L. Browne, mounted on horseback was able to open the proceedings by reading and presenting a formal address:

"To Major John Rouse Merriott Chard,R.E; V.C. We the inhabitants of North Curry, Othery and neighbourhood, with which you and your family have been and are connected, whilst thankfully acknowledging the goodness of Providence in specially preserving and sheltering you from the dangers to which you have been exposed, cordially and affectionately welcome you on your safe return to your family and country, and take this opportunity of respectively expressing our heartfelt admiration of your self-devotion, talents and gallantry in the Zulu War, and particularly during that trying night at Rorke's Drift, when,with only a handful of brave soldiers and merely extemporised defences, you kept at bay an almost overpowering force of the enemy; and this probably, under the Divine providence, saved the Colony of Natal from destruction, and defended the honour of your country. "It is an additional cause of gratitude to us that her most gracious Majesty has recognised your services as well by the promotion which you have so well earned as by investing you with the Victoria Cross, the highest distinction for personal bravery which can be conferred upon the British soldier or sailor, whatever the rank he may hold in the service of his Sovereign.

"And in conclusion, we may wish you health and happiness, and pray that your valuable life may long be spared to enjoy the honours you have gained, and to be of further benefit to your family and country".

Signed: Robert Charles Lathom Browne,Chairman.

The Address was signed by the following members of the Committee:

Reverend R. C. Lathom Browne (Chairman) ,Reverend E.

Godson, Reverend W. Codrington, Reverend C.N. Gilliam, Dr.

H.P.Olivey and Messrs. C.R.Norris,T.Hellard,W.W.

Lock, H. Lockyer, G. Goodson, J. Badcock, J. H. Dunning, C. E.

Vile,J.A.Rouse,Philip Foster,J.Southwood,J.Temlatt,

H. Barrington, J. Hembrow, Charles Lockyer, F. J. Coo~bs,

J.Meaker,H.N. Hunt, W. House, R. Turner, J. F. Collier, C.

Glyde and William Pyne,Secretary.

43. Major Chard remained standing in his carriage throughout the address and, in response, commented that, he recognised so many faces in the gathered crowd and he was so overwhelmed by the honour he had been granted. He recalled that ,on arrival at Taunton earlier in the day, one of the first to meet him was Lieutenant H.A.Walsh of the l3th.Regiment of Foot, who also happened to be the first man who rode up to him after the defence of Rorke's Drift. He said he was personally glad to see members of the l3th.Regiment of Foot, so well represented as they excelled during the campaign in Zululand, when serving with General Wood's Column. He was very happy that he had survived the fighting and the dangers of disease, and specifically mentioned Dr. Hyde and his wife, who come from nearby Aller, in Somersetshire, who unquestionably nursed him back to good health after he had fallen sick with enteric fever shortly after the fight at Rorke's Drift. He regretted that, Major Bromhead, who was still serving in South Africa and Surgeon-Major Reynolds,who had accompanied him home to England,were not with him that day,to share in the wonderful reception he had been given in Somerset. However, he pointed out that,12046 Driver Charles Robson, his orderly, was present and would note how well their services in South Africa were appreciated. He ended his speech with his sincere thanks for all their kindness.

44 After Major Chard's response and when all the cheering and handshaking had finished, the horses were removed from his carriage and ropes fastened to it, by which volunteers, including a number of soldiers in the uniform of the l3th.Regiment of Foot, could pull the carriage along the route to be taken. The procession was formed up in the following order:

The Union-Jack - Carried by Nr.J.Balch,a former Guardsman;

The Band of the 3rd.Somerset Rifle Volunteers;

Ancient Order of Foresters:

North Curry Friendly Society;

Townsmen, four abreast;

The Reception Committee, on horseback;

Major Chard's carriage, with escort;

Private carriages;

Other tenantry, on horseback; and,

North Curry and other tenantry, on horseback.

45. The procession left Borough Post and made its way down Windmill Hill, past the junction with Greenway and theWesleyan Chapel, taking the road through the centre of

North Curry, passing the Bird-in-Hand Inn and the Post Office and then on to the Stoke Gregory Road,heading towards Moredon. Along the whole route, heavily decorated with arches, banners, flags and garlands, cheering crowds competed with the crack of anvils being fired and the music of the Military Band. The whole scene was one of boisterous happiness, pleasure and earnest welcome for a peoples hero. There is the delightful story of Major Chard being rather overawed by the occasion, and Mrs. Charlotte Barrett chastising her younger brother, by telling him to remove his hat and wave!

46. On arrival at the Lodge and entrance to Moredon, Major Chard was met by his mother, who he embraced affectionately, whilst the Band played "Home Sweet Home" and the gathered crowd expressed appreciation for this public act of affection.

47. As the Band played "The Noble Twenty-Fourth",Major Chard returned to his carriage, at which point, the call went up for a speech from Major Barrett. Major Barrett said he could not find words to properly express his appreciation for the reception accorded to Major Chard. He was most pleasantly surprised at the demonstration given in the village, which had surpassed all his expectations. He assured the crowd, it was a very proud moment in his life to witness such a day at Moredon. In welcoming home his brother-in-law, he said, it would always remain impressed on his memory, as long as he lived and wished to say how grateful he was to the organising committee and all those who had contributed and participated in the day's welcome.

48. Sir Percy Douglas, a former military commander in South Africa, was then called to address the crowd. He explained the hardships and dangers met by soldiers serving their country in South Africa. He was convinced that Major Chard fully merited the honours and awards he had earned for his leadership and the example he had set at Rorke's Drift. He felt very proud to be associated with Major Chard and the people of North Curry and the surrounding villages, who had shown their full appreciation, in welcoming Major Chard, on his return to Somerset.

49. Following Sir Percy's speech, Major Chard was taken to an adjoining field, under the tenancy of a Nr.Jeanes, together with all those who had taken part in the procession. In the field, several large marquees had been erected by Mr.Jeffrey Denman of Bridgwater,in which large quantities of sandwiches, beer and tea were provided for all concerned.

50. The day's proceedings were interrupted by an interesting ceremony, in which Mrs. Charlotte Barrett presented a bronze medal, awarded by the Royal Humane Society to a young boy named Frederick Brewer, who,risking his own life, had gone to the assistance of two other boys, who had got themselves into difficulties, whilst bathing in the River Tone. Whilst in the act of saving the two boys, Frederick Brewer himself got into trouble and was in danger of drowning. Two other boys, named Charles and Henry Hayes, at considerable personal risk to themselves, managed to save young Brewer and, for their bravery, both received a Royal Humane Society parchment citation. Apparently, Mrs.Barrett had witnessed these events and the awards were secured through the efforts of Dr. Olivey.

51. Further speeches were then delivered by the Reverend E. Godson of Burrow Bridge and the Reverend C.M.Gillam of Othery, speaking as representatives on behalf of those external to the Parish of North Curry. Both Reverend gentlemen spoke highly of Major Chard's courage, devotion to duty and bravery. Both were proud of Major Chard's association with this part of Somerset and all were profoundly pleased he had been rewarded for his valour by the award of the Victoria Cross.

52. Festivities continued throughout the afternoon and in the evening there was a firework display, including coloured fires, roman candles and sky-rockets, all supplied by Nr.Curry of Fore Street, Taunton.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: welcome home   A grand welcome home. EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 2:53 am

hi 24th.
The following " FROM MIDSHIPMAN TO FIELD MARSHALL" by EVELYN WOOD.

We reached PLYMOUTH on 26 th august, where my wife, brother and sisters met me, and i went as soon as possible on a visit to my brother in law at BELHUS, where my mother was staying. SIR THOMAS LENNARD"S tenantry giving me a great reception. The village of AVELEY was decorated, and the inhabitants taking out the horsespulled the carriage up to the house. The fishmongers company , of which i had become a member in 1874, entertained me at dinner on the 30th september. Earlier on the 20th sep i attended a sale of SIR THOMAS LENNARD"S hunters at BELHUS, and this being in the papers and that i was attending drew many of the labouring classes to come and see me. On the 14th oct the county of ESSEX entertained me at CHELMSFORD, presenting me with a handsome sword of honour and a service plate, and in a speech at dinner, while thanking the inhabitants of ESSEX, I REPLIED TO THE ADVERSE ANONYMOUS CRITICS who had objected to my naming my comrades in previous speeches, by explaining the neccessity of bringing the nation closer in touch with its private soldiers. WOOD goes on to say " I recieved in sept a command to stay at BALMORAL and left town on the 8th sep. I was graciously recieved by HER MAJESTY , who honoured me with her conversation throughout dinner, and again the next night in addition to an hour"s interview each forenoon and afternoon, and then on until the 11th. My original invitation had been for one night only, and when i was told on thurs that i was expected to stay till sat, i was much concerned, as i had promised to visit LORD CAWDOR, who was naturally anxious to hear about his son RONALD CAMPBELL ( K.I.A HLOBANE ). .......He goes on to mention other invitations he accepted and social gatherings he was also present. He seems to have very popular on his return.

cheers 90th
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Charles Pearson (British Army officer)   A grand welcome home. EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 4:06 pm

6th October 1879 Charles Pearson received a hero's welcome in his home town of Yeovil, the church bells were rung, he was greeted by the Mayor, who compared him with previous West Country heros such as Drake, Grenville, Raleigh and Hawkins, and presented with a specially inscribed sword.The war was already somewhat controversial, the actions by Sir Bartle Frere and Lord Chelmsford which began it had not been specifically authorised by the British Government in advance, and the disaster at Isandlwana led to the defence of Eshowe by Pearson, and the famous action at Rorke's Drift being used to distract from the failure there.At this reception, Pearson defended the conduct of the war, and was supported by Sir Percy Douglas, who had preceded Chelmsford as the commander of British forces in South Africa. He was invested with the insignia of a Companion of the Bath by Queen Victoria at Windsor Castle on 8 December,and those of a Knight Commander of the Order of St Michael and St George (KCMG) on 11 December 1879, although this award was not actually gazetted until 19 December.
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
old historian2

old historian2

PostSubject: Re: A grand welcome home.   A grand welcome home. EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 9:33 pm

Is there any information with regards to home welcoming, for the ordinary soldier like James Marshall or Caleb Wood? As it seems the only replies are about well-known officers.
I have been looking but drawn a blank.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: A grand welcome home.   A grand welcome home. EmptyMon Jul 20, 2009 9:42 pm

I would image the ordinary soldier homecoming, would have been family orientated rather than public. The legacy series by Kris Wheatley, covers the not so well known hero’s. The defenders of Rorke’s Drift, so there might be a reference to the soldiers home coming in there. I expect in the little towns and villages, they would have had a celebration for the troops coming home.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: common soldier welcome home   A grand welcome home. EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 9:56 am

hi all.

In regards to the welcome home for the common soldier, i cant remember reading anything about it. I have just recently purchased the HEROES OF RORKES DRIFT VOL 1 - 6 by KRIS WHEATLEY. I will skim through and see what i can find and post anything of interest.
I was fortunate to find these books on ebay u.k for only 4.95 quid each and new. At the royal regt wales online shop i think they are 10 quid each !!!!!.

cheers 90th
Back to top Go down
old historian2

old historian2

PostSubject: Re: A grand welcome home.   A grand welcome home. EmptyTue Jul 21, 2009 11:12 am

LEGACY Volume 1 includes Kris’s research on Corporal Francis Attwood DCM, Sergeant Henry Gallagher, Private Garet Hayden, Colour-Sergeant George Mabin, Rowland Miller, Sergeant Frederick Millne, Private Robert Tongue, Sergeant Joseph Windridge and Private Caleb Wood.

LEGACY Volume 2 includes Kris’s research on Private Thomas Collins (B Company 2/24th); Bombardier Thomas Lewis (N Battery Royal Artillery); Private Thomas Levi Luddington (Army Hospital Corps); Private William Neville (B Company 2/24th); Private William Partridge (G Company 2/24th); Corporal Alfred Saxty (B Company 2/24th); Private Arthur Sears (A Company 2/24th).

LEGACY Volume 3 includes Kris’s research on Private Joseph Bromwich, Private George Deacon (Power), Private Patrick Kears, Drummer James Keefe, Corporal John Baker French, Private James Marshall, Private Thomas Moffatt – all of B Company 2/24th; and Gunner Arthur Howard (N Battery Royal Artillery).

LEGACY Volume 4 includes Kris’s research on William Bessell, Thomas Chester, Thomas Daw, Patrick Galgey, John Jobbins, Peter Sawyer (John Thomas), John Shergold, and William Wilcox; and from 1/24th John Waters.

LEGACY Volume 5 includes Kris’s research on Colour Sergeant Frank Bourne, Sergeant George Smith, Privates Henry Lines, William Martin and Samuel Pitt, and Private William Cooper

LEGACY Volume 6 includes Kris’s research on Pte Thomas Clayton, Pte Robert Cole, Pte Joshua Lodge, Cpl John Jeremiah Lyons, Pte Edward Savage, and from the Royal Engineers, Driver Charles Robson.

£9.95 Each

Please remember that the ROYALTIES go to the museum.

South Wales Borderers Museum
The Barracks
Brecon
Powys
LD3 7EB
Tel: 01874 613310
Fax: 01874 613275
Online Shop
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].u
Back to top Go down

A grand welcome home.
Page 1 of 1