WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyToday at 8:19 am by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyYesterday at 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
Are we nearing the end?. Bar_leftAre we nearing the end?. BarAre we nearing the end?. Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
Are we nearing the end?. Bar_leftAre we nearing the end?. BarAre we nearing the end?. Bar_right 
John Young
Kenny
A Crockart
Petty Officer Tom
SRB1965
Eddie
Jager1
cmeghen
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Are we nearing the end?. EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Are we nearing the end?.

Go down 
+5
ADMIN
Arthur Wright
SRB1965
90th
xhosa2000
9 posters
AuthorMessage
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

Are we nearing the end?. Empty
PostSubject: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun May 27, 2018 11:45 am

As the world continues to turn in on itself and the righteous pc brigade
goes from strength to strength we are being forced to disown our past
as imperialists and colonialists... i think it right that we continue to examine
the past and place it within the context of the times. i fear in the not to
distant future forum's such as this will be frowned apon and it's member's
looked apon as some sort of xenophobic groupie's. there is even talk of
statues of former luminary's being torn down.

I read only yesterday that there's a budding movement to remove statue's
of Lord Nelson because of his view's on slavery. where will it end.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Are we nearing the end ?    Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun May 27, 2018 11:53 am

Hi Les
Yes the trip was excellent , several firsts for me and my guide , mix of weather , ranging from Rain and 9 deg to most days being sunny between 20 - 24 . Where will it end you ask ..... it'll end hopefully when the NORMAL people stand up and say ' Enough is Enough ' , apathy is leading the way for these PC F--K Wits !
90th Sad Sad Sad Sad
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun May 27, 2018 11:59 am

It will never end, my friend - these historical people were products of their time and just because 'our' modern views have changed - does it make them now 'wrong' or 'immoral'?

I'm sure many years in the future, people will look at current favourites and decide they were wrong for some view......

As you say the PC brigade have gone mad......

Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun May 27, 2018 12:54 pm

Nice one Gary i looked forward to hearing about it. Salute
Yes Sime agreed.. we need strong people the world over to
speak out and put this nonsense into some kind of perspective.
Back to top Go down
Arthur Wright

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 5:05 pm

Somewhat of an uneducated idiot as I may be, I must admit that I feel much the same as xhosa2000.

My feelings are that it will only end when (and if) folk realise that there is actually a lot to be learnt from history and that unless we break the cycle, history will only be repeated.

Since as far back as one an delve, it seems that someone somewhere has also wanted what someone else had. And that is the root of all the fighting both then and now.

In South Africa, it was initially blacks chasing and killing other blacks. Then the white man arrived and done the same thing. In other countries, it was norwegians, spaniards, choose your country and time period and just fill in the blanks.
Back to top Go down
ADMIN

ADMIN

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 7:56 pm

It will end in tears. I would have said a few years ago, there would be a massive protest if they even thought about removing Nelson. Today I'm not so sure, I'm afraid the English backbone has gone. Very soon  the word "Great" will be forgotten it will just be "Britain"
Back to top Go down
https://www.1879zuluwar.com
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 8:24 pm

I'm really quite conflicted about this. There is a tendency to interpret "politically correct" as being about party politics or petty bureaucracy and I agree that is taken too far. But when it is about the suppression of individuals  or the perceived superiority of one race over another then I think it has to be acknowledged. I am afraid that our modern views often quite accurately describe some historic individuals as wrong and immoral and, usually, there were those who thought so at the time. Nothing, in my view,  justifies the slave trade or those who made their fortunes from it. They may have done other things in their lives which we can admire but it cannot displace the enormous wrong that they perpetrated and that we still live with. I am sure no one on this forum thinks otherwise. But sweeping statements about how political correctness is taking over, conceals some real horrors that indeed must never be repeated. I remember doing some research on an AZW officer whose family turned out to be plantation owners in Jamaica - there was a list of names of the men women and children "owned" by this individuals father plus what they might be worth. How many such sons, under the old regimental purchase system, financed themselves from such sources?
And what of the Benin bronzes looted by British troops in West Africa, or works of art from the forbidden city in Peking that now sit in the British Museum or the Louvre? Is it just political correctness to feel they should be returned?
Remove Nelson? It will never happen and nor should it, but teach the history not the myth and let people decide.

There endeth the lesson.

Steve Reinstadtler
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 pm

In my final few years before retirement I was based in the Admiralty in Whitehall. This marble statue of Nelson is not often seen by the public, it sits in the foyer of the Old Admiralty and I passed it every morning. It is the original of the one which sits on top of his column in Trafalgar Square.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Steve Reinstadtler
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 10:04 pm

We live in very strange time's do we not?. i have heard the term ' snowflake ' used more and more
to describe the younger generation, if anybody is unaware of the term then please look it up... some
people try to change history to suit modern sensibilities.. it can't be done!.. the event's of history are
beyond our control, did Nelson condone slavery?. did Nelson save this country from invasion.. of
course the two example's are rhetorical, we somehow have to square the circle and as poster's rightly
say we have to acknowledge our colonial past and move forward... the world was then a much more
primitive place and the wealthy elite of the time exploited the world's people's and their wealth
with impunity. yes we must learn from history but there's no point ' crying ' about it, there is no way
the various colonialist's and former imperialist's are going to hand back jack.... be it the Elgin marbles
the Koh-in-noor diamond or anything else of substance.. the younger generation's need to be tought
history ' in the round ' not just the perceived victor's view, let it all be taught... learn the lesson's...forget the blame game and move on in a spirit of reconcilliation.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptyMon Jun 25, 2018 10:35 pm

I agree with most of that.I was once an avid believer in keeping all this stuff - but no longer. Of course the perpetrators cannot give it back but we can, and should. That is the way reconciliation might just work. But there is still a huge gulf, to my mind, between "stuff" and the enslavement of people. There have been times when we have been on the right side of the argument - even in Africa. But generally the prospect of enormous individual wealth has won the day. Yes I have heard of Snowflakes, but I have never met one. My daughter teaches at a College of Further Education and she gives pretty short shrift to anyone who accuses her teenage pupils of being less than hard working and keen to get on - often against the worst personal circumstances. "Snowflake" is a concoction of the popular right wing press - it certainly isn't a reflection of a whole generation.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 4:46 pm

Rusteze

There is a lot of rot talked about blame and slavery and guilt.
It should not be forgotten that Africans practised slavery years before the white man arrived on the scene. And when he did, don't forget who it was who captured and sold the slaves to the whites.
Read Barracoon by Zora Neale Hurston (a black authoress) to get a better perspective.

While we're on the subject, let's not forget that 'slavery' (serfdom) ended in Russia only in 1861 (cf. abolition of slavery in Britain 1807). It's all relative. Not that any of this really matters. Slavery was acceptable once everywhere. Now it isn't. You cannot judge the people or mores of the past by 2018 standards. I f we did why there'd be no haloes round the necks of Begin, Mandela, Ho Chi Minh, etc.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 5:50 pm

Julian

There is a lot of rot talked about most things now that we rely on social media. I am mistrustful of the argument that all sorts of people practised slavery and the further back in history you go the more common it was - so by implication we should accept it as a creature of its time. My view is that whoever did it they were always a powerful elite who were able, through force of arms or deprivation, to enslave either their own or someone else's people at will. The fact that it lasted longer in some places than others is, in my view, neither here nor there. We all know that it still goes on in a variety of ways and I would not give it the oxygen of acceptability - even historically. I remember an episode of "Who do you think you are" when Lenny Henry returned to the plantation in Jamaica where his ancestors were slaves. The rage and helplessness of the man was palpable. We can and do apply our own current values to this practice in the past - we say it was wrong.

I will look out the book.

Steve
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 6:19 pm

rusteze
Whilst broadly-speaking, as a concept, of course we can say 'it was wrong' (or more accurately, 'it is wrong'). The trouble is that the reality in history means that most of our very near ancestors were in some form of subjugation to more powerful classes. My dad was obliged to work unpaid overtime until the mid-70s for fear he would lose his job. My great-granddad was the first male in our family to get the vote (often forgotten that it was 1884/5 amid all the kerfuffle over women's suffrage in 1918). Go back far enough and serfdom was the norm. England was one of the first to rid itself of it so that by Shakespeare's time it had all but vanished (with Europe lagging well behind), which is why we were the first major European power to abolish slavery in our own dominions and then to take on the role of policing against it in the world at large. With slavery the UK has much to celebrate as we were instrumental in ridding the world of it (to our detractors I say compare the dates of the abolition of slavery in the UK and US, compare the dates of black suffrage in the UK and US). Instead we choose to dwell on what existed before. We should be proud of what we did and shout it out loud, not ignoring it and focusing on the negative all the time. We have become too fond of self-flagellation.
Back to top Go down
rusteze

rusteze

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 6:43 pm

In reality, I don't think there is much between us on this. I agree that a few good men and women in Britain forced the powers that be to reluctantly confront their complicity in the misery of slavery. They did that earlier than most and you are right that they then attempted to police the world against it. But the hypocrisy was staggering - huge sums paid in compensation to slave owners, quite substantial support for the slave states in America purely because of financial considerations. The examples you quote show just how all pervasive the consequences for ordinary people have been. I for one don't like the current climate of nationalism which is growing again, and much of the "us and them" dialogue is aimed at exacerbating the situation - now even in Germany. Now is not the time to sit in the glow of empire. Unless of course you are discussing the AZW

Steve
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptyThu Jun 28, 2018 8:56 pm

The glow of Empire, eh? Well, we have to have something to warm our hands on...
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptyFri Jun 29, 2018 9:46 pm

Not for the faint hearted.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 7:53 am

Brilliant!  "Don't sanitize the world just so you can make yourself look good."  Great.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 8:18 am

Far to complex. in Africa the politicians warm their hands by sitting on them.
Some interesting issues arising from KZN.
There is now an official National land distribution programme being actioned, no compensation for expropriation. However the Zulu have rallied around the King and the Ingonyama Trust ( The trust owns around 30% of the ground in Zulu land) and said that Zululand isn't part of the equation and if it is enforced KZN will enforce a declaration of independence from RSA.
So rather than the end is nigh, life is repeating itself.
The saga continues and the AZW may be a future issue rather than past history.
scratch
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 9:26 am

Frank
Very interesting indeed...but might that be KwaZulu-Natal or just the KwaZulu bit??  The good people of PMB and Durban might have a few things to say about UDI.
Back to top Go down
Arthur Wright

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 10:58 am

Fun times ahead in South Africa. History keeps repeating until one learns and stops making the same mistakes.
Back to top Go down
SRB1965

SRB1965

Location : Uttoxeter - the last place God made and he couldn't be bothered to finish it.....

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptySat Jun 30, 2018 1:21 pm

I have always found it strange/fascinating that Lesotho, is an independent country surrounded by RSA - most countries I can think of have are either adjacent to another one or two countries or have a bit of coastline or are an island (though no doubt someone will point out a load of countries that don't fulfil 'Sime's Criteria').

As for 'learning and stopping making the same mistakes' - I'm not convinced it will ever happen - though I spose it would be nice to make some new mistakes.....to bring a bit of variety to history....

Cheers

Sime
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Are we nearing the end ?    Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun Jul 01, 2018 1:39 am

Hi Les
Thoroughly enjoyed the youtube clip , what more can one say ! ?.
90th Salute
Back to top Go down
Brett Hendey

Brett Hendey

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun Jul 01, 2018 9:51 am

Les
I agree with 90th.
Regards
Brett
Back to top Go down
xhosa2000

xhosa2000

PostSubject: Re: Are we nearing the end?.   Are we nearing the end?. EmptySun Jul 01, 2018 11:02 am

Gary, Brett... Salute I was telling my middle son Blake about
the mini campaign to stop the showing of Zulu on armed forces
day.. he agreed that there is a growing culture whereby people
feel the need to complain about everything... for the sake of it!,
so he directed me to Jonathan Pie, there is no end it seem's to
the amount of ' ranter's ' on line... but i watched the clip and
thought yes that's it!.. i feel the same way as he doe's.. and i
have to say i admire ' cleverness ' especially in modern satire.
cheer's xhosa
Back to top Go down

Are we nearing the end?.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: LINKS & IMAGES RELATING TO THE ZULU WAR 1879-
Jump to: