WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Looking for the medal to 1423 Pte. W. Gregg/Greig
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyToday at 1:46 am by sam steele

» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyYesterday at 8:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyThu Apr 25, 2024 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
If you were Lord Chelmsford! Bar_leftIf you were Lord Chelmsford! BarIf you were Lord Chelmsford! Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
If you were Lord Chelmsford! Bar_leftIf you were Lord Chelmsford! BarIf you were Lord Chelmsford! Bar_right 
John Young
SRB1965
Kenny
A Crockart
Petty Officer Tom
Eddie
Jager1
Dash
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

If you were Lord Chelmsford!

Go down 
+4
John
Frank Allewell
rusteze
waterloo50
8 posters
AuthorMessage
waterloo50

waterloo50

If you were Lord Chelmsford! Empty
PostSubject: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 6:08 pm

Hello all,

There are many members on this forum who have argued their own feelings about what went wrong and who was to blame or culpable but how many members would be willing to state what they would have done if they were in Lord Chelmsfords position? I am genuinely interested to know. If you would indulge me I will quickly state what I would and wouldn't have done.

. I wouldn't have split my forces if I didn't know where my enemy was.
.My priority would have been to secure my supply line.
.I would have insisted that Isandlwana should have strong defences put in place (regardless of the length of time that the camp was to be in place'.
. I would have sent out several scouting parties to ensure that I had reliable intelligence and a good understanding of the terrain ahead.
.I would have regular meetings with my officers so that everyone understood 'clearly' what the plans were.
. In case of attack, my Infantry would form an extended line protecting front and flank, with the native contingent in reserve to be used to plug any holes within the line. artillery on the high ground to the rear of the infantry. Mounted infantry would be held in reserve ready to protect the flanks if required.
. Once I knew where the enemy was I would have drawn them to engage me in a place of my choosing but only if I held a position with strong defences.
.I wouldn't have underestimated my enemy.

I look forward to reading other members thoughts plans.

Many Thanks

Waterloo.

Last edited by waterloo50 on Sun Jun 21, 2015 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 6:43 pm

All I would add is that I wouldn't have invaded Zululand in the first place, it wasn't necessary. But if your going to do it, that's a pretty good checklist.

You can boil it down even further to my mind. 1. Take a substantial force with the right elements within it to comfortably overcome the enemy. 2 Understand the country and choose your ground. 3. Concentrate your forces. 4. Attack with vigour and purpose.

The debate is really about why LC did not do those things for the first invasion. For the second he was nearer the mark.

Steve
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 7:43 pm

Hi thanks Steve,

Would you mind saying what the 'right elements' would be? you said concentrate your forces, I would agree with that.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 10:10 pm

All I mean by that is the kind of force he had for the second invasion. The government would not grant additional forces in 1878 to deter precipitate action but Frere/Chelmsford went ahead with the contrived ultimatum. Chelmsford invaded with what he had. After the disaster the government sent substantial reinforcements and urged him to take even more. More infantry, cavalry and artillery, gatling guns manned by the Royal Navy. When you have overwhelming force available there is no need to take risks.

Steve
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptySun Jun 21, 2015 11:17 pm

Many thanks Steve for your response,

My original question was really about what would you do 'If you were Lord Chelmsford'. maybe I should have thought more about the title but what I was driving at was, If you were Chelmsford and your army was camped at Isandlwana, what would your plan be, what orders would you have issued? Would you have made the same mistakes? Imagine that you have no historical knowledge of what happened at Isandlwana and you are just about to embark on this campaign. You have placed your camp at the foot of that hill. Oh and don't forget, your under pressure to get a speedy and positive outcome. Its not easy to consider a plan when you have hindsight but I challenge anyone to come up with a fool proof plan, I guarantee that what ever plan people come up with someone on this forum will be able to pull it to pieces, just like we do with Lord Chelmsford.

Many Thanks and Kind Regards

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 8:15 am

I wouldn't have split my forces if I didn't know where my enemy was.
Ah but he did know where the enemy was, Dartnell told. Look at a situation: If Dartnell had been proved correct and the morning of the 22nd he had woken up to find himself facing the Zulu army, without the support he had requested, what would the reaction have been to Chelmsford ignoring his appeal for help?
.My priority would have been to secure my supply line.
.I would have insisted that Isandlwana should have strong defences put in place (regardless of the length of time that the camp was to be in place'. The camp should have never been at iSandlwana in the first place, Clery/Chelmsford ignored advice to that effect.
. I would have sent out several scouting parties to ensure that I had reliable intelligence and a good understanding of the terrain ahead. Chelmsford did just that, except for scouting the plateau, and that he had plans for on the 22nd. Brown, Dartnell, Hamilton Brown were all sent out scouting and he himself. Lt Brown went as far as iSiphesi, past Mangeni
.I would have regular meetings with my officers so that everyone understood 'clearly' what the plans were. Victorian Armies didn't work that way Im afraid, but your quite right he should have kept Glyn in the picture more.
. In case of attack, my Infantry would form an extended line protecting front and flank, with the native contingent in reserve to be used to plug any holes within the line. artillery on the high ground to the rear of the infantry. Mounted infantry would be held in reserve ready to protect the flanks if required. That's pretty close to Chelmsfords standing orders. But they ignored the Zulus propensity for surrounding the enemy.
. Once I knew where the enemy was I would have drawn them to engage me in a place of my choosing but only if I held a position with strong defences.
.I wouldn't have underestimated my enemy. There in lies the crux.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 9:55 am

I come back to the points I was making. In my view you have to take the last in the list first. If you do not underestimate the enemy then all of your other choices change as a result. As the GOC your estimation of the enemy begins when you assemble your force and make decisions about how to invade. You then orchestrate the strategy through subordinates. That is the proper function of a GOC, not making tactical decisions at 4.00 am when you are already up to your neck in the mire. In effect, he became a column commander usurping Glyn who had a better handle on that role. I don't believe Glyn would have selected Isandhlwana. I believe Glyn would have ascertained exactly what Dartnell was facing before committing slow moving forces. And it does not take a military genius to know the favoured attack formation of the Zulus - which was not fundamentally different to any other army. None of that is with the benefit of hindsight, it simply shows up the failings of LC as a GOC, all of which were avoidable.

Steve

Last edited by rusteze on Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 10:32 am

Hi Steve
Cant fight that.
Possibly the original mistake (sans not invading) Would have been the composition of that force that was sent out on the 21st. Why oh why a slow moving NNC contingent that was, for a large part of the day, unsupported. Dartnell with his own highly mobile command would/could/did the job in anycase and would have had the speed and ability to get back to the camp before sundown on the 21st, but with that slow moving mass stuck on behind he was extremely hindered.
That mistake of a fast moving scouting 'column' encumbered with a slow moving section was to be repeated by Durnford later on the 22nd.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
John

John

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 11:11 am

Frank excellent post.
Back to top Go down
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 11:13 am

Bonjour à tous,

As i wrote in a previous post, it seems to be a common practise to mix cavalry (mobile troops)with "slow" troops (infantry and rocket battery") in support, to scout an area in territory enemy:
-Durnford the 22 january took with him Cavalry, infantry and roket battery,
-Raw (or Roberts) the same day took with him cavalry and infantry (I.E Barry):“He (Durnford) gave orders for Captain William BARTON to scout the ground (…) with Nos 1 and 2 troops of Zikhali’s horse under Lt Carlie RAW and Joseph ROBERTS respectively. (…) The NNC company at Mkwene hill could be picked up en route to operate in support of the mounted troops (from “HCMDB” by M. SNOOK p.159).

Cheers.

Frédéric
Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
ymob

ymob

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 11:24 am

RAW says that ROBERTS was to pick up Captain BARRY NNC picquet company from the top of the spur and take them with him as support*.
*Source TNA (PRO) WO 33/34 Inclosure 1 in n°91 account of Lt RAW ("Isandlwana: a time line" by Keith I. SMITH)

Back to top Go down
http://frbomy@hotmail.fr
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 12:18 pm

The only argument I can muster for the mixed force approach (which, as you both say, was adopted by virtually everybody) is that the opposition was not mounted. Even though the Zulu could move quickly on foot, an efficient mounted force could theoretically pursue and drive them back towards the awaiting guns. In Durnford's case I believe the circumstances are slightly different, with the need primarily a defensive one to protect the slower moving rocket battery. You can argue he should not have taken it. But the truth is LC had to get too many slow moving ducks into a row, on ground of his choice, before he could cope with a big attack. The chances of being able to do that without a much bigger force (as he had later) were really non existent in January.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 2:03 pm

Steve
I would agree if the waiting guns were British Infantry but not the NNC with 1 older gun among 10 and only 5 rounds of ammo for it. Possibly the thought would be a thorough rout by the mounted men and a follow up butchery by the men on foot.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 2:29 pm

Hi Frank

Did LC really know where the Zulus were, Dartnell had sent several messages via two ADCs, Gossett and Buller and later by Lieutenant Walsh, none of these men made any claim that the main Zulu army had been found. Obviously LC suspected that the main Zulu force had been found, his response was to send six companies of the 2/24th. My understanding is that LC did not know where the main Zulu force was and that he was acting on poor intelligence reports. I suppose it goes without saying that the large numbers of Zulus encountered gave a clue that the main Zulu army was near, however LC was taking a gamble.

If Dartnell did wake up facing a Large Zulu force without the support he requested, I suspect he would have acted the same as he did the night before (doesn't engage) he withdraws and returns to camp. perhaps the Zulus would have given chase, LC gave chase when he thought that the main Zulu force had been found so why not the other way around.

Kind Regards

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 2:59 pm

Hi Waterloo
I see your points but it comes across in some of the reports and in the written communications that Chelmsford was under the impression that he was going to face a substantial force. Chelmsfords biggest fear was that the Zulu would not face up to him, hence your contempt comment of earlier, he was extremely keen to bring them to book and marched out to do that. And then managed to split and re split his force.
If dartnel was up against the main Zulu force or indeed any substantial part of it his chances of survival would have been slim at best. Consider the reaction from England if it got out that Dartnell had requested help and Chelmsford refused, considering most of the mounted force was colonial the outcry would have been immense.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi Frank,

Many thanks for throwing the proverbial spanner in my thinking.

If LC had refused the requested help from Dartnell, the debate would probably be the same as it is now for Isandlwana, especially if Dartnell and his men had been massacred. It makes me realise that LC was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Now, i'm going to have to reappraise my thinking about the whole thing, I don't even want to get into the other debate about who was culpable.

Kind Regards

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 4:32 pm

Ah, welcome to the world of the enigma that is iSandlwana.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 5:20 pm

Frank,

I kuningi okumelwe sikufunde

Regards

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 5:53 pm

Njengoba sonke

The beauty of this forum is that with the exchanges we have it allows us all to learn.

Cheers Mate
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 8:06 pm

Waterloo wrote:
Once I knew where the enemy was I would have drawn them to engage me in a place of my choosing but only if I held a position with strong defences.

Waterloo, read up on the Battle of Ulundi. Now there's a battle commanded by proper military men. Who had the sense to adopt the old square formation. 

The Zulu's didn't need to be draw in,  Sihayo’s Kraal , was the only engagement where the British attack first.  Happy to be corrected.

Question?
Would you say Lord Chelmsford, was responsible for the Intombi diaster.
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 9:14 pm

Hello,

I don't know a great many details about Intombi but I am aware that Lord Chelmsford had moved his forces to the border countries to regroup after the defeat at isandlwana, that makes sense to me. Captain Moriarty was to offer support to the waggons that were moving the supplies, that also makes sense.  Moriarty was ordered to defend the waggons if they couldn't be moved, unfortunately he found that he couldn't move the waggons because the river was too deep so he forms the waggons into a defensive position and waits for the river level to drop. If I was there I would have done the same. I don't think this has anything to do with Lord Chelmsford, this has more to do with the Zulus being smart and using the terrain to their advantage, that and the unpredictability of nature.

Cheers

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 9:41 pm

Read up on Intombi. Tell us where you think they went wrong.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 12:12 am

Hi Chelmsfordthescapegoat,

Could you please be a little more specific with your question. I am reading as much as I can on Intombi and like your good self I want to make sure that I have understood the facts as best I can. What exactly would you like an opinion on?

Kind Regards

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
littlehand

littlehand

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 12:22 am

Waterloo, it seems he asking you was LC responsible for the intombi disaster. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 12:30 am

littlehand wrote:
Waterloo, it seems he asking you was LC responsible for the intombi disaster. Rolling Eyes

LH agree
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 9:06 am

LH

Thanks, I thought as much. I'm nearly there.

Cheers

Waterloo
Back to top Go down
waterloo50

waterloo50

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 10:23 am

THE INTOMBI RIVER DISASTER.

The following is extracted from the Cape Argus of March 22 :—

DURBAN, March 19, 4.5 p.m.

A very profound sensation has been produced here by the news of the new disaster which has befallen our arms. The intelligence was received through a private agency, and the military

authorities have not yet even been officially in formed of the occurrence. Great consternation exists among military men, and upon Lord Chelmsford, for whom a great deal of personal sympathy is manifested, the effect has been par ticularly marked. From the little that has been so far gathered of the circumstances, it appears only too clear that the disaster is the result of more blundering, a contempt of the enemy, and ignorance as to his whereabouts, and a neglect of the most ordinary precautions. It is regarded here as a singular coincidence that this fresh catastrophe should have occurred upon the day of humiliation, and amongst all classes it is regarded in the light of retributive justice, to which we were laid open by the scornful reception given to Cetywayo's recent   overtures for peace.

Regards Waterloo
Back to top Go down
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 7:57 pm

I think we are giving Lord C too much of a hard time. Where do we draw the line between overall responsibility and individual? I suspect that none of us would have been happy to invade with the forces available. There is also the moral component - this war was; wrong, wrong,wrong.Lord C had to " go with the army he had," to paraphrase Donald Rumsfeld. I agree with Waterloo that we should have had fewer & stronger columns - if I understand you right. Lord C was handicapped by having a big mission & not having the resources to conclude the campaign. This is of course only an opinion.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 8:54 pm

It's really good two see two members who understand reason. Admin we need more members like Martini-henry and Waterloo.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 9:03 pm

This from QV.

"With regard to Isandlwana, Ld Chelmsford said, no doubt poor Col: Durnford had disobeyed
orders, in leaving the Camp as he did; & poor Col: Pulleine had also done wrong, though for some time he refused to come, only going to the assistance of Col: Durnford, when the Zulus had almost already got there. Ld Chelmsford knew nothing, Col: Durnford never having sent any message to say he was in danger, & the person Ld Chelmsford sent, to see what was going on (whose name he prefers not giving) seem not to have done what he ought, but too much thereby complicating matters still more. — I could not attempt to repeat all Ld Chelmsford said, for I could not explain it, but this much is clear to me, viz: that it was not his fault, but that of others that this surprise at Isandlwana, took place. He said "I cannot attack dead men," but I hope he will be able to prove how unjust people have been towards him."

Source: Emailed.
Back to top Go down
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 5:14 am

For CTSG I'm only trying to be fair mate.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 5:29 am

CTSG
You've forgotten to take your laxatives again haven't you?
Back to top Go down
Martini-Henry

Martini-Henry

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 5:59 am

I have to say before I joined the Forum I had pretty much made my mind up on it all being down to Lord C. In just a few days I've completely revised that opinion. I have learned so much, & I am awestruck by that knowledge of the members of this forum. Everyday is a school-day on this forum. I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart.
Back to top Go down
Chelmsfordthescapegoat

Chelmsfordthescapegoat

PostSubject: Re: If you were Lord Chelmsford!   If you were Lord Chelmsford! EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 9:12 am

Frank Allewell wrote:
CTSG
You've forgotten to take your laxatives again haven't you?
He's other voice of reason. Wink
Back to top Go down

If you were Lord Chelmsford!
Page 1 of 1