WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» 1409 Pte David Lloyd, Defender of Rorke's Drift
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyToday at 8:19 am by Julian Whybra

» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyYesterday at 9:36 am by Hobbes

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 23, 2024 7:10 pm by cmeghen

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 2:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 11:28 am by Eddie

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 9:26 am by SRB1965

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» No. 985. PTE. EDWARD READ. 2-24 Regt. (South Wales Borders).
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:12 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private Willis 2/24th Regiment his letter from South Africa
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 13, 2024 2:49 pm by 1879graves

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 12, 2024 4:52 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 5:20 pm by Kenny

» Brevet Major W.R.B. Chamberlin
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 5:44 pm by Jager1

» Private 1941 Samuel MacClue / McClune 1/24th Regiment
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 3:11 pm by Dash

» Sergeant W E Warren RA - Veteran
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 10:50 am by DavidS

» "With 6 good riflemen"
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 06, 2024 5:10 pm by Hobbes

» Punch's view of Chelmsford's tactics!
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2024 5:17 pm by SRB1965

» Colonialism: A Moral Legacy
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyMon Apr 01, 2024 11:16 am by Julian Whybra

» John Robert Dunn
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 12:09 pm by 90th

» An early memorial to the Prince Imperial?
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 10:35 am by John Young

» The Poem "A Child Hero" referring to Rupert Weatherley
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 29, 2024 1:07 pm by Bongo

» Writing advice
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 26, 2024 2:26 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private John Scott 24th Regiment a fugitive at large
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 20, 2024 12:53 pm by Dash

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm by Julian Whybra

» 100,000 posts!
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 19, 2024 2:20 pm by Julian Whybra

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Hobbes
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 Bar_leftLaagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 BarLaagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 Bar_right 
Julian Whybra
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 Bar_leftLaagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 BarLaagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 Bar_right 
John Young
Kenny
A Crockart
Petty Officer Tom
SRB1965
Eddie
Jager1
cmeghen
New topics
» The curious tale of Cetshwayo's "gunpowder depot" and an aggressive snake
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 24, 2024 3:26 pm by Hobbes

» Lieut. B. Pohl, No. 7 Coy 1/3 Natal Native Contingent
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 12:38 am by WeekendWarrior

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson photographs.
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 19, 2024 7:04 am by John Young

» Late Father's Militaria Collection
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 18, 2024 3:04 pm by A Crockart

» Anson A. Mayer/Maher
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 16, 2024 5:28 pm by cmeghen

» A Hungarian soldier in the Zulu War (?)
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 14, 2024 8:01 pm by Hobbes

» Sickness among Crealock's men
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 11, 2024 8:51 pm by Hobbes

» Wheeler John Cantwell DCM, RD survivor of the Royal Horse Artillery
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 07, 2024 9:36 pm by Hobbes

» John Robert Dunn
Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 30, 2024 11:47 am by SueSNB

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants

Go down 
+7
Julian Whybra
Herbie
90th
John Young
Frank Allewell
24th
gardner1879
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 7:57 am

Morning Kate
Quote: Thats fine but all I would say is that if we adopted this approach in relation to the battle with its huge gaping holes in the evidence then not a single book would have been written on the subject. We would all be sitting back waiting for that holy grail piece of correspondance to surface that explained exactly what happened."
Its on its way. " Isandlwana, Solving the Enigma." [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 8:31 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Sample page Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 9:27 am

Kate
No not any better though I do have 2 days of anti-biotics still to go, thanks.
I agree it's a worthy course you've embarked on and its importance has not been such as to have received due recognition - possibly for the very reason that LC did not himself attach that importance to it. Though Glyn might. That has to be found out. I suppose ultimately LC might be said to have been right about not needing to laager, UNDER CERTAIN CIRCUMSTANCES, as at Ulundi. It's just that those circs didn't apply at Isandhlwana - and that's where the criticism should lie. He never intended that a small force like Pulleine's should be 'caught with its trousers down' in an indefensible position. Yet he allowed it to happen for a few vital hours because his eye was off the ball. He learnt an important lesson that day; others paid the price for his mistake.
My 'don't know-wait and see' box is not one that excludes finding all available evidence, discussion of it or making suggestions. It is simply not one that states the goal first and then sets out to prove it. I've rambled a bit here but my head is swimming - amoxicillin, ibuprofen, beconese, benylin, chlorasomething, inGobamakhosi....
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 10:02 am

Crikey that is quite a list of drugs. Shocked
I would lay off the inGobamakhosi though.

Taken Raw it initially doesn't seem to be having much effect, apparently lying dormant in the body but its effects will suddenly hit you and can lead to swelling of the nek, panic attacks, loose bowls and ultimately the complete collapse of the bodies resistance.
Alcohol is the best medicine. Can I recommend a good strong laager in the evening Joker

Now you run along back to the sick bay where you belong.

Looking forward to it Frank
Kate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 11:14 am

Ho ho!
Back to top Go down
John Young

John Young

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 3:41 pm

Frank,

I’m looking forward to it as well, if only the publisher would respond to my e-mails.

JY
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 3:50 pm

John...what you too? And I thought I was being patient!
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 3:54 pm

At the moment Julian you are a patient!
I ordered number 14 back in December but since then no updates from the publishers or response about delivery times. Frank has given me an update but I will leave it for him to respond.
Kate

post 303 Shocked
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 4:05 pm

OK so I'm a patient patient. Sounds like someone from Catch 22: Major Major the patient patient.
Back to top Go down
Bill8183

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 6:27 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only one. Emailed yesterday again about number 18. See what she says.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 08, 2022 7:52 pm

Hi Folks
Unfortunatly I have no say in when things happen. However in saying that, SA is in the throes of holiday season, Builders Holidays on which everyone works ends middle of next week. I believe Aulette will be back at work then.
Before xmas I was told that the paper backs would be distributed before New Year and they have started to do that. The end papers for the hard covers were sent to me for signature on the 18th December and returned on the 20th ready for printing in January.
Thats really all the information I have for the time being. I will ring the office at 30 degrees mid week and see if I can garner anything more and then re post.

Frank
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 12:08 pm

Kate
Does this help?
Notes from Shiela Henderson:
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 12:53 pm

Hmm, interesting.  It reads like he joined just as a conductor, no more than that.  I assume he survived the battle...more research to do!
Frank, these Sheila Henderson notes, are they at Talana or in the Campbell Collections?
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 1:10 pm

Julian they are at Talana. All in AZW 16200 files.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 3:43 pm

Brilliant. Thanks Frank
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 4:38 pm

Thanks Frank
There is a similar account in 'The Zulu War and the Colony of Natal' published by Qualitas LTD in 1979
The reason the Dubois did not join was because they were not happy about the carefree mood of the British Staff Officers and spoke sourly of the army "picnicking"
Kate
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 4:55 pm

Frank
Louis Phillippe DuBois's brother, Edward Ormond Lionel DuBOIS (corrected later by hand, I notice, in the above doc. from ‘Edmond’), was born in 1846. Since he lived until 1919 he must have escaped the massacre.
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 5:20 pm

According to Sheila the three brothers were Edmond, Robert and Louis.
Edmond and Robert "refused flaty to join the column." for the reasons I've written above.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 5:46 pm

Hi
There were more siblings than just three. Look carefully at the hand-written part above - you'll see Sheila's corrected Edmond to Edward. This is borne out by his birth certificate and marriage certificate: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Look at his signature - Edward Ormond Lionel Du Bois.
His family tree - the family settled in Greytown - can be found on [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Refused flatly, yes, but apparently according to Sheila then changed his mind and accompanied the Column to Isandhlwana.

Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 6:11 pm

So the children are:-
James du Bois 1800 – 1.8.1856 Durban • MVJW-H5Z​​
Frances Hyslop 1817 – Nov 1877 Dundee • MVJW-H5L​​
Children of Frances Hyslop and James du Bois (8)
Robert James Du Bois 1839–1908 • MVJW-HPT​​
Walter Alfred Du Bois 1840–1906 • 97LJ-9RT​​
Edward Hyslop Du Bois 1841–Deceased • LY1F-X3H​​
Fanny Bertha Rosalie Du Bois 1842–1908 • LY1F-Z9C​​
Louis Phillipe Du Bois 1844–1879 • LY13-WY5​​
Edmund Ormond Lionel du Bois SV/PROG 24.5.1846 London – 16.4.1919 Dundee • L5RR-VJ5​​
Conrad William Du Bois 29.8.1849 London – 15.7.1883 Biggarsberg • LY13-W8R​​
Fanny Laura Du Bois Deceased • LY1F-6SZ​​ [1]

Edmond (or Edmund) and Robert did not go but could the lack of information about Edward's death be down to him unofficially tagging along with the column and being KIA at iSandlwana?
If so he would have been at most a conductor and not the elusive Laager Commandant.
Frank is there any other material written by Sheila that backs up the note written on the document?
She makes no mention in her article when talking about the Dubois family about an Edward going with the column so am assuming the note was written after the article was published.
Kate
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 20, 2022 7:07 pm

Kate
Im busy looking through the file at present, its huge Shiela loved writing things down copiously.
Frank
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 6:21 am

Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 6:25 am

Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 8:29 am

Morning Frank thanks for posting these up. They make very interesting reading. I am assuming these are Sheilas's notes for various articles she wrote as there are elements in there very similar to this article written by her:-

So the Erskine and Dubois families knew each other and Edmond and Robert had been in action before.
However she only writes Dubois above. I'm wondering if there had been two in the column, Edward and Louis, would she not have quantified it by using a first name when describing the death. In "The Zulu war and The Colony of Natal" she only mentions Louis as going. There is no mention of Edward.

Interesting about the artillerymen trying to open the ammunition boxes.
Now for my morning brew.
Kate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 8:41 am

Kate yes these are all the rough notes for a number of her articles. Still wading through them, some really interesting thoughts letters and snippets.
33 degrees here and climbing so time for my morning brew and it aint Tea.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 10:11 am

Gone quiet. Researching. In the zone.
By the by, Kate, who was the 'Jackson' who was also safe, referred to at the beginning of the excerpt you posted at 8.29 am?
And...
the earlier Erskine-Du Bois Limpopo expedition can be found at:
'Journey of Exploration to the Mouth of the River Limpopo'
Author(s): Vincent W. Erskine
Source: The Journal of the Royal Geographical Society of London , 1869, Vol. 39 (1869),
pp. 233-276
Published by: Wiley on behalf of The Royal Geographical Society (with the Institute of
British Geographers)
Stable URL: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 3:06 pm

The Du Bois males:
Edmund Ormond Lionel died 16.4.1919 Helpmekaar
Robert James died 12.12.1908 Cape Town
Walter Alfred died 1906
Edward Hyslop died 1905
Louis Phillippe. kia 22.1.1879
Conrad William died 15.7.1883 Biggarsberg
Either Edmund (acc. to Sheila Henderson) or Robert ([and was kia] see p. 47 ZV - no source given, pretty obviously an error for Louis) or Edward (acc. to Henderson possibly, depending on how you read it, which I doubt because he married and had children in England) engaged as a conductor and went to Isandhlwana.  Edmund (by a process of elimination it WAS him) evidently escaped because he lived locally, had children, and died in the C20.

Last edited by Julian Whybra on Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 4:37 pm

It looks like Edmund's marriage certificate contains a number of errors - was the vicar inebriated? - hence the confusion as to whether it was Edmund or Edward written.
It doesn’t help that Sheila Henderson seems to have ‘corrected’ Edmond to Edward in her Notes.
Even Edmund’s birth register entry in England (Alverstoke, Hampshire) was made out to Emma Ormond Lionel!!!
However Edmund’s son and grandson were both Edmund Ormond Lionel the II and III so I’m pretty sure that this is the man’s correct name and spelling.
I’ve written to Talana to ask if they have anything on the Du Bois and a possible presence oof Edmund at Isandhlwana apart from Sheila’s notes.
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 9:53 pm

Hmm I don't seem to be getting notifications of postings to this thread.
Sorry chaps.
Julian I will look back through the article and try and dig out more about Jackson.
Thanks for all your help re the Du Bois family.
It appears after the disaster the Dubois brothers, along with Dohnes and such local families as had not fled, were brought into Fort Pine by Robson and remnants of the Buffalo Border Guard.
All cars wait for an update.
Kate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 10:22 pm

Got it Julian.
It seems Jackson was Henry Francis Fynn's interpreter who lived in a wattle-and-daub thatched cottage near Fynn's magistracy in Umsinga. A mile away two Brickhill brothers lived at Knox Store.
Another unknown iSandlwana survivor perhaps?

This also about the Du Bois:-
"The hunters, traders and sawyers of Helpmekaar whose livelihood was ultimatly related to Zululand, were invaluable sources of information. Among the best were the DuBois brothers, highly experienced and balanced judges of affairs. Their reports underline the major problem; how to control the border"

Perhaps this is why Glynn wanted to employ them so much
Kate Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 21, 2022 11:41 pm

Right. I think a lot will depend on what was said previously about Jackson and the context, but he may yet prove interesting. I wouldn't have thought Fynn needed an interpreter (unless it was in Dutch); I thought he spoke fluent Zulu.
Interesting too that Henderson says that it was GLYN (the column commander) doing the searching and interviewing for a laager commdt. It does at least show that Glyn had not given up trying to find one.
By the by I am also not getting notifications about this thread. Is it catching?
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 5:37 am

Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 9:49 am

As I thought. Perhaps Jackson worked for Fynn as an assistant?
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 10:14 am

I have a reference to a number of letters sent to a Mr Jackson. Just chasing them down.
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 10:16 am

Morning all on this special day. Hope everyone had a restful night, uninterupted by too many false alarms.
Frank are Sheila's notes dated?
The article I have was written by her I believe c1978/9.
Heres her description of Jackson.

I agree it does seem odd he would need an interpreter. Keep your eyes peeled going through the notes Frank for any other mention of him. Sheila has obviously got him from somewhere but there are no source notes attached to the article.

Re Henderson, thats why Bellairs asked GLYN who had been appointed to the role of Laager Commandant in the letter on page 1 of this thread. Though Bellairs must have spoken to Chelmsford about it, who probably denied all knowledge of knowing anything about the appointment despite GLYN informing him about the problem.

Sorry Frank our posts seemed to have crossed there.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 10:49 am

I need to be carefull how I phrase this to be PC.
Generally the white population in SA had/has a distinct disability to pronounce Zulu/Xhosa names so second names were taken with a more european sound. Jackson was a very popular name. Wink
Fynn had a number of wives both white and zulu with a vast array of children, I would suggest the possibility that Jackson could have been one of those. Just thinking out loud and sorry if this offends.
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 12:05 pm

Sorry the Jackson letters I have were written by Walter Jones.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 22, 2022 1:42 pm

No offence Frank. No need to apologize.
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 7:03 pm

Finally found the answer to my initial question:-
"THERE WAS NO LAAGAR COMMANDANT WITH NUMBER 3 COLUMN"

Clery:-
"Every effort was made to obtain the services of a Laagar Commandant during the fortnight I was attached to the column previous to its advance into Zululand -
First a Mr Dubois who was respected by the resident magistrate at Umsinga as a very competent person appeared willing to accept the appointment, but kept putting off making an agreement and finally refused to come. Next a Mr Woodruffe similarly recommended continued in treaty and secured as if he wished to come, but he at the last moment refused also to come. So that no Laagar Commandant accompanied the column"
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 12, 2022 7:22 pm

QED
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptySun Feb 13, 2022 6:14 pm

For anybody who is still awake and not lost the will to live with this topic:

Apparently, no laager was formed as the wagons were due to go back to RD the next day.

Clery 9th February 1879 to Lord Chelmsford, early on the morning of the 22nd:-

"I mentioned to him that the empty wagons were, according to his orders, to start at daybreak for Rorke's Drift, which would reduce the force left in camp by hte escort required by the wagons. The General then directed that these wagons should not go back that day."

If a laager commandant had been present, and with the wagons not going back to RD, he could have been instructed to form a small defensive laagar for the oxen or perhaps as a redoubt.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 8:37 am

Kate
Not all the waggons were due to go back. It was just 30 if memory serves me correctly. These were due to go back under Smith-Dorrien's command.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 9:06 am

Kate
The thread is not boring everyone to death - far from it.
I think that while most of us recognized that there was no official appointment of a laager commdt. to No. 3 Column, the other question to be answered is whether there was anyone in camp who, if called upon in an emergency, could function, unofficially, in that capacity.  I believe there was but I have a lot more research to do on the man before I commit myself.

Last edited by Julian Whybra on Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 9:47 am

Sorry I should have clarified my last post.
I was aware that not all the wagons were going back but its always put forward that waggons were not formed into a laager because they were being prepared to go back to RD.

But this shows they weren't. LC cancelled the order and, before he set off, if he had had the trained personnel he could have ordered the empty wagons to form a small laager somehwhere around the camp possibly on the reverse slope of the nek where the wagons were lined up.
He only had to give the order ....IF he had the trained personnel. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 14, 2022 11:46 am

One thing thats often overlooked is the wagons themselves. The original Trek Boer used a much smaller wagon, easier to move by hand and more adaptable. The much bigger examples used by the army were very cumbersome, heavy and unwieldy by hand. I would hate to try and guess how many men it would take to try and move them.
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyThu Feb 17, 2022 5:56 pm

Wood managed it Frank with the same mix of wagons. But then he had a Laager Commandant Wink

Another dubious quote from LordC dated the 27th January:-

"Had the force in question but taken up a defensive position in the camp itself and utilised there the materials for a hasty entrenchment which lay near to hand, I feel absolutely confident that the whole Zulu army would not have been able to dislodge them"

This just shows how little Chelmsford understood about the speed and effectiveness of a Zulu attack.

He then says:-
"It appears that the oxen were yoked to the wagons three hours before the attack took place so that there was ample time to construct a laager which the Dutch in former days understood so well"

Which begs the question in correspondance with my Feb 13th 6.14pm post, if LC cancelled the order to send back the wagons to RD why did HE not order a laager formed before he left?
Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Frank Allewell

Frank Allewell

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2022 11:06 am

Kate, there was quite a senior Conductor at iSandlwana with Durnfords Column, David Nolan, Im just trying to chase down more info on him.
Back to top Go down
gardner1879

gardner1879

PostSubject: Re: Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants   Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 18, 2022 11:31 am

Standing by Frank.
Back to top Go down

Laagering of Wagons at iSandlwana and Laager Commandants
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3