WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyToday at 8:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyYesterday at 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
The first battle of the Zulu War Bar_leftThe first battle of the Zulu War BarThe first battle of the Zulu War Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
The first battle of the Zulu War Bar_leftThe first battle of the Zulu War BarThe first battle of the Zulu War Bar_right 
John Young
Petty Officer Tom
SRB1965
Kenny
A Crockart
Eddie
Jager1
cmeghen
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

The first battle of the Zulu War

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
barry

barry

The first battle of the Zulu War Empty
PostSubject: The first battle of the Zulu War   The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 2:09 pm

Hi All

The first battle of the Zulu War.
It might not be well known that the first battle of the Zulu War occurred some days before 22/01/’79. The circumstance for this came about when the Natal Colonial authorities were recruiting friendly Zulus to fight on their side in the upcoming conflict with the mighty Zulu Kingdom.   The following article, somewhat amusing in parts, detailing this story ,has been transcribed  from the 1907 edition of the Natal Police magazine, Nongqai and was  titled;

An unrecorded episode of the Zulu War of 1879
The Zulu War of 1879 was forced on Cetewayo, the paramount  chief of the Zulu nation, by the British Government in order to break up the formidable armed force which he had formed to protect Zululand from the encroachment of  his  Dutch neighbors in the Transvaal.   Thereby to bring a closer approachment  between the Boer Government of the Transvaal and the British Government; but the result of which actually had a contradictory effect; as when the Boer Government was relieved of the incubus of the powerful and dreaded Zulu army assembled near their frontiers. Instead of hailing the British Government as their deliverers, they, the Boers,  said by their actions , if not words  “thank you very much for delivering us from the dread of Cetewayo and his impis. who have hitherto deterred us from expanding towards the sea (*see note 1) as we want to do, and we can now look well after ourselves and our own interests,  without further interference from the outside.”
At this time I was resident magistrate of Weenen county - since divided into three different magisterial divisions –and I received instructions to call out armed natives from every Zulu chief in the district , to take part in the invasion of Zululand by British troops. My official headquarters were then in Estcourt , but I went down to the village of Weenen to collect and enroll  my natives as being more central and nearer to  that part of the Natal/ Zulu frontier where the entry of troops was to be shortly effected. There, the various tribal elements were encamped whilst being enrolled.
I was busy one day writing out lists , when my Zulu servant girls  ( I had taken  my wife and children with me as I had the use of the vacant Dutch parsonage as a residence ), came rushing into the building, crying out that the natives were fighting. I rushed out and saw in an open space in the front of the house some two hundred of my levies ranged in two parties, who were having a regular “ Donnybrook”, or set to, on their own account.
Sticks were whacking and stones and  bricks were flying in all directions  and I saw at a glance that if this shindy was not promptly squashed the combatants might be joined by others from their camps, bringing their shields and assegais with them , and in that case serious bloodshed may ensue.  I thereupon rushed in and tried to stop the fight ; seeing a native  shouting  and flourishing his stick  and naturally taking him to be one of the combatants, I whipped his stick out of his hand and fetched him a  clip on the side of the head with it , which bowled him over like a shot rabbit. What was my surprise when he got on his feet again and ruefully rubbing his head, he said reproachfully, “Au Nkosi, why did you hit me, I am one of your police and I was trying to stop the fighting?”. I had no time to spare for apologies then, although half-a-crown presented by me later was considered a very satisfactory apology.
The next man that I encountered was a small Zulu warrior with bandy legs and carrying an enormous war shield as long as himself. Alarmed by the ferocity of my looks as I charged him he fled for his life , rushing along with his head looking over his shoulder to see how near I was to him. Suddenly he went head foremost into a sandpit and vanished in a cloud of dust. Serious as matters were, the sudden disappearance of this redoubtable warrior , and I, thinking, whose ordinary occupation was probably that of kitchen boy,  cleaning pots and chopping firewood, gave me an irresistible fit of laughter. However there was no time to lose , so I dived in between the two lines of combatants , and ably seconded by some Dutch and English onlookers I managed to quieten and separate them.  I then sent them off each party to their respective camps with a gentle intimation that I would shoot the first man who attempted to restart the quarrel. That is, I sent off all those who were not seriously wounded. The wounded however, and there were a good many of them, I set to patch up with assistance of one of the Weenen residents. We spent a couple of hours stitching up and closing, sometimes with  sticking plaster, many gaping head wounds, which, had they been inflicted on the cranium of Europeans,  would probably have  resulted in fractured skulls, or at least have laid them up for a number of days. But the head of an African is the hardest part of his anatomy and requires a very forcible knock to do more than cause a flesh wound.  So, once the patching up was complete all the damaged warriors departed quite happily to rejoin the respective parties and perfectly ready to go to fight for the “houliman” ( Government), except for two unfortunates who had had their front teeth knocked out by blows or by stones and bricks flying about. These two protested, almost weeping saying that it would be no use  sending them to the front  as they would not be able to eat any beef, so I sent them back to their kraals to look after the women.
On enquiring into the cause of this fight I found out that the combatants belonged to two of the largest tribes in the country, ie the Amacunu and the Abatembu. and that some men of the former tribe had deposited their shields on the patu in the bush, at the side of which they were sitting peacefully, when some of the other tribe came along and ordered the sitters to remove their shields which were obstructing the way, threatening that if they did not do so, they (the speakers) would tread on them.
Resenting the imperious way in which they were addressed by the owners of the shields, those seated dared them to do so. The challenge was immediately accepted; up jumped the sitters sticks in hand, they snatched up their shields and the fight started .which was rapidly joined in con amore by all all of the men of the two tribes, who were within hearing of the war cries.  
The contingent was to march off, on a two day journey to the front the next morning, and I felt rather anxious lest the two tribal parties which were of about equal strength, should renew their quarrel on the journey. So I despatched a mounted man to the corporal who was in charge of the Mounted Police detachment then stationed at Escourt, 24miles off to come down at once with the three men in his command , which formed the only European force available. The Police turned up promptly that night and the next morning I despatched the contingent,  placing a mounted man at the head and foot of the Amacunu men and one at the head and foot of the Abatembu as well. They were instructed to keep the two factions well apart.
I was pleased to learn later that there were no incidents on the journey to the battlefield.

Footnote by Barry
Factionalism and internicine violence is a very common occurrence to this day in Natal. The difference today is that the weapons used are not shields, iwisa’s and assegais, but rather more modern weapons when obtainable. Common “hotspots” for this are Tugela Ferry, Umbumbulu, Dududu, Msinga, Mid Illovo.
Challenges, based on settling old scores, are issued on an annual basis and squaring off usually takes place annually over the Easter recess. Thus, in the vernacular, having a “Donnybrook” means having one of these faction fights, ie Zulu vs Zulu., and the outcome of much of  which is fatal  for many of the combatants.

Note 1 :
The Boers had already “tested the waters” of St Lucia estuary on the coast where they had  covertly brought in supplies of powder and weapons from ships moored in the bay. Long boats brought the goods ashore via the St Lucia estuary mouth. This was to be their link to the sea and the world beyond.
barry
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: The first battle of the Zulu War   The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 4:05 pm

Thanks for posting Barry, some interesting remarks by the magistrate. To what extent do you think the Natalians were in favour of the war?

Steve
Back to top Go down
Brett Hendey

Brett Hendey

PostSubject: Re: The first battle of the Zulu War   The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 7:49 am

Barry
Thank you for a very interesting post. I spent much of my childhood first in Weenen and later in Estcourt. The Mchunu and Mthembu faction fights were still going on in the 1940's and 1950's. When I was about five years old, a Police Sergeant named Buthelezi, the husband of our family's domestic servant, presented me with a Zulu sword that had been confiscated after one such faction fight. This remarkable weapon was more decorative than dangerous. It resembles a British Cavalry sword, but is much smaller and was made from a hay rake tine. It was, and still is kept in a roughly made leather scabbard. This, and other Zulu artefacts are now with my younger son, who has settled in the UK.

Anyone wanting to know more about the Mchunu and Mthembu tribes in recent times should find the following book interesting:
'Third World Child. Born White, Zulu Bred' by G G Alcock. Tracey McDonald Publishers, Johannesburg (2014).
Since it is written by a 'White Zulu' who grew up with Zulus it gives a possibly unique insight into the Zulus in modern times. A review of the book includes the following anecdote"
"GG and his black friends ..... laugh, spar, crack jokes about you in languages you can't understand, then switch to English, and say something outrageous like, "We're just talking about the solution for crime. Two warning shots through the heart, hey. What do you say?" They find it particularly amusing if you turn red and start spluttering about constitutional rights."

Brett
Back to top Go down
barry

barry

PostSubject: Re: The first battle of the Zulu War   The first battle of the Zulu War EmptySun Jun 28, 2015 12:39 pm

Hi Steve/Brett

Steve, in reply; about 50% of the total population of the colony. Nearly all of the indiginii south of the border were living in fear and trepidation of Cetewayo and his brutal xenophobic ways.  So that they could sleep at night, they wanted him gone, period.
98% of the settler/farmer population of colonists wished for the same outcome. The only dissenters were really the very small Colenso clique.
Fynn estimated that the total population mid century was about 400k. How that low demographic number was arrived at begs a lot of questions. So, escalating that figure forward 30 years and 500-600k may be realistic.
Brett.
It seems we had parallels in our early childhood. Mine was centered in Eshowe for a few years.
Thanks for the book reference, I will order a copy.

regards

barry
Back to top Go down

The first battle of the Zulu War
Page 1 of 1