WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyToday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyToday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 9:32 pm by Matthew Turl

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 Bar_leftDurnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 BarDurnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 Bar_right 
Dash
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 Bar_leftDurnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 BarDurnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 Bar_right 
Hobbes
SRB1965
Bill8183
ADMIN
jgregory
John Young
Tim Needham
1879graves
New topics
» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyToday at 5:25 pm by Julian Whybra

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyToday at 11:37 am by lydenburg

» Writing advice
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 8:57 pm by Hobbes

» 100,000 posts!
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Durnford was he capable.6

Go down 
+18
Dave
nthornton1979
ADMIN
John Young
Chard1879
24th
90th
old historian2
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
Ulundi
impi
John
Mr M. Cooper
Julian Whybra
rusteze
Frank Allewell
ymob
sas1
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 8:19 pm

Steve wrote:
nobody thought the camp was the target

Very Happy No Joker Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 9:42 pm

Bonsoir Steve, Gary and all,
Sorry, I think I misspoke.  scratch  
In others words (from “HCMDB” by M. SNOOK p.159).
“He (Durnford) gave orders for Captain William BARTON to scout the ground (…) with Nos 1 and 2 troops of Zikhali’s horse under Lt Carlie RAW and Joseph ROBERTS respectively. (…) The NNC company at Mkwene hill could be picked up en route to operate in support of the mounted troops (I.E: Not the RB)”

It seems to be a “common practice” to send cavalry (mobile troops) with infantry or RB (slow troops) in support to scout an area in territory enemy.
1°)  DURNFORD took with him cavalry, infantry and a rocket battery.
2°) RAW ( or ROBERTS) took with him cavalry and infantry (I. E: BARRY).

This was the point of my previous post. Wink

Thanks you for your answers.
Steve, I will study your 2nd point.
Cheers
Frédéric

I.E: Bonsoir CTE,
Steve is right, indeed! Nobody thought that the camp was the target, certainly not Chelmsford, Pulleine or Durnford!
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 10:01 pm

Frederic

Cavalry is for attack and scouting, they are not for defence. Mounted Infantry is meant to be good at both, able to pursue and cover ground but also to dismount and defend. The Carbineers were skilled at that but I am not so sure about the NNH. I think you are right that what Durnford did in terms of the mix of available forces was not unusual. But we come back to the severe underestimation of the abilities of the Zulus and the weight of numbers. Nobody dreamed it would take Imperial cavalry and gatling guns to overcome them.

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 10:47 pm

Steve,
Interesting comment about the use of the cavalry. NNH was probably recruiting as scouting...
My post was useful for me "to close a door".
I continue to study the "thoughts" of Durnford, Pulleine and Chelmsford to understand the decisions taken by them this day.
For example, DURNFORD said nothing to his subordinates or Pulleine about the content of the orders given by Chelmsford (somewhere it's strange...).
So we can only speculate how he understood his orders.
Other example: Chelmsford asked no question about Durnford throughout the day of the 22 january.He was not surprised not to see him in the Mangeni or not reveive news from him. Where was Durnford in his mind?. For some reasons i don't think that Durnford was at Isandhlwana in his mind (before to receipt Gardner's message).
Cheers
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 11:10 pm

Where was Durnford in Chelmsford's mind is an interesting question. I think he still wanted Durnford to operate with him, but he could not issue further orders until he had found the main Zulu force which he thought was in front of him. I think we sometimes forget that Chelmsford never knew where the Zulu army was. Not at any point - even when Isandhlwana had fallen and Rorke'S Drift attacked. Even when all that was left of the central column was his own force. Even when he was back in Natal. He was never in a position to issue orders for further action to anyone after he left the camp because he never found the enemy.

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 11:21 pm

You wrote: "i think he still wanted Durnford to operate with him".

Why not...
But where? In the Mangeni?
As i wrote previously, Chelmsford was not surprised not to see him in the Mangeni.
So where was Durnford in his mind the 22 january? Very Happy

Cheers
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 1:15 am

Frederic

My point is that Chelmsford couldn't tell Durnford where to operate until he found the Zulu force. His idea about operating against the Matyanas had been overtaken by his pursuit of a phantom Zulu army. So I think that in Chelmsford's mind, wherever  Durnford is, he is awaiting orders.

On leaving the camp in the early hours of 22nd in pursuit of the Impi, Chelmsford is effectively putting into doubt his earlier plan to operate against the Matyanas. But all he says to Durnford is to come up to the camp - it is clear to me that he is expecting to issue further orders to Durnford once he is in contact with the enemy - say by about 10 am. This is what Durnford also believes, hence his surprise when there are no orders for him when he gets to Isandhlwana. I think it is now well established that Chelmsford did not think the camp was was going to be attacked and so Durnford was not called forward for defensive purposes.

But Chelmsford had effectively been neutralised as a commander, he was unable to direct further deployment because he had totally removed himself from any engagement with the enemy.  So the order to Durnford never came.

Paradoxically, it is Durnford who identifies what the enemy is doing and he fears for Chelmsford's force. In trying to counter that he finds it is the camp that is under an overwhelming attack.

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 6:46 am

Steve,
To prove your theory, it's necessary to say where was durnford in Chelmsford mind. Salute
Cheers
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Durnford was he capable 6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 7:31 am

No argument from me Steve Salute
90th Very Happy
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 10:54 am

Frederic

If you mean where was Durnford in Chelmsford's mind geographically speaking, it depends on the time of day. He was either on his way to Isandhlwana or at Isandhlwana, or, just possibly, on the road from Isandhlwana to Mangeni (if you think the "camp" in Chelmsford's order referred to Mangeni). If you mean where was he in his Chelmsford's mind strategically, I think he was not at the front of his mind at all for as long as he could not locate the enemy. It may be that Chelmsford thought Durnford would come up to Mangeni with the rest of the column but there is no evidence of that and the order was to Pulleine. It seems highly likely to me that, had Isandhlwana not been attacked, Chelmsford would have wanted Durnford to begin scouting the country for the enemy - what else was Durnford's force equipped to do?

Steve
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 11:55 am

I don't believe that Chelmsford gave Durnford any thought what so ever after 4 in the morning. He had more than enough on his mind chasing 'will of the wisp' forces around the MANGENI and being bothered by those irksome and incomplete messages. There is no mention as far as Im aware of any conversation or snippet from ANY source that would suggest any level of conversation concerning Durnford. He had been given succinct orders by Chelmsford ( the fact that weren't passed down the line correctly is a different matter) so why would Chelmsford be concerned about him?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 1:04 pm

Hi Frank

I think that's right. It is perhaps a little surprising, considering he lacked sufficient scouting capacity, that he did not think about bringing together the mounted forces he had later in the morning. But that is just speculation - no evidence as you say. I think he was content to move the whole force further towards Ulundi and catch up with the Zulu army when he could. He never realised they were behind him. Shades of the pantomime audience shouting Look Behind You!

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 4:48 pm

Steve,
Obviously, i mean where was Dunrford in Chelsmford's mind geographically speaking.
This is the answer to this question which is insoluble...
To be more precise:
-When Chelsmford gave the order to HB to return to Isandhlwana;
-When Chelsmford said to Gardner to return at Isandhlwana;
-Between noon and 15h00 PM.
All possible answers given to these questions are easily questionable.
Cheers.
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 6:44 pm

Frederic

Geographically Durnford could only have been at one of the three places i mentioned, depending on the time of day.  But Chelmsford does not mention him again after 4.00am so we don't know what, if anything Chelmsford thought about his location. One other possibility occurs to me that might explain Chelmsford's attitude. Durnfod was a column commander in the same way that Wood was. Chelmsford was content to let column commanders exercise their own initiative within a broad framework of objectives - he had spelt that out to Durnford in a different context earlier. Perhaps he did not feel the need to issue further orders to Durnford at that point.

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 7:12 pm

Bonsoir à tous,

Hypothesis: Chelmsford wanted Durnford brought up to Isandhlwana to wait for the order to advance further.

So, why Lord Chelmsford did not give him the command of the camp as senior Officer at Isandhlwana?
Clery in the order given par him to Pulleine said: your are in command of the camp during the absence of Glyn.

We know that the orders by Chelmsford to HB and Gardner about the moving of the camp contained any mention about Durnford.
- The 22 January, HB was sent to the camp to help Pulleine for the removal of the camp;
Chelmsford said to him :"i want you to return at once to camp and assist CoL Pulleine to strike camp and come here" (I.E: total removal of the camp)
-Capt Gardner was sent to the camp "with the order to Lt-Col. Pulleine to send on the equipage and supplies of the troops caming out, and to remain at his present camp, and entrench it". (IE: partial removal of the camp).
Durnford was the commandant of an independant column and the senior Officer in the camp.
So, the order to move the camp should have been addressed to him or, at least, contained some information on his role. Crealock was renowned for the precision of his orders.

If the reason to send the 2 orders to Pulleine (about the move of the camp) and not to Durnford was because Chelmsford didn'it know if DURNFORD was arrived at Isandhlwana:
Chelmsford knew the last position of Durnford (RD). He could send a messenger to Durnford (the journey Mangeni-Isandhlwana-RD was on the same road) to inform him of the evolution of the whole plan.
Otherwise CHELMSFORD was totally unable as General: Chelmsford is certainly questionable for the Isandhlwana campaign. It is not the case for the second invasion. Chelmsford was a seasoned staff officer.

It's doubful that the convoy could get to the new camp of Mangeni before the night. il would have to stop in the dark "in the open".
For the the authors, Lock and Quantrill: "The remainder of n°3 column, and Durnford's column wherever it might be, where to stay put it seems until the morrow. despite the enemy being evident in almost every direction, Chelmsford had decided to keep his force split for the next twenty four hours".(p.179 Zulu Victory")

No mission or information for Durnford given by Chelmsford despite the move of the camp, the stop of the convoy during the night in the open, the split of the garisson, with the presence at Isandhlwana of this high rank Officer?

Too much for me, indeed!

cheers

Frédéric

Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 7:29 pm

Again Ymob some very good questions. agree
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 7:31 pm

It is hard to understand I agree.

It may be that some things are not written down. For example, it is likely that Chelmsford would not wish to regard a Colonel of Engineers (who had charge of a native force) as having authority over a senior line regiment like the 24th, particularly when he had Glyn with him. Unlike at Rorke's Drift, where there was an emergency and only junior officers were involved, there was no emergency (how wrong Chelmsford was) at Isandhlwana. It might not even have occurred to Chelmsford that placing Durnford  at Isandhlwana camp with his own column would have consequences for overall command.Only later would it became a convenient factor on which to hang blame.

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 7:44 pm

I would never have imagined this argument Shocked Shocked Shocked

Steve, you wrote: "for example"

Do you have others arguments in mind?

Cheers
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 8:05 pm

It is just the sort of thing that would never be written down so we shall never know, but the senior strata of victorian army society would have very firm views about hierarchy and what was done and not done.

The other factor that I think is worth keeping in mind is the huge amount we do not know about what was said. We are dealing with 8 hours of possible conversations between Chelmsford and his staff once he had left the camp. We probably know of about 30 minutes worth of actual conversations/orders issued, when added together. It ought to be the case that these were the important outcomes of discussion but who knows what has not been recorded. Durnford's further deployment may have been discussed and dismissed. Other orders may have been contemplated and not followed through. We base our conclusions on what we know or think we know - but it is only a partial picture.

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 8:34 pm

Totally agree with your "other factor":
That's why I confront the orders with the actions of those who have received the orders or given the orders.
and the whole picture is often illogic .....
Thank you for the possible argument about the R.E and a line Régiment.
Cheers
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 9:32 pm

Steve,
See below your possible argument confronted with orders given by Chelmsford about the camp:

First order: Order to Pulleine: "you are in command of the camp during the absence of Glyn"

-Durnford should not stay a long time at Isandhlwana (the discovery of the zulu was expected in the Mangeni)
-Not zulus attack at Isandhlwana was expected
-Routine at the camp; The authority of Durnford as senior Officer present in the camp is theorical as previously at Rorke's between Spalding and Durnford.

Orders n°2 and 3: orders given to Pulleine to move the camp
We are not in the context of the routine of the camp.
Chelmsford knows that Durnford will take the command as senior Officer (army protocol) and that Pulleine will accept the seniority of Durnford.
So Chelmsford didn't sent the orders to move the camp directly to Durnford as senior Officer in the camp to avoid to offending the sensibilities of Glyn.
Cheers

Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 10:00 pm

We know that Chelmsford has a poor reputation for staff matters. He was reminded earlier of the proper way to issue orders to Durnford by Crealock. He had, in effect, taken over the command of the column from Glyn. He was still in that mode when he sent orders to Pulleine - they should have come from Glyn. I think he was just issuing orders to whoever he thought should action them. The protocol only became useful at the Inquiry, at the time it had no prominence in Chelmsford's mind.

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyThu Jun 04, 2015 10:16 pm

rusteze wrote:
We know that Chelmsford has a poor reputation for staff matters. He was reminded earlier of the proper way to issue orders to Durnford by Crealock. He had, in effect, taken over the command of the column from Glyn. He was still in that mode when he sent orders to Pulleine - they should have come from Glyn. I think he was just issuing orders to whoever he thought should action them. The protocol only became useful at the Inquiry, at the time it had no prominence in Chelmsford's mind.

Steve
scratch
It seems we come back to the objections of my post of 8.12PM.
unless i didn't understand your message.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Tomorrow is a new day.

Cheers.
Frédéric
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:36 am

And this order was delivered correctly.

" Pulleine:you are in command of the camp during the absence of Glyn"

Not in the absence Durnford.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:56 am

Hypothesis "Chelmsford wanted Durnford brought up to Isandhlwana to wait for the order to advance further" (again).
I have some doubt on the argument ("I doubt if Chelmsford gave Durnford a second thought until he got back to iSandlwana") to justify Chelmsford's disinterest about Durnford during all the day after the famous Crealock's order.
At (about) 10:00 am, Chelmsford knew that the Cetewayo's army was not in Mangeni: He was not "stressed" or totally absorbed by the situation in front of him.
After 10 o clock, he was absorbeb by the new camp in the Mangeni and the move of the troops from Isandhlwana.
Cheers
Frédéric

Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 10:57 am

Bonjour Frederic

I think you are right about Chelmsford's concerns after 10.00am. It is about the camp at Mangeni and bringing up the rest of the column. He either assumes Durnford will come up as well, or he does not yet have a clear role for him and so he is not in his thoughts.

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 12:14 pm

Hypothesis n°2 : Durnford was on the road to The Mangeni

As you know this assumption is not relevant for me.

#There are no testimonies by Chelmsford or others senior Officers (Crealock / Glyn / Clery) or staff officer "junior ( Milne, Buller, Gosset) about "their surprise" not to see him in the Mangeni during the day.
Chelmsford learnt that Durnford was stayed at Isandhlwana only about 3h00 PM the 22 January with the receipt of the Gardner's message (from memory)".

#According to HB and CREALOCK(during the "famous picinic around" 10 am the 22 january).
HB was sent back to Isandhlwana by CREALOCK/CHELMSFORDto help Pulleine (for the move of the camp) and toto control the line of communication between Isandhlwana and the Mangeni."in case zulus were hanging about near the camp" (Crealock's statement to the COI).

If the Durnford's order in Chelmsford's mind was to go to the Mangeni (and to control the line of communication), why did Chelmsford give to HB the same order?

Happy to be corrected on my two assumptions.
Cheers.

Frédéric
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 12:47 pm

rusteze wrote:
Bonjour Frederic

I think you are right about Chelmsford's concerns after 10.00am. It is about the camp at Mangeni and bringing up the rest of the column. He either assumes Durnford will come up as well, or he does not yet have a clear role for him and so he is not in his thoughts.

Steve

Hello Steve,
So your point of view is that Chelmsford didn't send message to Durnford because Chelsmford didn't have a clear role for him between 10AM and 3 PM (receipt of the Gardner's and Pulleine's messages)?
Despite:
- the move of the camp (of Isandhlwana);
- the stop of the convoy during the night in the open;
- the split of the garisson;
-that Durnford was at Isandhlwana still waiting furthers orders all the day.

As Officer of high rank (I.E: Durnford), no need for CHELSMFORD's to inform him of a change of the plan.

We are speaking about a General of the British army, no? Very Happy

Cheers.
Frédéric

Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 12:56 pm

Your other view:
Durnford will comes up to the new Mangeni camp.

Without receving new instruction...

Cheers
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 2:04 pm

It is a puzzle and it feels like a piece is missing - which is perfectly possible.

You can see why some people think Durnford was ordered up to Isandhlwana to reinforce the camp and become integrated with the force Chelmsford left behind. That would accord with Chelmsford not issuing any further orders to him. But we know that is not what Durnford was ordered to do - perhaps Crealock got it wrong and omitted a vital part of Chelmsford's  order - Durnford was not to know that and perhaps Chelmsford didn't know it either. But it does not account for Chelmsford continuing to address orders to Pulleine later in the day.

After the events of the day Chelmsford does not express any surprise that Durnford was present at Isandhlwana and took part in the defence. He does not say he had ordered him to do anything else. So, at least by then, in Chelmsford's mind Durnford had been at Isandhlwana.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 2:13 pm

Steve/Frederic
I would suggest the key that needs to be explored, and should lead to Chelmsfords mind set, is what was the message Chelmsford 'thought' had been sent. Clery is the key to that, possibly a re read of his various statements could shed light.
Once that area becomes clear Chelmsfords thoughts/non thoughts on Durnford start to clarify.

Regards
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 2:20 pm

Steve and Frank,
Relevant arguments.
New puzzle tracks
Thank you for your help.

Are you both agree with the hypothesis that in Chelsmford's mind, DURNFORD was not on the road to the Mangeni?
Cheers.

Frédéric
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 4:09 pm

I'm not sure you can be as categorical as that. So far as Chelmsford is concerned, Durnford could have been on the road to Mangeni when he spotted the enemy and turned north to meet them.

Steve
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 5:02 pm

So the arguments given are not relevant for you.
Cheers
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 5:27 pm

Frederic

I think the arguments are relevant. But we cannot know for sure because Chelmsford does not mention Durnford in the written record after 4.00am. My guess is that Chelmsford thought Durnford was at Isandhlwana, but it is only a guess.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 8:08 pm

Durnsford's roll was to move to the camp. To either Streathen or reinforce. He would have received orders from Lord Chelmsford if anything else had been required of him. Of course if anyone can show other orders, that shows Durnford was required to protect Lord Chelmsford rear. I would be very interested. The truth is as the title of the topic suggests. Was Durnford capable or not. The sarnario's and what if's just complicate issues and takes us further from the truth. As I have said before, Durnford was a Braveman but gambled not only with his own life, but those under his command. He lacked the experience to handle an action the likes of Isandlwana, the end result speaks volumes.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptyFri Jun 05, 2015 9:48 pm

CTSG

That may have been what Chelmsford intended but, as we all know, that is not what the order from Crealock's hand said. Exploring what might have happened and looking for supporting evidence (hard as it is to find) is what makes the discussion interesting and what this forum is all about. Are you suggesting we simply accept your version of events and drop the subject?

Steve
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 9:23 am

All you need to do, is look at the Clery evidence, he states what Chelmsford had wanted with Durnford.
You may find it interesting with the what if's and sarnario's but as I have said, it move's us away from the truth.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 9:46 am

Chelmsfordthescapegoat wrote:
All you need to do, is look at the Clery evidence, he states what Chelmsford had wanted with Durnford.

Bonjour,
With this sarnario, it's terrible for Chelmsford! Very Happy
Cheers.
Frédéric
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 10:32 am

CTSG
No I don't believe it does move us away from the truth, whatever that is.
I do agree with you that the Clery evidence is pretty crucial as it was he that was entrusted with the ORIGINAL instruction from Chelmsford. The Chinese whisper put out by Crealock is in no way representative of what Chelmsford had intended to be sent.
Ergo my statement that what Chelmsford THINKS he had sent in the way of instruction is the key issue to understanding the events of later in the day. Clery wrote on a number of occasions that Durnford had been called to iSandlwana to reinforce the camp so without a doubt from his point of view that was what he understood Chelmsford wanted. This is self evident from the letter of the 17th February sent to Colonel Harman. What tends to negate THAT statement though is when he continues writing and spells out the instruction he left for Pulleine informing him that he would be in charge of the camp during the absence of Col Glyn. So the conundrum, if Clery was so confidant that Durnford had been ordered to Reinforce the camp then by pure military protocol he would assume command, not Pulleine, Clery as an instructor and professor from military collage would be more than familiar with that. So why did he do that?
As Frederic has pointed out messengers from Chelmsford were addressed to Pulleine, but who would have written those messages? Crealock or Clery? Gardner merely says he was sent with an order from the General addressed to Pulleine. If this order was written by Crealock then the possibility exists that he KNEW that Durnford had not been ordered to reinforce that camp ergo it was addressed to Pulleine.
So my money is on the order being issued by Crealock to the man in charge of the camp, Pulleine.
Coming back to the issue in question therefore, Chelmsford was content that he had issued an order that Durnford would reinforce that camp, no advance to Mangeni or any other issue. Purely reinforce the camp. He was not to know until much later ( possibly at RD a couple of days afterwards) that the order he DID issue had been lost in translation.
Of course the possibility does exist that Clery disliked Crealock and was very loyal to Glyn and so would do what he needed to do to protect him, even to fabricating evidence?
All grist to the mill of course.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 11:22 am

Frank

You say that it is clear Clery believed the order told Durnford to reinforce the camp because he consistently says that in correspondence. I think we need to check from what point he is saying that (before or after the CoI) before we decide.

What you say about Chelmsford believing he had issued that order may or may not be the case. If he did think that, it accounts for there being no further order from him to Durnford. But if Chelmsford did not intend to include the instruction to reinforce the camp it allows for all of the subsequent instructions going to Pulleine.

The third scenario (sorry CTSG) is that Chelmsford and his staff did not conflate Durnford assisting in the defence of the camp with his taking command as senior officer. I tend to think that is the most likely, it just never occurred to them. That allows Chelmsford to believe he has issued an order to Durnford which includes reinforcing the camp, and continuing to address orders to Pulleine as camp commandant.

That is the interesting conundrum.

Regards
Steve
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 12:06 pm

Steve
The first letter I can pick up from Clery is the 17th February, the COI was of course on the 27th January. There are a further 5 or 6 references from him in a similar vein. That allows me the luxury really to believe that Chelmsfords order (although not transmitted) did include for Durnford to reinforce the camp. That being the case there is no reason for Chelmsford to have given him a second thought, and would I suggest explain to a degree some of his statements over the next few days. The fact that his man Crealock screwed things up and didn't transmit what he should does of course set the tone for the rest of the 22nd.
All theorising I know, I do wish that Clerys note book would turn up. In there would I hope be the record of what order he was taking under dictation from Chelmsford, and indeed the order directed at Pulleine.
We can but hope.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 2:18 pm

But of the orders that should have been sent, Clery's would have made the most sense ie Reinforce / Strengthen. I would base this on what Glyn was leaving behind when he led half his column out with Lord Chemlsford.

The only order that, caused the scapegoat issued was the order sent by Crealock, and lied when he states he ordered Dunford to take command. ( We know he did not ) but regardless of wether or not he was ordered to take commaneases really neither here of there. Durnford did take command ( As per army tradition) But there is no mentioned in any of the orders discussed, that tell's Durnford to leave the camp.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 2:41 pm

CTSG
I was really more concerned with trying to address Frederics 'state of mind' questions with regards to Chelmsfords thoughts on Durnford. In a nutshell my thoughts lead me to believe that as far as Chelmsford was concerned he had issued a very straight forward order to reinforce the camp therefore he would have no doubt that Durnford would obey, considering the rebuke he had earned a few days before. As we know the order was corrupted in transit without the caveat of reinforce therefore again leaving Durnford free to act in his capacity as an independent column commander. The bugger is the corrupt message and its interpretation by the various actors.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 2:59 pm

CTSG

Yours is as problematic as all the other permutations.

Clery's order only makes most sense if you believe Chelmsford was concerned about the camp being attacked. All of the evidence says he was not.

I think it does not help to mix up Durnford taking command and what the order said.  Clery's order to Pulleine said "You will be in command of the camp during the absence of Colonel Glyn".And "Colonel Durnford had been written to to bring up his force to strengthen the camp". Nothing about Durnford taking command, in fact the opposite.

Do you think Chelmsford wanted Durnford to take over half of Glyn's column? I don't.

I therefore agree that Durnford taking command because of a protocol is neither here nor there. It comes back to Frederic's question. What was in Chelmsford's mind regarding Durnford's deployment?

Steve

Last edited by rusteze on Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 3:05 pm

Bonjour à tous,
Frank wrote: “Clery wrote on a number of occasions that Durnford had been called to iSandlwana to reinforce the camp so without a doubt from his point of view that was what he understood Chelmsford wanted.” (…)
What tends to negate THAT statement though is when he continues writing and spells out the instruction he left for Pulleine informing him that he would be in charge of the camp during the absence of Col Glyn. So the conundrum, if Clery was so confidant that Durnford had been ordered to Reinforce the camp then by pure military protocol he would assume command, not Pulleine, Clery as an instructor and professor from military collage would be more than familiar with that. So why did he do that?
(…) messengers from Chelmsford were addressed to Pulleine, but who would have written those messages? Crealock or Clery? Gardner merely says he was sent with an order from the General addressed to Pulleine. If this order was written by Crealock then the possibility exists that he KNEW that Durnford had not been ordered to reinforce that camp ergo it was addressed to Pulleine.
So my money is on the order being issued by Crealock to the man in charge of the camp, Pulleine.

Maybe, no necessarity. For the same “mysterious” motivations which led Clery to write to Pulleine that he was at the command of the camp during the absence of Glyn it's possible that it was CLERY who sent the furthers Chelmsford’s orders to Pulleine.
Cheers

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 3:48 pm

Frederic
I would have to disagree, Im pretty sure Crealock guarded his position quite zealously and would in the NORMAL course of work be responsible for sending instructions on behalf of Chelmsford. Clery would perforce have the responsibility of handling Glyns communications. But heres an interesting point, if Crealocks diary/note book was found at iSandlwana how would he expect to act as military secretary to Chelmsford without it on the advance to Mangeni? In similar vein why didn't Clery have his with him? So whos diary/notebook was used to send the message with Gardner? And why hasn't it survived?
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 4:51 pm

Perhaps Crealock lost the note book when he returned and spent the night at Isandlwana.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 5:10 pm

Going off at a different tack, I've always thought it odd (not to say suspicious) that the returning force removed themselves with such indecent haste from the battle site. The subsequent inordinate delay in returning to bury the dead is also very hard to explain in my book. I know about the excuses at the time, didn't want to spook the troops etc., but I don't altogether buy it. Might warrant a separate discussion ?

Steve
Back to top Go down
Mr Greaves

Mr Greaves

PostSubject: Re: Durnford was he capable.6   Durnford was he capable.6 - Page 5 EmptySat Jun 06, 2015 9:42 pm

Lucky they did though, or RD would have gone down in the history books as another Zulu victory.
Back to top Go down

Durnford was he capable.6
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next