WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Writing advice
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm by Matthew Turl

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

» How many started?
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:10 am by Julian Whybra

» Firing Line formation
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 22, 2024 2:32 pm by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 Bar_leftDurnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 BarDurnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 Bar_right 
Dash
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 Bar_leftDurnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 BarDurnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 Bar_right 
Hobbes
Bill8183
SRB1965
John Young
ADMIN
jgregory
90th
DavidS
New topics
» Writing advice
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm by Hobbes

» 100,000 posts!
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 4:46 pm by Will M

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Go down 
+18
John Young
old historian2
Ulundi
Dave
Ray63
90th
24th
John
ymob
Julian Whybra
Frank Allewell
impi
littlehand
Chard1879
ADMIN
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
rusteze
Mr M. Cooper
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:07 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Hi Les.

Interesting how some officers forget the orders they have sent isn't it?

Take this one for instance.

Extract from the order from Chelmsford to Col Durnford on the 8th January 1879.

quote;

"Should you consider that a counter move accross the Buffalo river will be afficacious in preventing an inroad of Zulu's into Natal, YOU ARE AT PERFECT LIBERTY TO MAKE IT.

Uhmmm, then why did LC send Col Durnford the rebuke? scratch

Do you mean this one Les.

I wonder if Durnfords actions on 14th Jan, had anything to do with that. Could he really be trusted.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Bonjour Frederic.

I think you will find that Durnford sent Shepstone on the 21st to ask LC for any fresh orders, and Shepstone returned with a message to 'hurry along to RD'.

Cheers.
Bonsoir Martin,

From Frank essay:
20th January
The No2 column under Durnford was ordered to Rorke’s Drift and made camp on the ridge some two miles inside Zulu land. In letters from Chelmsford the plan of action into Zulu land had been laid out and Durnfords Column roll within that framework. Those orders have been quoted ad nauseum and I’m not re typing them.
On the morning of the 21st George Shepstone was sent to Isandlwana (Cochrane) for further orders.
In Zulu Rising Ian Knight says that Shepstone meets Chelmsford as he and staff are riding through Gandams deserted kraal. Again according to Ian Shepstone reports that Durnford is still at Msinga accordingly Chelmsford tells Shepstone to hurry Durnfords arrival at Rorke’s Drift. This doesn’t fit the available evidence, Durnford was already at Rorke’s Drift and Shepstone knew that having just left him there.
So any orders issued by Chelmsford that day are lost, we can’t even begin to speculate what they were.

Cheers

Frédéric
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:17 pm

It matters not, what orders were issued on the 20th, the game plan changed in the early hours of the 22nd Jan. New orders were issued.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:18 pm

Chelmsfordthescapegoat wrote:
. Not just the bits that's suits you.

Dear Sir,
This is never the case.
I can make honest mistakes, that's all.
And remember, i said "very hazardous assumption".
Cheers

Frédéric
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:22 pm

ymob wrote:

Dear Sir,
This is never the case.
Cheers

Frédéric

Ymob, this was in reply to Xhosa's post.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:24 pm

ymob wrote:

Dear Sir,
This is never the case.
Cheers

Frédéric

Ymob, this was in reply to Xhosa's post.

sorry, I'm confused.
luckily I was not rude

Cheers

Frédéric
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:27 pm

Yes it was!
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:32 pm

Yes it was!

I sincerely apologize. I wanted to show my displeasure with this sneak attack but not be rude.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:34 pm

CTSG.

Well, Durnford was told he was 'at perfect liberty' on the 8th, then even after apprising LC of the threat, he gets a rebuke on the 14th, so much for being 'at perfect liberty'. scratch
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:43 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Bonjour Frederic.

Then on the 22nd Crealock sent the message to move up to the camp. There could well have been something said between LC and Crealock after Clery was told that Crealock would send the order to Durnford, because it appears that LC changed his mind about Crealock including in the order the words reinforce or strengthen.  

I think that Julian is holding back some of his findings, as like he said, he doesn't want to find his work in other publications before he himself makes it public, so we may have to wait some time for his essay before things become clearer.

Cheers.

Martin,
I repeat, it's a very hazardous assumption. I would not bet one € on my hypothesis... Very Happy
For your second point, I missed something, it is not an ongoing debate about the hypothesis of julian? scratch
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:54 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
CTSG.

Well, Durnford was told he was 'at perfect liberty' on the 8th, then even after apprising LC of the threat, he gets a rebuke on the 14th, so much for being 'at perfect liberty'. scratch

Durford was acting on information, received from a Bishop.

Can you not see the logic, when Lord Chelmsford says in his letter to Durnford.

"If movements ordered are to be delayed because report hints at a chance of an invasion of Natal, it will be impossible for me to carry out my plan of campaign"

I certainly hope you can.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 10:54 pm

In terms of Durnford's seeming to "do as he liked" (CTSG's comment) I think we too easily forget that he was a column commander, in the same way that Colonel Wood and Colonel Pearson were. Chelmsford did not interfere and second guess them in the way he did Durnford - and Glyn. He was not close enough to do it of course. That's not to say I think Durnford ignored orders, but he must have secretly viewed Chelmsford as a pain in the arse!

Steve
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:00 pm

Frederic.

I am refering to what Julian has said, that there was no mention in the order of the 22nd for Col Durnford to reinforce or strengthen the camp. Yet before that, Clery said that is what he was going to write in the order, but then Crealock intervened and said that Clery should not be issuing orders to Durnford, and LC relented and said that Crealock should do it. But yet when Crealock does write the order, there is no mention of reinforce or strengthen, so why did he not write this. That makes me think that there must have been something said that made LC change his mind about this.

No, you have not missed anything Federic. Julian did say he was waiting to put together an essay, and did not want to post things just yet on the forum.

Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:02 pm

rusteze wrote:
In terms of Durnford's seeming to "do as he liked" (CTSG's comment) I think we too easily forget that he was a column commander, in the same way that Colonel Wood and Colonel Pearson were. Chelmsford did not interfere and second guess them in the way he did Durnford - and Glyn. He was not close enough to do it of course. That's not to say I think Durnford ignored orders, but he must have secretly viewed Chelmsford as a pain in the arse!

Steve

Steve I would bet, that quite a few saw Chelmsford as a pain in the arse, I see my boss as a pain in the arse.
However, we must agree, Durnford was more of a high risk, that Wood and Pearson.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:05 pm

ymob wrote:
Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Bonjour Frederic.

I think you will find that Durnford sent Shepstone on the 21st to ask LC for any fresh orders, and Shepstone returned with a message to 'hurry along to RD'.

Cheers.
Bonsoir Martin,

From Frank essay:
20th January
The No2 column under Durnford was ordered to Rorke’s Drift and made camp on the ridge some two miles inside Zulu land. In letters from Chelmsford the plan of action into Zulu land had been laid out and Durnfords Column roll within that framework. Those orders have been quoted ad nauseum and I’m not re typing them.
On the morning of the 21st George Shepstone was sent to Isandlwana (Cochrane) for further orders.
In Zulu Rising Ian Knight says that Shepstone meets Chelmsford as he and staff are riding through Gandams deserted kraal. Again according to Ian Shepstone reports that Durnford is still at Msinga accordingly Chelmsford tells Shepstone to hurry Durnfords arrival at Rorke’s Drift. This doesn’t fit the available evidence, Durnford was already at Rorke’s Drift and Shepstone knew that having just left him there.
So any orders issued by Chelmsford that day are lost, we can’t even begin to speculate what they were.

Cheers

Martin,
i found this in Jakson; "Hill of the sphinx"(p.19)
On the 21st january (...) During the day, his political officer, Captain George SHEPSTONE (...) rode to Isandhlwana and back to obtain the General's instructions . We do not know the result of this journey (...)
Cheers.
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:07 pm

CTSG.

I think it may well have been because it was a Bishop that gave the information to Durnford.

Regarding the order of the 22nd, I don't think it was all that clear, and even you yourself agreed that the order was open to interpretation by Durnford.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:11 pm

Thanks Frederic.

Yes, it does look like there could well be a missing order, but as I have said, this is very strange, because Durnford is said to have kept all his orders on his person.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:13 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Frederic.

I am refering to what Julian has said, that there was no mention in the order of the 22nd for Col Durnford to reinforce or strengthen the camp. Yet before that, Clery said that is what he was going to write in the order, but then Crealock intervened and said that Clery should not be issuing orders to Durnford, and LC relented and said that Crealock should do it. But yet when Crealock does write the order, there is no mention of reinforce or strengthen, so why did he not write this. That makes me think that there must have been something said that made LC change his mind about this.

No, you have not missed anything Federic. Julian did say he was waiting to put together an essay, and did not want to post things just yet on the forum.

Cheers.

Martin, we don't need Julian to tell us was in the order, Durford received on the 22nd, we all know what the Order contained. why would Lord Chelmsford changed the wording,when he asks Crealock to send it. But also remember, Crealock states he order Durnford to take command. (His own words) at the COE.
If that order hadn't been found on the Battlefield after, we wouldn't be having this discussion now. It was Crealocks mishandling of the order, that caused the confusion.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:15 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Thanks Frederic.

Yes, it does look like there could well be a missing order, but as I have said, this is very strange, because Durnford is said to have kept all his orders on his person.

What and Julians found that one to. Now it's getting stupid. Time for bed. No
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:17 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Frederic.

Cheers.

Martin,
...and it seems that CHELMSFORD often changed his mind.
I wonder, if Julian didn't want to put post another thoughts on his hypothesis, why he had given us his revolutionary thesis? scratch

Cheers
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:20 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Thanks Frederic.

I haven't the answer Very Happy
Cheers
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:22 pm

We will have to wait for the essay I think.
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:23 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Thanks Frederic.

As we are doing sarnario's.

The original order, to reinforce the camp, we're removed from Durnfords body and destroyed. His Brother Edward, who had access to the same type of paper used back in the day, writes the Order " Move to the camp" ect. Then on his return to England plants it in the draw at Chatham RE barracks. Waiting to be found by Jackson.? It's possible.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:25 pm

[quote="Chelmsfordthescapegoat"]
Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Frederic.

. It was Crealocks mishandling of the order, that caused the confusion.

it was not the new hypothesis of Mister Whybra.If this hypothesis hadn't been found by Mister Whybra, "we wouldn't be having this discussion now".
Cheers
Frédric
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:26 pm

scratch
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:32 pm

From the "Parliamentary Papers for 1879, Further Correspondence Respecting the Affairs of South Africa. (In continuation of [C.-2367] of July 1879.)" under "Enclosure No. 10 in Cape and West Coast Station letter No. 15, of 27th January 1879.", "Sub-Enclosure. Report of Proceedings of 21st, 22nd, 23rd, and 24th January 1879.", "Sub-Enclosure. Notes on the Report of Proceedings." Lt. Milne's extract  official report.

" On leaving the camp on the morning of the 22nd, distinct orders were given to Colonel Pulleine, that should the camp be attacked, "it was to be reduced, defended, "and not to be left"" From evidence, it appears when Colonel Durnford came in from Rorke's Drift, the enemy were then in sight to the left, but some distance off. He then against Colonel Pulleine's orders sent out his basutos six miles to engage the enemy, when these men retreated, supports were sent out, to the spruit at the bottom of the camp. From evidence it appears no men at this spot fell from the rifles of the enemy, but directly our men turned to retreat into the camp, the enemy was amongst them with the assegai at once. There is a report that one gun was seen to tumble into a nullah, but whether it was spiked or not is not known." 
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:33 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Frederic.

Cheers.

Martin, we don't need Julian to tell us was in the order, Durford received on the 22nd, we all know what the Order contained. why would Lord Chelmsford changed the wording,when he asks Crealock to send it. But also remember, Crealock states he order Durnford to take command. (His own words) at the COE.
If that order hadn't been found on the Battlefield after, we wouldn't be having this discussion now. It was Crealocks mishandling of the order, that caused the confusion.

I think you are mis-quoting me. Clery said he was going to write reinforce in the order, then Crealock intervened and said Clery should not issue orders to a column commander, so LC relented and told Crealock to do it. But when Crealock wrote it, the words reinforce or strengthen were NOT in the order. I am asking was it something that was said to change LC's mind, or did Crealock just not write reinforce or strengthen, and he certainly did not write take command.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:35 pm

ymob wrote:
Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Frederic.

it was not the new hypothesis of Mister Whybra.If this hypothesis hadn't been found by Mister Whybra, "we wouldn't be having this discussion now".
Cheers
Frédric

Frederic. I did not write that, it was CTSG.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
ymob wrote:
Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Frederic.

Cheers
Frédric

Frederic. I did not write that, it was CTSG.

Martin,
I know it was CTSG;
Sorry, for the mention "Martin" before the comment.
Cheers
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Clery was order to write the orders as dictated by LC, those orders had they been sent by Clery would have contained the words strengthen. However LC directed Crealock to send the message, why the wording was changed we know not. If Julian has evidence to show different with primary source evidence, we may possibly have an answer.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:42 pm

impi wrote:
Clery was order to write the orders as dictated by LC, those orders had they been sent by Clery would have contained the words strengthen. However LC directed Crealock to send the message, why the wording was changed we know not. If Julian has evidence to show different with primary source evidence, we may possibly have an answer.

So we will have to wait for the essay.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:43 pm

No problem Frederic. agree
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:45 pm

Impi
The problem with your extract from the Blue Book is that Milne was with Chelmsford. He didn't witness any of this. He is talking about Clery's order to Pullein.

Have you found the Blue Books on line somewhere?

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:46 pm

Mr M. Cooper wrote:
No problem Frederic. agree

Martin,
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:47 pm

You can! I have loads to post.

Martin when you get time, have a look at Clery's & Crealocks statements COE.
straight from the horse mouth so to say. Might be easier to understand.
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:53 pm

impi wrote:
From the "Parliamentary Papers for 1879, Further Correspondence Respecting the Affairs of South Africa. (In continuation of [C.-2367] of July 1879.)" under "Enclosure No. 10 in Cape and West Coast Station letter No. 15, of 27th January 1879.", "Sub-Enclosure. Report of Proceedings of 21st, 22nd, 23rd, and 24th January 1879.", "Sub-Enclosure. Notes on the Report of Proceedings." Lt. Milne's extract  official report.

" On leaving the camp on the morning of the 22nd, distinct orders were given to Colonel Pulleine, that should the camp be attacked, "it was to be reduced, defended, "and not to be left"" From evidence, it appears when Colonel Durnford came in from Rorke's Drift, the enemy were then in sight to the left, but some distance off. He then against Colonel Pulleine's orders sent out his basutos six miles to engage the enemy, when these men retreated, supports were sent out, to the spruit at the bottom of the camp. From evidence it appears no men at this spot fell from the rifles of the enemy, but directly our men turned to retreat into the camp, the enemy was amongst them with the assegai at once. There is a report that one gun was seen to tumble into a nullah, but whether it was spiked or not is not known." 

Steve.
It was the highlighted bit, that was of interest to this discussion. Where that evidence came from I have yet to find. My guessing is Milne spoke to survivors. The problem with the Battle of Isandlwana, is that most of the evidence seems to have come from those who were out with Chelmsford. But were in a better position than us to gather evidence, along with having it logged in the Parliamentry Papers for 1879.

Last edited by impi on Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:54 pm

impi wrote:
You can!  I have loads to post.

Martin when you get time, have a look at Clery's & Crealocks statements COE.
straight from the horse mouth so to say. Might be easier to understand.

Thanks impi.

Clery and Crealock were both covering mistakes, more so Crealock than Clery, in fact Crealock was proven to be a liar wasn't he, so anything he states can be taken with a pinch of salt. I would put a little more faith in Clery than I would in Crealock, the man wasn't known as 'The Wasp' for nothing.
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 03, 2015 11:59 pm

True but we can only use what's available to us. The COE is a good place to start.
I don't have any problems with Clery, well not yet anyway.

It's that Crealock chap. I have this niggling feeling, he was able to manipulate & influence LC. Just another avenue to go down at some stage.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 12:07 am

impi wrote:
True but we can only use what's available to us. The COE is a good place to start.
I don't have any problems with Clery, well not yet anyway.

It's that Crealock chap. I have this niggling feeling, he was able to manipulate & influence LC. Just another avenue to go down at some stage.

Yes, Crealock was a right ______ wasn't he? And don't forget that he and LC arranged the COE, and also arranged the three officers presiding over it. Stinks a bit doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 12:11 am

As I said. " . I have this niggling feeling, he was able to manipulate & influence LC.
Away I'm tired see you tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 12:12 am

Yes, ok mate, goodnight. agree
Back to top Go down
24th

24th

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 1:16 am

impi wrote:
Julian Whybra wrote:
impi
I do indeed have the primary source for that remark.  You must have missed it by accident (Note CTSG that I do not write 'Wake Up!').  I recorded it in my post of yesterday at 5.31 pm against the relevant paragraph.

Thanks.

While you on line. Can you confirm if this is true, you will be able to give a quicker answer than most, due to your knowledge.

In "Correspondence Relative to Military Affairs in Natal and the Transvaal.", "Enclosure 3, in No. 26. (C.), "Summary of instructions for Officers Commanding Columns..." under "Colonel Durnford"

"... Unless supported by British troops this column is not to engage seriously a large force of the enemy."
Impi. Have sent you a PM.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 5:44 am

John wrote:
Mr M. Cooper wrote:
Thanks Frederic.

As we are doing sarnario's.

The original order, to reinforce the camp, we're removed from Durnfords body and destroyed. His Brother Edward, who had access to the same type of paper used back in the day, writes the Order " Move to the camp" ect. Then on his return to England plants it in the draw at Chatham RE barracks. Waiting to be found by Jackson.? It's possible.

John
In short no not possible.
The orders found in the RE museum were not the orders issued by Crealock to Durnford. The original of that order was never found, the copy was in Crealocks notebook found at isandlwana and returned to him.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 8:15 am

[quote="ymob

In my hazardous assumption i forgot to write why DURNFORD had sent HAMMER to Isandhlwana to get fresh order from CHELMSFORD : to know if CHELMSFORD had  sent already the order that he expects about the moment (the time) for the move of the camp.
In this view the subsequent testimonies of CREALOCK are not really in contradiction but incomplete (to protect the reputation of his General?)
Cheers.

Frédéric[/quote]
On the moving of the camp the 22 january, we have the testimonies of HB and Gardner.
Cheers
Frederic
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:32 am

Impi

You wrote:
“Can you confirm if this is true, you will be able to give a quicker answer than most, due to your knowledge.
In "Correspondence Relative to Military Affairs in Natal and the Transvaal.", "Enclosure 3, in No. 26. (C.), "Summary of instructions for Officers Commanding Columns..." under "Colonel Durnford"
"... Unless supported by British troops this column is not to engage seriously a large force of the enemy."

I need the C number to find the doc among my Blue Book photocopies, can you let me have it?  I may and may not be able to confirm the wording for you, I’m afraid.  In 1985 I was working from the Senate House Library in the Univ of London (which holds complete copies of the Blue Books) and if the doc was important enough I paid to have it photocopied, if not, then I summarized it in a shorthand.  But I need the C number (4 digits) to find it.

However, I would say that this doc relates to the time when there were five columns, two of which were assigned defensive operations on the Natal side of the border.  Any such instructions were superseded when Chelmsford changed No. 2 Column’s role, split it up (with some of it acting defensively at Middle Drift and some, under Durnford, ACTING IN SUPPORT OF COLUMN NO. 3 in Zululand), i.e. the previous rules of engagement no longer applied.  And so the pertinence of your quotation evaporates.

As to the questions ‘how large is a large force’ and what does ‘engage seriously’ mean take a look at Chelmsford’s Notes on the Findings of the Court of Enquiry (compiled Jan-Apr 1879 housed in the National Archives CP/31).  Capt. Essex’s additional evidence reads:
“At this time about 11 am the impression in camp was that the enemy had no intention of advancing during the day time, but might possibly be expected to attack it during the night.  No idea had been formed regarding the probable strength of the enemy’s force”
Note the time, and remember that the very last report Durnford had before leaving the camp was that the force in front of him mustered no more than 400 warriors.
You and I know, now, that there were reports of much larger numbers from individuals, some of which percolated back to Pulleine, but according to Essex’s subsequent testimony, there was no idea in the camp as to the enemy’s strength and Durnford advanced to prevent (or so he believed) Chelmsford’s force from being attacked in the rear.  Also, ask yourself, would any commander (at the head of 100 native horsemen) engage seriously a known large force of 7,000 or more Zulus?

CTSG

You wrote:
“Martin, we don't need Julian to tell us was in the order, Durford received on the 22nd, we all know what the Order contained. why would Lord Chelmsford changed the wording,when he asks Crealock to send it. But also remember, Crealock states he order Durnford to take command. (His own words) at the COE.”

You have written the last sentence as a fact and you have not qualified it so you must still believe it to be true.  Crealock believed he had written ‘take command’, or he wanted to believe it, but he did not write it.  When his notebook was found there was no such wording as ‘take command’.  Crealock admitted as much in a letter to Gen. Nicholson in which he quoted the exact wording from his notebook in the Durnford Papers in the RE Museum accession no. 4901-31/9 (IN HIS OWN WORDS).

You have also quoted Chelmsford’s famous letter to Durnford as follows:
“When a column is acting SEPARATELY in an enemy's country I am quite ready to give its commander every latitude, and would certainly expect him to disobey any orders he might receive from me, if information which he obtained showed that it would be injurious to the interests of the column under his command.”

I suggest that you read this and apply it to Durnford’s situation and the status of his column when it was received and then read it again and apply it to his situation and the status of his column on the morning of the 22nd (see my note to impi in this post above) and think about the meaning of the wording.

All

I have not found Shepstone’s order nor Hamer’s order/letter.  No more speculation or rumour please.  As we all know, rumour can all too quickly become fact.  And I won’t be held to account for something I have not found!  I am as a I said intending to present my opinions in an essay.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 10:59 am

Julian Whybra wrote:

All

I have not found Shepstone’s order nor Hamer’s order/letter.  No more speculation or rumour please.  As we all know, rumour can all too quickly become fact.  And I won’t be held to account for something I have not found!  I am as a I said intending to present my opinions in an essay.[/quote]

Bonjour Mister Whybra,
I will respect your position in the futur.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 11:07 am

Julian
When is a column not a column time?

Cheers

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 11:09 am

Or should I say 2 + 2 is whatever it wants to be ?
Its that kinda Sunday.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
impi

impi

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 11:22 am

Julian Whybra wrote:
Impi

You wrote:
“Can you confirm if this is true, you will be able to give a quicker answer than most, due to your knowledge.

I need the C number to find the doc among my Blue Book photocopies, can you let me have it?  I may and may not be able to confirm the wording for you, I’m afraid.  In 1985 I was working from the Senate House Library in the Univ of London (which holds complete copies of the Blue Books) and if the doc was important enough I paid to have it photocopied, if not, then I summarized it in a shorthand.  But I need the C number (4 digits) to find it.

However, I would say that this doc relates to the time when there were five columns, two of which were assigned defensive operations on the Natal side of the border.  Any such instructions were superseded when Chelmsford changed No. 2 Column’s role, split it up (with some of it acting defensively at Middle Drift and some, under Durnford, ACTING IN SUPPORT OF COLUMN NO. 3 in Zululand), i.e. the previous rules of engagement no longer applied.  And so the pertinence of your quotation evaporates.

I will have to check, but as I recall, the above applied shortly after Chelmsfords Letter to Dunford dated 14th Jan?

As to the questions ‘how large is a large force’ and what does ‘engage seriously’ mean take a look at Chelmsford’s Notes on the Findings of the Court of Enquiry (compiled Jan-Apr 1879 housed in the National Archives CP/31).  Capt. Essex’s additional evidence reads:
“At this time about 11 am the impression in camp was that the enemy had no intention of advancing during the day time, but might possibly be expected to attack it during the night.  No idea had been formed regarding the probable strength of the enemy’s force”
Note the time, and remember that the very last report Durnford had before leaving the camp was that the force in front of him mustered no more than 400 warriors.
You and I know, now, that there were reports of much larger numbers from individuals, some of which percolated back to Pulleine, but according to Essex’s subsequent testimony, there was no idea in the camp as to the enemy’s strength and Durnford advanced to prevent (or so he believed) Chelmsford’s force from being attacked in the rear.  Also, ask yourself, would any commander (at the head of 100 native horsemen) engage seriously a known large force of 7,000 or more Zulus?

Good question, however Col Durnford was quite happy to act on unconfirmed details from a Bishop, again prepaired to attack a Zulu army without knowing its strength. If Chelmsfords messenger hadnt arrived with the rebuke letter, Durnford would have been more than happy to engage. So yes, I believe Durnford would have attacked just about anything, that resembled a Zulu regardless of numbers.

CTSG

You wrote:
“Martin, we don't need Julian to tell us was in the order, Durford received on the 22nd, we all know what the Order contained. why would Lord Chelmsford changed the wording,when he asks Crealock to send it. But also remember, Crealock states he order Durnford to take command. (His own words) at the COE.”

You have written the last sentence as a fact and you have not qualified it so you must still believe it to be true.  Crealock believed he had written ‘take command’, or he wanted to believe it, but he did not write it.  When his notebook was found there was no such wording as ‘take command’.  Crealock admitted as much in a letter to Gen. Nicholson in which he quoted the exact wording from his notebook in the Durnford Papers in the RE Museum accession no. 4901-31/9 (IN HIS OWN WORDS).

You have also quoted Chelmsford’s famous letter to Durnford as follows:
“When a column is acting SEPARATELY in an enemy's country I am quite ready to give its commander every latitude, and would certainly expect him to disobey any orders he might receive from me, if information which he obtained showed that it would be injurious to the interests of the column under his command.”

I suggest that you read this and apply it to Durnford’s situation and the status of his column when it was received and then read it again and apply it to his situation and the status of his column on the morning of the 22nd (see my note to impi in this post above) and think about the meaning of the wording.

All

I have not found Shepstone’s order nor Hamer’s order/letter.  No more speculation or rumour please.  As we all know, rumour can all too quickly become fact.  And I won’t be held to account for something I have not found!  I am as a I said intending to present my opinions in an essay.
Back to top Go down
Mr M. Cooper

Mr M. Cooper

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.5   Durnford was he capable.5 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 04, 2015 11:22 am

Hi Springy.

Regarding Shepstone going to see LC on the 21st, I have read that he came back with just the message to tell Durnford to 'hurry along to RD', yet he is supposed to have already been at RD. Do you think that there could well be an order or message that is missing somewhere here?
Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 20Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11 ... 20  Next