WWW.1879ZULUWAR.COM

Film Zulu Dawn:General Lord Chelmsford: For a savage, as for a child, chastisement is sometimes a kindness. Sir Henry Bartle Frere: Let us hope, General, that this will be the final solution to the Zulu problem.

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Latest topics
» 100,000 posts!
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Your favourite line from Zulu or Zulu Dawn
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:47 pm by jgregory

» Zulu Dawn/Zulu - New Immortals Film The Way Forward ?
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 2:34 pm by jgregory

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptySat Mar 16, 2024 11:05 am by John Young

» Corporal James Frowen Williams F Company.
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 9:08 am by Julian Whybra

» British rations and morale
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 11:05 pm by Julian Whybra

» Blue Plaque to James Egan, alias Private Hagan
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyMon Mar 11, 2024 9:16 pm by ADMIN

» A few questions regarding Rorke's Drift and Isandlwana
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:16 pm by Julian Whybra

» William J Hoare 24th Regiment??
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptySun Mar 03, 2024 7:08 pm by Dash

» Swinburn Carbine issue in AZW
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 12:53 pm by Rob D

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 8:39 am by John Young

» Philip Price
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:55 am by Julian Whybra

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» August Hammar Letter Dated 6th Jan 1879
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Feb 22, 2024 8:34 pm by Stefaan

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:57 am by Julian Whybra

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyWed Feb 21, 2024 10:47 am by Julian Whybra

» About the second invasion
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyTue Feb 20, 2024 9:14 pm by 90th

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Watford band boys killed at iSandlwana
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyFri Feb 16, 2024 8:26 am by Julian Whybra

» Private J. McCrudden 1/13 Foot
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptySun Feb 11, 2024 3:10 am by 90th

» Death of Michael Jayson (Zulu Dawn)
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 9:55 pm by ADMIN

» The anniversary of 22nd January in 2024
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 3:51 pm by luke1997

» What was the distance?
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 8:46 am by Stefaan

» Mrs Henry Hook
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyTue Feb 06, 2024 3:14 pm by Kenny

» "With 6 good riflemen"
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 2:30 pm by Mr M. Cooper

» What was G company supposed to do?
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptySun Feb 04, 2024 9:31 pm by Julian Whybra

» Private 1445 Charles Meates 17th Lancers and his brother William Wylie
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 10:07 pm by John Young

» South Africa Medal With Clasp To Pvt J. Salter 3/60th
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyFri Feb 02, 2024 3:12 pm by Foody

» Weatherleys Border Horse Flag
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Feb 01, 2024 9:40 pm by Herbie

» Edward Plantagenet Kemeys-Tynte
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:06 pm by Edjg

» How many started?
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyTue Jan 23, 2024 10:10 am by Julian Whybra

» Firing Line formation
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyMon Jan 22, 2024 2:32 pm by Julian Whybra

» Why did Maj. Spalding have to go ?
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyWed Jan 17, 2024 9:40 pm by Stefaan

» Grape-shot at close range.
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyMon Jan 15, 2024 7:42 am by SRB1965

» Books Hlobane & Kambula
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyTue Jan 09, 2024 10:08 am by John Young

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Most active topics
Durnford was he capable.1
Durnford was he capable. 4
Durnford was he capable.5
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
Isandlwana, Last Stands
The ammunition question
Durnford was he capable. 3
Durnford was he capable.2
Pte David Jenkins. 'Forgotten' Survivor of Rorke's Drift Returned to Official Records
The missing five hours.
Most Viewed Topics
Please Do Not Post Ads on Our Forum
Google Chrome new standards imposed
Isandlwana, Last Stands
Recent Members To The ZULU WAR 1879 Discussion & Reference Forum ( A Small Victorian War in 1879)
The missing five hours.
ISANDLWANA SURVIVIORS
The ammunition question
Lieutenant Adendorff 1-3 N.N.C.
Top posting users this month
Julian Whybra
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard Bar_leftS.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard BarS.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard Bar_right 
Dash
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard Bar_leftS.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard BarS.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard Bar_right 
Hobbes
Bill8183
SRB1965
ADMIN
jgregory
Tig Van Milcroft
Rob Herrick
90th
New topics
» 100,000 posts!
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptySun Mar 17, 2024 11:14 am by ADMIN

» Badge on 2/60th and 3/60th foreign service helmets
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 8:27 pm by Rob Herrick

» British rations and morale
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 9:24 pm by Hobbes

» Alfred Fairlie Henderson
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Feb 29, 2024 7:47 am by RoryReynolds

» Australians who went to Zululand and fought in the 1879 war.
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyFri Feb 23, 2024 2:23 am by peterfarrell

» About the second invasion
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 9:53 pm by Hobbes

» Zulu Festival Brecon July 2024
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptySat Feb 17, 2024 7:35 pm by John Young

» Letter of officer during Zulu wars.
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 4:46 pm by Will M

» Bearing The Cross by Ken Blakeson | BBC RADIO DRAMA: Ken Blakeson's play tells the story of the Battle of Rorke's Drift and the effect it had on three of the soldiers who fought in it.
S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:24 am by ADMIN

Similar topics
Zero tolerance to harassment and bullying.
Due to recent events on this forum, we have now imposed a zero tolerance to harassment and bullying. All reports will be treated seriously, and will lead to a permanent ban of both membership and IP address. Any member blatantly corresponding in a deliberate and provoking manner will be removed from the forum as quickly as possible after the event.  If any members are being harassed behind the scenes PM facility by any member/s here at 1879zuluwar.com please do not hesitate to forward the offending text.  We are all here to communicate and enjoy the various discussions and information on the Anglo Zulu War of 1879. Opinions will vary, you will agree and disagree with one another, we will have debates, and so it goes. There is no excuse for harassment or bullying of anyone by another person on this site. The above applies to the main frame areas of the forum. The ring which is the last section on the forum, is available to those members who wish to partake in slagging matches. That section cannot be viewed by guests and only viewed by members that wish to do so. 
Fair Use Notice
Fair use notice. This website may contain copyrighted material the use of which has not been specifically authorised by the copyright owner. We are making such material and images are available in our efforts to advance the understanding of the “Anglo Zulu War of 1879. For educational & recreational purposes. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material, as provided for in UK copyright law. The information is purely for educational and research purposes only. No profit is made from any part of this website. If you hold the copyright on any material on the site, or material refers to you, and you would like it to be removed, please let us know and we will work with you to reach a resolution.

S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
littlehand

littlehand

S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard Empty
PostSubject: S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard   S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 11:21 pm

1879 Zulu War Medal. Named to S.SMITH he was a member of the Buffalo Border Guard. This was the home defence unit for the town of Dundee in Northern Natal. They were only some 20(25kms) miles from the battle site and small in numbers. Their full strength was only 30 or, 32 men and out of these only 24 received the 1879 bar - showing that they were present for the fighting. The others were guards in Dundee. They were an irregular cavalry unit and wore a black uniform with the pith helmet of the time. Trooper Smith is shown on the roll.

They were present at Isandhlawana on the 21st. and the small Force was split - about 10 remaining at the battle site and the others accompanying Gen. Chelmsford and his scouting group as far as the Mangeni Falls - about 20 kms. (15 miles) across the plain. During the Battle three members of the Buffalo Border Guard were killed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Brett Hendey

Brett Hendey

PostSubject: Re: S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard   S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 7:53 am

Since acquiring Trooper Smith's medal a few months ago, I have tried, largely unsuccessfully, to find out more about the man. The 'Natal Almanac and Register' of 1879 records him as:
"Smith, Sianey, wagonmaker, Longfontein, Helpmekaar".

"Sianey" is likely to be an incorrect spelling. In Terry Sole's recently published book on Colonials in the Zulu War, Smith is recorded as "Stanley". However, there is another opinion that has his forename as "Sydney".

Since Smith's medal surfaced with medals awarded to a 'Guttridge' from an extant member of the Guttridge family, there was clearly a strong link between the two families. The 1879 Natal Almanac includes the following listing:
"Gutridge (sic), Benjamin, blacksmith, Longfontein, Helpmekaar".

I have assumed that Stanley (or Sydney) Smith and Benjamin Guttridge were business partners, perhaps with offspring who intermarried, hence the later ownership of Smith's medal by a Guttridge descendent.

A nominal roll of the Buffalo Border Guard on another forum listed the following Guttridges:
Sergeant Jack Guttridge and Trooper Benjamin Guttridge

Sole's book gives the forenames of both these men as "John", with the Trooper John (or is it Benjamin?) as the man killed during the Battle of Isandlwana.

I would be interested in knowing if anyone reading this post can shed more light on the Smiths and Guttridges of the Buffalo Border Guard.

Regards
Brett

PS My interest in the Buffalo Border Guard stems from the fact that a distant relative, Trooper Charles Lennox Stretch, was an Isandlwana survivor. I mention this here because Sole has recorded this man as "Charles St Leger Stretch". So, there is another difference in forenames.
Back to top Go down
90th

90th

PostSubject: S.Smith. Buffalo Border Guard   S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 8:46 am

Hi Brett.
Fairly certain you have Laband's book on the Buffalo Border Guard ? , I'm not sure if he was the sole author , if not
Apologies to whom it may concern . This may help , unfortunately I dont own a copy as yet so not sure if it will help you ?.
cheers 90th. Idea
Back to top Go down
Brett Hendey

Brett Hendey

PostSubject: Re: S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard   S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Jul 28, 2011 2:07 pm

90th

Thank you for replying. I think the book you referred to is 'The Buffalo Border' by Laband, Thompson & Henderson, which was published in 1983.

It is a very useful book and it deals in some detail with the more prominent residents of this part of Natal, but lesser personalities such as Trooper Smith do not feature.

Regards
Brett
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard   S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 11:30 am

Brett
Two points i hope might help:
Sianey is more likely to be Sidney rather than Sydney or Stanley. My father-in-law's middle name was Sidney and in examining his service records i find that several times his name is typed Sianey. D and A are just a key apart from each other on the QWERTY keyboard and it's an easy slip of the finger to make.
In looking at the records I find it tends to be GUTRIDGE with a single t which is most common and most 'official'. The two t version occurs more often in letters and accounts.
Sergt. Gutridge found his brother's body at Isandhlwana on the 22nd and covered it with tent canvas.
Back to top Go down
Brett Hendey

Brett Hendey

PostSubject: Re: S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard   S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 2:43 pm

Julian
That is a most useful response! Many thanks. The medal is now in a new home in England, and I will pass your information on to the owner.
Kind regards
Brett
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard   S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyMon Jul 06, 2020 1:48 pm

Brett
It was Trpr. Benjamin Gutridge that was killed. Sergt. Jack Gutridge was out with Chelmsford. His safety was confirmed by MacPhail who met his wife in Dundee.
Back to top Go down
ggutridge

PostSubject: Re: S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard   S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyWed Mar 16, 2022 1:13 am

Hi Brett
I had found a note from my mother (info came from my father) saying that my Paternal-Great-Grandfather John (Jack) Gutridge had a medal from the Zulu War. I was searching these details when I came upon this website & this topic.
I was also interested in the S.Smith which you refer to, but again I have not been able to find the connection. From Sheilagh Spencer's research I have information that Benjamin Gutridge was at Longfontein Helpmekaar working as a Blacksmith. He died in 1879 (Isandhlwana) & as far I know did not marry or have children. John Gutridge was also a Blacksmith for his working life in Dundee (died in 1913). John Gutridge married Mary Ann Smith who was Peter Smith's niece (one of the founders of Dundee) & Lieutenant William Craighead Smith's cousin so this is my Smith/Gutridge connection but not what you were after. None of Peter Smith's other children were called 'Sidney/Stanley/Sydney' & they would have been contemporaries. His brother Thomas Smith that also settled in the Dundee area had no children.
My search also brought up the fact that the 1879 medal of Sergeant Jack Gutridge was sold at a Barnebys Auction in 2019.
Regards
Gillian
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard   S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyWed Mar 16, 2022 9:25 am

Smith is a very common name. There doesn't have to be a connexion with the Lieut. Smith. It could just be coincidence.
Back to top Go down
ggutridge

PostSubject: Re: S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard   S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 9:19 am

I understand that - I was ruling out a Smith/Gutridge connection that I am aware of. Especially as the Peter Smith family was prominent in the Dundee area.
Back to top Go down
Julian Whybra

PostSubject: Re: S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard   S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptyThu Mar 24, 2022 9:21 am

From the research I've done on the Smiths of Dundee, I totally agree with you.
Back to top Go down
Brett Hendey

Brett Hendey

PostSubject: Re: S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard   S.SMITH  Buffalo Border Guard EmptySat Mar 26, 2022 7:47 am

Hi Gillian & Julian

Thank you both for your contributions to this thread. Unfortunately, I do not know the name of the local Gutridge family member who sold family medals, together with the S Smith Zulu War medal, to a now deceased militaria dealer in Umhlanga near Durban in 2011. I hurried to secure Smith's medal, while the others were destined for a medal collector/dealer in England, who presumably sold on those he acquired.

Sidney Smith's medal is now treasured by a new temporary custodian in England.

Regards
Brett
Back to top Go down

S.SMITH Buffalo Border Guard
Page 1 of 1