WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Lieutenant John Chard: What's our strength? Lieutenant Gonville Bromhead: Seven officers including surgeon, commissaries and so on; Adendorff now I suppose; wounded and sick 36, fit for duty 97 and about 40 native levies. Not much of an army for you.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Mr. John Hinshaw
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyToday at 5:18 pm by Kenny

» Charles Frederick Murray MacGregor
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyToday at 4:09 pm by Eddie

» Symonds Jermyn d'Arcy Travers
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyToday at 11:28 am by rai

» Francis S Alcock
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyToday at 10:48 am by rai

» Captain Carlos A. Rivers - HMS Shah?
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyToday at 8:59 am by rai

» Lieutenant-Colonel McWatters
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyToday at 3:10 am by Eddie

»  Corporal E. THOMAS 793 2-24th Foot
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyYesterday at 5:22 pm by harry67

» Colonel J. F. Caldwell
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyYesterday at 11:28 am by rai

» Major T de la Haye Brotherton. Royal Engineers
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Nov 28, 2022 9:55 pm by Isandula

» Drummer 1899 Albert Thomas Glover 99th Regiment
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Nov 28, 2022 6:06 pm by Albert Glover

» Capts. Dymes and Smythe, 1/1 NNC
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Nov 28, 2022 3:42 pm by Julian Whybra

» number of rounds
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Nov 28, 2022 1:03 pm by free1954

» Did Chelmsford just misinterpret the Reconnaissance information that he had?
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySun Nov 27, 2022 8:13 pm by Tig Van Milcroft

» Recovered weapons from Gingindhlovu and Kambula
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySat Nov 26, 2022 12:55 pm by ADMIN

» Ian Knight. November 2022: AZW Battlefield Sites Report
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySat Nov 26, 2022 12:50 pm by ADMIN

» Company Sergeant Major F. W. Peake, Royal Engineers
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySat Nov 26, 2022 6:25 am by rai

» "Ex-Sergeant Major Craven" - a Curio.
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySat Nov 26, 2022 5:54 am by rai

» Sam's a veteran of the Zulu War
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySat Nov 26, 2022 4:47 am by rai

» 2/24th Deployment January 1879
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyFri Nov 25, 2022 6:02 pm by harry67

» Hidden Ground at Isandlwana
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Nov 24, 2022 5:19 pm by Tig Van Milcroft

» The death of David Jones.
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Nov 24, 2022 2:54 pm by Eddie

» Commissary E. W. H. Webb, C.B.
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Nov 24, 2022 9:26 am by rai

» Sergeant Thomas Moss ASC
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Nov 24, 2022 8:19 am by rai

» Suicide of Mr Harry George Scrivener
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Nov 24, 2022 7:49 am by rai

» Lumpy Flowers Fake Documents.
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 8:48 pm by ADMIN

» Hitch and Bromhead
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyWed Nov 23, 2022 8:12 am by Kenny

» Hlobane and Kambula by Col J M Cowper 2/4th Imperial Mounted Infantry?
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyTue Nov 22, 2022 7:46 pm by Julian Whybra

» Corporal 1885 Charles Cass 1st Kings Dragoon Guards
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyTue Nov 22, 2022 6:20 am by rai

» Gingindhlovu and the Mounted Infantry charge
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 8:30 pm by gardner1879

» Arthur Bancroft 99th Duke of Edinburgh's (Lanarkshire) Regiment of Foot
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 12:18 pm by rai

» Private Thomas Large 1263 99th Regiment
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 11:58 am by rai

» J Peacock
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 11:20 am by rai

» Private 1660 William Chignall 90th Regiment
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 10:35 am by rai

» Evan Henry Clarke NNC?
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 5:05 am by rai

» Henry Louis Norden
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Nov 21, 2022 4:30 am by rai

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Zulu War Chants (Film Zulu)
Top posters
90th
Zulu Victory - Views?  Bar_leftZulu Victory - Views?  BarZulu Victory - Views?  Bar_right 
Frank Allewell
Zulu Victory - Views?  Bar_leftZulu Victory - Views?  BarZulu Victory - Views?  Bar_right 
littlehand
ADMIN
1879graves
Julian Whybra
rusteze
John Young
gardner1879
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
Top posting users this month
rai
Eddie
John Young
gardner1879
lfmcgee4
Julian Whybra
Kenny
harry67
Drakewood
Tig Van Milcroft
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Adding to the Library
Durnford was he capable.5
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.
Keywords
henry 24th Mounted horse harford john Woolfryes Isandlwana Roll james 2022 drift spalding brown payne Franklin Durnford Jones martini taylor Prince Natal Police smith Russell George

Zulu Victory - Views?

Go down 
+3
90th
ciroferrara
Drummer Boy 14
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

Zulu Victory - Views?  Empty
PostSubject: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jun 25, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering what members views are on the book Zulu Victory?

I myself find the works of Jackson, Knight and Snook to be the best three accounts of Isandlwana with Jackson's being the most important. When I read Zulu Victory I was disappointed with the high number of basic errors over the ammunition myth and putting the wrong Lt with the H company stand for example. I found the overall book not very useful when compared to the ones i mentioned above so would be interested to hear other people's views on this and the books they judge to be the most useful.

Many thanks,
Sam

Back to top Go down
ciroferrara

ciroferrara

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jun 25, 2020 6:47 pm

In some ways I found it highly readable but I find that hill of the sphinx and Zulu rising were easily the best two books.. not too keen on snook. Zulu victory had it's merits, read almost novel like.
Ciroferrara
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Zulu Victory - Views    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jun 25, 2020 6:55 pm

Hi Sam
I read Z.Victory many years ago , don't really remember it being earth shattering , but I do think it's worth having , agree with Ciroferrara , ' Hill Of The Sphinx ' and ' Zulu Rising ' as excellent books on Isandlwana , Snook's book is a great read , he describes the battle excellently , but that's what it is ....a read ! , basically no footnotes throughout the book to back up his theories , claims etc , also one I read several years ago , he's very Pro the 24th and those in it , certainly Anti Durnford , and everyone else from memory ? .
90th
Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 9:38 am

Hi Ciroferrara, 90th,

I agree with you both here. Jackson's work is a must read and Knight's Zulu Rising is great also.

I think anyone looking at Isandlwana should read Mike Snook's book as his telling of the battle is incredible and really helps the reader understand the battle. But given his lack of foot notes it should only be read in addition to Jackson's account.

Many thanks,
Sam

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 11:45 am

Mike Snook has to be taken with a serious helping of salt. There are some serious misgivings with his loyalty overlapping known facts and modern interpretation, Pope is a classic example, his line stretching all the way to Amatutshane is another. I approached him on a few areas only to be told he had 'moved on'.
I dont always agree with Ian Knight but he sticks rock solid to known facts, very little speculation and hell he tells a good story, thats his living so he has to be good. Zulu Rising is the best all round book there is, thats not to denigate David Jackson. DJ is pure solid researched history, IK is a damn fine narrative.
In order of position on my bookshelf? DJ, IK, Noddy, Snook Shocked
Back to top Go down
AlCapone

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 1:49 pm

Snook's understanding of the regimental system is second to none, and he is professional military which gives his thinking around command decisions a feeling of authenticity.  For example he writes quite well about terrain and how it might have impacted the battle. But his rendition of the final half hour of the fight I find to be not merely "un-footnoted" but verging on fantasy.  His is a clockwork world of besieged men who, though facing certain annihilation, maneuver with parade ground precision to the last. This contrasts with most of the surviving accounts of Zulus present on the battlefield -- though they had a great deal of incentive to please their captors. Knight's Zulu Rising is best followed closely by Jackson, IMO.  Valuable as he is in some regards, Snook's contribution does not belong in that company.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Good Summary
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Hi
Although I found ZV thought-provoking in many respects I have found that some quotations have been misquoted which can be deeply frustrating. Something jars...I think 'surely that's not right'...check the primary source...and it isn't right. It's happened on a number of occasions and not just with quotations but also with the order of events, times, figures. So, basically, though it's a good read, I always have to check everything.
As an aside, Jackson is no. 1.
Back to top Go down
WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 6:52 pm

I rather enjoyed Zulu Victory; although to be fair there are very few AZW books I'm not fond of. ZV presents some interesting theories and a few revelations that I haven't seen many other authors hone in on (the second attempt to save a Colour discussed by Jackson). Zulu Rising is my go-to for these events, but I really do enjoy How Can Man Die Better; it's beautifully written even if I don't agree with all the theories.

Jackson's work is visionary and in a league of its own although I unfortunately have not yet been able to track down a copy of Hill of the Sphinx within my budget! His Sources Re Examined is a must have.

Back to top Go down

Zulu Victory - Views?
Page 1 of 1