WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Lord Chelmsford Said .Buller is ‘one of the finest soldiers of the century’, so modest and reticent –that it was difficult to say for what individual deed he had got the Victoria Cross as he had been doing acts worthy of it all along the line

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» Pete Smith Cottage.
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyToday at 6:29 am by 90th

» Lt C. Williams KIA Hlobane
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyToday at 5:09 am by 90th

» Diamond Fields Horse in Zululand
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyToday at 4:58 am by 90th

» Buffalo Border Guard Anonymous Letter
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyYesterday at 11:42 pm by Julian Whybra

» Surgn. J. McGann. A. M. Dept
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyYesterday at 11:07 pm by ADMIN

» Lieutenant-Colonel William Henry Dowling Reeves Welman, 99th
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyYesterday at 10:54 pm by ADMIN

» Commander C. Lindsay.
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyYesterday at 10:42 pm by ADMIN

» Reopening National Archives
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyYesterday at 10:01 pm by Bill8183

» S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyYesterday at 1:48 pm by Julian Whybra

» NNC Officer List
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyYesterday at 1:45 pm by Ells

» One of the lesser-known stories. It took place around the same time as Isandlwana.
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyYesterday at 7:37 am by Julian Whybra

» N Batt 5th Bde RA
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySat Jul 04, 2020 11:52 am by Rory Reynolds

» Questions of Time and Place at Isandlwana
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 12:38 pm by Frank Allewell

» Question Regarding the Uniforms of the Officers of the 24th at Isandlwana
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 6:06 am by SRB1965

» Malicious malware on this site
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 10:26 pm by intombe

» Zulu Victory - Views?
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 6:52 pm by WeekendWarrior

» Isandlwana Survivor photo's
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 3:56 pm by Julian Whybra

» Anyone got information on this.
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 3:55 pm by Julian Whybra

» Captn. H. G. Bowen, 88th Foot
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 1:18 pm by gstew88

» The South Africa Medal to HMS Forester - an anomaly?
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 7:41 pm by Petty Officer Tom

» Lieut. R. F. Dixon NMR
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 5:01 am by 90th

» Next month's DNW medal auction
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyTue Jun 30, 2020 6:45 am by 90th

» Zulu war medals on eBay
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Jun 29, 2020 5:14 pm by SergioD

» John Basten
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySun Jun 28, 2020 1:20 pm by Petty Officer Tom

» Lieutenant Walter Robert Higginson NNC
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySun Jun 28, 2020 11:19 am by ciroferrara

» Letter home from Eshowe
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jun 25, 2020 2:24 pm by Blackcat

» Melvill's Revolver Cylinder
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jun 25, 2020 10:05 am by Drummer Boy 14

» Assistant Commissary W. Winspear Commissariat Department, present at Gingindlovu
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyMon Jun 22, 2020 12:05 pm by ADMIN

» Orders to laager at Isandhlwana
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySun Jun 21, 2020 7:11 pm by SRB1965

» morale and the siege at Eshowe
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyFri Jun 19, 2020 9:58 am by Blackcat

» CUNNINGHAM
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyFri Jun 19, 2020 8:43 am by Julian Whybra

» ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySat Jun 13, 2020 6:21 am by 90th

» Crimes back in England
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jun 11, 2020 3:44 pm by Catiline63

» Brevet Major. Henry Spalding of Rorke's Drift and Information for Columns
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 12:14 pm by Frank Allewell

» Missing Cairns?
Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptySat Jun 06, 2020 4:04 am by WeekendWarrior

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Rorke's Drift A Soldier's Story with presenter Major John Thomas
Top posters
90th
Zulu Victory - Views?  Bar_leftZulu Victory - Views?  BarZulu Victory - Views?  Bar_right 
Frank Allewell
Zulu Victory - Views?  Bar_leftZulu Victory - Views?  BarZulu Victory - Views?  Bar_right 
littlehand
ADMIN
1879graves
rusteze
Chelmsfordthescapegoat
John
Mr M. Cooper
Julian Whybra
Top posting users this month
Frank Allewell
Julian Whybra
90th
WeekendWarrior
ADMIN
Rory Reynolds
Ells
Brett Hendey
John Young
briannorris@sos.co.za
Most active topics
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Durnford was he capable.1
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable.2
Durnford was he capable. 3
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
The missing five hours.
Adding to the Library
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
Durnford was he capable.5
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Zulu Victory - Views?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

Zulu Victory - Views?  Empty
PostSubject: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jun 25, 2020 3:05 pm

Hi all,

I was wondering what members views are on the book Zulu Victory?

I myself find the works of Jackson, Knight and Snook to be the best three accounts of Isandlwana with Jackson's being the most important. When I read Zulu Victory I was disappointed with the high number of basic errors over the ammunition myth and putting the wrong Lt with the H company stand for example. I found the overall book not very useful when compared to the ones i mentioned above so would be interested to hear other people's views on this and the books they judge to be the most useful.

Many thanks,
Sam

Back to top Go down
ciroferrara

ciroferrara

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jun 25, 2020 6:47 pm

In some ways I found it highly readable but I find that hill of the sphinx and Zulu rising were easily the best two books.. not too keen on snook. Zulu victory had it's merits, read almost novel like.
Ciroferrara

AlCapone likes this post

Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: Zulu Victory - Views    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jun 25, 2020 6:55 pm

Hi Sam
I read Z.Victory many years ago , don't really remember it being earth shattering , but I do think it's worth having , agree with Ciroferrara , ' Hill Of The Sphinx ' and ' Zulu Rising ' as excellent books on Isandlwana , Snook's book is a great read , he describes the battle excellently , but that's what it is ....a read ! , basically no footnotes throughout the book to back up his theories , claims etc , also one I read several years ago , he's very Pro the 24th and those in it , certainly Anti Durnford , and everyone else from memory ? .
90th

eaton likes this post

Back to top Go down
Drummer Boy 14

Drummer Boy 14

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 9:38 am

Hi Ciroferrara, 90th,

I agree with you both here. Jackson's work is a must read and Knight's Zulu Rising is great also.

I think anyone looking at Isandlwana should read Mike Snook's book as his telling of the battle is incredible and really helps the reader understand the battle. But given his lack of foot notes it should only be read in addition to Jackson's account.

Many thanks,
Sam

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 11:45 am

Mike Snook has to be taken with a serious helping of salt. There are some serious misgivings with his loyalty overlapping known facts and modern interpretation, Pope is a classic example, his line stretching all the way to Amatutshane is another. I approached him on a few areas only to be told he had 'moved on'.
I dont always agree with Ian Knight but he sticks rock solid to known facts, very little speculation and hell he tells a good story, thats his living so he has to be good. Zulu Rising is the best all round book there is, thats not to denigate David Jackson. DJ is pure solid researched history, IK is a damn fine narrative.
In order of position on my bookshelf? DJ, IK, Noddy, Snook Shocked

AlCapone likes this post

Back to top Go down
AlCapone

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 1:49 pm

Snook's understanding of the regimental system is second to none, and he is professional military which gives his thinking around command decisions a feeling of authenticity.  For example he writes quite well about terrain and how it might have impacted the battle. But his rendition of the final half hour of the fight I find to be not merely "un-footnoted" but verging on fantasy.  His is a clockwork world of besieged men who, though facing certain annihilation, maneuver with parade ground precision to the last. This contrasts with most of the surviving accounts of Zulus present on the battlefield -- though they had a great deal of incentive to please their captors. Knight's Zulu Rising is best followed closely by Jackson, IMO.  Valuable as he is in some regards, Snook's contribution does not belong in that company.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 2:47 pm

Good Summary

AlCapone likes this post

Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 3:54 pm

Hi
Although I found ZV thought-provoking in many respects I have found that some quotations have been misquoted which can be deeply frustrating. Something jars...I think 'surely that's not right'...check the primary source...and it isn't right. It's happened on a number of occasions and not just with quotations but also with the order of events, times, figures. So, basically, though it's a good read, I always have to check everything.
As an aside, Jackson is no. 1.
Back to top Go down
WeekendWarrior

WeekendWarrior

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 6:52 pm

I rather enjoyed Zulu Victory; although to be fair there are very few AZW books I'm not fond of. ZV presents some interesting theories and a few revelations that I haven't seen many other authors hone in on (the second attempt to save a Colour discussed by Jackson). Zulu Rising is my go-to for these events, but I really do enjoy How Can Man Die Better; it's beautifully written even if I don't agree with all the theories.

Jackson's work is visionary and in a league of its own although I unfortunately have not yet been able to track down a copy of Hill of the Sphinx within my budget! His Sources Re Examined is a must have.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zulu Victory - Views?    Zulu Victory - Views?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Zulu Victory - Views?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM  :: ZULU WAR PUBLICATIONS & REVIEWS-
Jump to: